PDA

View Full Version : Italy scientists guilty of manslaughter for not predicting an earthquake

Neil
22-Oct-2012, 09:57 PM
Not overly familiar with this case, but it sounds like madness! Found guilty for not correctly predicting an earthquake? What am I missing here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20025626

Six Italian scientists and an ex-government official have been sentenced to six years in prison over the 2009 deadly earthquake in L'Aquila.

A regional court found them guilty of multiple manslaughter.

Prosecutors said the defendants gave a falsely reassuring statement before the quake, while the defence maintained there was no way to predict major quakes.

The case has alarmed many in the scientific community, who feel science itself has been put on trial.

Some scientists have warned that the case might set a damaging precedent, deterring experts from sharing their knowledge with the public for fear of being targeted in lawsuits, the BBC's Alan Johnston in Rome reports.

Among those convicted were some of Italy's most prominent and internationally respected seismologists and geological experts.

Earlier, more than 5,000 scientists signed an open letter to Italian President Giorgio Napolitano in support of the group in the dock.

Mike70
23-Oct-2012, 01:46 PM
I have been following this story closely and this is absolutely ridiculous from the word go. the actions of volcanoes are not at all very predictable. some of them blow their tops suddenly and completely without warning. some go on for months or years before they go.

as for warning the public: that isn't the job of scientists. it is the job of the civilian "authorities". they can choose to either act on the information given to them or do what what bureaucrats usually do: nothing until it is too late.

the subject of volcanoes is not just a passing interest of mine. it's one of those things that i've been doing/studying/reading/visiting volcanoes for my entire life. as i've shared in another thread, i'm going back to school and this is field of study is right at the top of my list.

just for an example of something that could happen in the future: Mt. Vesuvius has a history of deadly and sudden eruptions and is due for one any time (the last was in the 40s). it is one of those volcanoes that like to just suddenly go crackerdog apeshit. whose fault will that be if it goes from dormancy to lunacy in the space of a day or so?

this is another ridiculous example of people looking for a scapegoat and because most people are scientifically ignorant as hell, science often provides one. I would also challenge the notion that any court is capable of sitting in judgment or making decisions about subjects that take years or even decades to master. in short, courts are simply not competent to hear or make judgments about scientific subjects.

and i thought the ambulance chasing lawyers on this side of the Atlantic were assholes...

i guess the next step is to arrest meteorologists for tornadoes that form suddenly and strike with little warning - something that happens in North America all the time. or hold them criminally liable because a hurricane takes an unpredicted path.

this should enrage anyone who is either scientifically literate or just has plain common sense. :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

Neil
23-Oct-2012, 01:56 PM
i guess the next step is to arrest meteorologists for tornadoes
No! The first step, before even these guys, should have been to arrest the astrologists surely!?

Mike70
23-Oct-2012, 01:59 PM
No! The first step, before even these guys, should have been to arrest the astrologists surely!?

:lol: for failing to warn people of impending doom in their horoscopes?

AcesandEights
23-Oct-2012, 02:07 PM
Ah, that famous impassioned Italian decision-making, for which they are so (in)famous...with apologies to any that comment might offend :D