PDA

View Full Version : All New 2:30 Clip from DEADLANDS

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jul-2006, 10:17 PM
Since I am trying to drive up the action level in the film you all get to be my test audience. So here is a completed clip with all Visual FX in place.

LINK REMOVED!

Fulcifan91
05-Jul-2006, 10:46 PM
Awesome, I happy the way Cindy's throat turned out.

axlish
05-Jul-2006, 11:16 PM
Sorry man, I refuse to watch. You are giving away too much!

coma
06-Jul-2006, 01:35 AM
On this and the last clip, I think the music is way too loud. It is dominating and crashes (too much red level/ Unbalanced gain structure) on the louder parts, such as when the bass/Kicks/ toms (whatever that is) comes in. It gets distorted and loses defintion. The sound Fx and dialouge should be above , or at least, just above the soundtrack, not just below. its getting lost. Plus I think theres a hair too much treble on the rides.
If the gain structure is too amplified and crashing on the music track itself it should be remixed. If that is left unchange, and you play it loud in a theatre setting, you are gonna cringe because glitches and unwanted distortion is jacked way the hell up in that enviorment.

The effext (throat) looks good, but my main forte is Sound production. Probably not the critique you were looking for, but kick ass sound makes a movie. I mean, you can make all sorts of visual errors with lighting etc (not saying you did) but clean sound can wash away a lot of that. Uneven sound is the downfall of many a low budget epic.

Adrenochrome
06-Jul-2006, 01:46 AM
Funk yeah!!!
The music is GREAT!!!!! (right before they find the girl in the car........the "voice FX" sound thingy....whatever you call it)
coma is right tho....it (the music) could be taken down just a bit.......(keeping that "voice thingy" the way it is, but kinda creeping up the back of the neck - if that makes sense)

MapMan
06-Jul-2006, 02:14 AM
Can't wait for the release. This is gonna be excellent !

Adrenochrome
06-Jul-2006, 02:17 AM
Can't wait for the release. This is gonna be excellent !
Hell ya!!! I've been waiting for this one!!!!!

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jul-2006, 09:58 AM
On this and the last clip, I think the music is way too loud. It is dominating and crashes (too much red level/ Unbalanced gain structure) on the louder parts, such as when the bass/Kicks/ toms (whatever that is) comes in. It gets distorted and loses defintion. The sound Fx and dialouge should be above , or at least, just above the soundtrack, not just below. its getting lost. Plus I think theres a hair too much treble on the rides.
If the gain structure is too amplified and crashing on the music track itself it should be remixed. If that is left unchange, and you play it loud in a theatre setting, you are gonna cringe because glitches and unwanted distortion is jacked way the hell up in that enviorment.

The effext (throat) looks good, but my main forte is Sound production. Probably not the critique you were looking for, but kick ass sound makes a movie. I mean, you can make all sorts of visual errors with lighting etc (not saying you did) but clean sound can wash away a lot of that. Uneven sound is the downfall of many a low budget epic.

Hmmm weird you're getting red levels, when I mixed it all together I was bearly touching the orange on the level meters for the editor. I agree the ride cymbal can come down a bit, and the distorted guitar is a tad loud, but even this morning I opened the editor and played the track back without dialogue and everything was good few times into orange, but nothing red.

Thanks for the feedback though.

deadwrtr
06-Jul-2006, 12:12 PM
I missed the last clip you posted... damn bad timing!

Famous Last Words:

"F*ck this, I'm takin' a walk."

CLaSSiC!!

I like the tempo of the clip, and the way first one zombie shows up, then a couple more, then a whole lot more.

Nicely acted, Gary. :) I'm eager to see the final product.

Pistolero Films
06-Jul-2006, 01:06 PM
Nice work. The girl in the car looked cool, but the dude walking right after with the two black eyes made me laugh. The timing was good and good shots, lighting etc. The sound was distorted on my end as well, so you may want to check the levels. Perhaps it is good on your end, but for some of us it is peaking way too much. I couldn't hear some of talking.

But overall nice atmosphere.

livingdeadboy
06-Jul-2006, 01:19 PM
Pretty spiffy looking dude!

coma
06-Jul-2006, 02:01 PM
Hmmm weird you're getting red levels, when I mixed it all together I was bearly touching the orange on the level meters for the editor. I agree the ride cymbal can come down a bit, and the distorted guitar is a tad loud, but even this morning I opened the editor and played the track back without dialogue and everything was good few times into orange, but nothing red..

I could hear it with my ears, I thought maybe the song itself was mixed too loud. One trick is too listen on different systems of varying quality (though my set up pretty good). its a pain to make it smooth on every system, but it pays off in the end.
You can try automating the music level, up and down, deoending on the sound fx and dialouge.

Gain structure means the level all the way through. In other words, the master level may be good, but the individual tracks may be too loud, causeing distortion. The master level won't stop the earlier crash levels from being "clippy". Every level all the way through, on evry track had to be in control. using only the master level can hide the fact that the gain structure is not balanced.
A duck limiter/compresser can help, of its subtle. when dialoug happens the signal triggers a limiter on the music, causing the volume to decrease, then rise again. Such as a Radio DJ talking over music or maybe an Elton John tune. When he signs the band gets ducked making his vox appear much louder.
I dodnt think the ride was too loud as much as the mid treble could be rolled off a hair, that would smooth it out without loosing the crispyness of the mix.

I like the music, alot, btw. Did you do it?

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jul-2006, 02:43 PM
Yep...

I wrote that song, and the opening credits music. LouCipherr has been adding his guitar to the opening Credits music, and a few other tracks. The guitars in this track were completely digital.

AcesandEights
06-Jul-2006, 05:31 PM
DJ, what app are you using to run this off your site? I can never view the footage you put up, even when prompted to download a plug-in, for it.

Anyway, the production stills always look pretty good :(

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jul-2006, 07:22 PM
It is Yahoo web builder... It is just a WMV embedded file.

Debbieangel
07-Jul-2006, 02:09 AM
wow DJ what can I say? As a consumer I cant wait to lay my money down to see your movie!! Both clips that u let us view are excellent...edge of your seat kind of stuff! I dont know and wont pretend to know anything about making a movie but, for my money this one is a winner!!!! What is going to be the finished running time? Is it still going to be a short film or full length film? I sure wish you the best luck with your work you and the crew did on this movie!!!Please let us know when its coming out...cant wait to see the finished product!!!

chukrok
07-Jul-2006, 02:31 AM
Nice job guys! I can't wait to see the finished product.

MinionZombie
07-Jul-2006, 06:27 PM
VERY nice.

Excellent music, excellent pacing, good acting too - very natural and believable. Nice atmosphere, wicked zombies and a Mustang thrown in to boot. Everytime you flash us some new footage it's getting better and better, good work to all involved! :cool:

DjfunkmasterG
08-Jul-2006, 05:01 AM
Thanks guys... we really appreciate it.

It won't be much longer. Our pickup shot weekend is about 2-3 weeks away, and after that it is just tightening up the edit and Voila... it will be ready for release. I would say by late September to mid October should be the release date. :D

zombiesman
12-Jul-2006, 06:14 PM
Cool when is this coming out? Is it going to be in theaters?

DjfunkmasterG
21-Jul-2006, 11:53 AM
I am having a one night only showing in Baltimore sometime in October... still wokring out the details... Anyway, other than that this will pretty much be a film fest release and DVD release.

Mikey
24-Jul-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm still impressed with the production (super camera work and edititing).

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jul-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks... :D

BTW Everyone, the clip has been removed.