View Full Version : What would you have in a "Realistic" zombie movie?

Cykotic
06-Jan-2013, 03:28 PM
Hey folks...

My mrs is not what you would call a fan of zombie movies, so, I've challenged her to write a short story to which I will try to turn into a short web series or film. But she has one stipulation: It has to be as realistic as it possibly could be.

So, since reading the things you are sick of seeing in a zombie movie, what would you have in a "Realistic" zombie flick?

So far, the basic premise is this:
A husband and his disabled wife are living in london at the start of the "event" (we're not calling it apocalypse... used too much). The story follows their lives whilst trying to survive.

So, I turn this over to you. Your help is muchly needed.

babomb
07-Jan-2013, 10:35 PM
If realism is the key here, then husband and wife will be spending all their time hunkered down in a secure location at the start. Or they'll die right off the bat.
Realistically, if you're not already prepared to survive something like that, your chances are slim. Especially when 1 of the 2 people are disabled.
Maybe if they just happened to be in a bank vault, with a months worth of food and water at the time, and the vault closed itself cuz the power went out.

zombieparanoia
06-Feb-2013, 01:11 AM
Yeah, the "disabled spouse' angle makes it a very short movie. especially if the diability is mobility affecting. It realistically quickly ends with the husband dying trying to keep the wife with him and her acting as an anchor or the husband abandoning the wife.

Cykotic
06-Feb-2013, 04:15 PM
I'll let her know since she is the one writing it... at the moment, we are still jotting down ideas and trying to find a way to make it all work

krisvds
06-Feb-2013, 06:02 PM
Have one of them bitten and both be aware that this means the bitten one will die/turn. Write some realistic, heart-breaking dialogues from that premise and act them out as much as possible while writing;

Cykotic
06-Feb-2013, 07:17 PM
THAT! just what we were looking for!

zomtom
08-Feb-2013, 05:57 AM
I still really love the newscasts. In alot of the movies, I try to ignore the dialogue of the main characters in order to hear what the newscaster has to say. I want to know how the outbreak is affecting the world. Years ago, I lived in the New York City area. Back in the early 70's when there were still alot of black & white televisions, it was a kicker to watch Night of the Living Dead. Whenever the newscaster came on, the actual tv station would put up, "this is a simulation". I'm guessing the first time they aired it, they may have freaked some people out.

Neil
08-Feb-2013, 09:35 AM
Have one of them bitten and both be aware that this means the bitten one will die/turn. Write some realistic, heart-breaking dialogues from that premise and act them out as much as possible while writing;

Indeed - Imagine if it's a mother or father that's been bitten, and their child has to deal with it. Or the reverse, with a young child that's been bitten, and the parent knows the inevitable outcome!

Christopher Jon
11-Feb-2013, 01:42 AM

I'll just leave this here.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?20226-Maggie-(film)-Zombie-flick-starring-Chloe-Moretz&highlight=maggie

Cykotic
11-Feb-2013, 02:07 AM
dang it