PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Related Question

Zombie-A-GoGo
04-Jul-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi. This is sort of an extension question related to my earlier zombie survey...I just want to see where I stand in my own thinking by getting the opinions of others. Question:

What percentage of people in general, both zombie fans and non-zombie fans alike, out of 100%, would you expect to say that they actually, realistically expect a real zombie outbreak to occur sometime in the near future? These are people who don't believe the question is hypothetical--they believe it could actually happen. What do you think?

OddDNA
04-Jul-2006, 09:54 PM
0% for both populations of the industrialized world.

axlish
04-Jul-2006, 10:09 PM
I guess I can hold out for a 5% chance that the military is working on something that'll cause a zombie outbreak.

EvilNed
04-Jul-2006, 10:25 PM
My guess is around 0%.

creepntom
04-Jul-2006, 10:30 PM
i'll take a zombie outbreak over the current state of affairs any day

Adrenochrome
04-Jul-2006, 10:40 PM
As I've replied to similar questions -
"I was under the impression it'd already happened."

Philly_SWAT
04-Jul-2006, 10:49 PM
Zero percent. Did you say these questions are for a college class?

AcesandEights
04-Jul-2006, 10:59 PM
Close enough to 0% as to be negligible.

Danny
04-Jul-2006, 11:16 PM
i guess 0%

but at least 30% of zombie fans are nuts that own full camo gear ,kepp guns and regularly maintain them adn keep supplies, and whatch extreme survival shows becuase they expect a y2k/ terrorist/ bio warfare/ nuke event to cause another dark age.

mad max style:lol:

you know who you are!!!.

darth los
05-Jul-2006, 03:12 AM
The way I see it it depends on what would be the cause of the outbreak which was never fully explained by GAR in his dead films. 1- Is it radiation from a space probe?(as in night) 2- Some sort of voodoo or retribution from a ****ed off god?(as in dawn) 3- Or a vral outbreak or infection?(as in day)

1- 10%
2- 0%
3- 30%

TripleRex
05-Jul-2006, 04:17 AM
My guess is around 0%.

You're giving the general population far too much credit. There are definitely some who think it could happen.

panic
05-Jul-2006, 05:41 AM
Chance of a Romero-style zombie apocalypse: zero.
Chance of a 28 Days later type scenario: vanishingly small.
Chance of a Dawn '04 type scenario: zero.

Basically, dead things don't walk. Sorry, but they don't

EvilNed
05-Jul-2006, 12:04 PM
You're giving the general population far too much credit. There are definitely some who think it could happen.

Yeah. But considering alot, alot of people live on the earth, those five guys aren't going to bump it up to 1%.

Zombie-A-GoGo
05-Jul-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks for responding. I really just wanted to see where my own thinking was on the matter. My partner and I were thinking at the very most there might be 5%. That's a maximum. Turns out that among zombie fans, a total of 40% think there's a chance that it could happen. About 12% think that it will certainly happen. Both of those numbers are really, really high in my opinion. That 40% I can maybe chalk up to apocalyptic wishful thinking, but that 12%--yeesh. Here's the kicker...the numbers for non-zombie fans (aka, just your average folks) aren't a whole lot better. 26% believe there's a chance, and 13% think it certainly will happen. That's still staggeringly high for the question. Of all the questions on the survey, the answers to this one struck me most. :eek:

coma
05-Jul-2006, 03:15 PM
because I live in reality, I wouldv'e guessed zero or a tiny percentage.
If someone believes it would happen, they probably think gold is at the end of a rainbow and they are going to have to fight the leprechan to get that gold.

Scary results.

Tullaryx
05-Jul-2006, 04:34 PM
i guess 0%

but at least 30% of zombie fans are nuts that own full camo gear ,kepp guns and regularly maintain them adn keep supplies, and whatch extreme survival shows becuase they expect a y2k/ terrorist/ bio warfare/ nuke event to cause another dark age.

mad max style:lol:

you know who you are!!!.

and your point being...

of course I'm part of that 30%...though I'm abit more inconspicuous than your typical survival nut. :D

Danny
05-Jul-2006, 05:15 PM
no point, just an observation thats all.:D

Guru ofthe Dead
06-Jul-2006, 07:11 AM
Zero, ziltch, nada, not happening, but if it did I will be shooting some dead people like it's going out of style.

AcesandEights
06-Jul-2006, 07:29 AM
Turns out that among zombie fans, a total of 40% think there's a chance that it could happen. About 12% think that it will certainly happen. Both of those numbers are really, really high in my opinion. That 40% I can maybe chalk up to apocalyptic wishful thinking, but that 12%--yeesh. Here's the kicker...the numbers for non-zombie fans (aka, just your average folks) aren't a whole lot better. 26% believe there's a chance, and 13% think it certainly will happen.

Uhhhhh, how did you get your polling data? I only ask, as I do not believe the results to be representative of what people would ernestly answer on average. How was the poll conducted? Did you try and isolate any response bias? How as the poll worded? Was it conducted via email, via the net, verbally? Did you know most of the respondents? Were you polling a closed community? If so, what were the mean ages of the individuals?

26% non-zombie fans believe there's a chance of what? I need to see some more details before I completely write this poll off.

EDIT: Okay, I searched your old posts, but the polls were deactivated, so I couldn't completely follow up.

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jul-2006, 10:29 AM
I never got to do the survey :(

The day I logged on and started it I lost my internet connection. :(

Anyway, I would say approx 1-2% of the entire globes population actually think a zombie outbreak will happen. If one were to happen bio-warfare would probably be the leading cause.

Zombie-A-GoGo
06-Jul-2006, 06:19 PM
Uhhhhh, how did you get your polling data? I only ask, as I do not believe the results to be representative of what people would ernestly answer on average. How was the poll conducted? Did you try and isolate any response bias? How as the poll worded? Was it conducted via email, via the net, verbally? Did you know most of the respondents? Were you polling a closed community? If so, what were the mean ages of the individuals?

26% non-zombie fans believe there's a chance of what? I need to see some more details before I completely write this poll off.

EDIT: Okay, I searched your old posts, but the polls were deactivated, so I couldn't completely follow up.

That's an awful lot of questions there, guy. None of which I'm going to answer right now. I'm looking at the data, and I'm taking into consideration all of thee above mentioned and more. I don't feel at liberty to discuss the details right now, and besides, you don't have to take the results of it seriously at this moment, as the data from the survey is still being crunched. I was just surprised at the numbers, and certainly surprised when compared to the control group. There's a lot I'm taking into consideration with this paper, but the numbers of this one question by themselves are still surprising, and I think that for the most part, I can dismiss, say, a little over half of the 40% off as wishful thinking on the part of the takers. Anyway...I can't say much more than that until I've written the paper and have delivered it.

AcesandEights
06-Jul-2006, 07:18 PM
Well, thanks for the consideration. I'd love to read a copy of the paper (well, depending on how long it is, maybe browse would be a more accurate word), and the fact that you had a control group is, at least, a good sign.

Good luck!

Graebel
07-Jul-2006, 11:15 AM
Aren't we already zombies a la Shaun of the Dead?

That movie gave me the creeps in those scenes. That is what a job you hate will do to you. :skull: Thank god I got a new job.

Seriously. I think its 0%. But deep in my heart of hearts I'm rooting for 65%. Its right up there with alien invasion in things I'd like to see before I die.

BUTCHYPIE
07-Jul-2006, 10:16 PM
Okay, probably thinking about this too much.

If you think about the miracle of life, what the hell animates us as living beings in the first place? In this universe ruled by entropy, a complex set of systems are encoded on small twisted bundles of tiny proteins, which replicate to create a human organism. The organism seems to have self-awareness and some control over how it interacts and reacts to its environment. Something disrupts the systems interdependence and the body quits functioning and we "die." It seems simple, but I'm not so sure it is.

Who's to say that body couldn't be reactivated to some level of functioning?

At any given time, hundreds of dead bodies (brain dead) are being kept "alive" on ventilators. Really, what is that organism in that state? Many of the tissue and organ processes are still functioning normally, but there is no higher neural functioning. It's interesting that a machine that pushes air into the lungs to force re-oxygenation of the cells can mimic life so well. If something so simple can keep us animated, perhaps something else could as well.

People with certain brain traumas, under limited anesthesia or in altered states of consciousness can behave very differently than people normally do. Their bodies don't seem to be under the same set of rules as a "normal" body.

Organs transplanted from the dead come back to life in a new body. A lizard loses its tail and grows a new one. Bacteria with no observable cellular life from the Artic are defrosted and “awaken.” If life is regeneration from non-functioning to functioning, then it’s happening all the time.

Many paranormal phenomenons, specifically non-locality and other quantum mysteries, seem to be beyond our current understanding. Near-death experiences, some psychic events, remote viewing, monozygotic twin bonding… there’s a lot of weird stuff out there that we haven’t really made good explanations for.

I'm just saying, there's a lot out there that we don't understand. Anything is possible. However, the best predictor of the future is the past, so if the dead haven't risen, yet, then they’re not likely to rise in the future. It's really a question of probabilities...

Just in case, I'm going to keep an open mind! I’d say a <1% chance… It’d be hard to say zero percent to almost anything.

Cheers all!

-