View Full Version : Disney to acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion

tkane18
30-Oct-2012, 08:49 PM
CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday that it has entered into a deal to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd., the owner of the "Star Wars" franchise, from founder George Lucas for $4.05 billion in cash and stock. Disney will pay half the purchase price in cash and issue about 40 million shares when the transaction closes. The final price will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments. Disney's move marks its first major acquisition since it bought Marvel Entertainment in 2009 for $4.24 billion. In addition to the box-office revenues it can realize from future "Star Wars" theatrical films, Disney will be able to utilize its consumer products arm to develop and market "Star Wars"-related merchandise. The company already features "Star Wars" content at its theme parks in Anaheim, Calif., Orlando, Fla., Paris and Tokyo.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/disney-to-acquire-lucasfilm-for-405-billion-2012-10-30

EvilNed
30-Oct-2012, 09:33 PM
... More star wars films?

lgI2ZQVyrBo

CoinReturn
30-Oct-2012, 09:34 PM
You forgot the most important bits!:

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney’s global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

Episode 7 in 2015 with new Star Wars films every two years. George also taking a backsteat role is huge too, they may actually turn out to be decent.

EvilNed
30-Oct-2012, 09:42 PM
w2V_ZVhgHzI

rongravy
30-Oct-2012, 10:14 PM
So are they still going to release 2-6 in 3D? WTF up with that?!?

When my kid told me about this, I totally did not believe it.
Wow, just wow.

ProfessorChaos
30-Oct-2012, 10:28 PM
my nephew is huge star wars fan, and we have a lot of fun playing lego star wars on the xbox when he comes over....but that franchise has been dead for years, and this is only gonna drive it further in the ground.

wonder if these films will follow han and leia's children? seems like i've got a giant illustrated book about star wars that discusses a planned third trilogy covering the re-birth of the empire and new jedi taking it down...again.

meh.

Rancid Carcass
30-Oct-2012, 11:18 PM
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy236/cattletech/bh.jpg

:D

shootemindehead
31-Oct-2012, 12:31 AM
YES THEY ARE!

Go BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Clean
31-Oct-2012, 07:43 AM
I can't believe Lucas sold out....not to mention for only 4 Billion.

shootemindehead
31-Oct-2012, 12:36 PM
I think after the failure of 'Red Tails', he's cutting his losses. He's right too. He's a pretty terrible film maker. Bar 'THX-1138', 'American Graffiti' and 'Star Wars', the films he's directed have been woeful.

He's at his best when collaborating with better people and taking a back seat. I'll always love the early stuff and the original Star Wars trilogy, but Lucas has just so lost his way, there's no coming back for him. Gary Kurtz called it perfectly when he said that in 1981, he figured out that Lucas no longer cared about the story and was more interested in selling toys.

The problem now is that Disney will push Star Wars into the ground and destroy it completely.

krisvds
01-Nov-2012, 06:54 AM
First reaction: raise eyebrows.
Second: shrugs.

As a kid I was a huge star wars fan. I could even forgive ROTJ for the silly Ewoks. Then I grew up. The prequels happened.
Listen Disney, all I want is lovinly restored versions of the original theatrical versions of the original trilogy on Blu and you guys can make trillions of space credits from that and the stupid sequels, dodgy CGI tv series and bad bad videogames.

And if they bring back Indiana Jones with a different actor I swear I'm bringing the flamethrower to the house of mouse.

Mr. Clean
01-Nov-2012, 07:45 AM
Heard a suggestion on the radio that the main reason Disney would be creating new movies would be to revamp (so to speak) the fan base population and attract bigger crowds in their Disney theme parks which would have Star Wars themed rides, characters, and attractions. It sorta makes sense to me.

I have NEVER had any intention of going to a Disney theme park. However, Star Wars and Indiana Jones events/attractions makes me a tad bit more willing to consider such a family vacation.

Neil
03-Nov-2012, 06:33 PM
You forgot the most important bits!:

Episode 7 in 2015 with new Star Wars films every two years. George also taking a backsteat role is huge too, they may actually turn out to be decent.
Isn't the other big thing that we may finally get the ORIGINAL FILMS on bluray without the f***ing stupid Lucas additions?

MinionZombie
03-Nov-2012, 06:49 PM
Isn't the other big thing that we may finally get the ORIGINAL FILMS on bluray without the f***ing stupid Lucas additions?

I dearly hope so!

I've refused to watch 4-6 specifically because the "special editions" are idiotic. The ORIGINAL versions of the movies, remastered PROPERLY, in ACTUAL widescreen, on Blu-Ray, loaded with extras - that I'd buy.

I've heard other thoughts going around such as - might we get a Boba Fett spin-off movie? Seems there's been talk of that for a long time, but nothing came of any of it (news to me, personally, but then I'm not a Star Wars nerd, just a passing follower of the main beats).

What does concern me though, is just how much stuff Disney owns through direct buy outs and various subsidiary companies.

Neil
03-Nov-2012, 08:02 PM
I dearly hope so!

I've refused to watch 4-6 specifically because the "special editions" are idiotic.
The "Special Editions" which had Jabba put back into the scene where he was suppose to be I though was OK. Along with the improved visual effects for the X-Wings in space etc... But all the other tinkering like tripping over CGI aliens, and the God aweful musical changes to episode VI, and the re-edited ending, need to go...

Neil
05-Nov-2012, 09:21 AM
Channel 4 news (here in the UK) ended on an interesting note on the day of this news... Nice to see them having a bit of fun! (Watch till the end)

Jump to about 25-30s in...

67mPbrk0fPk

Neil
07-Mar-2013, 09:29 PM
Interesting read - How Disney Bought Lucasfilm, and Its Plans for 'Star Wars' - http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-07/how-disney-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars

bassman
08-Mar-2013, 11:52 AM
I saw yesterday that Lucas slipped up and admitted in an interview that Hamill, Ford, and Fisher are all already signed to do the new trilogy. He said something about Disney waiting to make the announcement in a big way...

Neil
22-Mar-2013, 03:02 PM
A Star Wars section may be added to Disneyland? Are we surprised? - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-Theme-Park-Works-Disneyland-36523.html

Disney is sending out surveys to discover how much interest is out there for a special Star Wars section in Disneyland.

bassman
22-Mar-2013, 08:28 PM
I thought that was a definite part of their deal? Aside from the mounds of cash they'll make from new movies, I seem to remember the press release saying there will definitely be SW rides and attractions at their theme parks?

In an age when the classic Disney films don't mean much to most modern audiences, SW will give their parks quite a boost.