PDA

View Full Version : Tony Scott commits suicide?

Neil
20-Aug-2012, 08:45 AM
The Top Gun director jumped from a bridge...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-19314967

The Los Angeles County Coroner's office said Scott's death was being investigated as a suicide.

British-born Scott, brother of Alien director Ridley, shot to fame in the 1980s with a string of action films.

The 68-year-old's films included Crimson Tide, Days of Thunder and True Romance.

"I can confirm that Tony Scott has passed away. The family asks that their privacy is respected at this time," Scott's spokesman, Simon Halls, said in a statement.

The coroner said Scott jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge, which spans San Pedro and Terminal Island in Los Angeles.

Lt Joe Bale, from the coroner's office, said the director was seen parking his car and jumping into the water at about 12:30 (19:30 GMT) on Sunday.

DjfunkmasterG
20-Aug-2012, 10:29 AM
Bummer, I was just reading about it this morning. I have always respected Tony Scott. I liked his visual style. As Ron Howard put it... "Sad day, no more Tony Scott films"

agreed Ron, agreed.

Neil
20-Aug-2012, 10:39 AM
I believe Top Gun 2 is possibly going to happen, with rumours Cruise is out on an air force base researching or something!? Guess Scott won't be around to direct unfortunately!

AcesandEights
20-Aug-2012, 01:22 PM
That's intense. Such desperate times.

I believe Top Gun 2 is possibly going to happen

Now I want to hop off a bridge.

bassman
20-Aug-2012, 01:33 PM
What a shame. True Romance is probably my favorite film of his. His late 80's/early 90's run with Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, Days of Thunder, and The Last Boyscout were also great.

Didn't much care for his recent, more "flashy" style edited films like Domino and Man on Fire. Decent films, but the visuals were a bit over the top.

AcesandEights
20-Aug-2012, 01:41 PM
True Romance is probably my favorite film of his.

Good point, Bass. True Romance is always worth an honorable mention!

bassman
20-Aug-2012, 05:11 PM
They're saying he had inoperable brain cancer. Maybe he decided to end it himself before suffering?

MinionZombie
20-Aug-2012, 05:50 PM
True Romance is indeed an excellent flick, but regarding some of his more recent work, I was very impressed with Unstoppable. You'd think there's not much tension and action to be wrung out of a runaway train, but it was really rather good. Watched it with my Dad and we both really dug it. A streamlined action flick that keeps up the pace and is pleasingly full of tension.

Eyebiter
20-Aug-2012, 05:52 PM
I'd guess Tony Scott was aware of the pending US inheritance tax rate increase from 35% in 2012 to 55% in 2013.

MoonSylver
20-Aug-2012, 10:52 PM
What a shame. True Romance is probably my favorite film of his. His late 80's/early 90's run with Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, Days of Thunder, and The Last Boyscout were also great.

I like you Bassman, always have, always will. :thumbsup: ;)

[QUOTE=bassman;288079]They're saying he had inoperable brain cancer. Maybe he decided to end it himself before suffering?

If the cancer thing was true, that could be it. Seems like a hell of a way to go though. I think I'd rather wash down a bottle of oxycotton w/ a bottle of Jack, or be humped to death by a 500 pound whore or something than jump off a bridge...:eek:

rongravy
21-Aug-2012, 06:10 AM
A bridge? Yikes!
Yeah, I could think of wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better ways.
Smothered by dead hookers and blow perhaps? Just sayin'...

MinionZombie
21-Aug-2012, 09:03 AM
I read that a tourist boat was passing by at the time and they saw the whole thing - no hesitation in jumping, he landed near the boat etc. Blimey - that's a hell of a thing to see on a boat tour! :eek:

Neil
21-Aug-2012, 11:18 AM
Do you think you have to 'try' to kill yourself with such a jump? ie: I suspect your natural reaction is to land feet first, which surely gives you a chance of survival? But of you go down flat, the impact would knock you out at least for sure?

http://www.foxcrawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Vincent-Thomas-Bridge.jpg

-- -------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

They're saying he had inoperable brain cancer. Maybe he decided to end it himself before suffering?

http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/20/tony-scott-suicide-no-brain-cancer-tumor/

Tony Scott did NOT have inoperable brain cancer, or for that matter brain cancer at all according to Scott's family.

MinionZombie
21-Aug-2012, 11:19 AM
I suppose it's the force of hitting the water. Look at the diving finals in the Olympics - one of the divers really hurt his shoulder from just hitting at the wrong angle from a (relative to that bridge) rather low height. So if you jump off something that high, it's highly likely it'll kill you as it's akin to hitting a wall in a way.

Very sad thing indeed with the discovery of the inoperable brain cancer. I wonder how long he had left. Poor Ridley too - another brother lost - and indeed Tony Scott's family and young sons (only twelve). :(

*EDIT*

Apparently the "inoperable brain cancer" thing might be a false rumour:
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/clues-sought-suicide-film-director-tony-scott-002157976.html

Neil
21-Aug-2012, 12:38 PM
*EDIT*

Apparently the "inoperable brain cancer" thing might be a false rumour:
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/clues-sought-suicide-film-director-tony-scott-002157976.html

Look the post of mine you replied too :)

shootemindehead
21-Aug-2012, 01:01 PM
I suppose it's the force of hitting the water...if you jump off something that high, it's highly likely it'll kill you as it's akin to hitting a wall in a way.

When jumping from such a height, even if the impact didn't kill you straight away, it would surely smash your bones to pieces. So, if your not dead from massive physical trauma, you'll surely drown.

Have to agree with the incredulity at people jumping off of a bridge as a method of suicide in the States. You can buy a gun for a few dollars and blow your brains out, quick and painless and without the horror of that awful drop.

Why anyone would choose to jump off of a bridge is beyond me.

bassman
21-Aug-2012, 01:04 PM
Less of a mess than shooting yourself, I'd imagine. Maybe he didn't want his family to find him with his head blown apart?

As MZ mentioned, the witness reports say that he climbed the fence and immediately jumped. Not a single second of hesitation. I find that to be a bit strange. He definitely had his mind set on doing the job...

MinionZombie
21-Aug-2012, 06:25 PM
Look the post of mine you replied too :)

Our posts were 1 minute apart. You replied as I was finishing off posting my post, so I didn't spot that until half an hour later when I skimmed back to HPOTD temporarily. :p

Neil
21-Aug-2012, 06:28 PM
Our posts were 1 minute apart. You replied as I was finishing off posting my post, so I didn't spot that until half an hour later when I skimmed back to HPOTD temporarily. :p

I let you off, just this once mind! :)

-- -------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Less of a mess than shooting yourself, I'd imagine. Maybe he didn't want his family to find him with his head blown apart?

As MZ mentioned, the witness reports say that he climbed the fence and immediately jumped. Not a single second of hesitation. I find that to be a bit strange. He definitely had his mind set on doing the job...Question is, what put him in that mind set? If he wasn't terminally ill, what was it?

LouCipherr
21-Aug-2012, 07:39 PM
Question is, what put him in that mind set? If he wasn't terminally ill, what was it?

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss40/vaiince/tin-foil-hat.jpg

:lol: :lol:

bassman
23-Oct-2012, 01:25 PM
They released the autopsy reports. Of course he died from multiple blunt force injuries. In his system was a sleep aid and antidepressant(seems like EVERYONE is on those things these days). No mention of cancer at all.

Looks like Scott was just depressed. No other known cause.