PDA

View Full Version : Revolution (TV series)

Neil
18-Sep-2012, 12:00 PM
A new sci-fi series set 15 years after a mysterious event somehow renders all motor vehicles and electrical devices on the planet (even the ones that run on batteries) useless, “Revolution” comes to us from J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot production company (“Fringe,” “Person of Interest”) and writer-producer Eric Kripke (creator of The WB’s “Tarzan” and “Supernatural”).

JwfCRAtkYEI

Kaos
18-Sep-2012, 01:23 PM
Recorded it last night, and plan on watching it tonight.

AcesandEights
18-Sep-2012, 01:43 PM
It was decent, but too early to see how the writing will pan out. I've been looking forward to this since I saw the promos for it, as it seems very reminiscent of S.M. Stirlings early Emberverse stuff:

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309209577l/116445.jpg

http://ecimages.kobobooks.com/Image.ashx?imageID=gNXYPXgSGUi3Jjkt0RrdkQ&Type=Full

MinionZombie
18-Sep-2012, 03:13 PM
Hmmm, looks interesting ... not sure if I'll watch it yet though. Too many shows on the go as it is.

One thing I noticed though is that everyone looks a bit too pretty for a world that's gone 15 years without electricity. Look at The Walking Dead, everyone in that show is covered in muck and sweat - it looks like the apocalypse - and while in this show they'd probably have more chance for washing etc, they do still all look a bit too clean and pretty.

Also - the dude that played Gustavo Fring! :hyper:

AcesandEights
18-Sep-2012, 03:42 PM
One thing I noticed though is that everyone looks a bit too pretty for a world that's gone 15 years without electricity. Look at The Walking Dead, everyone in that show is covered in muck and sweat - it looks like the apocalypse - and while in this show they'd probably have more chance for washing etc, they do still all look a bit too clean and pretty.

Poor comparison, MZ. TWD is current apocalypse, this setting is post and more in keeping with just generally lower tech levels. Though things are a bit too pretty perhaps, people who are mindful of cleanliness and knowledgeable about its relation to basic health would make some effort in their settled villages to bathe regularly (more so than a direct analog to pre-industrial times of the past), albeit probably not daily or as often as most people currently go about their showering schedule. They've basically had 15 years to settle down and get their act together, they shouldn't be as clean on average as a modern era person from our timeline, but they can still be somewhat tidy in their appearance.

Danny
18-Sep-2012, 05:00 PM
Ugh, watched it, really disliked it. Personally im sick of the "IS THIS THE YEARS LOST OR TERRA NOVA??" bollocks where we apparently 'NEED' watercooler "questions for the sake of asspulled questions" television.

AcesandEights
18-Sep-2012, 05:08 PM
Ugh, watched it, really disliked it. Personally im sick of the "IS THIS THE YEARS LOST OR TERRA NOVA??" bollocks where we apparently 'NEED' watercooler "questions for the sake of asspulled questions" television.

Heh, I felt the same way by the time the credits rolled. I got a very throwback feel to 1st season Jericho, which even at that time was pulling too heavily from Lost's playbook, and doing it better than this show. However, I punched out of Lost early and didn't get suckered into a lot of its clones, so either I haven't been worn down by the same-old, same-old to the extent you have Danny, or I just don't know better to avoid the trap entirely.

Publius
19-Sep-2012, 08:46 AM
It was decent, but too early to see how the writing will pan out. I've been looking forward to this since I saw the promos for it, as it seems very reminiscent of S.M. Stirlings early Emberverse stuff:

I thought it WAS based on the Emberverse from the previews. It wasn't nearly as good as Stirling's series. The magical amulets seem, well, kinda dumb. And once they showed that firearms still worked, that pretty much killed the "end of technology" premise for me. If gunpowder works normally, why wouldn't other combustion-based technology (e.g. gasoline engines)? Why does the world mostly look like it's at a quasi-medieval tech level (most people armed with swords, bows, crossbows) rather than a late-18th-century technology level?

Neil
19-Sep-2012, 09:47 AM
I thought it WAS based on the Emberverse from the previews. It wasn't nearly as good as Stirling's series. The magical amulets seem, well, kinda dumb. And once they showed that firearms still worked, that pretty much killed the "end of technology" premise for me. If gunpowder works normally, why wouldn't other combustion-based technology (e.g. gasoline engines)? Why does the world mostly look like it's at a quasi-medieval tech level (most people armed with swords, bows, crossbows) rather than a late-18th-century technology level?

Isn't it that electricity isn't working for some reason? So coal, gas, fire are all OK!?

Mike70
19-Sep-2012, 03:11 PM

this "show" was ridiculous on so many levels that it boggles the mind. i've seen enough and won't be back for more. you've pretty much hit it right on the nail in the above post. the whole thing makes about as much sense as a submarine with screen doors on it.

it seemed a rather pathetic attempt to cash in on the whole 2012 paranoia idiocy.

wayzim
20-Sep-2012, 05:19 PM
this "show" was ridiculous on so many levels that it boggles the mind. i've seen enough and won't be back for more. you've pretty much hit it right on the nail in the above post. the whole thing makes about as much sense as a submarine with screen doors on it.

it seemed a rather pathetic attempt to cash in on the whole 2012 paranoia idiocy.

Yep, I barely got through the pilot since it looked like what was left for we viewers to ponder - the writers hadn't even figured out yet. Not a good start at all.

Wayne Z

JDFP
27-Sep-2012, 11:46 PM

This. I wasn't impressed by it at all. Of course, I didn't really high hopes going into it. I might check out another episode to see if it pcks up any - but I'll be cashing out if it doesn't.

It's on NBC anyway - so I doubt it'll make it past 12 episodes - no need to get attached to a show that won't make it.

j.p.

EvilNed
28-Sep-2012, 05:12 AM
Just from watching the preview:

1) Cozy catastrophe. Too neat. Too tidy. Too clean. This is not even close to what a world would look like 15 years down the line if the electricity went today. I have zero interest in watching this.

2) It's too "happy meal". Too much of a product. Like Terra Nova. Unrealistic characters, swordfighting (????!!!) and uniformed Militias?

3) So that's what happened to Gus Fring...