PDA

View Full Version : A Question: Has Doctor Who become too much like Twilight?

Cykotic
15-Sep-2012, 03:35 PM
So, I'm a HUGE fan of Doctor Who. I cannot stand Twilight and I have a horrible feeling that the two have become somewhat combined... and it seems that i'm not the only one. I was checking the vlogs that i'm subscribed to and this one grabbed my attention: J01M4iiZ1T8

Opinions please? Has anyone else noticed this disturbing development?

Andy
15-Sep-2012, 04:26 PM
Cant say ive watched dr who for a long time.. i find with the new series im liking them even less with each doctor.

Christopher eccleston - great
David Tennant - good
Matt Smith - lame..

Kaos
18-Sep-2012, 01:27 PM
I am playing catch up with Tennant, and I have started watching Matt Smith. FIOS just added BBCA HD, so I am giving it go again.

MinionZombie
18-Sep-2012, 03:07 PM
Haven't noticed the 'Twilight similarities' as I've never seen or read anything Twilight.

As for Doctor Who, what I am sick of, is that particular musical refrain, or melody, or whatever music-people call it, that they keep using since Matt Smith took over. Do they not have any other goddamned melodies for this show?! Yeah, it was a good melody (or whatever it's called), but damnit, stop using it ALL THE TIME.

Also - forced drama and seriousness, the show seems to pull in two different directions sometimes and it can easily get shoved right up its own arse, particularly in recent series (we're now into the seventh series since the show struck back with Ecclestone). I've become rather bored with the show - although with a mere 5 episodes in this recent batch, I think it has really helped. While the 'dinosaurs on a ship' episode was a bit too daft, I really dug the idea of a Dalek asylum where all the really crazy Daleks get shunted off to. I also rather enjoyed the gunslinger episode, even if - as is often the case - the bad guy ended up walking around looking mean rather than really doing an awful lot. Still - it's been better here than the last series, which really dragged on too long and featured too many silly episodes and preachy ideas and so on ... all that 'ooh the Doctor will die' bullshit was piss-weak from the start, as you flat-out from minute one he'll never be killed off.

Generally speaking though I do like Amy and Rory as characters, and while Matt Smith is good as the Doctor, I much preferred Tennant personally.

Either they stop making the show, or they do much smaller batches of episodes - because I think they're running out of steam, and I do think they could do with a bit of a course correction in terms of how they execute the show. With someone like Moffat behind the show, you're always on the look-out for some preachy bleeding heart message getting sunk in somewhere. Most of the time it's not bad, but sometimes he just can't help himself and it turns into a groan fest.

Another thing - running episodes - as in ones where they just run around a bunch of corridors for ages and that's about it. They need to sort that out too.

In summary though, I wouldn't be bothered if they stopped making them and gave them a rest.

Mike70
18-Sep-2012, 05:02 PM
I took an intense, immediate dislike to the new show and have never paid much attention to it. the ep. with the werewolf in it is the only one i can stand.

it has none of the campy fun and charm of the old show that i used to look forward to on PBS back when i was kid.

in short, it takes itself way too damn seriously.