PDA

View Full Version : 27 dead in Connecticut primary school shooting

Neil
14-Dec-2012, 07:41 PM
FFS! How horrible is this!

It is believed the man also killed his mother who was a teacher at the school but Connecticut authorities have not officially released any names.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/at-least-27-killed-including-18-children-in-newtown-connecticut-elementary-school-shooting-say-reports-8417931.html

America was tonight facing the prospect of its worst ever school massacre amid reports that as many as 27 people had been killed after a gunman went on the rampage in a kindergarten class. Up to 18 of the dead were said to be children after a parent at the school began firing indiscriminately.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20730717

As many as 27 people have been killed, including 18 children, in a shooting attack at a primary school in the US state of Connecticut, US media say.

State Police spokesman Paul Vance would not confirm the number of deaths.

US media identified the gunman, who died at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Newtown, as Ryan Lanza, 24, said to be from New Jersey.

If the death toll is confirmed, Newtown would be the second-worst US shooting, after 32 died at Virginia Tech in 2007.

Friday's shooting is the third major gun attack in the US in 2012.

In July an attacker killed 12 people at a premiere of a Batman film in Aurora, Colorado. In August six people died at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin.

Just this week two people died in a shooting at a shopping mall in the state of Oregon.

At the White House, an emotional President Barack Obama cited those incidents as he called for "meaningful action... regardless of politics".

He wiped tears from his eyes as he spoke of the "overwhelming grief" at the loss of life.

I know this will start the same old gun debate again... The US is a very different animal to the UK. But I'm so so glad we do not have guns freely available here!

capncnut
14-Dec-2012, 07:51 PM
The right to own firearms should not be taken away from responsible citizens for the purpose of protecting their homes/families, but regardless it is clear that the gun laws in the U.S. are not working and this tragedy will be the last straw. I don't know what that means, whether it will entail frequent medicals for owners, enforcing higher limits such as age or profession, or an outright ban altogether. But when it's all said and done, there are parents out there whose lives are destroyed because their child is laying on a school floor right now.

Edit: BBC News talking about arming teachers... wtf?

MoonSylver
14-Dec-2012, 08:28 PM
This was all over the news right before I left for work. Every time I get to questioning why I hate people, the world, & life in general I sadly get a reminder of one of the reasons why. Because we do horrible shit to each other all the time. :(

Staredge
14-Dec-2012, 08:35 PM
If I thought banning guns would have any real effect on the situation, I'd drive mine to the smelter myself. It won't. The argument is that not as many people would be dead if guns weren't available. I'm thinking you could have done just as much damage with a sword. There are too many issues going on here for there to be a quick fix, but gun legislation is the only thing you'll be hearing about for a while.

I'm a student teacher right now. This hits me hard on multiple levels. Wish the bastard was still alive, so we could flay him. I'd volunteer to do it........sleep like a baby afterwords.

capncnut
14-Dec-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm thinking you could have done just as much damage with a sword.
Similarly, this (http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/asia/china-knife-attack/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2) also happened today...

shootemindehead
14-Dec-2012, 09:33 PM
You wouldn't be able to kill 28 people with a sword. Not before you were overwhelmed, or people cotton on and simply run away from you. A gun is a distance weapon, you don't even have to be within the same yard as the person you're going to kill.

I read the headline and it didn't even raise a WTF. It's become THAT commonplace in America.

Neil
14-Dec-2012, 10:04 PM
Similarly, this (http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/asia/china-knife-attack/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2) also happened today...

Ummm - WOUNDS 22 vs KILLS 28

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight!

Mass murderers use guns for a reason, because they're very good at killing...

- - - Updated - - -

If I thought banning guns would have any real effect on the situation, I'd drive mine to the smelter myself. It won't. The argument is that not as many people would be dead if guns weren't available. I'm thinking you could have done just as much damage with a sword. There are too many issues going on here for there to be a quick fix, but gun legislation is the only thing you'll be hearing about for a while.

I'm a student teacher right now. This hits me hard on multiple levels. Wish the bastard was still alive, so we could flay him. I'd volunteer to do it........sleep like a baby afterwords.
Gun legislation in the US would be a nightmare, (a) because of the cultural love of guns, (b) how many guns there are and how long it would take to reduce that number!

Mr. Clean
15-Dec-2012, 03:19 AM
So sad :(

Trancelikestate
15-Dec-2012, 06:54 PM
CNN had me a little pissed yesterday. There is such a thing as over broadcasting. Sure everyone needs to know and I know journalists are passionate about their profession but it went too far. It was almost celebratory.

EDIT: Funny I said that, Here's Morgan Freeman's statement on the shooting yesterday.

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you kn
ow the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

Danny
15-Dec-2012, 07:17 PM
Here's Morgan Freeman's statement on the shooting yesterday.

Fucking A. This dude slaughtered children. That is beyond the pale. The mere fact that its already used for ratings and to push both pro and anti gun agendas is a fucking disgrace and just shows you what the media cares about when they report these tragedies.

ProfessorChaos
16-Dec-2012, 03:36 PM
EDIT: Funny I said that, Here's Morgan Freeman's statement on the shooting yesterday.

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you kn
ow the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

uh, these aren't actually morgan freeman's words. by attaching his name, it gets more coverage and is more widespread.

regardless, the point still stands.

AcesandEights
16-Dec-2012, 05:52 PM
Ah, man, college friend of my wife lost her youngest to the shooting. They'd just moved to Newtown this year, primarily on the strength of the school district. :(

Trancelikestate
16-Dec-2012, 08:22 PM
PC, They're not?

ProfessorChaos
16-Dec-2012, 10:36 PM
@ TLS:

http://www.vibe.com/article/Morgan-Freeman-Newtown-school-shooting-statement-hoax

or

http://www.inquisitr.com/440462/morgan-freemans-newtown-statement-almost-definitely-a-hoax/

the bottom link even has a screen-grab of the facebook page of the purported authuor of those sentiments.

the internet is such silly thing at times, particularly the hive-mind aspects of it and how quickly every site wants to drive up page views with the most exclusive breaking news. crazy how quick people are to believe anything that pops online these days.....similar to all the rush to get information out about the piece of shit who did this. his brother was the suspect, then it was him; his mother worked at the school, then possibly she didn't; he also killed his father, then he didn't, etc.

slickwilly13
18-Dec-2012, 08:21 PM
This is funny. Read this if you hate the Westboro Baptist Church like I do. They are not finished with them, either. :D

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/westboro-baptist-church-twitter_n_2318519.html?ir=Weird+News

AcesandEights
18-Dec-2012, 08:49 PM
Christ on his magical candycane! I'm already sick of the media using this to sell advertising time, different sides of the gun debate using this tragedy to try and push their agenda and the general public wallowing in the tragedy.

Staredge
19-Dec-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm not a big fan of Anonymous, but in this case I think I can say.........frakkin' AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Clean
19-Dec-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm not a big fan of Anonymous, but in this case I think I can say.........frakkin' AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly! Absolutely wonderful!

Neil
19-Dec-2012, 11:30 AM
Maybe this is part of the problem? How is an 11yr old boy seemingly able to get a gun so easily?

http://uk.reuters.com/video/2012/12/19/utah-boy-takes-gun-to-school-for-protect?videoId=239983228&videoChannel=2603

Mr. Clean
15-Jan-2013, 09:43 AM
Sandy Hook conspiracies are swirling. I was at work and some guy who bounces info off me all the time, brung it up to find out my opinion and I'm was like psh....wtf?

Well, I get home tonight and get on facebook and two of my friends had shared a video so I decided to watch this 30 min long youtube video and gotta admit that it sorta points out quite a few "oddities" that I can't find any info on myself but on the other hand....a lot of "facts" have the possiblity of being perverted or fabricated. However, it does make you think for a bit about exactly how gullible you are when it comes to the news or someone trying to make you doubt the news.

I guess deep down in me....I'd love to believe the possiblity of this being a hoax simply because then 20 children would not be dead if that was the case but life always has the potental of being brutal and unkind in nature. So I could believe that an evil wimp bastard would choose a crowd of innocent children as his target.

I'm refraining from posting the video due to the sensitivity of this issue. If anyone is interested, pm me and I'll send the link or just youtube it......you'll find dozens just like the one I watched.

Neil
15-Jan-2013, 01:45 PM
I guess deep down in me....I'd love to believe the possiblity of this being a hoax simply because then 20 children would not be dead if that was the case but life always has the potental of being brutal and unkind in nature. So I could believe that an evil wimp bastard would choose a crowd of innocent children as his target.
Surely for this to be a hoax would put it on par with the theory the lunar landings were hoaxed.... and we know how much water than one holds!

AcesandEights
15-Jan-2013, 03:28 PM
I'm refraining from posting the video due to the sensitivity of this issue.

Thank you for that, Mr. Clean.

Mr. Clean
21-Jan-2013, 03:23 PM
The AR-15 "Bushmaster" wasn't used in the schoolings.[EDIT(School Shootings: oops)] It was in the car. This is a month old news now yet I just found out the other day and everyone I talk to hasn't heard this either.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50208495#50208495

Neil
21-Jan-2013, 03:28 PM
^ I've heard contradictory information on that! Anyone know for certain?

Mr. Clean
22-Jan-2013, 08:39 AM
^ I've heard contradictory information on that! Anyone know for certain?

Seems your right.....Cnn last reported 19 December that the AR-15 was indeed used......and a supposed report by the Connecticut State Police says 3 guns were found inside the school including the AR-15...gun in car was a shotgun. I don't know why they haven't came out with an update by now. It's all really confusing and making people draw conclusions/conspiracies. I'm really not sure what to believe at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Not supposed now....Actual Police Report.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?A=4226&Q=517284

** UPDATE **

STATE POLICE IDENTIFY WEAPONS USED IN SANDY HOOK
INVESTIGATION;

INVESTIGATION CONTINUES

In previous
press conferences, the Connecticut State Police clearly identified all of the
weapons seized from the crime scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

To
eliminate any confusion or misinformation, we will again describe and identify
the weapons seized at the school crime scene.

Seized
inside the school:

#1. Bushmaster
.223 caliber-- model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round
clips

#2. Glock 10
mm handgun

#3. Sig-Sauer
P226 9mm handgun

Seized
from suspect’s car in parking lot:

#4. Izhmash
Canta-12 12 gauge Shotgun (seized from car in
parking lot)

This case remains under investigation.

Lt. J. Paul
Vance

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the rebuttal Neil....forced me into doing some research.

Neil
22-Jan-2013, 09:14 AM
^^ So to clarify, the Bushmaster was found inside and was used? ie: It was main weapon?