PDA

View Full Version : J. Michael Straczynski pandemic TV series

Neil
26-Aug-2012, 06:56 PM
http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/abc-teams-with-overbrook-georgeville-tv-babylon-5-creator-for-pandemic-drama/#more-324515

ABC has put in development a pandemic thriller drama from Overbrook Entertainment, the company co-founded by Will Smith and James Lassiter.

Lassiter and Overbrook partner Jada Pinkett Smith are executive producing the project, written/executive produced by Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski and financed by Georgeville Television, the independent TV studio co-founded earlier this year by producer Marc Rosen and Leon Clarance of Motion Picture Capital, the financing arm of Reliance Entertainment. The untitled project is described as a high-octane pandemic thriller that combines closed-ended procedural and serialized elements.

EvilNed
26-Aug-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm all ears. I haven't seen Babylon 5, but I read Superman: Earth One, and I liked it. I also thought Contagion was one of the best films of 2011, if not the best, and much in part because of it's subject matter.

Neil
26-Aug-2012, 09:04 PM
Babylon 5 has dated some what, but it still has some great moments in it!

Mike70
07-Sep-2012, 04:11 PM
Babylon 5 has dated some what, but it still has some great moments in it!

in Valen's name, what do you mean by dated? the special effects? sure they are. it was one of the first shows to go all digital and that is bound to look a bit off by today's standards (then again, 2010 has special effects that are easily the equal of anything today and that was done in like '82- but that is another thread).

the thing that always attracted me to B5 was the writing. B5 contains some of the best written sci-fi ever, be it movies, tv, whatever.

there are so many outstanding moments in that series that i don't think i could ever call it dated - unless you are talking about the effects, then i'm in agreement.

as for this proposed show, i really hope it comes off because JMS is one of the few original talents left in the world.

Neil
07-Sep-2012, 06:58 PM
in Valen's name, what do you mean by dated? the special effects? sure they are. it was one of the first shows to go all digital and that is bound to look a bit off by today's standards (then again, 2010 has special effects that are easily the equal of anything today and that was done in like '82- but that is another thread).

the thing that always attracted me to B5 was the writing. B5 contains some of the best written sci-fi ever, be it movies, tv, whatever.

there are so many outstanding moments in that series that i don't think i could ever call it dated - unless you are talking about the effects, then i'm in agreement.

as for this proposed show, i really hope it comes off because JMS is one of the few original talents left in the world.

By dated, I mean the overall production feel. It's obviously not upto modern standards/styles, especially the first series or so. But yes, alot of the writing is excellent at that is of course the crowning glory of the series! I'm in the process of watching the ENTIRE series at the moment, and just starting series 5 now!

Rottedfreak
07-Sep-2012, 07:11 PM
and just starting series 5 now!

DON'T!!!!
You'll ruin a good meal.

Neil
07-Sep-2012, 07:58 PM
DON'T!!!!
You'll ruin a good meal.
Oh come on! The final episode is one of the pinacles of the series IMHO!

Mike70
08-Sep-2012, 01:53 AM
Oh come on! The final episode is one of the pinacles of the series IMHO!

"Sleeping in Light" is one of the greatest things ever done in the sci-fi genre. it is an absolutely beautiful end to a great, great show.

it ranks right up there with "The Inner Light", a Star Trek: TNG ep.

"The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" and "Interludes and Examinations" are among my other fav eps.