PDA

View Full Version : New Conan starring Schwarzenegger?

krisvds
26-Oct-2012, 06:09 AM
Please make it so. I love the original, even the sequel is a guilty pleasure to me. The recent remake was all kinds of atrocious.
This sounds like they could be resurrecting Millius' original 'King Conan' idea. Get the man involved I'd say.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59297

shootemindehead
26-Oct-2012, 10:16 AM
Arnie's become a parody of himself, though, at this stage. It could be another load of old buggery.

He's also 60 odd. It'll be kind of limiting. I'd like to see it work, but I ain't gonna hold my breath.

"As for where it would place in the Conan timeline, Morgan said that, for him, it's as if the Momoa reboot and CONAN THE DESTROYER never happened..."

Unfortunately, they did happen. How the fu*k can things just be developed so badly? Especially something that doesn't have to be written from scratch.

"You wanted Arnold back in some of his classic roles? You got it... although there's no telling how this might affect that planned TERMINATOR 5..."

Oh FFS.

EvilNed
26-Oct-2012, 10:54 AM
I believe that a John Milius penned / and or helmed Conan film about an aging Conan with Arnie in the role could be great. Awesome. That would suit Arnold's strengths as well.

But a Terminator 5? By this point, Arnold is noticeably older than he was in T2 or even T3 so I don't see how they're gonna pull that off. And I'm one of those that enjoyed T3.

bassman
26-Oct-2012, 12:03 PM
As I said in the shoutbox, this just wreaks of an old man trying to re-live his glory days. Not interested at all. Never was a huge fan of the original films, anyway.

Danny
26-Oct-2012, 12:39 PM
jeez, leave it to jason mamoa arnold, at your age stallone won the old action star competition :lol:

wayzim
26-Oct-2012, 12:40 PM
Arnie's become a parody of himself, though, at this stage. It could be another load of old buggery.

He's also 60 odd. It'll be kind of limiting. I'd like to see it work, but I ain't gonna hold my breath.

Unfortunately, they did happen. How the fu*k can things just be developed so badly? Especially something that doesn't have to be written from scratch.

Oh FFS.

The thing with Conan The Destroyer was that the producers got skittish when films like The Sword and The Sorceror were goofing on the whole genre, so they pandered to that crowd rather than continue to to do it straight. Millius brought respect ( yes, even with the lamendation of the vemen ) to the barbarian which I loved.

Wayne Z

AcesandEights
26-Oct-2012, 02:08 PM
If they were going to play the whole King Conan / Phoenix on the Sword angle, they should have done it like 10 years ago or so.

jeez, leave it to jason mamoa arnold, at your age stallone won the old action star competition :lol:
This ^. It's odd that I was just thinking about this yesterday (having seen some Demolition Man on late night cable 2 evenings back), but Stallone--despite some laughable character foibles and occasionally bad project choices--really does shine next to Schwarzzeneger over the last, what? 20 years? It seemed like just as the 1st half of his career was waning, Arnie's was on the rise and then Stallone mounted his comeback just as Arnie was getting to be old hat and began his fall off.

Is any sort of film comeback possible for Arnie at this point, or will any attempt be ho-hum and lackluster? Could he even change it up by flipping expectations and going in a different direction, or has it all run its course?

Danny
26-Oct-2012, 02:19 PM
If they were going to play the whole King Conan / Phoenix on the Sword angle, they should have done it like 10 years ago or so.

This ^. It's odd that I was just thinking about this yesterday (having seen some Demolition Man on late night cable 2 evenings back), but Stallone--despite some laughable character foibles and occasionally bad project choices really does shine next to Schwarzzeneger over the last--what, 20 years? It seemed like just as the 1st half of his career was waning, Arnie's was on the rise and then Stallone mounted his comeback just as Arnie was falling off.

Heres the difference: arnie tried politics while stallone worked his ass off in the directing chair with stuff like rocky balboa and rambo, neither truly oscar winning films, but any time in a directors chair always has an improvement on an actors ability. the difference is simple, stallone didnt give a shit that he was getting old and kept doing what he loves, arnie got old and flabby and dropped out because nobody watched his kids films anymore.

krisvds
26-Oct-2012, 03:59 PM
I believe that a John Milius penned / and or helmed Conan film about an aging Conan with Arnie in the role could be great. Awesome. That would suit Arnold's strengths as well.

This. Couldn't agree more.

krakenslayer
26-Oct-2012, 05:50 PM
This is the best news I have heard all year.

Christopher Jon
27-Oct-2012, 02:36 AM
Heres the difference: arnie tried politics while stallone worked his ass off in the directing chair with stuff like rocky balboa and rambo, neither truly oscar winning films, but any time in a directors chair always has an improvement on an actors ability. the difference is simple, stallone didnt give a shit that he was getting old and kept doing what he loves, arnie got old and flabby and dropped out because nobody watched his kids films anymore.

While I wouldn't say Stallone is a great actor, he started off strong with Rocky, which he wrote and it did win an Oscar for best picture. His choices for roles in the 80's-90's made him a parody of himself. Rocky should have ended with Rocky II and First Blood should have been the only Rambo movie. He has done other stuff along the way, like Copland, that shows he's capable of being more that a cartoon action hero.

As for Conan, hell yeah. If it a return to the Milius vision, I'm in. Time to crush some enemies.

As for more Terminator movies, hell no. Just let the franchise die with what little dignity it has left.

krakenslayer
27-Oct-2012, 06:25 AM
I'll make a prediction about the next Terminator movie: Arnold won't be playing a Terminator. He'll be playing the now-middle-aged human template upon which model 101 is based.

When McG still had the rights, he mentioned he wanted to bring back Robert Patrick for the next one, who would have been playing a human former weapons researcher upon whose work Skynet built to develop the T-1000. McG now probably won't have anything to do with the next one, but Hollywood is cannibalistic like that. The concept makes sense and it's so easy to wrap a plot around that I struggle to see them NOT going down a similar route. As long as they don't decide to stick some glasses on Arnold and call him an "inventor" or some such shit.

The post-T2 Terminator novels had a retired CIA agent as a template for the T-101. The guy becomes an ally of Sarah and John's before Judgment Day and ultimately ends up in a relationship with Sarah. Now THERE'S sex scene I bet you never imagined!

As for Conan, original author R. E. Howard wrote a number stories about King Conan in his twilight years, so, conceptually at least, the new sequel seems to fit in quite naturally with the lore of the character and has the potential to be a lot more than just some contrived attempt to revive the series.

Danny
27-Oct-2012, 01:22 PM
While I wouldn't say Stallone is a great actor, he started off strong with Rocky, which he wrote and it did win an Oscar for best picture. His choices for roles in the 80's-90's made him a parody of himself. Rocky should have ended with Rocky II and First Blood should have been the only Rambo movie. He has done other stuff along the way, like Copland, that shows he's capable of being more that a cartoon action hero.

As for Conan, hell yeah. If it a return to the Milius vision, I'm in. Time to crush some enemies.

As for more Terminator movies, hell no. Just let the franchise die with what little dignity it has left.

true hes not amazing, but both him and arnie went into the "family friendly route" and with stuff like rocky balboa stallone certainly came out the other side looking less like he just needed another paycheck yknow?

krisvds
27-Oct-2012, 05:05 PM
true hes not amazing, but both him and arnie went into the "family friendly route" and with stuff like rocky balboa stallone certainly came out the other side looking less like he just needed another paycheck yknow?

i always thought Sly keeps resurrecting Rambo and Rocky to pay the bills. Money in the bank. Not because of any artistic motivations or to show of his directorial (lol!) skills.
Have to admit Rambo 4 is a guilty pleasure of mine, albeit a very guilty one.

Danny
27-Oct-2012, 06:02 PM
i always thought Sly keeps resurrecting Rambo and Rocky to pay the bills. Money in the bank. Not because of any artistic motivations or to show of his directorial (lol!) skills.
Have to admit Rambo 4 is a guilty pleasure of mine, albeit a very guilty one.

If it ended with the one with tommy gunn id agree but balboa seemed a little too.. i dunno, i guess sincere the word i think to be a cash in like terminator 3.