PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Atlas (film) - Looks amazing!

Neil
05-Oct-2012, 10:10 AM
hWnAqFyaQ5s

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58719

CLOUD ATLAS is a masterpiece. It is one of the finest films I have ever seen, and it fills me with happiness and tears just thinking back on it. It is everything I have always wanted a film to be, and even if others do not take away the same things that I did, it does not matter. What I have taken from CLOUD ATLAS is without any measure, a rich experience that I will never forget.

I think this is out later this month in the US, but not until February in the UK :(

rongravy
11-Jan-2013, 03:29 AM
Just got back from seeing it. I guess I liked it, but it took an extremely long time to start making any sense. I never read the book, so I have no idea if that would've helped. The last hour is where it all starts to kind of come together, and there is alot more going on. Glad I stuck around, I figured I'd stayed the first two hours, so I might as well finish strong.
So, yeah, a bit long in the tooth at times, but worth seeing through to the end. Some nice T&A, as well.
Don't want to spoil anything for anyone who might want to wait to rent it, but Hugo Weaving is one creepy looking bastard sometimes. Him as an Asian is weird as get out...

EvilNed
11-Jan-2013, 09:12 AM
Not seen the film (yet).

I've read the book, and thought it was great. But the feeling I have from reading the book was that it was essentially 6 not-so-connected short stories of about 80-100 pages each. There's some references to each other, for instance in the book each story is somehow written down or transcribed only to be picked up and read by the character in the coming story. The Pacific Journal is read by the english vagabond who writes letters who're read by the recipient at a much later time and included in a biographical, unpublished script which is at an even later date read by a publicist, etc. etc.

I'm not sure if the author intended there to be a greater link between the stories, but I almost wished there had been. The book was good, all the stories were interesting but there wasn't one grand pay off to everything. Or if there was, I missed it.

Also, It'll be interesting to see Tom Hanks and Halle Berry in the final, apocalyptic story set on Hawaii (or Ha-Why as it's referred to as in their time), simply because in the book those characters are 16 and 50 years of age respectively...

By the look of the trailer, they seem to have added plenty of love stories between characters that were never in love in the book. Case in point, Tom Hanks and Halle Berry's characters.

Anyway, looking forward to this film. But the idiotic producers are stupid as hell in releasing it in Europe 5 months after it's US release date? Half the audience will have already seen it in a pirated form. This is exactly why piracy flourishes, people won't wait 5 months to see something they can see today.

Neil
11-Jan-2013, 12:39 PM
Seems a number of folks are bemused why it didn't get Oscar nominations in any categories?!