PDA

View Full Version : Night 90 Blu-ray up for Pre-Order

Kaos
15-Sep-2012, 12:34 AM
http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/21678/NIGHT-OF-THE-LIVING-DEAD-1990-PRE-ORDER/

Fans of the remake have at it!

bassman
15-Sep-2012, 02:37 AM
So I guess the director's cut we heard rumors of a few years back isn't happening?

Either way, this is a definite purchase.

ProfessorChaos
15-Sep-2012, 03:52 AM
limited release of only 3k copies with no significant special features.....as much as i want to jump on this one, i'm probably gonna have to pass for 30 bones....

Kaos
15-Sep-2012, 02:10 PM
The usual deal is that Screen Archives contracts to do a quality edition of the movie on blu-ray with a limited run. As part of that contract they have exclusive rights to produce and release a blu-ray of the film for 3 years. So there won't be a director's cut anytime soon.

They produced the Fright Night 1985 blu-ray too. High Def Digest reviewed it here: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3644/frightnight.html

In any event, this is not a low end budget release, so only die hard fans will drop the cash. I have been tracking this release for months, and was probably one of the first to pre-order. :D

bassman
15-Sep-2012, 03:24 PM
Are there any further details elsewhere? Have they spent the time to go through the PQ or just thrown a poor copy on blu ray like some companies do?

Also.....I wonder why it doesn't include the making of documentary?

It's a bummer the director's cut with new features isn't happening anytime soon, but it will be nice to have this on blu ray for the Halloween season...

Kaos
15-Sep-2012, 04:03 PM
I haven't found any yet. Even though in past discs they used decent transfers, there is always a possibility they will do a crappy job on this one. You can probably wait for a review of the transfer before buying it since there is no option to pay anything but retail for it. The Fright Night disc sold out quick and runs over a $100 on ebay, but I think there is a much larger nostalgic fan base for Fright Night. As far as extras are concerned Screen Archives is no Criterion, and they probably didn't want to pay for the rights to add any "making of featurettes."

MinionZombie
15-Sep-2012, 04:44 PM
*ahem*

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?2881-Night-of-the-Living-Dead-remake-Tom-Savini&p=289064#post289064

:D

Kaos
15-Sep-2012, 04:55 PM
You better get some cough syrup for that, MZ. You sound awful.:D

MinionZombie
15-Sep-2012, 05:25 PM
You better get some cough syrup for that, MZ. You sound awful.:D

:lol::lol::lol:

ProfessorChaos
16-Sep-2012, 08:19 AM
thanks for the additional info, kaos. three more years without a blu ray available for this is too long for this fan-boy, it turns out. i'm one of three thousand.

Mr.G
16-Sep-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm not a fan of the cover art but I couldn't pass it up. Too many a**holes are buying multiple copies hoping to score big on ebay. I missed the Fright Night release and refuse to buy it at an inflated price.

EvilNed
16-Sep-2012, 10:45 PM
Isolated score track? *shudders*

I have the DVD which is a cropped "fake" widescreen. It's almost worth getting this one just to be able to throw the old one out the door, but I don't find this film that good to begin with.

Kaos
18-Sep-2012, 03:08 AM
Someone on facebook said that they have already pre-sold 1300 discs, but I don't know how they know that number. Definitely should be taken with a grain of salt.

bassman
18-Sep-2012, 12:34 PM
If I could just get some sort of confirmation that the transfer is quality, I would be all over this. Hopefully a review will hit before they're all gone...

Kaos
21-Sep-2012, 08:40 PM
On facebook Screen Archives stated there are less than 400 left.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Sep-2012, 09:36 PM
ORDERED... 2 copies. =O)

kidgloves
22-Sep-2012, 12:13 PM
Madness to blind buy this. No mention of any restoration and only a commentary as a special feature worthwhile mentioning.
Stinks of a money grab.
Buy the rights for a certain figure.
Calculate how much money you want to make and then limit the release to a number of copies at a certain price.
No thanks.

DjfunkmasterG
22-Sep-2012, 02:37 PM
Madness to blind buy this. No mention of any restoration and only a commentary as a special feature worthwhile mentioning.
Stinks of a money grab.
Buy the rights for a certain figure.
Calculate how much money you want to make and then limit the release to a number of copies at a certain price.
No thanks.

Agreed, but once they're gone... they're gone, and I can sell my 2nd copy for a nice profit that will pay for both copies.

Kaos
22-Sep-2012, 03:45 PM
You will make your money back easy, DJ. Probably much more if you hold on to it a year.

bassman
24-Sep-2012, 12:43 PM
It's now sold out.

....and already selling for ridiculous prices on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-Of-The-Living-Dead-1990-REMAKE-Blu-ray-Limited-3000-Printed-PREORDER-/170905510166?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item27cac32116 :eek:

Sad I had to miss out on this but with a lack of special features and restoration confirmation, I can wait until it rears it's head again. Considering how fast it sold, I imagine they'll do another run before long.

AcesandEights
24-Sep-2012, 01:21 PM
Just tell yourself the difference between your DVD and the blu-ray would have probably been negligible due to the quality of the original and probably quality of any transfer job done. Even if it's not the truth (I couldn't say for certain), the DVD is pretty damn good, as is, though still woefully short on special features.

Neil
24-Sep-2012, 02:05 PM
It's now sold out.

....and already selling for ridiculous prices on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-Of-The-Living-Dead-1990-REMAKE-Blu-ray-Limited-3000-Printed-PREORDER-/170905510166?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item27cac32116 :eek:

Sad I had to miss out on this but with a lack of special features and restoration confirmation, I can wait until it rears it's head again. Considering how fast it sold, I imagine they'll do another run before long.
Wow! Numpties are paying $150? Wow!

Kaos
27-Sep-2012, 05:08 PM
Just got a notice that the disc has shipped! Since it is shipping from VA to MD I could have it by Saturday. I'll let you know how it looks as soon as I can screen it.

Mr.G
29-Sep-2012, 08:09 PM
Mine arrived today in the mail. I'll watch it tonight and report back. Hopefully Johnny's rubber head to the grave shot doesn't look any worse in high definition! :)

Kaos
29-Sep-2012, 11:19 PM
Got mine too. I'll be watching it on my projector blown up to 100". :)

- - - Updated - - -

On facebook DJ is saying the transfer blows. Too bad. I'll check it out tonight anyway.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Sep-2012, 12:59 AM
Got mine, here are my thoughts...

No offense to the filmmakers, but the Night of the Living Dead (1990) Blu-Ray sucks ass.

The picture has a blu-ish tint, like someone forgot to White Balance the camera. I have to spend 20 minutes tuning my television to get it to where I like it, and believe me it wasn't worth it.

There is massive amounts of Grain and Noise Reduction which makes everyone look waxy.

The Audio sounds muddy. this film was shot in Ultra Stereo sound, a defunct sound format absorbed by DTS later on.

Special features, BLAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, The Commentary is recycled. The original featurette on the DVD is non-existent. Trust me this is a joke. You get the original trailer and that is it.

There is a nice little booklet in the BR case that gives you a little backstory about the film, but nothing spectacular.

Tis a shame this is listed as a Limited Edition... no wait, what am I saying, be glad it is limited in print because something this bad looking doesn't deserve to be on Blu-Ray.

Still one of the best remakes of the original 68 Romero film, it is a shame it got such a shitty blu-ray treatment.

PQ 2.5 stars
AQ 2.5 stars
Special Features 1 star

Recommendation - Wait for a better release.

Mr.G
30-Sep-2012, 01:51 AM
Ugh....horrible transfer. I too had to mess with my colors and the best is still too dark. Didn't anyone view this from Twilight Times?

DjfunkmasterG
30-Sep-2012, 02:34 AM
I just wrote the following letter to SAE about this mediocre transfer...

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to lodge a complaint about the NOTLD 1990 remake Blu-Ray release from your organziation via Twilight Times.

The color timing is set very unevenly resulting in a blu-tint across the entire spectrum that was not present in the films original theatrical, VHS or DVD release. After having my Plasma professionally calibrated when it was installed, I was very upset to have to play with my tuning in order to actually watch this film without cringing about the poor transfer, and the color timing by your studio.

Did no one proof the transfer prior to release? It actually looks as if no one actually white balanced the 35MM camera system when shooting the film, yes that is how bad it looks.

While this may not be a huge deal to you organization because of the films limited pressing, for those of us who put up good money for such a mediocre product we ask Twilight Times to actually sit down and watch the film and ask yourself, do you consider this a top notch transfer? I bet the answer would be NO.

Considering the limited amount of copies, but the premium price each individual paid for a copy, we feel as though Twilight and SAE should either provide refunds or re-do the transfer and re-release the film to those with the original 3000 unit pressings.

My contact information is below, and I hope to hear back from you in the immediate future.

Sincerely

Gary Ugarek

- - - Updated - - -

Screen Archives email and facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/screenarchives

email: info@screenarchives.com

I urge you all who are let down by this Blu-ray release to send an email and complain.

CooperWasRight
30-Sep-2012, 05:47 AM
The blue shift seems to be strongly present in the natural light scenes (scenes with daylight or moonlight) almost like the person timing maybe thought he was adding some sort of stylistic input... Oddly it does not appear to be noticieable in the final daylight sequence or the very begining. I found it to be strongly noticeable from the car wreck and on and at first thought my projector bulb was going out.

Aside from the odd blue shift i found it looked
pretty nice on my new 120" screen, i didnt find the dts transer lacking but at a premium price with no new or really any features to speak to be unforgiviable.

Premium price with poor color timing is a joke.

Mr_Shadow
30-Sep-2012, 06:26 AM
..... http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/dickieduvet/271263_4140159096540_103449534_o.jpg

DjfunkmasterG
30-Sep-2012, 09:08 AM
..... http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/dickieduvet/271263_4140159096540_103449534_o.jpg

Shared your pic on my FB page and twitter feeds to warn everyone, and also tagged SAE so they know it exists.

Neil
30-Sep-2012, 10:18 AM

Dear God! That's appalling surely? I'd rather watch the DVD? Just look at the grass for example!

krakenslayer
30-Sep-2012, 03:02 PM
To all the profiteers who bought up dozens of limited edition copies prior to the release in the hopes of making a bundle on eBay: enjoy your new coasters! :lol:

EvilNed
30-Sep-2012, 04:55 PM
Yeah, these guys are really bringing BLU-ray to a new level...

DjfunkmasterG
30-Sep-2012, 05:01 PM
Twilight Times, the distributor of the Blu-Ray posted this on their FB page, apparently they have been inundated with emails this morning...

"Just a quick note to those folk disappointed with the Blu-ray transfer of Night of the Living Dead: Today is Sunday, and we won't be able to speak with any of the studio team until tomorrow. However, we are very limited in what we can do. If it is determined that the Blu-ray is exactly what was signed off by the filmmakers and / or, other involved personnel, then we will be sure this accurately reflects everyone's intentions. On the other hand, should it be discovered that some error occurred, somewhere between telecine and master, then that would be another matter. We will know the answer in a matter of days...in the meantime all we can do is have SAE refund consumers who want to return their discs...
Apologies for any inconvenience."

Neil
30-Sep-2012, 05:37 PM
^^ Did no one f***ing watch the master before they moved on?

Wonder what those folks feel like who have been buying them for $150 on ebay?

DjfunkmasterG
30-Sep-2012, 05:42 PM

Good questions

Cykotic
30-Sep-2012, 06:05 PM
Oh dear god, that horrible.

Think I'll just stick with the copy I have. I was gonna buy it on blu ray, but thanks to this thread, I won't bother.

It's amazing how much money this place has saved me over the years lol

AnxietyDilemma
30-Sep-2012, 06:12 PM

In my opinion, it is intentional, but by whom? I don't know. The movie starts off looking pretty good during the cemetary scene, but by the time Barbara gets to the farm, it is veiled in darkness and a slight bluish tint.

In a way, I feel that it is more appropriate for the film, but done poorly, and it should've been left as is.

For one thing, a lot of detail is lost and the colors are washed out which is a shame because these outdoor scenes would've sparkled in the Blu Ray format.

Secondly, even though things are darkened quite a bit, there are a few scenes where you can see that the sky is blue with white puffy clouds, and the whole while you hear birds chirping, not a single cricket to be heard. Kind of goes against the whole "dusk" feel revision.

Lastly, in the scenes where you can see through the dark kitchen, and through the open door, you can still see that it was quite bright outside, in contrast to how dark it appears when she exits the house.

kidgloves
30-Sep-2012, 06:17 PM
I hope this is a genuine error and the real fans get a good version but this smelt fishy from the beginning and I take no pleasure being right in this case. The lesson to be learned is NEVER EVER buy blind. Especially cult movies.

As for the profiteers :fin::fin::fin::fin::fin::fin::fin::fin::fin::fin: :fin::fin:

Kaos
30-Sep-2012, 06:34 PM
​This is what I left on the Screen Archives facebook page last night:

I think you might owe everyone that purchased this a refund. The transfer appears desaturated due to pushing blue which is not how this movie was ever intended to be shown. I saw it in the theater opening night, and the color is way off. Night 90 deserves better than what you have done. The old DVD is superior in every aspect except resolution and that is unacceptable in 2012. Just for the sake of reputation I would issue a recall for all of these discs, take another crack at improving the transfer (don't phone it in this time), and issue new discs to those who paid a premium price and got a sub par product. Otherwise, these limited edition releases you are known for will become known as low quality rip offs that should be avoided.

Screen Archives said they will likely issue refunds for those that want to return it, and I will be doing so. I would prefer a trade-in program that at the very least removes the blue tint and corrects the brightness issues.

EvilNed
30-Sep-2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah, they weren't kidding when they were issuing a BLU-ray version of this film...

kidgloves
30-Sep-2012, 08:22 PM
Good questions

Gary. You probably know more about this whole process than the rest of us. If this is a mistake, how the hell could it happen? There must be more than 1 person involved with the process from acquiring the print to distributing the release. I don't think that many people could be that incompetent in a row and, from reading peoples comments, I doubt anybody could have viewed the transfer and thought it would be acceptable in the Hi-def format.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Sep-2012, 08:47 PM
Gary. You probably know more about this whole process than the rest of us. If this is a mistake, how the hell could it happen? There must be more than 1 person involved with the process from acquiring the print to distributing the release. I don't think that many people could be that incompetent in a row and, from reading peoples comments, I doubt anybody could have viewed the transfer and thought it would be acceptable in the Hi-def format.

I am not a color correction expert... But it could have been something simple like someone putting the filter over the film, it could have been something a little more complicated like someone accidentally triggered a filter, and didn't catch it. However, I know from having the Deadlands films mastered the engineer would send me a copy and he would take one home to watch, but that is a small studio versus Columbia Pictures aka $ony, who might have just had the original 1999 DVD telecine re-comissioned for the Blu-Ray master and maybe it aged, but from what I can see this looks like a filter with color timing shifted towards a cooler look.

Maybe they were hoping to give it a more apocalyptic feel, but all you really have to do to get that is bring down the saturation by half. It doesn't affect brightness, contrast, just the saturation of color.

This is really out there but maybe there was a glitch in the mastering, but again someone should have QA'd this disc master before ok-ing for replication.

It could also be possible Savini and Romero agreed to this look, but in my honest opinion that is far-fetched. I don't see either of them looking at the final render and saying ok, but I have seen stranger shit happen.

TT said in their response the filmmakers could have approved this, but I don't see Columbia brining Tom or George in since this title didn't make it's budget back via theatrical, and was only a modest hit on VHS and DVD. I am sure Tom and George also would like to get paid for their time and a lot of studios don't want to pay for stuff like that, case in point TROTLD, MGM screwed Dan O'Bannon out of money from the first DVD release of that film, and when it came to doing the 20th Anniversary and Collector's edition DVD's Dan wouldn't participate until he got paid. Even Jewel shepard went on record saying she wouldn't do the interviews or the commentary with the cast because the studio wouldn't even cover travel costs. She was one of the cast who lived outside of LA.

What we do know and a majority of us agree on is that the transfer sucks and something is rotten in the state of denmark, and it ain't Romero's rotting corpses.

Also, For the record... people are also complaining about sound issues with the gunfire, and chambering of rounds. Towards the end credits when cooper runs out of ammo the sound of the gun going click click click because he is out of bullets the click is very faint.

EvilNed
30-Sep-2012, 09:00 PM
Maybe this mistake could be attributed to something so simple as somebody feeling a bit BLU over at the color correction facilities of TT?

kidgloves
30-Sep-2012, 09:08 PM
I am not a color correction expert... But it could have been something simple like someone putting the filter over the film, it could have been something a little more complicated like someone accidentally triggered a filter, and didn't catch it. However, I know from having the Deadlands films mastered the engineer would send me a copy and he would take one home to watch, but that is a small studio versus Columbia Pictures aka $ony, who might have just had the original 1999 DVD telecine re-comissioned for the Blu-Ray master and maybe it aged, but from what I can see this looks like a filter with color timing shifted towards a cooler look.

Maybe they were hoping to give it a more apocalyptic feel, but all you really have to do to get that is bring down the saturation by half. It doesn't affect brightness, contrast, just the saturation of color.

This is really out there but maybe there was a glitch in the mastering, but again someone should have QA'd this disc master before ok-ing for replication.

It could also be possible Savini and Romero agreed to this look, but in my honest opinion that is far-fetched. I don't see either of them looking at the final render and saying ok, but I have seen stranger shit happen.

TT said in their response the filmmakers could have approved this, but I don't see Columbia brining Tom or George in since this title didn't make it's budget back via theatrical, and was only a modest hit on VHS and DVD. I am sure Tom and George also would like to get paid for their time and a lot of studios don't want to pay for stuff like that, case in point TROTLD, MGM screwed Dan O'Bannon out of money from the first DVD release of that film, and when it came to doing the 20th Anniversary and Collector's edition DVD's Dan wouldn't participate until he got paid. Even Jewel shepard went on record saying she wouldn't do the interviews or the commentary with the cast because the studio wouldn't even cover travel costs. She was one of the cast who lived outside of LA.

What we do know and a majority of us agree on is that the transfer sucks and something is rotten in the state of denmark, and it ain't Romero's rotting corpses.

Also, For the record... people are also complaining about sound issues with the gunfire, and chambering of rounds. Towards the end credits when cooper runs out of ammo the sound of the gun going click click click because he is out of bullets the click is very faint.

Thanks for that.
I work in retail and deal with quality assurance, customer service, PR, complaints etc and i find it hard to be believe that somebody would really do this as a cash grab. The damage to your reputation alone makes it a non-starter for what is only $90,000 gross. The actual profit at source will be massively less. Its just not worth it.

Someone is definately gonna get the bullet over this.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Sep-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks for that.
I work in retail and deal with quality assurance, customer service, PR, complaints etc and i find it hard to be believe that somebody would really do this as a cash grab. The damage to your reputation alone makes it a non-starter for what is only $90,000 gross. The actual profit at source will be massively less. Its just not worth it.

Someone is definately gonna get the bullet over this.

I dunno about that... Some people are claiming Savini always wanted the film to look darker, that he hated a lot of footage and wanted to reshoot a lot of Day for Night shots, which makes no Sense because with the filtering it has now it looks more day for night than it did before.

You can't even discuss this on TT's FB page the trolls come out in force, those who support the release. It makes me think... Are you fucking blind? You think this looks good, but when you see their ages you realize they never saw the true representation of the film on the screen so to them it fits in with todays Blu Horror look.

AnxietyDilemma
30-Sep-2012, 11:38 PM
I dunno about that... Some people are claiming Savini always wanted the film to look darker, that he hated a lot of footage and wanted to reshoot a lot of Day for Night shots,

From the NOTLD DVD special features:

Patricia Tallman: "When we started filming, we started with the beginning of the script which was the graveyard scene. This was spring time in Pittsburgh. We wanted to have the gloomy, rainy, kind of thing going on which I believe is the way it is in the original. Instead we had these glorious sunshiney blue days with birds chirping in the background. Its not scary at all. But in the end, Tom *Savini* LOVED it. Because it was the Opposite. It was the opposite of what you expected...and thats what he kept doing in that scene."

It just doesn't "feel" right to me, I know that birds don't chirp loudly at dusk where I live. I don't want to give them any ideas though, because maybe they'd actually reissue it, but with the only change being crickets dubbed in over the birds.

Also, there are shadows that are congruent with the objects that block the sun, which wouldn't be evident at dusk. There are also scenes where the sun is visibly beaming down on Ben and Barbara, even though it is made to appear as "dusk". It is also evident in the darkened indoor scenes that the sunshine was quite intense outside as could be seen through the open back door.

There is a scene where Barbara is at the front of the house, and about to go check around the back and you can see white puffy clouds in a blue sky, all darkened of course.

The most glaring thing however is the creepy little montage after those darkened scenes that shows the transition to night time. This transition kind of loses its effectiveness in this BLUE Ray.

I am seeing people say that they prefer this version, and that it works better for the film, but when you take everything that I mentioned into account, how does it work? How can anyone prefer the detail that is lost in the process?

ProfessorChaos
01-Oct-2012, 03:24 AM
yep, a little disappointed with this odd coloring technique they employed....a friend from work and his gf come over for movies usually once a week and i'd planned to use this blu-ray to introduce them to NotLD 1990...but now i'm thinking i may just use the dvd. i plan to email the company and voice my displeasure...not sure i'd want to return it for a refund, but if they did a PROPER release, i'd gladly trade this copy back in.

DjfunkmasterG
01-Oct-2012, 08:50 AM
Well professor, they are supposed to talk with the studio this week, so we shall see.

EvilNed
01-Oct-2012, 09:14 AM
Wow, guys! Talk about BLU-ray!

clanglee
01-Oct-2012, 09:26 AM
Yes Ned. .I acknowledge your clever use of the situation to form a series of witty double entendres. The fact that the screen is blue and the media is Bluray is a smorgasbord of untapped comedy gold, and I applaud your ability to capitalize on it. ;)

DjfunkmasterG
01-Oct-2012, 10:17 PM
and if it was RED US HD DVD's fans woul dhave been having a bigger blast with it.

bassman
02-Oct-2012, 08:02 PM
I was just reading on the Blu-Ray.com forums that Savini has approved this transfer. So even if TT is nice and allows customers to return them for a refund, it looks like we won't be getting a better Blu Ray release anytime soon.

There are also quite a few more screen cap comparisons over there: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198176&page=241 and on the AVS forums. How Savini or anyone else could be happy with that is beyond me. Unless they're just blind....

Neil
02-Oct-2012, 08:15 PM
Well, I wouldn't be happy with the bluray transfer... I'd rather watch my old DVD I'm afraid :(

AcesandEights
02-Oct-2012, 08:36 PM
I was just reading on the Blu-Ray.com forums that Savini has approved this transfer...How Savini or anyone else could be happy with that is beyond me. Unless they're just blind....

Intriguing!

Bass and/or others tuned into this: can you tell me if they (Twilight Time) are officially saying the bluing of the film is purposeful to add a heavier nighttime effect to the film and turn the daylight shots to a perceived nighttime oriented timeline for most/all of the film? It's hard to tell from the 240+ pages of conversation on that forum and I actually like the color and picture quality of my DVD, so the very idea is off putting to me.

kidgloves
02-Oct-2012, 08:38 PM
Highdefdigest dont like it either

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7204/night_dead_1990.html

Whatever (and whoever) caused this, all that matters is that once it's seen, it can't be unseen. It's also odd that skin tones return to normal once night truly begins. Am I happy with the product I paid a handsome fee for? Honestly, no. The product inside this expensive package belongs in a budget bin, not a high end collector's line.

bassman
02-Oct-2012, 08:51 PM
Aces - From what i've seen, TT is playing the ol' "we're not sure and we're looking into it" card but at the same time posting up that Savini has approved the transfer(within the last day or so, no less - AFTER the discs were shipped to customers). Seems to me like they just dropped the ball and don't want to admit it.

MinionZombie
02-Oct-2012, 08:54 PM
Savini approved this bugger up?! Really?! What's the man thinking?! :stunned:

A simple bit of colour correction to restore colours (e.g. Jaws), or blend matte paintings in with live action like you were never able to do before (e.g. Blade Runner) is where it should peak ... slapping a blu tint over the day scenes is just moronic, frankly. Not only that, but it messes with the long-established look and feel of the film itself - a film that has long been in the hearts of zombie fans around the world. You don't mess around with such things, you just don't.

I hope all the people who bought this in true faith get their cash back, but damn, you'd be feeling properly gutted if you'd stumped up cash for one of those eBay copies! :eek:

DjfunkmasterG
02-Oct-2012, 10:23 PM
Does anyone have actual video of SAVINI approving this? I just can't buy he approved it. I'll accept it if he has, but he has lost a fan if he did. Thankfully I still have my DVD.

bassman
02-Oct-2012, 11:19 PM
From what I read, he gave his approval on Facebook after viewing the disc at his home within the last 48 hours. TT has posted that and will likely run with it as Director's approval.

What's strange is why is he just now seeing it? AFTER it's been sold to fans?....

DjfunkmasterG
02-Oct-2012, 11:27 PM
From what I read, he gave his approval on Facebook after viewing the disc at his home within the last 48 hours. TT has posted that and will likely run with it as Director's approval.

What's strange is why is he just now seeing it? AFTER it's been sold to fans?....

Tom might be going color blind?

Mr.G
03-Oct-2012, 01:20 AM

Spot on! Given the written statement from Twilight Time that references SPHE and Tom Savini what I'd like to know is, why wasn't this info advertised earlier, before there was an issue?

AnxietyDilemma
03-Oct-2012, 03:46 AM
This whole thing just doesn't sit right with me, and it's difficult to just simply accept it and move on.

I have been wanting this on Blu Ray for a long time, and was excited that it was finally being released. I read some of the reactions on here about the "blue tint" and "darkening", so I expected the absolute worst. When I popped it in, and it started up, I couldn't understand what all of the fuss was about, it looked incredible. (The cemetery scene). But then, when Barbara approaches the farm, things changed, and my reaction was "Oh...." in a shocked and appalled manner.

It doesn't look as bad as people are making it out to seem, but I just can't accept it for the reasons that I have previously stated (distinct shadows despite it being "dusk", sunlight shining through the kitchen window and beaming off of Ben, birds chirping loudly, Ben pulling up to the house in the truck with no lights on even though it is now "dusk", and the montage of the dissolve into night after those outdoor scenes that were darkened). Why mess with it in the first place? The whole point of Blu Ray is to enjoy all of the extra details, but it's hard to do that when they have been darkened and obscured.

What gets me more than anything is the way that people are defending this. Some say that the transition into night suits the movie (again, there is a montage of the sun going down and the moon rising after the manual darkening of the scenes). Even more baffling are those saying that nobody's memory of the theatrical version is accurate after all of these years, and that VHS and DVD aren't valid formats to gauge and were probably wrong to begin with, almost implying that maybe it looked this way in the theater, even though it has openly been stated that the film was altered. All it takes is common sense to realize this, with the way that the image gradually becomes darker.

But then again, I'm glad that they appreciate the movie being altered, and I hope for their sake that when Twilight Time releases Christine, that the Plymouth Fury is now Purple rather than Red, and I'm sure they will eat it up and defend it.

I know they are offering a full refund, but that is not the point. I want this thing restored to the way that it is supposed to look so that I can enjoy it, but that isn't happening apparently.

It is amusing to me that when people are complimenting Twilight Time for the transfer, the response is "Thank You.....", but when people criticize it, it's "Well, Sony did the transfer..."

Edit: By simply turning Theater Mode On, I have removed the blue tint and it is at least watchable. The movie is still too dark, and the colors are muted which is a shame.

ProfessorChaos
03-Oct-2012, 03:55 AM
the more i think about it, the more i'm tempted to put a huge scratch on the disc and send it back for a full refund...either that or sell it on ebay. i've not watched the full film on blu-ray yet, as the fucked-up colors are almost too much of a distraction.

and yes, those of you who missed out on this one can consider yourselves lucky...30 bucks isn't a ton of money to me, it's more of the principle of how badly they messed this up and continue to defend it as if it's an improvement upon the original.

MoonSylver
03-Oct-2012, 05:26 AM
Pur auld "90". Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. All this broo-ha-ha makes me sad. I always felt it deserved more love than it got, & I get unhappy when, once again, it doesn't get it. :(

AcesandEights
03-Oct-2012, 01:11 PM
Aces - From what i've seen, TT is playing the ol' "we're not sure and we're looking into it" card but at the same time posting up that Savini has approved the transfer(within the last day or so, no less - AFTER the discs were shipped to customers). Seems to me like they just dropped the ball and don't want to admit it.
Thanks for the summation, Bass! Damn this is all so shady.

Edit: By simply turning Theater Mode On, I have removed the blue tint and it is at least watchable. The movie is still too dark, and the colors are muted which is a shame.

Good catch! Something to take note of if I ever snag a copy! Thing is, my DVD copy is actually pretty damn good quality...I wonder how difficult it is to get a back up DVD copy of Night '90 nowadays. I'm betting near impossible unless you're paying 10x+ retail*.

* = Actually, just found a few copies for cheap on ebay (all under $15). Hmmm, a back up copy would be good to have...

EvilNed
03-Oct-2012, 02:29 PM
Maybe they just misinterpreted the meaning of BLU-ray?

AcesandEights
03-Oct-2012, 02:42 PM

Easy Ned, you didn't pay for that joke at Odd Lots, you don't have to try so hard to get your money's worth out of it. :p :D

EvilNed
03-Oct-2012, 03:41 PM
http://www.filmklubben.eu/ray-charles.jpg

I'm sorry, what? I didn't hear you, I'm blind.

LouCipherr
03-Oct-2012, 08:04 PM
http://www.filmklubben.eu/ray-charles.jpg

I'm sorry, what? I didn't hear you, I'm blind.

AND blue! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ProfessorChaos
03-Oct-2012, 09:33 PM
so, what's the bigger kick to the nuts? the 30th anniversary edition of NotLD '68 or the FUKKEN BLUUUUUUUUEEEEEEE-ray of NotLD '90?

i'm going with this latest blunder, since at least the 30th anniversary edition of night warned us first that they'd fucked with the original recipe.

MoonSylver
03-Oct-2012, 11:28 PM
so, what's the bigger kick to the nuts? the 30th anniversary edition of NotLD '68 or the FUKKEN BLUUUUUUUUEEEEEEE-ray of NotLD '90?

i'm going with this latest blunder, since at least the 30th anniversary edition of night warned us first that they'd fucked with the original recipe.

I dunno man. At least it's still the "original". 30th was the Big Bang of of nut kicks to fandom, the echoes of which reverberate through all time & space. :lol:

triste realtą
04-Oct-2012, 01:32 AM

Also Twilight Time...day for night alteration...day for twilight filter....:bored:

Somebody already did it:

The first twenty minutes of the film, straight daytime sequences in all past editions, now shift from daylight to day-for-night (or twilight, more specifically) over the course of Barbara’s opening flight from the cemetery and the early events at the farmhouse.

http://wtf-film.com/site/2012/10/02/blu-notes-night-of-the-living-dead-90/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=blu-notes-night-of-the-living-dead-90

Kaos
04-Oct-2012, 12:31 PM
Savini is at the stage in his career where he will endorse anything should it increase his profile in any light, good or bad.

shootemindehead
04-Oct-2012, 05:14 PM

Christ, that's shite.

I've always maintained that there's been a bit of codology with Blu rays over DVD. To me, I rarely see a huge difference in picture quality between a well produxed DVD and the average Blu ray and oftentimes I think a lot of people are just telling themselves that it's "wayyy better" despite the contrary. There's been a couple of exceptions though, like 'The Thing' or 'Jaws'. But, by and large, I am usually rather nonplussed.

However, the quality of the transfer on the NOTLD Blu is unbelievable. Not that I was going to be replacing my DVD copy, or anything, but that's just...well....shite.

kidgloves
04-Oct-2012, 05:59 PM
Savini is at the stage in his career where he will endorse anything should it increase his profile in any light, good or bad.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

MinionZombie
04-Oct-2012, 06:21 PM
@Shoot...

There are stunning Blu-Rays, and then there are duff Blu-Rays, just like how on DVD you'd get dud ones (e.g. Nightmare in a Damaged Brain simply transfered from an old VHS tape, or Don't Look in the Basement which was "digitally remastered", but was again just a shockingly poor copy & paste hack job from a bad VHS copy to DVD), but you also get great looking ones (Blade Runner, even Transformers looks great on DVD).

However, it's the crispness where the real difference lies - I suppose it's, in a way, like a JPEG compared to a PNG. Sometimes a JPEG can look really nice, but other times the colours can look ill-defined and the detail can be softened, while a PNG has crisp colours and lines ... ... an iffy analogy, perhaps, but even on a 24 inch screen I can see the difference (even with the DVDs being upscaled - some more successful than others). Now, of course - as I've always argued - image quality doesn't tell a good story any better, or improve a duff one - but I have found myself having warmed a fair bit to a crisp HD image. That said, I still buy DVDs (I bought The Innkeepers on DVD t'other day), and I do have to wear glasses for watching the TV on the other side of the room because if I don't the HD image is reduced to SD, heh.

The real draw to Blu-Ray for me though was the extras. I was a bit pushed into hopping onto the BR bandwagon when it was announced that Grindhouse would only get the new extras on Blu-Ray, and many other flicks were moving that way too (it's now an exception for a DVD to have the same extras as a Blu-Ray now, so it seems generally), but then it did allow me to get a HD image for my Xbox too, then my BR player also gave me the option to have DivX playability, and the TV itself is far smaller in volume (larger in screen) than the previous CRT (which I was still very fond of), which helps a lot for turning the screen to face different directions in my room.

I'm rambling now, but with Blu-Ray now no longer really being at a premium price, it has shifted into becoming more of a standard. It's still not the standard generally speaking, and won't be for a while, but it's certainly made significant in-roads in the two years since I converted. That said, I'm still buying DVDs, however when the extras package is clearly better on the BR, that forces my hand.

A crisp image alone isn't enough for me personally to buy a Blu-Ray, it's more about the extras and/or upgrading a film - e.g. last month I went from a pan & scan VHS of Jaws to the newly released Blu-Ray (and that's a vast upgrade) - I never owned it on DVD, you see.

Circling back to Blight of the Lilac Dead though ... yeah, it's a dreadful filtering job. It's just daft. If you're making the movie brand new today, then yeah fine, go for it from the getgo, but to try and 'do a Lucas' and totally shift the look of the flick long-after-the-fact ... no, just no.

triste realtą
04-Oct-2012, 08:56 PM
@Shoot...

There are stunning Blu-Rays, and then there are duff Blu-Rays, just like how on DVD you'd get dud ones (e.g. Nightmare in a Damaged Brain simply transfered from an old VHS tape, or Don't Look in the Basement which was "digitally remastered", but was again just a shockingly poor copy & paste hack job from a bad VHS copy to DVD),

Circling back to Blight of the Lilac Dead though ... yeah, it's a dreadful filtering job. It's just daft. If you're making the movie brand new today, then yeah fine, go for it from the getgo, but to try and 'do a Lucas' and totally shift the look of the flick long-after-the-fact ... no, just no.

First paragraph: these video to dvd transfers are usually unofficial bootlegs. Nightmare in a Damaged Brain was released by Code Red DVD as Nightmare 30th anniversary edition with 3 different transfers and an unsubtitled interview with Scavolini on 2 disks but their dvds are very limited and go oop besides being msrp squared. You can find several reviews about it but it is region 1 or 0, not sure, and ntsc. Subtitles for the itnerview have since been srt'd and released on a forum. I just got em the other day.

2: This is the look of movies today, filmed through sunglasses or a lens that has been sitting at the bottom of a vat of used motor oil for eons. I hate it. A lot. Along with the digital seizure camera movements.:barf:

zomtom
05-Oct-2012, 04:50 AM
I pre-ordered Night 90' on day one. It was one of the few zed movies NOT on blu ray and 30 bucks is a tad much for me throw at a movie. That being said; I was pretty satisfied when I watched the movie tho I recall thinking the movie seemed a little darker than I remembered. Ofcourse the next day I came here to the forum and read all of the reviews. I thought you were all being a tad critical. Needless to say, the next night I brought the blu ray and the dvd downstairs and compared them. Sonofabitch, if you guys weren't right!! I've got close to 400 blu rays and I'm pretty satisfied with most of them. Even Night 90' will find a place on my shelf. I'll just bring the dvd version to my camp and watch it there during the warm months.

krisvds
05-Oct-2012, 05:09 AM
Christ, that's shite.

I've always maintained that there's been a bit of codology with Blu rays over DVD. To me, I rarely see a huge difference in picture quality between a well produxed DVD and the average Blu ray and oftentimes I think a lot of people are just telling themselves that it's "wayyy better" despite the contrary. There's been a couple of exceptions though, like 'The Thing' or 'Jaws'. But, by and large, I am usually rather nonplussed.

However, the quality of the transfer on the NOTLD Blu is unbelievable. Not that I was going to be replacing my DVD copy, or anything, but that's just...well....shite.

Yeah, that recent Jaws restoration job was awesome. If ever a series of films deserved to be lovingly, painstakingly and very expensively restored on an 'original negative' level it's Romero's original trilogy. Those films are an American institute. Especially NOTLD. This NOTLD90 debacle? Insulting.

AnxietyDilemma
05-Oct-2012, 05:15 AM
Some argue that the look suits the movie better, but regardless, the tragedy lies in the detail lost due to the filtering. The opening minutes looked so promising, and the next 20 minutes would've really sparkled in 1080p with what appears to be an otherwise clean transfer if they would have only left it as it was.

DjfunkmasterG
05-Oct-2012, 10:25 AM
Well, Tom Savini loves it. I personally think he has gone cuckoo for cocoa puffs, but yeah... we're stuck with this bullshit.

shootemindehead
05-Oct-2012, 11:17 AM
@Shoot...

There are stunning Blu-Rays, and then there are duff Blu-Rays, just like how on DVD you'd get dud ones (e.g. Nightmare in a Damaged Brain simply transfered from an old VHS tape, or Don't Look in the Basement which was "digitally remastered", but was again just a shockingly poor copy & paste hack job from a bad VHS copy to DVD), but you also get great looking ones (Blade Runner, even Transformers looks great on DVD).

However, it's the crispness where the real difference lies - I suppose it's, in a way, like a JPEG compared to a PNG. Sometimes a JPEG can look really nice, but other times the colours can look ill-defined and the detail can be softened, while a PNG has crisp colours and lines ... ... an iffy analogy, perhaps, but even on a 24 inch screen I can see the difference (even with the DVDs being upscaled - some more successful than others). Now, of course - as I've always argued - image quality doesn't tell a good story any better, or improve a duff one - but I have found myself having warmed a fair bit to a crisp HD image. That said, I still buy DVDs (I bought The Innkeepers on DVD t'other day), and I do have to wear glasses for watching the TV on the other side of the room because if I don't the HD image is reduced to SD, heh....

I've worked as a graphic designer, so your analogy makes sense. However, as stated, a "well produced" DVD can often be just a nice as a Blu ray. Of course, viewing distance is a factor. At most comfortable viewing distances, there's little benefit in choosing Blu over a good DVD. If you're sitting on top of the tele, then you will notice a difference, but I have literally watch some Blus and DVDs on the same TV's side to side and was REALLY hard pressed to point out where the Blu was better in picture quality, enough to warrant a purchase anyway. Soundwise, if you have the system, the a Blu is worth the dosh, especially for those films that have made a mark on you.

I certainly won't replacing my DVD collection with Blu's, unless it's a substantial improvement, like the recent 'Jaws' effort. However, I have mentioned my disappointment about the aspect ratios on the extras on another thread and that sullied the overall enjoyment somewhat. I primarily bought 'Jaws' for the 'The Shark is Still Working' doc and because the restoration was so lovingly done, but to be honest, was perfectly happy with the old DVD transfer. Usually, I'll get a Blu, if it's on sale. I wouldn't normally buy at Day 1 prices.

The early DVD releases you are talking about were bad, due to the producers knocking the product out from a bad transfer, as "triste realtą" said above. It had nothing to do with actual DVD limitations. For instance, I must have gone through about 3 'Zombi' DVD's before I got my hands on a decent copy.

I used to love it when I'd see some old video nasty released on DVD, by some obscure company, with "digitally remastered" emblazoned on the box. I knew that that was a load old bollox, but an awful lot of people would be taken in. It's akin to the .99 in 1.99.

But, I've bought Blu's of classics, like 'The Battle of Britain' or 'Where Eagles Dare' and have been really underwhelmed by their quality and next to their DVD brothers they're not that much of an improvement, despite being produced by major companies.

In the end though, I don't think Blu ray will kill off DVD, as far too many people still opt for the DVD when buying. They vast majority of people just don't care about Blu ray and walk up to the til with the 9.99 DVD and leave the 18.99 Blu Ray on the shelf. Some time in the future, I think some newer medium will come along and destroy both formats.

last month I went from a pan & scan VHS of Jaws to the newly released Blu-Ray (and that's a vast upgrade) - I never owned it on DVD, you see.

That's like going from this:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/world-war-i-flight-timeline6.jpg

to this:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~steven/images/me262.jpg

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2012, 12:01 PM
@Shoot - oh aye, I wasn't meaning that DVD was inherently inferior from-the-off, more that it's what you do with it - just like with Blu-Ray. If each format is handled well, the results can be stellar, but equally they can also have chucked out entries for the 'cash-in' factor. I too certainly won't be replacing my hundreds of DVDs with Blu-Rays (although I did buy The Evil Dead on Blu-Ray, despite owning it on DVD and twice on VHS :D - and I did notice a difference in the crispness).

Again, a crisp image doesn't tell a story better or make a bad-or-good movie inherently better or worse, but it is nice to see the print looking as good as it can (particularly with Jaws which was a fantastic remastering from the ground-up - although I do agree with your disappointment at The Shark Is Still Working not being rendered out in 16x9).

I often opt for the BR over the DVD these days because of extra features - the HD image is a bonus really - because I'm a special features whore. I love making ofs, deleted scenes, gag reels, all that stuff, so when the BR has all that and the DVD either has nothing or only part of that package, I have to go over to the BR.

Now, on the other hand I sometimes opt for BR over DVD because I feel the BR will have a gorgeous image for a film that has great looks - such as Drive, which I went for on BR over DVD. Similarly there was Red State, and in that case it was shot on a RED camera, so as I'd suspected the image was utterly superb - but, again, crispness is a nice plus but not a specific selling point. The extras package is what makes my decision for me, even on things that aren't really necessary to own in HD - American Pie Reunion for instance, I got it on BR for the additional extras, and while it looks crisp, the image isn't remarkable - but then it's not a film where visuals are centrally important (we're not talking Blade Runner's intricate alt-world, or a Jaws-level restoration job).

Now - Red Dwarf X - that comes out on DVD and BR in November, and I'm not sure which way I'll go yet on that. It was shot in HD from the get-go, but the real decision-maker will be the extras - will the DVD have the feature-length making-of documentary on it, plus deleted scenes and smeg-ups?

The more I've viewed various Blu-Rays, the more I have noticed the difference, but as I've said, it's still not a decision-maker in itself. If I was buying something that I was getting on a punt, I'd go for the DVD, or if the package is the same on DVD - the DVD gets it - such as with Tucker & Dale vs Evil.

Kaos
08-Oct-2012, 04:26 AM
I recently signed up with Vudu. It is a streaming own/rent service. Anyway, I had a $12 credit for setting up several boxes with it, and I sprung for their 1080P version of Night 90. It is worth every penny. It is everything that the blu-ray isn't in terms of quality. It doesn't have extras though. If you don't have the fastest of the fast broadband you can also get the 720P version.

Vudu is pretty cool. You can buy or rent from them, you can do the Walmart Disc to Digital program, and you can link your Ultraviolet movies with them.

Neil
08-Oct-2012, 02:40 PM
Maybe this is a new trend. Compare these shots from the original LOTR bluray, with the new extended bluray - BLAH! - http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/59621

W T F !

AcesandEights
08-Oct-2012, 02:45 PM
Maybe this is a new trend. Compare these shots from the original LOTR bluray, with the new extended bluray - BLAH! - http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/59621

W T F !

What the hell?

I disbelieve!

Neil
08-Oct-2012, 03:08 PM
What the hell?

I disbelieve!

New thread here - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?20834

bassman
08-Oct-2012, 03:15 PM
I recently signed up with Vudu. It is a streaming own/rent service. Anyway, I had a $12 credit for setting up several boxes with it, and I sprung for their 1080P version of Night 90. It is worth every penny. It is everything that the blu-ray isn't in terms of quality. It doesn't have extras though. If you don't have the fastest of the fast broadband you can also get the 720P version.

Vudu is pretty cool. You can buy or rent from them, you can do the Walmart Disc to Digital program, and you can link your Ultraviolet movies with them.

I was just reading about this, actually. Apparently the vudu version is definitely the way to go if you want the best HD version of Night90.

Blu Ray
http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/72287/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Vudu
http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/72288/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Blu Ray
http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/72289/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Vudu
http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/72290/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Those are pictures of the tv taken with a phone, but it still gives you an idea of which is superior...

Neil
08-Oct-2012, 03:27 PM
http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/72289/width/500/height/1000/flags/LLhttp://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/72290/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL
Christ! That image difference is like night and day, literally!

AcesandEights
08-Oct-2012, 03:35 PM
Good god, Bass! That's a scary comparison.

Soooooo glad I came across my copy of the Night '90 DVD years ago.

kidgloves
08-Oct-2012, 05:29 PM
http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/72289/width/500/height/1000/flags/LLhttp://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/72290/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL
Christ! That image difference is like night and day, literally!

How anybody could look at those images and think the left one is acceptable is beyond me.

MinionZombie
08-Oct-2012, 06:03 PM
How anybody could look at those images and think the left one is acceptable is beyond me.

Ditto. Savini must be off his bonce if he thinks that's an acceptable image! :stunned:

Meanwhile, the DVD copy that I bought for £3 is perfectly fine. :)

There was no way I was ever going to buy this Blu-Ray anyway. I enjoy the movie, but there's a few things that really irritate me (such as Judy Rose - good lord that character pissed me off sooooooooo much, she's all over the bloody shop; one of the most inconsistent characters I've ever seen in a movie).

AcesandEights
08-Oct-2012, 06:06 PM
Savini must be off his bonce

I think I agree.

Neil
08-Oct-2012, 08:45 PM
Ditto. Savini must be off his bonce if he thinks that's an acceptable image! :stunned:
Supposedly the video expert they hired, some guy called Jim O'Rear, who has apparently been doing video colouring/grading for over 25 years in big main stream films, convinced him it was the right thing to do.

MinionZombie
09-Oct-2012, 09:35 AM
Supposedly the video expert they hired, some guy called Jim O'Rear, who has apparently been doing video colouring/grading for over 25 years in big main stream films, convinced him it was the right thing to do.

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh snap, Neil ... very snap. :D

shootemindehead
09-Oct-2012, 02:32 PM

He's also an actor in Night 90. He played the rear axle of Ben's car. He's only in it for a second, mind.

What a legend.

DjfunkmasterG
10-Oct-2012, 11:36 AM
If some dumbass convinced Savini that Blu-Ray transfer was the way to go, I have definitely lost respect fo Savini's judgement when it comes to film.

If anything, Tom shoul dhave desaturated the colors, not put a smurfy filter across the film.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW< does anyone have a link to the Wal-Mart program. if I am going to own HD versions of Night 90 I want it too look right not this fucking crap.

ProfessorChaos
10-Oct-2012, 09:12 PM
the only reason i still have mine is so that i can sell it at a later date if it becomes worth a bill or so...though i can't conceive anybody paying top dollar for this turd now that the word is out on how terrible it looks.

triste realtą
11-Oct-2012, 03:48 AM
If some dumbass convinced Savini that Blu-Ray transfer was the way to go, I have definitely lost respect fo Savini's judgement when it comes to film.

If anything, Tom shoul dhave desaturated the colors, not put a smurfy filter across the film.

The dvdtalk review says it was the DP:

When director of photography Frank Prinzi was approached to oversee this latest transfer of Night of the Living Dead two years ago, presumably as part of an aborted twentieth anniversary release, he decided to take the film in a very different direction visually.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/58319/night-of-the-living-dead-limited-edition-blu-ray/

Neil
11-Oct-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm going to stick with my DVD copy for now I think!

MinionZombie
11-Oct-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm going to stick with my DVD copy for now I think!

Neil speaks sense on this one. :)

And so now it's the DP's fault? The story seems to keep changing on this one, and it's strange how none of these tidbits were ever put out there before ... also stranger is the fact that they didn't even put up a single screenshot. Hmmm ... it's as if they knew it looked ruddy awful and they just hoped nobody would care. :shifty:

Neil
11-Oct-2012, 10:24 AM
Neil speaks sense on this one. :)

And so now it's the DP's fault? The story seems to keep changing on this one, and it's strange how none of these tidbits were ever put out there before ... also stranger is the fact that they didn't even put up a single screenshot. Hmmm ... it's as if they knew it looked ruddy awful and they just hoped nobody would care. :shifty:

I assume there's no shots on the rear of the case? Would be funny if they're from the original nice and bright version, rather the smurf'ed version!

MinionZombie
11-Oct-2012, 10:26 AM
I assume there's no shots on the rear of the case? Would be funny if they're from the original nice and bright version, rather the smurf'ed version!

An interesting question - what about it folks who have bought a copy and have it to hand?

ProfessorChaos
11-Oct-2012, 11:02 AM
the only picture on the back is a shot of mr. macgruder or whatever his name is trying to push through the window as ben tries to keep him out using the door they've nailed to the window frame.

it looks rather normal, tbh.

Neil
11-Oct-2012, 11:24 AM
the only picture on the back is a shot of mr. macgruder or whatever his name is trying to push through the window as ben tries to keep him out using the door they've nailed to the window frame.

it looks rather normal, tbh.

So not an obvious shot showing if normal or smurf'ed image quality?

Mr_Shadow
11-Oct-2012, 04:27 PM
back cover 1130

my new front cover lol 1131

Neil
12-Oct-2012, 02:45 PM
^^ Class! So subtle I bet that's going over some people heads?

I've used the back cover in the memorabilia entry. Couldn't find any other images available - http://memorabilia.homepageofthedead.com/?id=344

PS: What is the catalog number for it?

AcesandEights
12-Oct-2012, 02:52 PM
^^ Class! So subtle I bet that's going over some people heads?

I don't expressly recognize the piece, but assume it's from Picasso's 'Blue Period', am I correct?

Neil
12-Oct-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't expressly recognize the piece, but assume it's from Picasso's 'Blue Period', am I correct?

Look at the before and after :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19349921
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/9491391/Elderly-woman-destroys-19th-century-fresco-with-DIY-restoration.html

bassman
12-Oct-2012, 03:32 PM
The once-dignified portrait now resembles a crayon sketch of a very hairy monkey in an ill-fitting tunic, he says

:lol:

The before and after photos are hilarious....

Kaos
05-May-2016, 01:32 AM
It looks like they finally got it right. No blue filter and it appears to be region free!

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/33358/nightofthelivingdead1990auimport.html

Moon Knight
05-May-2016, 03:36 AM
An absolute classic.

MinionZombie
05-May-2016, 09:54 AM
Damn, that looks a hell of a lot better!

I wonder if this will get a wide release in all territories, but if its Region All that's at least an option. :) It's just a shame we'll never get to see the full uncut gore footage in the movie (IIRC those elements no longer exist) ... feckin' MPAA.

Neil
05-May-2016, 01:43 PM
Damn, that looks a hell of a lot better!

I wonder if this will get a wide release in all territories, but if its Region All that's at least an option. :) It's just a shame we'll never get to see the full uncut gore footage in the movie (IIRC those elements no longer exist) ... feckin' MPAA.

Indeed... How do we get hold of this in the UK!

I've got a friend over in Australia, so at the least I guess I could get them to pick me up a copy and mail it over!?

Kaos
07-May-2016, 12:35 AM
My daughter and I are watching it tonight.

Neil
07-May-2016, 09:13 AM
My daughter and I are watching it tonight.

Awaiting a review please...

How did you get a copy?

Kaos
07-May-2016, 06:00 PM
It looks wonderful. It has the same color timing as the theatrical release. Image clarity and detail is better than I have seen since I saw it in the movie theater. Like I said earlier, the streaming service Vudu's high def presentation was better than the prior blu-ray release. This blu-ray release is well superior to the Vudu version.

I purchased it for $26 on Amazon.com. The case on the box says region B, but it appears to indeed be region free. It looks like Amazon UK is selling it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Living-Dead-Blu-Ray-Tony/dp/B01CX1FLX4/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1462643996&sr=1-2&keywords=night+of+the+living+dead

BTW - I watched in on my Optoma 1080p projector on a 100" screen. It looked awesome blown up to 100''.

Neil
08-May-2016, 08:37 PM
It looks wonderful. It has the same color timing as the theatrical release. Image clarity and detail is better than I have seen since I saw it in the movie theater. Like I said earlier, the streaming service Vudu's high def presentation was better than the prior blu-ray release. This blu-ray release is well superior to the Vudu version.

I purchased it for $26 on Amazon.com. The case on the box says region B, but it appears to indeed be region free. It looks like Amazon UK is selling it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Living-Dead-Blu-Ray-Tony/dp/B01CX1FLX4/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1462643996&sr=1-2&keywords=night+of+the+living+dead

BTW - I watched in on my Optoma 1080p projector on a 100" screen. It looked awesome blown up to 100''.

One of the reviewers (amazon.co.uk) says it's "region b"!? I suspect that won't play on my bluray player :(

I thought it was suppose to be region free? :(

shootemindehead
09-May-2016, 12:46 AM
Region B is Europe Neil. It should play fine. Your sig says London?

Neil
09-May-2016, 09:49 AM
Region B is Europe Neil. It should play fine. Your sig says London?

Ahhh! Yes! Region B is Europe too! I'm more used to seeing "Region 2"...

Ordering now... :)

MinionZombie
09-May-2016, 10:26 AM
Ahhh! Yes! Region B is Europe too! I'm more used to seeing "Region 2"...

DVDs had six regions: 1 through 6 ... but to make matters nice and confusing, with Blu-Ray there's only three regions: A, B, and C.

Here in the UK we're 2/B.

ProfessorChaos
09-May-2016, 02:52 PM
thanks for the heads up, already ordered mine and waiting for it to ship! the twilight times release was such a letdown. i have the digital vudu version, but really wanted a decent copy to sit on my shelf with my other blu rays. should be here by week's end, really pumped to see how good the picture quality is....can't wait to have another excuse to watch one of my favorite movies!

Neil
09-May-2016, 06:21 PM
DVDs had six regions: 1 through 6 ... but to make matters nice and confusing, with Blu-Ray there's only three regions: A, B, and C.

Here in the UK we're 2/B.

OK... Thanks for highlighting my total ignorance... :)

EDIT: Ordered... :)

ProfessorChaos
17-May-2016, 03:44 AM
as kaos said, this is the definitive edition of this film to own as far as picture quality goes. it looks a damn sight crisper than the vudu version, and i am debating if i even want to keep my copy of the twilight times BLUE ray. while it's not as awful as the 30th anniversary edition of the original, that twilight times version was like a kick to the nuts on first viewing. i also really dig them using that image from the film's poster as the cover.

MinionZombie
17-May-2016, 09:37 AM
as kaos said, this is the definitive edition of this film to own as far as picture quality goes. it looks a damn sight crisper than the vudu version, and i am debating if i even want to keep my copy of the twilight times BLUE ray. while it's not as awful as the 30th anniversary edition of the original, that twilight times version was like a kick to the nuts on first viewing. i also really dig them using that image from the film's poster as the cover.

Maybe hang on to it? Might it become a collector's item of some value in time? Might people take to tossing out their blue-tinted copies in favour of this?

Kaos
04-Jun-2016, 02:54 AM
OK, Neil. Fess up. What's your take?

OK... Thanks for highlighting my total ignorance... :)

EDIT: Ordered... :)

Neil
04-Jun-2016, 01:08 PM
OK, Neil. Fess up. What's your take?

Not watched it yet...

Kaos
25-Mar-2017, 03:26 AM
I was watching the new blu-ray tonight on my projector and you can see the crew in the reflection of Barbara's glasses in a close-up in the cemetery right before the Greg Funk zombie attack.

kidgloves
04-Nov-2018, 05:06 PM
Another version 4.5/5 for video

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/64972/nightofthelivingdead1990.html

ProfessorChaos
06-Nov-2018, 12:17 AM
^

given how much i love this film, i had to go ahead and order this version too. thanks for the heads-up.

i really like the quality of the umbrella release, but didn't realize how much brighter they'd made the picture. christ, compared to twilight times disc, i thought it looked perfect.