PDA

View Full Version : Forced Styles Turned Off

Andy
04-Jul-2006, 12:50 AM
To coincide with the release of the new "retro" look, the forced style on general discussions has been turned off, so it now appears as the forum default unless you choose otherwise.

this is tempory for now, we'll decide if they are staying off or coming back on in a couple of weeks time, so please do leave comments telling us what you think.

You can change your style in your user control panel (http://www.homepageofthedead.com/vbb/profile.php?do=editoptions), or alternativly, by choosing a new style from the quick menu in the bottom left corner of any page.

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2006, 10:00 AM
I won't mince my words, I think it sucks.

I like my GD green, but I don't want everything green, it helps give me a heads up as to where I'm posting. There was bugger all wrong with it with the forced turned on for that one ickle forum...:(

Andy
05-Jul-2006, 07:51 AM
no-one else feels either way about this? no-one at all?

this topic is your only chance to put our opinions in.

MinionZombie
05-Jul-2006, 10:15 AM
See ... people don't care if GD is forced green.

Sorry about being so angry about it, but I'm still quite grumpy since the other day, but GD being green is part of HPOTD's identity. One forum with forced colours ... where's the harm? Get it back on, laddy. :cool:

HLS
05-Jul-2006, 12:35 PM
To coincide with the release of the new "retro" look, the forced style on general discussions has been turned off, so it now appears as the forum default unless you choose otherwise.

this is tempory for now, we'll decide if they are staying off or coming back on in a couple of weeks time, so please do leave comments telling us what you think.

You can change your style in your user control panel (http://www.homepageofthedead.com/vbb/profile.php?do=editoptions), or alternativly, by choosing a new style from the quick menu in the bottom left corner of any page.
I did not even know there was a forced color. I been set to "red" since day 1. As long as I keep my red in every forum i visit I am happy. Green puts me in a negative mood. lol

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jul-2006, 01:29 PM
I like the fact I can keep it red like the rest of the forum. I hated the fact it was green and everything else was red.

Please leave it as is.

Andy
05-Jul-2006, 01:38 PM
no-one cares eh MZ? thats 2 in favour of keeping it unforced :p

ive added a poll to make it easier to cast votes, and MZ i can tell when a polls been edited :p

but please do continue posting opinions folks.

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jul-2006, 02:08 PM
Voted to keep it off.

I would have voted sooner, but I didn't notice the thread until this morning. I didn't notice the thread in FD, DD, LOTD, or Trading. I have been trying to stay out of GD because lately the topics have been on the bland side... no offense to those posting, but nothing has caught my eye in terms of me needing to comment about it.

Please keep it off, whether or not a poll favors leaving it on, I say keep it off. :D

MinionZombie
05-Jul-2006, 02:47 PM
I've NEVER fixed a poll so shut ya-maaaaaf :rockbrow:

My point is, it's one ickle GD forum that's always been green, what's wrong with tradition? It was the only forum with a forced colour and it wasn't like the HPOTD staff door was being knocked down by rabid colour green haters with any-colour-but-green-froth spewing forth from their gnashing dentures...:|

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jul-2006, 06:26 PM
I've NEVER fixed a poll so shut ya-maaaaaf :rockbrow:

My point is, it's one ickle GD forum that's always been green, what's wrong with tradition? It was the only forum with a forced colour and it wasn't like the HPOTD staff door was being knocked down by rabid colour green haters with any-colour-but-green-froth spewing forth from their gnashing dentures...:|

[pounds on staff door:mad:] I hate GREEN! :D

Let's compromise... how's purple sound/look?

3 to 1 the majority wins.... No more forced colors!

MinionZombie
05-Jul-2006, 06:44 PM
Just cos you're sore you lost the ultimate Land poll, besides, this has been up for about 8 seconds and nobody knows about it cos they don't look. :p

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jul-2006, 12:36 AM
Just cos you're sore you lost the ultimate Land poll, besides, this has been up for about 8 seconds and nobody knows about it cos they don't look. :p

Good, then that means the Unforced styles people will win. muhahahahahaha :evil:

Adrenochrome
06-Jul-2006, 12:55 AM
Green puts me in a negative mood. lol
wow....you have GOT to be kidding.:bored:

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jul-2006, 10:05 AM
YES, we are still winning. :D

(Sung to the Cha Cha)
No forced styles for us, Cha Cha, No force styles for us Cha Cha Cha. :D

Guru ofthe Dead
06-Jul-2006, 05:02 PM
I would rather choose my own colors than being forced into a color. I don't like being forced into anything. Unless I'm going to enjoy it.

zombiegirl
06-Jul-2006, 05:09 PM
It won't bother me if the forum stays green but I prefer to be able to change the color. :)

MinionZombie
06-Jul-2006, 06:32 PM
Hey Andy - question here:

I don't know anything about all that fancy computer learnin' and know how and coding and whatever, is it possible to allow a user to choose different skin colours for individual forums on their own? I don't know what goes into coding all this jazz so...:confused:

Adrenochrome
06-Jul-2006, 06:55 PM

I don't know anything about all that fancy computer learnin' and know how and coding and whatever, is it possible to allow a user to choose different skin colours for individual forums on their own? I don't know what goes into coding all this jazz so...:confused:
in your options, there's a way to choose what you want it to look like everytime you log on.
The very bottom of "edit options" --- "forum skin"

Andy
06-Jul-2006, 07:00 PM

not by default but i think it could be made to do this.

and andreno i think he means for a individual forum, when choosing a scheme yourself it sets it globally :p

MinionZombie
06-Jul-2006, 09:20 PM
Exactly what I'm on about dude. I personally would love to have different colours for different forums, all one colour just makes me feel like I'm not in different places, and different colours adds some variety to my viewing and posting pleasure. :p

Indeed, so like for example I could have GD on green, Games on blue, Dead on grey and so on...

Happy 600 Andy :D

AcesandEights
06-Jul-2006, 09:27 PM
I think it's definitely cool for some of the old school folks to have the option to use the original forum skins. I really didn't like the look of the old forum though, so I do like having something that looks a bit more current.

Graebel
06-Jul-2006, 10:26 PM
I would accept a bribe for my vote.:rolleyes:

DjfunkmasterG
07-Jul-2006, 11:20 AM
Thats actually a good idea MZ.

I have a question. Is there a way to program what forums we want to see. I know you close "blocks" but I am talking individual forums. For instance I don't care for Fiction Discussion and Fiction sections, so I would like to know if it possible to remove these from my personal view.

erisi236
07-Jul-2006, 04:51 PM
I just wonder why anyone would care what colour any forum was, not everything has to be customised :)

so I vote "don't care"

MinionZombie
07-Jul-2006, 05:57 PM
And in turn that's another good idea Dj, being able to "cloak from your view" the forums you don't frequent - I too never venture into the Fiction section (I no longer write fiction, nor do I read the fiction here as I've no time, so why bother right?).

Indeed, it'd be cool if we could choose individual colours for individual forums and "stick" that choice to the forums in our User CP and change them when we want. All in one colour just makes me feel like I'm posting in the same place, it's a psychological colour thing I'm sure there's a name for or some sort of techno-babble...

DjfunkmasterG
09-Jul-2006, 09:28 PM
I just want to hide the forums I don't care for. :D

Oh and be able to color all the forums as I see fit. I hate forced anything, especially colors.

Andy
10-Jul-2006, 09:55 PM
well you can see which styles over people are using now :p

couldn't do that while its forcing them..

dunno if its possible to allow you to choose forums and schemes to hide.. i'll keep my eyes peeled though guys.

MinionZombie
10-Jul-2006, 09:59 PM
But it's not showing them right I don't think. It says I'm on blue ... but I'm on green. Also says Dj is on blue ... but he's on red.

Being able to set a colour for each individual forum would be a really, very cool feature though, add some variety, rather than all just one uniform colour, for those who want it. As you know my brain's been farting a lot this week, did you say something about that being possible or potentially possible, as in not really hard to do?

I don't 'get' all this coding talk. :D

Andy
10-Jul-2006, 10:07 PM
But it's not showing them right I don't think. It says I'm on blue ... but I'm on green. Also says Dj is on blue ... but he's on red.

go into your user cp and change your style there, that'll update it.

when you change your style on the quick list it dosn't update.

Chakobsa
28-Jul-2006, 12:06 AM
I did not even know there was a forced color. I been set to "red" since day 1. As long as I keep my red in every forum i visit I am happy. Green puts me in a negative mood. lol
Yeah, same here.

Andy
13-Aug-2006, 05:49 PM
i think its safe to declare this poll closed now. :)