PDA

View Full Version : Warm Bodies (film)

Knighty
08-Nov-2012, 11:44 PM
I admit I've not read the book the film is based on and when I heard about the "romantic comedy zombie film" I had little to no interest in it, but the trailer hit today and pisses all over World War Z and manages to actually look quite funny.

Does what a trailer should do and makes me want to actually see the film.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/warm-bodies-trailer

rongravy
09-Nov-2012, 12:36 AM
Actually looks good, but I'd see it for Rob Corddry alone. He makes everything better times infinity.

babomb
09-Nov-2012, 09:30 PM
Kinda looks like Twilight with zombies and comedy.

Knighty
10-Nov-2012, 01:41 AM
Kinda looks like Twilight with zombies and comedy.

That's what put me off finding out about it at first but it actually looks good which I can't say I ever got from any of the Twilight trailers. Though I'm sure someone here must be a fan of them....

blind2d
10-Nov-2012, 02:32 AM
RomZomCom? We already have Shaun of the Dead and :barf: Zombieland...

Knighty
10-Nov-2012, 02:47 AM
RomZomCom? We already have Shaun of the Dead and :barf: Zombieland...

Neither of which feature zombie love, possibly the first mainstream necrophilia film.

blind2d
10-Nov-2012, 02:55 AM
Oh right, right. Sorry, I forgot that part.
But uh... Yeah, I'm not into that.
Don't get me wrong, I love zombies, but.... I don't LOVE zombies, y'know?

DjfunkmasterG
11-Nov-2012, 01:02 PM
I came across this yesterday. After watching it I was thinking "Oh Crap" there goes our studio production of my flick because if this doesn't make at least $50,000,000 I am screwed. The World War Z trailer already has the studio shaking on my project. Thanks Paramount... you f*ck up a perfectly good book and ruin my chances for the 6th year of trying to get my goodamn script to screen.

We had some fun as the expense of Warm Bodies last night in a conversation though. The executive producer asked me whethere or not the zombies sparkle. Not sure I responded, but like someone else mentioned here I noted to him that hollywood has brought us another film about necrophilia. He thought it was the first one, and said no... Technically it started with a series of indie films called Nekromantik, but on the Hollywood scale it was done in 1993's My Boyfriend's Back. (Ahhh fond memories of Traci Lind, man I thought she was hot)

clanglee
11-Nov-2012, 07:54 PM
(Ahhh fond memories of Traci Lind, man I thought she was hot)

No doubt!! In Fright Night 2?!?!?! Dayummmm!!!

AcesandEights
11-Nov-2012, 09:36 PM
No doubt!! In Fright Night 2?!?!?! Dayummmm!!!

He'll yes, Clangers! With the glasses in the library...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/image.jpg.

clanglee
12-Nov-2012, 12:45 AM
Oh man!! Those big 80's glasses and the unruly hair!! No sarcasm at all here, that shit was hot! I would tear that speed reading ass up!!

aaron2
01-Dec-2012, 03:58 PM
I have read the book its great
I have heard that the movie is coming out in 2013..
The story is well interesting of mysterious plague wipes out most of the world's population, humanity is reduced to small concentrated groups held behind massive salvaged sporting domes. The narrator is an undead who only remembers that his name once began with an "R." R is much less decomposed than the average zombie and loves to walk around the abandoned airport he and several undead acquired at an unspecified time

ProfessorChaos
03-Dec-2012, 04:52 AM
just saw a preview of this during the commercials on tonight's TWD.....and like babomb said, "twilight with zombies" about sums it up. my gf mentioned something about a retarded-looking zomcom coming out soon, this must have been what she was referring to.

probably going to avoid this just as hard as the WWZ movie. comedy and romance worked well with shaun of the dead, but this looks like a total shit-sandwich. zombies falling in love? ugh.

JonOfTheShred
03-Dec-2012, 04:18 PM
I can't believe we all forgot about how corpses, after reanimating, apply lipstick and eye shadow. Glad they brought this genre staple back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fMXVqnfM3UI

Neil
18-Dec-2012, 09:05 AM
+ve comments from AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60028

Wyldwraith
20-Dec-2012, 05:15 PM
Umm not sure bout this one,
Might, MIGHT give it a shot when it hits HBO/Showtime, but definitely not squeezing out some all-too-lean $$ on such a risk. If I hated it, I'd be beating myself up for weeks for spending 10$ on it...

kidgloves
20-Dec-2012, 09:02 PM
Count me in. This looks a surprisingly good comedy

Neil
02-Jan-2013, 10:53 AM
First 4 mins...

iI1AkFh3QgU

Staredge
04-Jan-2013, 01:53 PM
I'll probably catch it. Still looks more appealing than WWZ, and the actress showed more emotion in the trailer than Kristin Stewart did in the whole damn series.

Danny
21-Jan-2013, 08:53 PM
Okay, for something sold sort of as a "twilight with zombies" that actually doesnt look that bad if im honest.

Neil
01-Feb-2013, 12:30 PM
Another +ve review at AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60686

WARM BODIES is a nice little film that walks the fine line between romantic comedy and zombie flick well enough to make the hybrid successful on all accounts. Levine's script, adapted from the novel, is sharp and smart, particularly in R's voiceover, and the outrageousness of a human-zombie romance is quickly settled by the performances of Hoult and Palmer. I was pessimistic when I first heard the idea behind WARM BODIES, but, after giving it a look, I walked away fairly impressed, having enjoyed a sweet film about love and so much more.

Neil
02-Feb-2013, 05:59 PM
Cinema Blend loves it with 4.5/5!

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Warm-Bodies-6296.html

Some audiences may get tripped up by the movie’s slower-than-the-average-comedy pace, but if you allow yourself to invest in the characters and story the movie pays dividends. Warm Bodies is a funny, sweet, romantic, fun ride – what else can you ask for?

rongravy
03-Feb-2013, 12:33 AM
I just saw it and loved it. It'll give you feels for zombies like you've never had before.
Lots of good stuff, and Rob Corddry steals every scene he's in as the lovestruck zombie's sort of best friend.
It was a great movie to watch with a full room. There were so many shared awwwwwwwwwwwwwws. I also got there actually 30 minutes before it started. Got us all situated, dropped off all my candy, and got a preshow kushfest on to maximize viewing pleasure.
Awesome movie, lots of heart. See it.
A+.

Neil
03-Feb-2013, 09:52 AM
I'll try and see it in about a weeks time!

rongravy
28-Feb-2013, 03:14 AM
Saw it again. Still loved it. The crowd was alot smaller this time, but the "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"s were still out in full force. Just checked, and saw it made only around $58 million so far. Hope somehow there is a sequel.
Guess no one saw it yet. Harrummphff.

Neil
28-Feb-2013, 08:07 AM
Saw it again. Still loved it. The crowd was alot smaller this time, but the "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"s were still out in full force. Just checked, and saw it made only around $58 million so far. Hope somehow there is a sequel.
Guess no one saw it yet. Harrummphff.

I missed it at the cinema in the end :(

bassman
01-Mar-2013, 11:22 AM
I didn't think it was so bad. Obviously not meant to be an honest effort for the genre, but more of a Romeo and Juliet with zombies.

Exatreides
01-Mar-2013, 12:17 PM
Went to it with a bunch of friends from nursing school. It was a nice fun flick, brave enough to be original, and it managed to just stray above being too campy.

kidgloves
17-May-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm quite a patient person but this one of those where I lost interest after 50 ish minutes.

rongravy
17-May-2013, 10:49 PM
I didn't think it was so bad. Obviously not meant to be an honest effort for the genre, but more of a Romeo and Juliet with zombies.

You mean a Romero and Juliet?

It's still playing at the discount theater. I've already seen it twice, so I'm waiting on the dvd.

paranoid101
19-May-2013, 11:09 AM
Watched it last thought it was great.

shootemindehead
21-May-2013, 07:51 AM
Meh...gave up after 30 minutes. Not as funny as it should be.

Neil
21-May-2013, 08:32 AM
Watched it last night, and really enjoyed it!

Zombie369
01-Jun-2013, 03:45 PM
I actually watched this movie with low expectations and found that it really wasn't that bad. It's the most "optimistic" zombie film I've ever seen, but I liked it. And yes when I first heard about it I was thinking "necrophillia" too. :lol:

JonOfTheShred
12-Jun-2013, 05:15 PM
This movie was terrible. I finally watched it last night and struggled to keep my eyes open.

PROS
- Set design was solid, and the zombies themselves looked decent enough.
- That blonde actress was a treat for the eyes.
- The idea that zombies could be regenerated through human affection, although extremely sappy and corny and cringe inducing....is at least a semi-original thought.
- I thought the whole "Eating brains = psychedelic trip on other peoples memories" was a cool idea.
- The zombies struggling to talk was better than them just having the use of speech from the get-go.

CONS
- The idea that zombies could be regenerated through human affection is extremely sappy, corny, and cringe inducing
- That lead zombies makeup is f*cking stupid. He looks like an asshole the entire movie, mouth half open, acting all surprised.
- I can't f*cking believe the "love" plot of this movie, made me want to throw up in my mouth a little. There is no way a prime piece of post-apocalyptic trim is gonna settle for some DEAD PERSON. That is necrophilia, that is just wrong. The premise, if you remove all the cutesy little moments designed to make teenaged girls squeal, is really disturbing.
- I think I counted THREE montages of that asshole zombie yuppie with blush and the blonde chick becoming close. THREE f*cking montages of that crap.
- The CGI skeleton zombies all looked exactly the same. Talk about laziness.

The movie had potential, but it was awful. Probably the corniest zombie movie I've ever seen. Zombie movies aren't supposed to be CORNY....they're supposed to be CHEESY. And there is a world of difference between CHEESY and CORNY, you follow me?

All in all, Warm Bodies was crap, literally the Twilight of zombie fiction, just as I suspected from the trailers. I will never sit through this hunk of shit again.

Neil
12-Jun-2013, 07:46 PM
^^ I really enjoyed it. Of course it wasn't a hardcore zombie flick and I saw it more as a zombie fantasy with how outlandish it was some ways. But I liked the originality of it, and what that "fanatasy" allowed that story to get away with.

Wyldwraith
17-Jun-2013, 02:59 PM
This movie surprised me,
I was dead-set against the very premise, then I watched it and it sucked me in. R's friend Marcus had some hysterical lines, like when the soldiers run up on the zombies and skeletons fighting and one of em goes "Uhh, who do we shoot???" and Marcus-zombie tosses the skeleton at their feet and growls "shoot this asshole!"

Or when R got shot in the fountain after finishing his conversion, and her father finally came down off his anti-zombie obsession...and they're driving back in the car and he asks R "Are you still bleeding?" to which R replies Yes...and her father pops back with "Good!"

The start was a bit slow, but for some reason the corny sentimentality of the zombie regeneration elicited a guilty "Awww" from me. Though I laughed my ass off when R's narration/epilogue went "I wish I could tell you we cured the Bonies with love, but actually we just straight up killed them...Kinda a downer, but on the upside it was a great bonding experience for us and the humans" when set against the backdrop of the soldiers and zombie reinforcements overwhelming the skeletons.

No, not a traditional zombie movie by any stretch...and maybe it IS the Twilight of Zombies...but you're talking to someone who liked the Twilight novels and got a major kick out of the last Twilight movie (the rest I was very meh about....but the fact they found a way to work the epic battle in without having the battle was uber)...so I'm biased.

And who says EVERY film that includes zombies has to be grim apocalyptic horror? Admittedly 98.5% should be...but nothing wrong with the other 1.5% existing..so long as it entertains the audience...which in this case I felt it did. Completely understand it not being a lot of people's cup of tea...again, thought I'd hate it myself...but I'm man enough to admit when I was wrong, and I was wrong about Warm Bodies.

AcesandEights
17-Jun-2013, 03:58 PM
This movie surprised me,
I was dead-set against the very premise, then I watched it and it sucked me in.

I haven't seen it yet, but a lot of people are saying they enjoyed it. Glad it turned your expectations around, always cool getting pleasantly surprised when it comes to a movie.

Neil
17-Jun-2013, 06:03 PM
It's basically a zombie fairy tale IMHO... So certainly not to be taken too seriously :)

MissJacksonCA
18-Jun-2013, 04:55 AM
It was during a random conversation that I railed virtually all zombie flicks/tv shows because nary all of them have 'love' and desire as some kind of plot element. We see it in 28 Days later, and 28 Weeks, ROTLD, Dawn, Day, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Fido, Dead Set, etc etc etc... and then I happened upon Redbox and suffering from SWF problems decided I should treat myself to a DVD rental and Warm Bodies was there. I remember seeing the previews and then just forgetting all about it. I am so flippin glad I rented it. It wasn't just worth watching. It was necessary to the genre imho. This one was such a phenomenal parallel to how in life today people turn into zombies more than ever and sometimes it takes just one person to revive you and remind you that you can feel love again. To throw zeds in there just makes it even better and more awesome. It also brings to the zombie side of films more viewers because its tapping into a younger audience, luring in more female viewers (and let's be real here women tend to rule a lot of choices in the movie-going experience) and thus can ensnare even more people in the zombie audience and inspire their views on zombies whether love is involved or not. The more people inspired and attracted to zombie movies makes for more potential and an even greater number of zombie tv shows, movies with newer plots and ideas. I even enjoyed the 'bonies' idea from the film. This movie really made me think about why I love good zombie movies and how that can relate to things in reality. It's a conversation starter and really I can't say anything bad about it. I wish there could be a sequel but they left no room for that to happen. Totally give this two thumbs up.

JonOfTheShred
19-Jun-2013, 04:12 AM
It got some things right, and it got a lot of things wrong. I think it tried too hard to be "Cute" instead of outright funny, but its a chick flick through and through, so I was probably just expecting too much. And for a chick flick, it's not all that bad, I guess. Don't misinterpret my review as saying this film was 'unnecessary' or shouldn't exist at all...the more zombie flicks the merrier, so long as the movies are given original titles. ;) I just didn't particularly care for this movie. It was the execution that felt lacking, and ruined for ME what could have been a much better movie.

The best way I could describe this movie is mixing 1 part Shaun of the Dead, 5 parts FIDO, and 50 parts Twilight.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jun-2013, 04:17 AM
I don't understand why so many compare it to Twilight? Its not a trilogy. Its not a girl torn between two men who vie equally for her affection. The girl in the movie isn't helpless in fact she is downright fearless and confident about her actions. Its a zombie Romeo and Juliet. I just want to know how its so like Twilight that's all. Aside from being a chick flick and tweeny...

Neil
19-Jun-2013, 09:11 AM
^^ I think it's simply because it seems to be aimed at the same demographic. Teen horror romance type thingy...

Zombie369
09-Jul-2013, 11:28 PM
Does anybody else think this film took some insperation from Land of the Dead? I mean some things in the movie were kind of similiar like the walled-in survivor settlement, the scavangers going out into the ruins to recover important supplies, and the zombies learning to become human again.

Christopher Jon
10-Jul-2013, 04:08 AM
This movie surprised me,
I was dead-set against the very premise, then I watched it and it sucked me in. R's friend Marcus had some hysterical lines.

What he said.

Good flick. Zombie Romeo and Juliet, not a horror film.

MissJacksonCA
10-Jul-2013, 05:18 AM
Does anybody else think this film took some insperation from Land of the Dead? I mean some things in the movie were kind of similiar like the walled-in survivor settlement, the scavangers going out into the ruins to recover important supplies, and the zombies learning to become human again.

Really? First of all... if the zombies learn to become human that's more along the lines of Day of the Dead... which albeit is by Romero but its the initial forecast of trying to re-humanize the zombies.

Similarly... in a zombie world common sense to some extent would dictate the desire to create a 'safe zone' of a compound style life. We see this in Dawn of the Dead first because of the failure of the stay-home idea in Night. You see it in 28 Weeks Later. It's also on Dead Set. Then there's the whole... well duh... no matter where you are your stores are going to be limited in a doomsday scenario and therefore you'll be required to scavenge for goods beyond your own safe zone. Also in Dead Set and 28 Days Later.

I think a lot of movies bear similarities... whether by Romero or romantic in nature because in the event of a doomsday scenario you'll be inclined into doing certain things. Those will be portrayed in the movies to add to the plot elements and thus makes it interesting. What's nice is when you get to see new ideas come to the forefront on how to survive in the aftermath of such an epidemic. Unfortunately zombie movies and tv shows typically do a lousy job of showing the construction of safe zones, or scavenging in any unique style beyond stopping in at the old 7-eleven and seeing what's on the shelves with the exception of The Walking Dead when they showed the local shop down from Hershels' which was raided but had a lot left in it, in case others may need items from the store. But that's a discussion for another board.

AcesandEights
10-Jul-2013, 02:18 PM
I saw this over the weekend with my wife and we both really enjoyed it. A bit simple from A to B, but that isn't always bad, especially with "out there" premises.

It was definitely good fun for us.