View Full Version : Xmas DVDs. Matrix Trilogy (plus Animatrix) - Book of Eli - The Dark Knight Rises.

wayzim
03-Jan-2013, 08:20 PM
So my nephews got me a batch of movies this Christmas past, which are shown in the title above, and I used a gift card to get the alleged last Batman film in the Christopher Nolan directed franchise.

The Matrix Collection - was a mixed bag of goodies, as a clunky ending to a promising trilogy was made up for by a somewhat more engaging series of anime shorts set within the larger cyber universe. I had so wanted the movies themselves to be the hacker Star Wars, even with a leaden performance by Keanu Reeves throughout - but in trying for something abit more ethereal in the wrap up, it just felt like Mommy and Dad making up after a big fight.

I'm not one to spurn the unconventional ending, it just never seemed to quite gel for me. As always, your mileage may vary. Now Animatrix, which I had long heard of but had never seen until now, ranged from decent to some fairly inventive storytelling. In the end, It seemed that a vanishing cat, a long distance runner, and some skateboarding kid were the best of the lot.

Book of Eli - had a surprise ending ( somewhat, as I felt clued in about halfway through that something like sorta Ray Bradburyesque was gonna happen here. Still didn't know exactly what, and it was a good twist ) but I got so bored with the rest of it. As much as I respect The Hughes Brothers, as a movie fan I trudged through this fairly short movie, looking at my watch ( figuratively ) far too often than was good for me or the film. likewise with the animated short, which explained the chief villain almost as a half considered aside.

The Dark Knight Rises - In short, I thought this was a boffo conclusion(?) to the trilogy, with so many possibilities for continuing it that my creative avenues are in gridlock right now. The nods to the graphic novel: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller just gave me a happy, as did Anne Hathaway in her Cat Woman outfit (yes, the girl can act as well. )

So hope all you fellow film freaks did as well or better, and I'll see you - at the movies.

Wayne Z