PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Playing Sleeping Dogs? Got a Review/opinion?

AcesandEights
29-Aug-2012, 03:00 PM
I was thinking about picking this up this weekend to keep me from gnashing my own tongue off in frustration while I (im)patiently wait for Borderlands 2. I thought I saw CoinReturn playing, so maybe you, Hellsing and some others have feedback on this game?

Deep storyline? Sandboxy? Good controls that aren't overly annoying but allow expansive options?

What's your verdict(s)?

CoinReturn
29-Aug-2012, 04:36 PM
I think it's excellent, with the hand-to-hand combat being above and beyond anything seen in the open world genre. It's definitely derived from the Batman games.

The game's version of Hong Kong is smaller than what you'll see in something like San Andreas or Just Cause 2, but it's brimming over with great atmosphere and things to do.

The storyline is relatively engaging, which is more than I can say for most videogames. I'd recommend buying it; it takes the best parts of similar open world games and compiles them into a really original take on the genre.

MinionZombie
29-Aug-2012, 04:39 PM
Interesting ... perhaps I'll get it on sale sometime.

Currently I'm bashing through Assassin's Creed Revelations, and next I think I'll catch up on Gears of War 3 which I still haven't got to yet ... but maybe come the Xmas season, and the inevitable sales, I might find a cheap copy of this to have a play with.

CoinReturn
29-Aug-2012, 04:41 PM
Also, if you're a fan of Shenmue, I'd buy this asap.

You can also tell the developers are fans of HK/Asian action movies, with unlockable outfits ranging from Ong Bak to Rumble in the Bronx.

CoinReturn
14-Oct-2012, 09:41 PM
"Nightmare in North Point" DLC detailed, releasing October 30th:

Sleeping Dogs' first story-expanding piece of downloadable content is called Nightmare in North Point, and it will be available on October 30th, co-developers United Front Games and Square Enix London Studios announced at a New York Comic Con panel this afternoon.

The Halloween-themed DLC brings the supernatural into Sleeping Dogs' version of Hong Kong, with the developers' take on zombie fiction via Chinese mythology. Nightmare in North Point tells the story of a gang member whom the Triad tortured and killed; here, he comes back to life with an army of the undead, and it's up to protagonist Wei Shen to take care of the threat.

The developers presented a live demo of Nightmare in North Point in which Shen took on possessed members of the 18K Triad gang. Their eyes glow blue, and when they're killed, they disappear into the ground in a flash of green light. It's a good thing he now has lightning fists courtesy of some magical tea from an earlier mission. Shen also has to contend with Jiang Shi — Chinese vampires. For them, he has a peach wood sword. According to Chinese lore, such blades were used in Taoist exorcisms.

No price was announced at the panel. According to a representative for Square Enix, Nightmare in North Point will offer a few hours' worth of content. Previously announced DLC includes racing and police missions; those pieces of content will be available on October 16th.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/10/14/3502542/sleeping-dogs-campaign-dlc-nightmare-in-north-point-release-date

Perfect DLC for Halloween.

slickwilly13
02-Jan-2013, 02:58 AM
I rented it recently and enjoyed very much. It is similar to GTA.