PDA

View Full Version : NASA is working on Faster Than Light Warp Drive....

Kaos
18-Sep-2012, 01:12 AM
... based on a Star Trek style warp bubble.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/17/warp-drive-star-trek-feasible_n_1890679.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&ir=Technology&src=sp&comm_ref=false

It says that 10c is feasible. That is less than half a year trip to our nearest neighbor.

Shit yeah! Now let's go annoy some aliens!

Neil
18-Sep-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2204913/Nasa-breakthrough-suggests-Star-Treks-warp-drives-possible--practical.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre's theories are the most practical, mooting a ring around a sphere-shaped spaceship, which would contract space in front of the ship, and expand space behind it.

This would allow faster-than-light travel - if astrophysicists could harness planet-sized energy or sip power from a supernova.

Kaos
18-Sep-2012, 01:21 PM
Merged.

Mike70
18-Sep-2012, 03:56 PM
it is nice to know that some human beings still take thought for the future. this must happen whatever the cost if our species to survive long term. i'd rather dump money on things like this than building better bombs.

i could weigh in much further on this subject but the articles pretty well cover it and the both of you are space geeks like me.

Neil
18-Sep-2012, 08:18 PM
Merged.

You mean you warped the two threads togethor?

MoonSylver
18-Sep-2012, 09:51 PM
You mean you warped the two threads togethor?

Mods modding mods, dogs and cats living together, MASS HYSTERIA!!! :lol:

Kaos
18-Sep-2012, 10:22 PM
Mods modding mods, dogs and cats living together, MASS HYSTERIA!!! :lol:

That would be mod modding admin, sir. ;)

Even if they went to .33c for travel within the solar system, that would mean less than an hour to Mars.

Exatreides
21-Sep-2012, 01:48 PM
How would you slow down? That's just as important.

Kaos
21-Sep-2012, 02:24 PM
Not sure, Ex. However, how does momentum work inside the warp bubble since the vessel supposedly isn't moving, the space around it is? I suspect that is some of what is being worked on. Even if momentum does come into play I would suspect that changing the way space is warped around the vessel could be how it would be done.