PDA

View Full Version : A Good Day To Die Hard (film) - Oh dear!

Neil
13-Jan-2013, 09:42 PM
Unlike the 4th installment, which was a PG-13, this will be an R rated film!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Good-Day-Die-Hard-Rated-R-35083.html

Twentieth Century Fox has confirmed that the latest movie in the Die Hard franchise will be heading to theaters with an R-rating. The move isn't a big surprise when you consider how Bruce Willis felt about the PG-13 rating for the last one. Two months before it was released the star expressed his disappointment in the edit, saying “I really wanted this one to live up to the promise of the first one, which I always thought was the only really good one.”

MoonSylver
13-Jan-2013, 10:26 PM
Hurm. Interesting. I didn't think it was as big a deal as I thought it would be in the last one, due to the unrated cut available on DVD, but meh. :|

bassman
14-Jan-2013, 12:55 AM
The rating can't help a bad film. The fourth entry was good with a PG13 rating, also had an R-rated release that people seem to ignore, and this new entry may be rated R but be a shit film. The ratings have nothing to do with it...

That being said, i'm looking forward to it.

MinionZombie
14-Jan-2013, 10:18 AM
The rating can't help a bad film. The fourth entry was good with a PG13 rating, also had an R-rated release that people seem to ignore, and this new entry may be rated R but be a shit film. The ratings have nothing to do with it...

That being said, i'm looking forward to it.

I've got the "Unrated" version of the film, and it's such a cop out - some piss-poorly added-in CGI puffs of red mist ... ooh, a chinook helicopter flying past my window ... ... where was I? Oh yeah, puffs of red mist for blood every now and then, a couple of on-screen effs, and a few off-screen effs (e.g. when people's heads are turned it's been overdubbed), but apart from that there's barely any difference.

I dig Die Hard 4, even if it goes a bit far (the whole jet plane sequence with McClane jumping about on it was a bit too far of a stretch from the New York cop who ended up in the wrong situation vibe of the earlier films ... surfing a dump truck in #3 aside), but it definitely feels neutered.

Die Hard, particularly with that name, should be an R-Rated franchise and even the least movies in the franchise (arguably 2 and 4) have been entertaining. I'd say that 1 and 3 were the very best (naturally for the first one), and 2 and 4 were flawed but very good watches nonetheless. If #5 sat somewhere between those two groupings, and with a properly earned R-Rating, then that'd be ideal.

It is true that a rating doesn't make a film, but a rating does affect a film, and when a franchise entry is softened despite the others being rated higher, the effect is very noticeable - it feels neutered. Imagine a PG-13 "Friday the 13th" movie, for example.

bassman
14-Jan-2013, 01:08 PM
I never felt it was neutered, even in the PG13 form. It still felt like a Die Hard film to me. Everybody made a big deal that a gun shot muffled the sound of "f*cker" in the famous line, but it didn't bother me at all. I do have some issues with the film, but in the end it was a good effort in reviving the franchise, i'll put it that way.

A muffled "f*cker" is better than how they edited the second film for TV. "Yippie Kay Yay, MISTER FALCON". :lol:

AcesandEights
14-Jan-2013, 01:33 PM

I agree with this all the way. I didn't expect much from this film, saw it in the theater and had a good time. I also thought the cast was pretty well rounded for an actioner.

I just wish we could get Maggie Q out of that elevator shaft for the sequel...

Purge
14-Jan-2013, 03:02 PM
The last one was a huge letdown, IMO. Mostly weak action sequences, and Olyphant is no Rickman.

I think the makers of that one realized that it was a weak entry and tailored it to be PG-13 so that it would be available to a wider audience, since it was probably only 12-year-old kids who'd buy into that jet-fighter sequence.

bassman
15-Jan-2013, 12:03 AM
Although obviously not the same speeds or intensity of a fighter jet, let's not forget that wasn't the first time McClane was on the wing of a plane. He actually FOUGHT on the wing of a plane as it was speeding off in an attempt to lift off in DH2. I don't know anything about planes, but I imagine a great deal of speed is required to lift a 747 into the air. Certainly way too much to stand up and have a fist fight. All he did in DH4 was land on the wing, hang on for a second, then fall off.

Let's also not forget that he's surfed on a dump truck....

I'm not saying the fighter jet sequence in DH4 was perfect or a success, but sometimes I feel some viewers take it a bit too hard considering some of the equally outlandish things that have happened in the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Well.....even if the new film isn't very good, this is a great thing to get out of it: All Die Hard films back on the big screen!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/71516_416124641798113_814396269_n.jpg

MoonSylver
15-Jan-2013, 04:27 AM
Although obviously not...

Let's also not forget....

I'm not saying...

Careful Bass, you're about one "fridge nuke" away from an all out gang war....

:lol:

(FWIW I'm with you 100% ;) )

AcesandEights
15-Jan-2013, 01:59 PM
Careful Bass, you're about one "fridge nuke" away from an all out gang war....

(FWIW I'm with you 100% ;) )

I don't know, the last movie, for me, was so much better than the 2nd film. I don't see any fridges getting nuked in the last movie and I'm an expert at spotting flying fridges ;)

MinionZombie
12-Feb-2013, 06:08 PM
Rated R in America, sure ... so you'd imagine it'd be an uncut 15 rating in the UK, right?

WRONG.

The UK distributors have CUT the movie to get a 12A rating. :stunned:

It's safe to say that I won't be seeing this in the cinema now as a result - and I'd been looking forward to seeing it. Well no way am I splashing out cash on cut Die Hard. Flaming twats. /fan-rage.

LouCipherr
13-Feb-2013, 02:21 PM
...sometimes I feel some viewers take it a bit too hard considering some of the equally outlandish things that have happened in the past.

<cough>indianajonesandthefridge<cough>

MinionZombie
13-Feb-2013, 05:49 PM
<cough>indianajonesandthefridge<cough>

*cough*indianajonesandescapingaplaneinaraftandthen sleddingitdownasnowymountainandthenjumpingitoffacl iffandlandinginariver*cough*

:sneaky::D:sneaky:

LouCipherr
13-Feb-2013, 06:39 PM
My point exactly, MZ. :lol: :D

Neil
14-Feb-2013, 09:09 AM
Oh dear! - http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/A-Good-Day-To-Die-Hard-6304.html

Directors make or break each Die Hard sequel, and John Moore (Max Payne, The Omen) snaps A Good Day over his knee like a dry twig. We waste no time plunging McClane into the action – at 97 minutes, this is the shortest film in the Die Hard series. But Moore’s inability to stage an articulate action sequence turns lengthy car chases and explosive firefights into jumbled messes of stale quips, crunching metal and exploding body parts. If a traditional action scene utilizes 250 edits, Moore shoehorns nearly 1,000 cuts into each headache-inducing stunt sequence – panning and zooming with reckless abandon as the super-human McClane steamrolls over Russian bystanders, leaps from radioactive buildings, and swings from the tail of a helicopter like a kite string caught in a hurricane.

Robo-McClane, meanwhile, has such a thin motivation for stopping these villains (“It’s what we do,” he unconvincingly justifies to Jack) that watching him dispatch wave after wave of powerless targets is arduous, tension-free and the opposite of fun. What happened to the underdog hero who often seemed surprised at his own ability to overcome miraculous odds? Have so many near-miss brushes with death turned McClane into this arrogant killing machine who flips off his enemy as he plunges from the top of a building and crashes through multiple floors of a crumbling Russian building? How are we supposed to cheer for this conceited jerk?

And yet, I’ll never put that final nail in the Die Hard coffin because I believe in the potential of the John McClane character, even though I despise what Willis has allowed him to become. So long as the actor is willing to return to the role, I – as a Die Hard fan – can and will hold out hope that Willis will recruit a director who recognizes the heart and vulnerability of a human hero are what drew us to McClane in the first place. A sequel that somehow returned to the intelligence and compassion of the original Die Hard would go a long way toward erasing the ill will sure to be generated by this Moscow misfire.

MinionZombie
14-Feb-2013, 09:44 AM
Ouch! This just sounds worse and worse ... if the reviews continue to be this ropey I won't even bother getting the (surely?) uncut home video release.

DH4 felt like it was taking McClane too far in the action exploits he was pulling off - it feels off for the character and the franchise, just like the piss-annoying "super Terminators" in T3 and T4. Maybe this is why Willis is so reluctant on the press tour for this flick? Then again, he's one of the big guns behind making these films - so yeah, by the sounds of things, wtf happened?!

Also, I didn't realise the director was the same guy who butchered Max Payne (it was awful) and did The Omen remake (take this heinous mess from beyond my sight).

Like the reviewer says though, as a DH fan, I'm bound to see this movie ... but wow, my expectations have tumbled far. First the idiotic slap in the face for UK fans by cutting it to ribbons for a 12A, and now some shocking reviews coming in. Deary me ... or as Neil would say "Oh dear!".

Neil
14-Feb-2013, 01:25 PM
More hate from AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60959

A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD is not only a bad film but a terrible DIE HARD. As a huge fan of the original and a defender of its direct sequel, it pains me that this is the direction the franchise has gone. But then again, all good things must come to an end, and, after this lifeless effort, it may be the right time for this series to die.

MoonSylver
14-Feb-2013, 04:29 PM
Oh dear! -

Ouch! This just sounds worse and worse ... Deary me ... or as Neil would say "Oh dear!".

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2007/10/15/oh-dear-o-dear_5330.jpg

:(

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2013, 04:29 PM
Mark Kermode rips the piss out of the flick...

LvZQGYNez04