PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! TWD 3x03 "Walk With Me" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2012, 10:42 AM
This is the thread for episode 3x03 "Walk With Me" discussion - keep talk of this episode within this thread, and remember, when discussing future comic book plots that might make it into the show, always use SPOILER TAGS. Nobody likes spoilers. If you're unsure of how to use spoiler tags, you can find out how in the HPOTD FAQ (link in my signature) in the section about "BB Code".

Enjoy!

Cykotic
29-Oct-2012, 02:01 AM
So we all knew a certain fan favorite was gonna appear in this episode, and watching it now, i have to say... not disappointed!

As for Merle.... might be wrong, but has he kinda... mellowed?

- - - Updated - - -

actually, the governor is more fucked up than i thought

JonOfTheShred
29-Oct-2012, 02:08 AM
Another epic episode. Season 3 has been so on point.

Good to see Merle back. Was cool he offered condolences to Andrea. Wonder if he's dealt with his racism? Considering he was kicking it with that very Tyrese looking dude.

They did a really good job of making the Governor seem likable at first. I've been a fan of the comic for years, and I was even thinking "Are they really gonna make him admirable?" But then when he asked the crash survivor where the rest of the his group was, I knew he was gonna end up killing them.

AnxietyDilemma
29-Oct-2012, 02:12 AM

Good to see Merle back. Was cool he offered condolences to Andrea. Wonder if he's dealt with his racism? Considering he was kicking it with that very Tyrese looking dude.

They did a really good job of making the Governor seem likable at first. I've been a fan of the comic for years, and I was even thinking "Are they really gonna make him admirable?" But then when he asked the crash survivor where the rest of the his group was, I knew he was gonna end up killing them.

They have apparently addressed Merle's behavior, as is evident when shades of the old Merle surface, and the Governor chastises him.

Moon Knight
29-Oct-2012, 02:43 AM
Good stuff. This season is just gonna be epic.

ProfessorChaos
29-Oct-2012, 04:03 AM
damn, the governor is fucking brutal. since it wasn't in the comics, i was pretty taken by surprise when they ambushed those soldiers and jacked all their gear....pretty messed up stuff.

and i was almost squirming in anticipation on the couch once the governor went to his private room and i heard the sounds of the fish tanks....awesome scene from the books that they totally nailed. my guests were pretty aghast at that one, as none of them are familiar with the source material.

this episode was a bit slower paced, however, as one of my buddies from work actually started nodding off during one the slower parts. i seriously suspect that he's borderline narcoleptic, though, so take that for what it's worth. i thoroughly enjoyed it, and am looking forward to next week. though i doubt it'll happen anytime this week or next, the first encounter between rick and the governor should be quite the conversation...and how about the dixon family reunion? that should be something to see as well.

season 3 continues to rock beyond belief.

my only gripe really with this episode is with michonne and her decision to use chains as restraints for her pets....you'd think that someone as smart and stealthy as her would realize that chains can make quite a bit of noise....some damn strong ropes would've worked just as well. minor complaint, however, and it really doesn't detract from what was a pretty damn good episode.

babomb
29-Oct-2012, 04:42 AM
It was a pretty good episode. Much slower than the last 2. And it wasn't really the aspects of the story that I'm interested to see. So although it was still good, this was my least favorite of the season so far.
I just want to see them all surviving together more. I'm waiting to see them find the armory and put on the riot gear and clean house at the prison.
I know it's only the 3rd ep, but it feels like the introduction of the season is really dragging on. I'd hate for them to spend the majority of the season setting everything up, while the real meat of the season is rushed and packed into the last 7 or 8 episodes.
The Governor is a pretty good character though. I'm glad they made the changes they made to him. Seems alot more realistic than the comic version.
But it's almost like they created the characterization of the Gov. with the idea of getting Liam Neeson to play the role but couldn't secure him. So now they're turning Morrissey into Liam Neeson.

Wyldwraith
29-Oct-2012, 05:35 AM
Wow,
That was a seriously screwed up episode. Not a comic reader (at least of TWD), so I just take the show as I find it. That said, while they've made the Governor seem to have a veneer of civility and a sort of charisma, there's enough undertone that isn't concealed that its easy to see what's setting off Michonne's alarm bells. Kinda bugs me that after 7 months of Michonne carrying her, that Andrea doesn't have more faith in her partner's instincts, though that could be explained (albeit not entirely satisfactory, at least to/for me) by Michonne's secretive and closed-off nature.

Also, not knowing anything about the comics, so this is pure speculation on my part...but mention of the science guy's tea came up a couple times. Having seen what kind of guy the Governor is, I rather suspect that (assuming science guy can manage it) he would in no way hesitate to use some sort of addictive substance laced in the water/drinking materials to provide a further layer of control over the sheep of his little despotic realm. He just seems overly intent on slowing Andrea and Michonne down from leaving, by using the very hammer+anvil approach each time they request their weapons of stating "Ok sure, you can have em just as soon as you're leaving here."

The reason my suspicions were kinda piqued was Merle's very subdued submission to the Governor, and the unquestioning obedience of all these very militant guys, any one of which could turn a gun on him rather than comply with his bloodthirsty demands. It just doesn't track that someone like the Governor could make it through the INITIAL steps of gaining control over such rough and shady characters. Sure, once he's got an initial strike-team I could see other guys (like Merle) choosing to accept him as the "Alpha" rather than oppose an already-entrenched Governor.

In any case, my only SUBSTANTIVE complaint about the episode is a conditional one. Regardless of how Andrea REALLY feels about Woodbury, I could see it being smart to go along and get along for a few days while she recovered her health fully and THEN make a break for it. If Andrea gets truly taken in by this sociopath, especially given Michonne's emphatic misgivings, that would trigger my B.S alarm given how they've portrayed Andrea as so ready/quick to question anyone that attempts to assume authority over her actions. As of this episode I'm reserving judgment, because she COULD very well just be using Woodbury as a (conditionally) safe haven in which to recover before heading back out into the wilds she has good reason to fear. There's just no way to tell as of this episode what Andrea is really, deep down, thinking about all this, and what she intends to do. I just think that if my suspicions about drugging the populace have any substance, that seemingly smart tactic of using Woodbury to recover in could blow up in her face BIG TIME.

After all, there are a variety of pharmaceuticals that AREN'T narcotics and have next to no "active" symptoms....so long as the dosage remains stable. Certain heart medications, and (if one considers non-lethal but debilitating symptoms that would render you unable to survive out in the Walker-controlled territory) mood elevators, certain antidepressant/anti bipolar/anti-psychotic medications. (After all, if your heart rate is hammering away, you're sweating like a pig, frequently vomiting and in the midst of a nearly-suicidal-level emotional crash/depressive episode + having the shakes) you'd basically be as helpless as an unarmed child if you couldn't hold it together long enough to go to ground in a low-profile/easily securable structure such as the one Morgan and his son were occupying. If you factored in needing to go far enough to avoid active human pursuit from Woodbury, someone in that sort of shape would be just as doomed as someone severely physically injured IMO. Most people, having become accustomed to a return to safety, and having natural sheep-like tendencies, wouldn't even have the nerve to try it.

Edit/Update:
Further consideration makes the notion of using tea to mask drug-doping giveaways by taste is rather genius. There are so many types of herbal tea, and so many individual combinations of various herbs to make a given recipe, that even a little experimentation would quickly result in a combo/recipe that would be quite palatable, yet strong/"herbal" enough to keep anyone from getting suspicious if there's a bit of an odd aftertaste. Given that so many mental-health medications come in gelcaps you can take apart and pour out the powdered medicine inside, it wouldn't take a ton of medical knowledge to hammer out the details.

Just a thought. Could just be paranoid musings on my part, but it seems a viable away for such a megalomaniac to hammer home his control. After all, the Governor is so often moving around that he doesn't spend the one on one or one-to-group time with the community members to really seem like he could develop a Koresh-like cult-leader control over the people.

babomb
29-Oct-2012, 09:13 AM
I think that science guy was also pouring cup after cup of tea for Andrea. And when the Gov walks into the "lab", he says "did you finish your assignment" and the science guy says "yeah, but your dog's already eating it".
So whatever they were making, Merle likes it himself.

I like how both groups are learning the same lessons.

MinionZombie
29-Oct-2012, 04:57 PM
My weekly debrief of the episode...

WHAT WE LEARNED:

* As I'd thought, 3x03 focused purely on Andrea, Michonne, The Governor, Merle, and Woodbury. Back at the prison they have safety, shelter, food, medical supplies, and have dealt with the other survivors - they now have time to take a breather - so when you've got a whole bunch of new people and situations to introduce, you're going to require an entire episode to do so.

* The people of Woodbury refer to walkers as "creepers", "biters" and "lurkers".

* Andrea and Michonne didn't know that anyone who dies becomes a walker - Rick only admitted the truth (as told to him by Dr Edwin Jenner in 1x06 "TS-19") after the herd of walkers had besieged the Greene farm, at which point Andrea had been left behind (apparently taken down by walkers as far as Rick & Co are concerned).

* Milton is the town's very own Dr Logan. Seeking to find reason amidst the chaos of the zombie apocalypse, he proffers his thesis regarding Michonne's undead bodyguards. Removed of the ability to eat the flesh of the living (arms and lower jaw severed), walkers will become docile and act as repellant to other geeks.

* Merle seems to be The Governor's head of security, or at least high in those ranks. Losing a hand hasn't stopped him from becoming a sharp shooter with a silenced rifle either. It seems that, near death, he was picked up by their crew in the early days and has been with them since. Maybe he has developed a softer side (Merle seems genuine enough in his condolences to Andrea for the loss of her sister Amy back in the first season), only time will tell. He does seem to have a fractious relationship with Milton, in a relationship that could be referencing the antagonism between Captain Rhodes and Doc Logan in George A. Romero's Day of the Dead - even Milton's lab is reminiscent of the 1985 film.

* Michonne keeps herself to herself, even Andrea - who has been with the katana-wielding icon of the comics for eight months now - doesn't know who the two undead bodyguards were to Michonne.

* Information is key - The Governor uses it to brutal ends, all as a means to scavenge and continue to protect the walls that keep Woodbury locked away from the threat of walkers.

* There's 73 (soon to be 74) residents of Woodbury.

* Milton is a softly spoken and kind-natured man, a man of ideas rather than action. He's also pretty good at making a pot of tea. Judging by the look on his face after The Governor and his security team return with military vehicles and equipment (but no soldiers), Milton has seen this all before, and doesn't agree with it at all - but from a position of relative weakness, he has been forced to accept the situation in exchange for relative safety.

* David Morrissey is going to make for an excellent Governor. The actor was able to bring a richly textured performance - his Governor was charming, pleasant, suspicious, two-faced, talented at lying and disarming performances of politics, brutally ruthless, and - behind those wounded eyes - a tortured soul who was once a decent family man. It's a testament to Morrissey's performance that even with everything you've seen, there's a hint of sympathy for the man who has clearly gone through horrendous experiences (prior to our meeting him) that have created the man before us now. In that final scene there is a sense of hurt and extreme depression, of a man who has tumbled down a rabbit hole and discovered only viciousness at the bottom after a bumpy ride on the way down.

BEST GORE MOMENT:

* Examining the decapitated bodies of Michonne's bodyguards, The Governor boldly inserts his fingers into the half-maw of one of them as its eyes continue to look around. The cliffhanger was also a stunning moment for gore fiends, and the helicopter crash included a bi-sected solider. There was even a shredded-looking walker hung from a tree near the entrance.

BEST TWIST ON THE COMICS:

* The Governor was extremely ruthless and fear-inducing in the comics, his nasty ways seeming more open and on display. However, what we have here is somewhat of a politician - capable of standing before his townsfolk seemingly with his heart on his sleeve and his head bowed in solemnity and easily lying about the true fate of the soldiers he encountered with his security team (all of whom are clearly entrusted with their silence). The Governor's charm however is tempting if you're only getting half the story though - clearly Andrea has found a little slice of heaven and is perhaps falling for the man's easy surface charms (he likewise appears to have an interest in Andrea - might we see a key plot element from the comics change hands?)

THE CLIFFHANGER:

The Governor - whose real name is never revealed - has already been revealed to be ruthless and charming in equal measure, but there is something darker still lurking behind his eyes which hint at a ravaged soul. A naked woman sleeps in his bed, but judging by the picture on his mantle, she's not his wife - and where is the kid in the picture too? Behind a locked door (the key to which is around the man's neck at all times) lies a generator, a lounger chair, and a novel new use for fish tanks. Fans of the comic would have already guessed this shocking reveal was coming (it was one of the most memorable images from the early volumes of Kirkman's comic), but even still, it teases the viewer with dangerous and dark possibilities of what is to come.

I think Merle will have realised that his mouth really cost him with the other group - his blatant racism and antagonistic behaviour, as well as general recklessness, cost him his hand and separated him from his brother, heck, it damn near killed him. Clearly he's had to temper himself greatly, and has perhaps learned to be more of a team player (albeit for a messed up team) ... mind you, I get the slight impression that Merle isn't - at heart - down with some of TG's tactics (e.g. slaughtering the soldiers), despite partaking like the other men. I get the sense that if they could not do such things, they'd very happily lead more peaceful (relatively speaking) lives in this world, but TG is ruthless and their silence has been bought.

I said it above, but I'll say it again, Morrissey did a wonderful job in this episode. Multi-faceted doesn't even do it justice, his character has so many layers, and just the look on his face inside his private room said so much about what's going on in his head - and just with a look on his face. Fantastic. I hope we get plenty of time with The Governor - I think he's going to be a really great villain.

AcesandEights
29-Oct-2012, 05:07 PM
Excellent episode and I'm loving the pace so far!

Wyld, good call on the tea, with it being repeatedly referenced over such a short time frame I agree there may well be something to it.

kidgloves
29-Oct-2012, 05:58 PM
Brilliant episode. Not really sure how anybody could see it as a slow one.
David Morrissey was fantastic. Very subtle performance. Can't wait to see him and Rick in a scene together.
There is definately something going on with that tea. Andrea wants to stay a bit longer after drinking it. I suspect the Governor has got everybody doped up and addicted to some substance. There is no tv anymore (not everybody has one of those shiny new floating head ones) so he has to keep the masses docile somehow. Even Merle seemed subdued and quite sympathetic.

MinionZombie
29-Oct-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm with kidgloves, I don't consider this episode "slow" by any means. It has less action than the first, sure, but that was an unusually high amount (and suitably so considering the goals for our group at that point in time - and for Mazzara & Co to kick off the new season with a ruddy good bang) - there's still plenty of action littered throughout at consistent intervals too, so the pacing is strong. Of course, action isn't the only thing to keep the pace going - if every scene introduces a new character or a new idea or a new setting or a cliffhanger or some fucked up element, then it keeps you hooked. This is one of those episodes, there's so much info to take in (which is why there's no Rick & Co - you'd just not have the time to cut back to the prison, particularly as they'd be putting their feet up for a day or two at this point) - re-introducing Merle alone requires plenty of pages in itself, exploring the town of Woodbury also requires a good number of screen minutes. You've got to set up so many new spinning plates that everything keeps clicking along at a fair old clip. Impressively written.

One niggle I had though - the bushes, behind which Andrea and Michonne are hiding. It wasn't obvious from all shots, but a couple of shots made the bushes look a bit thing and small - if you couldn't see two humans and two "creepers"/"biters" hiding behind that, then you'd have to be blind. In one shot in particular it seemed to suggest that there wasn't enough cover to hide Michonne standing up to take out her two mules ... like I said, not evident from most shots, but in a couple their cover seemed to be a bit sparse. Perhaps it was changing slightly from shot-to-shot to allow the camera to get a good look, or get into position, but yeah - a slight niggle there, but that's where suspension of disbelief comes into it - the important stuff that's going on is TG, Merle, the chopper crash etc, not the bushiness of the bush. :p

Plus - I'm already a fan of Milton. :D

*EDIT*

Oh and have a meme ... could only think of this one at the moment.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Vx3H1w-QwMo/UI7jkgnsjVI/AAAAAAAAA2M/__oGYbiazaA/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_3_Governor_TV_Meme_DeadShe d.jpg

facestabber
30-Oct-2012, 04:49 AM
Another solid episode. This is just flat out good tv. Since most issues have been covered well I have to touch on a pet peeve of mine. Another group of incompetent military personnel. I understand a statement was being made with the brutality of the Gov but this is another DOTD incompetant military. I loved Day but never could stomach the complete undisciplined and unprofessional behavior of the soldiers. I would have been ok with this scene if the Gov's group took a few losses. This military unit has survived long enough to have dealt with wide ranges of human/civilian behavior. I dont think one retaliatory shot was fired and that is just unrealistic.

One thing for sure is the Gov is one heck of a bad guy. I would like to kill him myself.

rgc2005
30-Oct-2012, 05:06 AM
The soldiers the Governor's men slaughtered were what was left of an Aviation unit that had spent the last year behind the wire/walls. They had barely escaped the fall of their own camp with what they had on their backs and in the trucks. Their M4s were missing the top sites and they did not have much in the way of supplies. The pilot left them leaderless, lost and worn out. They were beaten before the first shot.

In hindsight they were "Walker Bait".

krisvds
30-Oct-2012, 05:19 AM
Loved it. One one of the better written episodes to me with less awkward dialogue and slightly off acting than usual.
Morrissey is nailing the governor and that leaves me giddy with anticipation for what's coming up. The structure of having these location specific episodes works for me, and I hope they will do it often this season. It gave us the chance to get to know Woodbury better and helped build up a certain feeling of unease. The feeling that there is something going on behind Woodbury's facade slowly creeping in was well done.
It's something we have seen a thousand times before in tv and film but it was masterfully executed. Classic tv. TWD keeps getting better.

Nitpickers central; have to agree with MZ's bushinessless bush and Facestabber's points about the too easily taken out military personnel. IF the gov's troops are subdued by that tea that makes it even worse. (There's definitely something going on with that tea.) I also think Danai Guirira is laying the silent, cautious samurai thing on a little too thick. Frowning and generally looking really bad ass and angry in every other shot got a bit obvious. Stark contrast with the gleefull and at the same time subtle Governor performance. It's still too early to tell but this episode really did nothing to take away my initial feelings towards Michone... Still small niggles in an overall excellent episode.

Wyldwraith
30-Oct-2012, 02:23 PM
I get what you're saying about the military unit,
Even a practiced-at-envelopement tacticts death squad couldn't time their from all sides barrage as PERFECTLY as they did. Even if they were wild shots as they were hit, at least a couple of the military guys should have gotten a round or two off. After all, we know that fingers often clench down on triggers if said finger was already in the trigger well when someone gets hit. Even some spraying half a clip into the ground as they spun and tumbled to earth would have added realism to the massacre. Will admit that's a minor issue though.

The one I had more problems with in that scene was the improbability that with that dense cluster of vehicles and the Gov's men's need to remain in cover to make the ambush work, only ONE GUY was fortunate enough not to be in a direct field of fire? This is one of those potential-pitfall type events I mentioned earlier. If they're going to portray unit-level clashes, tighten up the camera angles and do a bit of homework on what real modern massacres are like. There's ample material available, from Somalia to Bosnia to Iraq. Yes, I realize the scene was to demonstrate the Governor's methods for the audience, but if you make his atrocities seemingly "too easy" to commit, then it undercuts the sense of how dangerous this man is at the helm of practiced killers.

Glad I'm not the only one whose Paranoia Sense went off about the tea. After more musing, I think the Governor may be going a subtler route than attempted chemical dependence. Instead I'm betting on a mix of mood elevators and some sort of tranquilizer. After all, prior to this year IRL, Xanax was like the #3 most prescribed controlled substance, behind Oxycodone/Oxycontin and Methadone. So with scavenging teams it wouldn't be terribly hard if one worked at it to find a supply of Xanax (sp?). I was thinking along these lines because of how accepting everyone seems to be in Woodbury, to the point of passivity. Plus, there is a significant drawback to using the hard-and-fast chemical dependence method. In a scavenging-based economy, what would be the result if there was a temporary or permanent interruption in finding the necessary drugs? Woodbury could tear itself apart overnight in a mad haze of withdrawal and loss of control.

As someone who has experienced HARDCORE withdrawal (in my case from Oxycodone), I can tell you that you reach a point (and I don't expect anyone here who hasn't gone through it to believe this) where the pain and sick feeling, the "OMG why am I not dying faster so this agony can be OVER!?!?" feeling, that shortly after you hit that point if the Devil himself were to appear in a cloud of brimstone with a bottle of your drug of dependence you'd be hurrying his speaking along to get to the signing your soul away to get that bottle. You'd betray the trust of family and friends, rob loved ones, lash out at ANYONE, just to make it stop.

I don't think someone as controlling as the Governor would risk being put in a position where his few clearheaded killers would need to massacre their worker-bee Woodbury populace if something like that happened, so as I said I'm leaning towards believing its a subtler doping of the tea.

rgc2005
30-Oct-2012, 03:03 PM
I just listened to an interview with the writer of this episode. She claims the Tea bit is a jab at one of the writers. Supposedly it is just an inside joke. However, if the Tea is really laced then why is the Governor drinking the stuff?
After spending a few days attempting to defend what the military survivors did at the ambush I have changed my mind....
The show desperately needs a good Military Consultant.
When shows attempt to include military and law enforcement and make only a half-assed attempt to portray tactics, uniforms, equipment it distracts me from the story and pierces the bubble of disbelief.
That M2 .50 Cal machine gun mounted on the back of the soft shell HMMV will rip off and collapse after one round. It is bolted to the canvas top frame which is hollow tube and is barely holding the weight of the gun empty. I find that slapped together HMMV more irritating than a British tank in downtown Atlanta. I can hear the prop guys now saying "Nobody will notice" but we do and by not paying attention to the little things they irritate their strongest demographic and slowly erode the feel of the show.

I know they cannot afford Dale Dye but they are filming in west Georgia. That area has the largest concentration of military retirees in the USA. I am sure they can find a retired Sergeant Major to at least help the actors correct their weapons handling, appearance, terminology, etc... Using Vietnam era equipment like the Huey is OK just explain why once and move on.

Mazzarra, Please just get this stuff right or don't do it.

bassman
30-Oct-2012, 05:06 PM
I just listened to an interview with the writer of this episode. She claims the Tea bit is a jab at one of the writers. Supposedly it is just an inside joke. However, if the Tea is really laced then why is the Governor drinking the stuff?

Producer David Alpert said the same thing on Talking Dead. The show did seem to focus on it quite a bit, but it appears to just be an inside joke. Kinda like The Governor's wife in the family picture being producer Denise Huth.

As for the military consultant.....I don't care. Most people will never notice. Seems like a silly thing to get hung up on, if you ask me.

A funny clip from Episode 304:

kIFVJy19rAo

shootemindehead
30-Oct-2012, 05:32 PM
Was the tea really focused on that much? I can recall only one scene, which was the Gov going down to talk to the Dr Logan type character, in the 'Day of the Dead' homage.

I agree with the military wipeout being a tad unrealistic. Even weekend warriors wouldn't have been whacked that easily. But I'll be willing to overlook it because the rest of the episode was very good overall.

MinionZombie
30-Oct-2012, 06:59 PM
Producer David Alpert said the same thing on Talking Dead. The show did seem to focus on it quite a bit, but it appears to just be an inside joke. Kinda like The Governor's wife in the family picture being producer Denise Huth.

As for the military consultant.....I don't care. Most people will never notice. Seems like a silly thing to get hung up on, if you ask me.

A funny clip from Episode 304:

kIFVJy19rAo

A funny clip indeed (another clip shows a lot of drama is coming, so we should be getting an interesting blend there - I know you've seen spoilers, Bassman, which is a damn shame, but don't even speak of the Defcon-level scope of the spoilers - seal your lips, my good man! :lol:)

I dig that they're tossing in a little of the fun stuff too - in the comics they have the 'Glenn & Maggie are really horny' subplot, which was a nice counterpoint to all the grim goings on. You do need a bit of levity now and then to spice things up and keep the peaks and troughs going.

Regarding the military stuff, aye, only those in-the-know would notice (I didn't spot anything in terms of technicalities or anything - but I'm a laymen when it comes to that stuff, as I'm sure are the most of the viewing audience). Essentially it's one scene in the entire episode - you're not going to really bother (or even afford) an advisor for that one thing. Getting the tech just right might also go beyond your budget too. There's limits to what can be done, you just have to not let things like that take over the show for you - to fixate or become overly bothered by small side details will just hurt your experience of the rest of the show, and it's a spiffing show. :)

Reminds me, in a way, of working on a short film years ago for a 'local tv' project. Folk living locally could get involved in making 90 second short films, and I was making some of these films, and one of the producers of this series got incredibly fixated on a fucking TEA TOWEL in the background of one shot. He said it looked messy, and I hadn't even spotted it - but as I said to him, we're viewing this under a microscope, whereas the first-time-viewer won't see it at all. Long story short, the short film was never aired - no doubt because of that fucking tea towel that he got so hung up about. :rolleyes:

Was the tea really focused on that much? I can recall only one scene, which was the Gov going down to talk to the Dr Logan type character, in the 'Day of the Dead' homage.

I agree with the military wipeout being a tad unrealistic. Even weekend warriors wouldn't have been whacked that easily. But I'll be willing to overlook it because the rest of the episode was very good overall.

The scene where TG, Andrea, Michonne, and Milton eat breakfast, features a lot of hot tea action - phwoar! There is mention of the tea verbally, but also a lot of shots of Milton seemingly guzzling it like it was going out of fashion. I swear he refills himself like three times or more with that weird 'pours from the bottom' tea pot thingy ... I'd imagine that the frequency of tea is a furtherance of the in-joke, but it's a nice character 'thing' for Milton, I think. It certainly sets him up as being a bit more cultured/kind-natured than TG or anyone else.

kidgloves
30-Oct-2012, 07:18 PM
After spending a few days attempting to defend what the military survivors did at the ambush I have changed my mind....
The show desperately needs a good Military Consultant.
When shows attempt to include military and law enforcement and make only a half-assed attempt to portray tactics, uniforms, equipment it distracts me from the story and pierces the bubble of disbelief.
That M2 .50 Cal machine gun mounted on the back of the soft shell HMMV will rip off and collapse after one round. It is bolted to the canvas top frame which is hollow tube and is barely holding the weight of the gun empty. I find that slapped together HMMV more irritating than a British tank in downtown Atlanta. I can hear the prop guys now saying "Nobody will notice" but we do and by not paying attention to the little things they irritate their strongest demographic and slowly erode the feel of the show.

I know they cannot afford Dale Dye but they are filming in west Georgia. That area has the largest concentration of military retirees in the USA. I am sure they can find a retired Sergeant Major to at least help the actors correct their weapons handling, appearance, terminology, etc... Using Vietnam era equipment like the Huey is OK just explain why once and move on.

Mazzarra, Please just get this stuff right or don't do it.

Care to share this interview with the fine folks here?

babomb
30-Oct-2012, 07:23 PM
The military consultant thing? I could see if the story were following a group of trained pros through a series of building clearing operations or something heavily military.
But I personally never noticed a machine gun bolted to canvas. And the scene where the military unit gets taken out by the Gov and his men, the point of that scene is to show how brutal the Gov is. And it accomplishes that wonderfully. To get caught up in technical military aspects of 10 second scenes would impact the production way too much. Budget wise, and would throw the pace off if they had to include dialog in scenes just to explain why certain objects are in the scene. We haven't really seen any pre-dominant military scenes where the terminology comes into focus.
The vast majority of the audience pays no attention to these things.

shootemindehead
30-Oct-2012, 09:30 PM
The scene where TG, Andrea, Michonne, and Milton eat breakfast, features a lot of hot tea action - phwoar! There is mention of the tea verbally, but also a lot of shots of Milton seemingly guzzling it like it was going out of fashion. I swear he refills himself like three times or more with that weird 'pours from the bottom' tea pot thingy ... I'd imagine that the frequency of tea is a furtherance of the in-joke, but it's a nice character 'thing' for Milton, I think. It certainly sets him up as being a bit more cultured/kind-natured than TG or anyone else.

Um...I dunno, maybe it's because I drink tea by the gallon, that I didn't pick up on it too much. I've a cup in front of me now! I did find it somewhat odd that they tea drinkers though, but I imagined that there wasn't a lot of coffee going around. I would imagine that America's fave beverage would be harder to grow.

rongravy
30-Oct-2012, 10:11 PM
In regards to the episode 4 clip: I find it hard to believe Maggie would be in the mood to get it on while Dad is barely hanging in there, on his last leg so to speak.
Glen, sure, but Maggie I doubt.

ProfessorChaos
30-Oct-2012, 10:19 PM
while the tea theory is interesting, i find it a bit unlikely, and nothing from that scene seemed odd or out of place to me....and yeah, the governor was drinking it, so unless he's willing to put the same stuff in his body, it's a slim chance there's anything going on behind the scenes with it.

and after re-watching the scene with the military ambush, it is a bit implausible that they'd get wiped out without firing a single shot, but they were all kinda having a joyous moment upon hearing that their lieutenant was alive and safe and had let their collective guard down. i didn't pay too close attention, but it seemed like they were all a bit young and the highest ranking dude was a corporal, which is an e-4, a rank that can be picked up in less than two years.

EvilNed
30-Oct-2012, 10:52 PM
Good episode. I can't wait for that town to get overrun with zombies at the end of the season.

Write Michone out of the show as soon as possible. Horrible character. Good thing she has few lines and scene presence.

bassman
30-Oct-2012, 11:02 PM
Write Michone out of the show as soon as possible. Horrible character. Good thing she has few lines and scene presence.

After only one full episode with her? Seriously, man?....

shootemindehead
31-Oct-2012, 12:29 AM
I think she's doing OK. Sure, the katana thing is a wretched idea, but no more than the zombie super smell rubbish.

rightwing401
31-Oct-2012, 02:49 AM
Yeah, it was a very awsome introduction of the the Governor. My wife and I really liked how he came off as a very charismatic and compassionate leader. My old lady's never read the comics, but even she said at the first commercial after his introduction that there was something off about him. And that was certainly rammed home after the last scene of the episode.

We both also liked the return of Merle. Much to both of our suprise, he seemed a far bit more docile than we had been expecting. We had a good long discussion about why this seems to be the case, mainly it being that 1. He's now in a situation where he's no longer the Alpha dog (really, who beyond Shane would have challenged him head on in the story leading up to the 'Guts' episode) 2. He seems to have a mixture of fear and respect for who the Governor is and what he is capable of doing, and that he likely was part of the group that saved Merle's life 3. He has to play nice or else he'll be at best kicked out of Woodbury.

What we both found interesting was the subtle things about him that were shown in this episode. The first being that he did seem genuinely sympathetic to Andrea for the loss of Amy, probably because he believes Darryl's dead at this time and he may have developed a little bit more respect for life given his own close brush with death. The other was that he did seem somewhat disgusted, or at the very least slightly remorseful, about having just murdered the group of unsuspecting guardsmen.

Honestly, I always thought that there was just a little bit more humanity in Merle than was allowed to be developed since he was only really in two episodes (excluding the phantasm of him in season two). Think about it for just a moment when they were on the rooftop, he did racially insult T-Dog and did beat the living crap out of him, but if you look at his face when he has the gun pointed at T-Dog and looks around at everyone else watching him like he's almost a wild animal, he grimace goes away a bit and he stops himself from pulling the trigger. Which, given the fact that he's a hardcore bigot who's now in a world where there are no real consequences for what he does, he could have easily killed T-Dog. Instead he spares his life, (grated he does hock a loogey on his shirt and rubs it in for good measure, likely an action to justify to himself that T-Dog was beneath him and didn't warrent killing-thus preserving his bigot concious).

We'll see how this turns out. But my wife and I do agree that it would certainly be one hell of a twist to have Merle help Michonne and Andrea escape the Governor, since most fans, including us, automatically assumed Merle would be one of the main bad guys in Season 3.

rongravy
31-Oct-2012, 03:07 AM
But my wife and I do agree that it would certainly be one hell of a twist to have Merle help Michonne and Andrea escape the Governor, since most fans, including us, automatically assumed Merle would be one of the main bad guys in Season 3.
I thought the same thing. I even had a Darth Vader style daydream where he, at the last moment, grabs the Governor in a bear hug and bellows, "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
And throws him down into a pit with hungry zombehs.

Also:
Maybe Merle was more sympathetic with Andrea because she was white. Maybe if T Dog would've been in the same situation, and told Merle his brother had been bit, maybe, just maybe he wouldn't have given a rat's ass.
But, then again, maybe Merle's just a big old softie. Who knows?

EvilNed
31-Oct-2012, 06:15 AM
After only one full episode with her? Seriously, man?....

Yes. The sooner the better.

kidgloves
31-Oct-2012, 07:46 AM
Don't forget the only time we've seen Merle before he's been coked out of his mind.

ProfessorChaos
31-Oct-2012, 11:08 AM
he was also rolling with lots of heisenberg's blue sky....:D

babomb
31-Oct-2012, 11:51 AM
I wonder what it was then that Merle and Milton were working on in the lab? Whatever it was, Merle was helping himself to it. It was their "assignment". And Milton says that "your dog is already eating it".

MinionZombie
31-Oct-2012, 12:25 PM
I wonder what it was then that Merle and Milton were working on in the lab? Whatever it was, Merle was helping himself to it. It was their "assignment". And Milton says that "your dog is already eating it".

Maybe they're experimenting with feeding the walkers beef treats? Perhaps Merle doesn't half mind a can of it. :sneaky:

bassman
31-Oct-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the "dog is eating my homework" jab was just picking on Merle because he was getting on Milton's nerves. The assignment was the study of Michonne's pets. Milton also then mentions that Merle was about to light a cigarette, which is a problem for any lab.

So yeah, I don't think it was any hidden agenda. Just the two characters taking jabs at each other and The Governor puts them in their place.

Evilned - Unless they really change it up from the comics, you'd better get used to her. It seems a bit premature to completely hate the character after only one episode, imo. It took nearly two seasons to set up the other characters. Hell, most people hated Daryl Dixon in the first season and now he's a fan favorite.

MinionZombie
31-Oct-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm with bassman, I remember the groans about Merle and Daryl when they were first introduced, them both written off as one-dimensional redneck stereotypes who were potentially a total danger to the group (Daryl's their guardian angel now). Merle's become a love-to-hate-him legend, and Daryl is utterly indispensible with the fanbase now - he's awesome.

I do agree that Michonne is over-doing the scowling a bit - it's not exactly subtle. When you're weaponless, you'd be wanting to not give away anything, even via facial expressions, regarding your attitude to your new surroundings that are controlled by dozens of other people - total stranges who could be horrible people for all you know. A blanker expression would be more suitable perhaps.

She does feel like comics Michonne in terms of directness though. Michonne often had a scowl on generally as a default setting too (she's very quiet and serious in the comic).

facestabber
31-Oct-2012, 04:31 PM
Even though I spoke early about my dislike of another military incompetance scene in a zombie film. I will absolutely give this show a pass. An advisor would still be a good investment not just on military aspects but on weapon handling in general. I can shoot really good but when I think of scene's like when the prison yard was taken I have to cringe. Head shots on moving targets from a tower with a handgun or through a fence......well its just a tad much. But this is the best television I've ever enjoyed. I believe they have done an amazing job at developing characters. I care much more about this group than our survivors at the Monroeville mall. Heck I hate the Gov, in one episode, more than the antogonist bikers from Dawn.

I really think this series has be come the creme of the crop as far as zombies go. I cant imagine sitting in a theater again and enjoying the zombie apocolypse as its being presented here.

Andy
31-Oct-2012, 06:12 PM
I Gotta admit, when i first saw the governor would be played by some David Morrissey, i thought it was a really lame choice because im so familiar with the governor from the comics and novel so i thought, as an actor, he has not got the look or personality to pull this off.. so i went into episode 3 with the bar set pretty low and a expectation for disappointment.

Boy was i wrong! the guy is brilliant as the governor, he nailed it so perfectly! i was surprised and really really enjoyed the episode. i cannot wait to see more of this!!

Ragnarr
31-Oct-2012, 10:12 PM
Even though I spoke early about my dislike of another military incompetance scene in a zombie film. I will absolutely give this show a pass. An advisor would still be a good investment not just on military aspects but on weapon handling in general. I can shoot really good but when I think of scene's like when the prison yard was taken I have to cringe. Head shots on moving targets from a tower with a handgun or through a fence......well its just a tad much. But this is the best television I've ever enjoyed. I believe they have done an amazing job at developing characters. I care much more about this group than our survivors at the Monroeville mall. Heck I hate the Gov, in one episode, more than the antogonist bikers from Dawn.

I really think this series has be come the creme of the crop as far as zombies go. I cant imagine sitting in a theater again and enjoying the zombie apocolypse as its being presented here.

Agreeing with facestabber. A trained military unit that has survived at least as long as the show's main characters would not so easily be outmaneuvered/outflanked by citizen miltia I'd think. With the sound of the first round being fired they'd all hit the deck or otherwise take cover, not just stand there to be slaughtered.

Also agreeing that the Anne Oakley pistol shots from the prison tower was a stretch... a long long stretch.

@MinionZombie: Michonne's skowl is just her normal facial expression much like my current girlfriend's face and also my ex-wife's. :rockbrow:

Wyldwraith
01-Nov-2012, 01:38 AM
Just an aside from a non-comic reader of that version of TWD:
Sometimes I feel fortunate I never happened upon the comics before TWD made it to the TV screen. Which is weird for me to say, because regarding movies based on books I'm a confirmed "Read the book before you watch the movie" kind of guy 99.9% of the time. However, it just seems like the comparison/contrast of episodes between their comic issue equivalents becomes as much a focus of attention for the comic readers as what actually happens onscreen.

I can totally get the noting differences between the comics and episodes, but the desire to have the show be as close a direct media transfer as possible just seems (to me, which is a bias of my own admittedly) rather confining. Now if one can evaluate a deviation from comics canon in the show for what it is, and judge it based on its own merits or lack thereof all well and good. I got to thinking about this because unlike a 2hour 1-shot movie, a TV show is a much more organic medium that often grows FAR beyond its source material. (Example: Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Not pointing it out for its quality, just how radically different it grew than the very shallow movie it was based on.)

It would seem, from my outsider's perspective that comic fans would want the best of both worlds. Beloved character depictions and unique/pivotal events in the story they cherished in its comic media, and the ability to be surprised and thus retaining the pleasure of being able to speculate as to future events. That seems to be how many people view TWD show, I just find it remarkable because I don't understand the view when it comes to the more rigid comparisons of TV episode to comic material, as if the comic was the "One True Way" so to speak.

The third season so far has been incredible as to how they've managed to pack so much detail and nuance into such swiftly paced material. I was very on the fence when it came to the idea of alternating between mainly focusing on Michonne/Andrea Vs. mainly focusing on Rick and Co. at the prison, but its a gamble that seems to be paying off in a big way so far. I just hope that the pacing remains equivalent in both environments, because Woodbury is positively LITTERED with Season 2 Farm-like momentum-slowing potential. For instance, if they were to keep up the Governor's mysterious forays out of Woodbury to do his dirty deeds and then come home and sell his masses his version of events, there would be a great (possible) temptation for writers to want to expand upon (and thus lengthen) the process of Andrea and to a lesser extent Michonne discovering the "True Governor" and acting accordingly.

As much as the drawn out hesitance in the shots of Rick & Lori talking (or rather Lori talking and Rick standing there doing his Spock impersonation) about their relationship has become something of an irritant, if they pace matters too much on the slow side when it comes to pivotal characters discovering what lays beneath the Governor's rice-paper thin facade of gentility it could be a disaster IMHO. Like everyone else I think, I'm hoping it isn't Mid Season 4 before things come to a head between Rick's group and Woodbury.

Just some overall musing after a third viewing of this episode. As always, the mileage of others will of course vary.

Edit/Note: When I say I hope things come to a head between Rick & Co. Vs. The Governor and Co. prior to mid-season 4, I'm not speaking of a RESOLUTION of the conflict between them, but rather the conflict being joined/beginning. I realized after I posted that my prior statement didn't clearly communicate what I was trying to say. Of course such a major conflict is deserving of the time/# of episodes required for it to possess the depth/quality we're all hoping for, I just don't want to be on Episode 3 or 4 of Season *4* and not have both groups well aware of what they're each all about.

bassman
01-Nov-2012, 02:03 AM
The Wyld man returns!

Wait.....what was that about?

EvilNed
01-Nov-2012, 07:41 AM
Evilned - Unless they really change it up from the comics, you'd better get used to her. It seems a bit premature to completely hate the character after only one episode, imo. It took nearly two seasons to set up the other characters. Hell, most people hated Daryl Dixon in the first season and now he's a fan favorite.

How can it be premature to hate something that bugs the hell out of you?

As I said, I hope she gets killed off. Soon.

MinionZombie
01-Nov-2012, 11:08 AM
The third season so far has been incredible as to how they've managed to pack so much detail and nuance into such swiftly paced material. I was very on the fence when it came to the idea of alternating between mainly focusing on Michonne/Andrea Vs. mainly focusing on Rick and Co. at the prison, but its a gamble that seems to be paying off in a big way so far. I just hope that the pacing remains equivalent in both environments, because Woodbury is positively LITTERED with Season 2 Farm-like momentum-slowing potential. For instance, if they were to keep up the Governor's mysterious forays out of Woodbury to do his dirty deeds and then come home and sell his masses his version of events, there would be a great (possible) temptation for writers to want to expand upon (and thus lengthen) the process of Andrea and to a lesser extent Michonne discovering the "True Governor" and acting accordingly.

As much as the drawn out hesitance in the shots of Rick & Lori talking (or rather Lori talking and Rick standing there doing his Spock impersonation) about their relationship has become something of an irritant, if they pace matters too much on the slow side when it comes to pivotal characters discovering what lays beneath the Governor's rice-paper thin facade of gentility it could be a disaster IMHO. Like everyone else I think, I'm hoping it isn't Mid Season 4 before things come to a head between Rick's group and Woodbury.

I keep up to date with the trade paperbacks (six issues of the monthly comic in one book), and while vol.17 is yet to come out (which includes issue 100 of the comics), I'm very much enjoying viewing these two versions of the material side-by-side on parallel lines, if you will. The show does surprise me in many ways - events change entirely, or come at totally different times, or are ascribed to different characters, while the general thrust is in the same direction. Andrea and Michonne were never paired off in the comics to encounter Woodbury first and alone together - so that in itself is a totally new dynamic that the showrunners have put in there, and as a reader of the trade paperbacks, it leaves so many options open. You hit a bunch of the same beats, but not necessarily in the same order or in the same way - and I love that - Shane shooting Otis was never in the comics (heck, Shane was dead in issue #6, and the evolution of the love triangle and the bro-down between Rick & Shane was far more satisfying on the show), Dale wasn't killed on the farm, etc, so big shocks are still afforded.

Naturally I knew that Shane was for the chop, I knew that from day one, but it was the journey there that was satisfying. I always knew that by the end of season two he'd be killed off, but it was what happened in getting there that was interesting (especially as the journey was much longer than in the comics). I'm glad they make many departures from the comics in terms of content, while following the main path generally. I get the best of both worlds. :)

In terms of pace, I agree, I've been amazing by how much they've crammed into these three episodes. While the first episode was light on character introspection, you wouldn't expect to have much of that because of the goals that need to be achieved up front - namely, the processes involved in taking the prison and dealing with new-found survivors. But blimey, the sheer speed of the episodes was a great example of writing - everything drove it forward. Excellent stuff.

I have faith in Mazzara - particularly after all the bitching that the front-seven of season two received regarding pace (yeah, it was a bit slow paced, and the search for Sophia was dragged out too much ... perhaps if they'd been able to have her go missing later into the episodes ... I don't know, because 2x07 had to have the reveal of her in the barn as a mid-season finale gut punch). I don't think Mazzara will allow the show to slow down - he's said numerous times that the pace we've so far seen continues througout the season. You do need episodes that focus more on slower moments too, you can't always be going hell-for-leather (it wouldn't be realistic either), and we should remember also that these are parallel lines of plotting - they're happening simultaneously - so when we cut back to the prison in episode four, if we see nothing of Woodbury, then it's happening at the same time ... or perhaps not yet ... but maybe in future episodes if we get 'exclusive episodes' which don't feature one or t'other groups (by which I mean, it expands time across more episodes, but in-world time is shown twice in two locations ... if that makes sense).

The front-seven of season 2 was over a mere seven days, but because it was shown over seven weeks in our time, it dragged much more in the slower pacing department. When watched in quick succession at your own personal pace, it doesn't drag anywhere near as much as it was perceived to. That doesn't excuse the just-a-bit-too-slow pacing of those episodes, but it is interesting how show time versus our time can change perceptions.

bassman
01-Nov-2012, 11:42 AM
How can it be premature to hate something that bugs the hell out of you?

As I said, I hope she gets killed off. Soon.

It seems premature to me because of exactly what I said in my previous post - the character has really only been in one episode. And she basically didn't talk in that episode. Give them more time to flesh out the character and your opinion will likely change.

Let me ask you this - do you read the comics? I've noticed around the net that non-comic fans are generally not pleased with the character because, as they claim, "she's a super ninja". Fans of the comic know that there is much more to the character than that, so we know great things are in store for Michonne.

EvilNed
01-Nov-2012, 07:52 PM
No, I did not read the comic, and sorry for sounding arrogant, but neither am I judging it...

With your argument, one would never be able to voice one's opinion about characters in films, because they "don't have enough screen time to form a valid opinion" and all opinions would be premature.

I feel that we've had enough screentime of her to make our minds about her. Sorry to see you disagree.

bassman
02-Nov-2012, 11:50 AM
I didn't think you were being arrogant. Just stating my opinion based on yours.

I would agree with you if this were a film, but it's not. It's a long running TV series. With 16 episodes, this season alone will run roughly 720 minutes, whereas a film is about 90.

EvilNed
02-Nov-2012, 01:37 PM
But in a film, by this point, I would have received enough screentime to judge her character. So for me, I don't see the problem.

babomb
03-Nov-2012, 01:50 AM
I'm on the fence as far as Michonne is concerned. Only because they haven't given us much to work with yet in order to form a real opinion on the character.

krisvds
03-Nov-2012, 06:20 AM
I've noticed around the net that non-comic fans are generally not pleased with the character because, as they claim, "she's a super ninja". Fans of the comic know that there is much more to the character than that, so we know great things are in store for Michonne.

Well, having read all the comics up to issue 86 I can say you are right about there being more in store for Michonne than just the samurai side of her character.
However, seeing as how the tv series can be very different from the comic and a certain new found focus on more action and faster pacing I am too still on that fence. I really hope they give her a lot more to do in future episodes than play the cool silent samurai chick. The decapitating coolness was a bit silly in the comic as well and at times felt out of place. For me at least ...

babomb
03-Nov-2012, 05:55 PM
Well, having read all the comics up to issue 86 I can say you are right about there being more in store for Michonne than just the samurai side of her character.
However, seeing as how the tv series can be very different from the comic and a certain new found focus on more action and faster pacing I am too still on that fence. I really hope they give her a lot more to do in future episodes than play the cool silent samurai chick. The decapitating coolness was a bit silly in the comic as well and at times felt out of place. For me at least ... I agree with this completely. There's some things I think they're dropping the ball on here.
For 1, Michonne is supposed to be this hardcore survivor that knows how to thrive in this new world. Yet, she does stupid things like stab her sword through the chests of 2 walkers, which she would know very well has no effect. She knows enough about walkers to use 2 of them for protection, but doesn't know that no matter how someone dies they come back as a walker?
They're creating her character based around cheap thrills like double decapitations and sword play. But at the same time trying to make her this silent, wounded warrior type that talks like Cobra Commander.
"You had a gun on usssssss"-----I hope she doesn't draw those S' out all the time. That'll make me hate her.

MinionZombie
03-Nov-2012, 06:45 PM
I always took it that the skewering of the two zeds was to halt their pace, so she could push them back a touch and pause them, so that she could take the appropriate swing (otherwise with them still advancing in such close quarters, she might have come a cropper).

As for not knowing that someone who dies of non-bite circumstances still comes back as a walker, that's entirely plausible. They might have steering clear of all humans in their eight months out there (entirely possible), and even if they did encounter some humans, what's the likelihood that they would have not only seen one die of non-bite circumstances, but been around long enough to watch them come back to life?

kidgloves
03-Nov-2012, 08:24 PM
After watching this episode yet again, did anyone else notice the strange way Laurie Holden was walking when they first go out into the night at Woodbury? Apparently she hurt her back and they had to rewrite Michonnes and her parts accordingly in the 1st 2 episodes.

babomb
03-Nov-2012, 09:40 PM
I always took it that the skewering of the two zeds was to halt their pace, so she could push them back a touch and pause them, so that she could take the appropriate swing (otherwise with them still advancing in such close quarters, she might have come a cropper).

As for not knowing that someone who dies of non-bite circumstances still comes back as a walker, that's entirely plausible. They might have steering clear of all humans in their eight months out there (entirely possible), and even if they did encounter some humans, what's the likelihood that they would have not only seen one die of non-bite circumstances, but been around long enough to watch them come back to life? My logic behind her stabbing them in the chest was not only that it's not effective at killing them, but that it also adds wear to the blade. Seems like if she's as good with that katana as she is, she would also understand its limitations and make an effort to preserve its integrity. It is her primary weapon after all. If your primary weapon were a shotgun you wouldn't use it as a baseball bat on walkers unless it was your last resort.
Her katana is not indestructible, and the more rigid surfaces like a breast plate she plunges it into the lower its lifespan will be.

I did consider the idea that Michonne may not have had the opportunity to see someone die of non-bites and come back. But it seems likely that she would've. She has an extensive backstory in this world, which is why she can thrive in that environment. She's obviously been in a situation that made her aware that keeping pet walkers offers a certain amount of protection, and that when you remove their ability to feed it kills their desire to.
While it is completely plausible that she just never observed that to be the case, it just seems very likely that she would have.

Wyldwraith
04-Nov-2012, 02:09 AM
I agree it's odd how surprised so many of TWD characters are to find that it doesn't take a bite to reanimate,
That said, one would assume a character like Michonne would, if forced into a life-or-death conflict, finish her business and evac from the area before more Walkers arrive to investigate the ruckus caused by said conflict. Even with her "Pet Zeds" to serve as repellent, to survive to the extent she has she's had to have become like those elusive huge-racked older bucks. They KNOW when hunting season is, and will become elusive ghosts until its over. Same principle at work.

Michonne's survival is evidence she has what it takes to go it alone for an extended period in a Walker-infested America. Since she's only human, however skilled, the only logical conclusion is that she's honed her ability to choose her battles, and perhaps more importantly, choose when NOT to fight, beyond even her skill with her famed katana.

A note on the chest stabs via katana. If Michonne is TRULY a master of the weapon, she could conceivably bypass the sternum and strike the Xyphoid process just beneath it. The Xyphoid is composed of cartilage, and while denser then say the nose, is no more durable per equivalent thickness. Not saying that's what Michonne IS doing, just offering up a possible explanation for that particular scene. Sometime during her wanderings it seems like developing a "stop-thrust" effective against an enemy without a self-preservation instinct or capacity to feel pain would almost have been a prerequisite to Michonne surviving this long. Just look how often other prepared, aware, nerves-on-edge survivors have nevertheless ended up in an unwilling clinch with a Walker. See what I mean?

Otherwise, I completely agree that Michonne's use of her katana should be MUCH more judicious. Reserved for those situations requiring speed, precision AND violence of action. For "everyday" elimination of single or paired Walkers it would make much more sense to employ a sturdier bludgeon or even a Machete, and reserve the katana for when things get thick. However, Michonne is by nature a "trenchcoat character" so she either has to be afforded more suspension of disbelief than usual, or she could quickly come to grate on a certain kind of viewer's nerves. Since all indications point towards her being a long-running character, personally I'm trying to muster that extra suspension of disbelief....because yes, I CRINGE when I see heads lopped off via katana as if the wielder were instead using a lightsaber.

Andy
04-Nov-2012, 02:27 AM
Obviously talking more about the comics than the TV series here but michonne is not supposed to be a master ninja or anything..

I cant remember becuase she first appears in volume 3 i think and its been that long since i read it but im certain shes supposed to just be a hobbyist and a fencer who has just been forced to improve her skills since the zombocalypse.

Moon Knight
04-Nov-2012, 06:30 AM
Obviously talking more about the comics than the TV series here but michonne is not supposed to be a master ninja or anything..

I cant remember becuase she first appears in volume 3 i think and its been that long since i read it but im certain shes supposed to just be a hobbyist and a fencer who has just been forced to improve her skills since the zombocalypse.

Correct, sir.

Tricky
04-Nov-2012, 03:07 PM
Great episode but as others have said, the military guys got taken down way too easily in that ambush! In reality the governer would have been taken down by one of the others as soon as he fired the first shot. Also why kill them? I'd have thought they would have been useful to Woodbury, but then again I suppose the governers command would have been removed straight away if the army moved in.

paranoid101
04-Nov-2012, 03:38 PM
Great episode loving the 3rd season, hate having to wait till Friday to come this forum, but its either that or I sleep downstairs If I watch it early without my better half lol.

rongravy
04-Nov-2012, 07:07 PM
Also why kill them? I'd have thought they would have been useful to Woodbury, but then again I suppose the governers command would have been removed straight away if the army moved in.

Truth is/was: he didn't want the community to be too much of a sausagefest.
I'd prefer a taco fiesta myself...