PDA

View Full Version : Zombieland TV series

Neil
25-Jan-2013, 08:57 AM
http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/zombieland-tv-series-amazon/#more-411937

Zombieland writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are onboard for the series as writers/executive producers, as is the movie’s producer Gavin Polone, who would executive produce. Sony TV, Reese, Wernick and Polone previously set up a Zombieland comedy series project at Fox last season.

Buzzbomb
25-Jan-2013, 05:29 PM
Perhaps it'll get sponsored by Twinkies...

Neil
27-Mar-2013, 08:51 AM
Little bit more news in this AICN interview - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61671

The most exciting thing is that we are currently working on a ZOMBIELAND television pilot for amazon.com and we will be able to talk more about that soon. We aren't supposed to talk too much about it right now but the idea is to get a ZOMBIELAND television series going. That's the focus of our efforts here which couldn't be more thrilling to us. ZOMBIELAND is something we envisioned originally as a TV show so to return after so many years and to turn it into a TV pilot is a dream come true.

shootemindehead
27-Mar-2013, 01:56 PM
I can't see this working as a TV show. It was grand as a film, but ONLY because of funny turns by Woody and Bill.

The zombies were crap.

kidgloves
27-Mar-2013, 05:18 PM
I can't see this working as a TV show. It was grand as a film, but ONLY because of funny turns by Woody and Bill.

The zombies were crap.

It was originally developed as a tv show then converted into a movie. It has every chance of working.

Jim Morrissey
27-Mar-2013, 07:21 PM
Great thats what the zombie genre needs after walking dead got undead somewhere near acceptable and hope for better HORROR with Zombies -but after WWZ we can all laugh as they perform circus tricks as well.

Andy
27-Mar-2013, 07:24 PM
http://images.wikia.com/glee/images/7/7a/NO_GOD_PLEASE_NO.gif

Seriously the film was total garbage and this will be nothing more than a cheap cash in on TWD's success.

why america? FUCKING WHY?

MinionZombie
27-Mar-2013, 07:35 PM
I actually really enjoyed the movie - even if, as a zombie movie, it's not that much cop - but I'm quite sceptical of this online TV pilot thing being capable of capturing the essence of why the film worked.

It does taste a tad sour in the zombie fan mouth in a way - The Walking Dead has done so much to redress the balance away from shithouse junk like Yawn04, or decent-but-light-on-zombie-genre-understanding-or-respect film/tv, or generic flicks that just toss zombies into the mix for no real reason other than some muppet will end up buying it just because it's got zombies in it ... I don't want the balance to slip back again.

Who knows - it might end up being really fun - but to be honest I'm just not that interested. I kinda feel that Zombieland came and went, and did what it did rather well (even if its tackling of zombies was generally more 'Treehouse of Horror' than anything else), and I quite enjoyed the film ... but yeah ... I'm just all rather lukewarm to this entire idea.

AcesandEights
27-Mar-2013, 08:18 PM
I had a great time with the movie and could sit down and watch it again right now, or any other time I happen upon it being aired.

That said, I'm not too into the TV idea. I think I'd rather the zomedies be hedged back a bit and a higher bar set for them, as opposed to encouraging more of them in the mainstream by way of a tv show that is more likely to be uneven to lower in quality (based on TV's general batting average).

shootemindehead
27-Mar-2013, 09:57 PM
It was originally developed as a tv show then converted into a movie. It has every chance of working.

Well, just because it started off as a TV idea doesn't mean it'll work. As I said, the only reason the film was ok (and just ok), was because of Woody Harrelson and Bill Murray. To be honest, without them, it would have been pretty crap.

paranoid101
30-Mar-2013, 12:49 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UEz8bUr.jpg

Oh dear........ so maybe it's World War Z then for our zombie fix this year then :p

Artcle and cast can be seen here.... http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/29/zombieland-tv-series-poster-revealed

MinionZombie
30-Mar-2013, 11:48 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UEz8bUr.jpg

Oh dear........ so maybe it's World War Z then for our zombie fix this year then :p

Artcle and cast can be seen here.... http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/29/zombieland-tv-series-poster-revealed

Photoshopped, much? :lol::lol::lol:

And poorly, at that. I'm not photoshopper ... but that's rather sloppy ... and actually not at all enticing. Kinda surprised there isn't an undead hand thrusting out of the ground, or clawing at the viewer in any way. :p

JonOfTheShred
01-Apr-2013, 08:55 AM
Replacing the cast was unnecessary. They could have even kept these four people, have them playing different characters in the same universe, and make META jokes about them being knock-offs of the original cast.

Instead of the dude being Tallahassee, the show would call him Talladega, basically referencing the movie without maintaining the same characters. So that eventually, it could lead to cameos from the original people from the film.

http://www.megidish.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/shaun_of_the_dead_numbered1.jpg

MinionZombie
18-Apr-2013, 10:12 AM
v_7Zc7PuAVU

Trailer.

Neil
18-Apr-2013, 10:56 AM
Hmmm! Some bits :) Other bits :(

MinionZombie
18-Apr-2013, 11:15 AM
Hmmm! Some bits :) Other bits :(

Agreed.

Not sure what it'll be like - it's just a pilot at this stage, right? Says it's available to view now - anyone seen it?

EvilNed
18-Apr-2013, 11:53 AM
"Watch now"? So it's out - now?

Andy
18-Apr-2013, 04:19 PM
v_7Zc7PuAVU

Trailer.

That looks f*cking horrendous. It looks like MTV hired ewe boll to make a TV series spin of snyders dawn of the dead. In fact that series would probably be better.

The film was bad enough.

Neil
18-Apr-2013, 05:18 PM
The film was bad enough.

Well, if you didn't like the film, the TV series doesn't stand much of a chance :)

I really liked the film, but I'm on the fence with this series so far - Need to watch a couple of episodes...

MinionZombie
18-Apr-2013, 06:27 PM
Isn't this just a pilot episode - and it's an online web thing via Amazon, right?

kidgloves
18-Apr-2013, 06:51 PM
Isn't this just a pilot episode - and it's an online web thing via Amazon, right?

Yes. Amazon have now started a policy of shooting pilots only, then asking customers whether the show should go to series.
Cracking idea as long its not abused.

Ragnarr
19-Apr-2013, 12:32 AM
http://images.wikia.com/glee/images/7/7a/NO_GOD_PLEASE_NO.gif

Seriously the film was total garbage and this will be nothing more than a cheap cash in on TWD's success.

why america? FUCKING WHY?

I must agree with brother Andy here guys. We see this sort of thing all the time coming out of Hollywood. A movie will appear that blows people's minds and makes tons of cash because there's something new about it or some angle that's never been done before. Let this bake at 360 degrees for a year, then... Here comes the band wagon. Grubby little yes-men in their little suits trying to cash in on the original concept trying to suck money out of our pockets rather than do something awesome.

kidgloves
19-Apr-2013, 01:31 PM
I must agree with brother Andy here guys. We see this sort of thing all the time coming out of Hollywood. A movie will appear that blows people's minds and makes tons of cash because there's something new about it or some angle that's never been done before. Let this bake at 360 degrees for a year, then... Here comes the band wagon. Grubby little yes-men in their little suits trying to cash in on the original concept trying to suck money out of our pockets rather than do something awesome.

Only problem with that is Zombieland was originally conceived as a TV series then adapted to a movie.

Andy
19-Apr-2013, 02:10 PM

You dont really agree with me becuase im saying the movie was terrible and the TV series looks just as bad. I hated zombieland, it was a unfunny, unoriginal and trashy cash in.. strapping the "cool" bits of other recent zombie movies together around a very loose story.

I am seriously suprised you guys bought it considering how harshly some of the superior movies it ripped off are criticized here, its staggering to me.

Zombieland often ranks right behind land as my second most hated zombie movie, there is nothing redeeming about it.

Even the bill murray cameo felt tacky.

Cykotic
19-Apr-2013, 02:15 PM
http://www.lovefilm.com/tv/?token=%3Fu%3D%252Fcatalog%252Ftitle%252F217036%26 m%3DGET

Yep, so I'm sitting watching the pilot and something hits me.... I really shouldn't like this, but... I sorta do. As much as I love the movie, the series need improvement. A lot of improvement.

JonOfTheShred
19-Apr-2013, 06:14 PM
I just watched the pilot. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. I laughed at a few bits, but some of the acting felt counterfeit compared to the original cast.

I still stand by what I said earlier; this show would've worked better if they were merely reminiscent of the original cast in mannerisms, but with slightly different names as a sort-of META joke. Instead of Tallahassee, Wichita, Little Rock and Columbus we could've gotten Talladega, Omaha, Rockville, Indianapolis and it would have worked a lot better.

rongravy
19-Apr-2013, 09:40 PM
Zombieland often ranks right behind land as my second most hated zombie movie, there is nothing redeeming about it.

Yikers!!!:eek:

I liked the movie.
I also gotta be honest...
The trailer for the pilot looked kinda cool. I've got the page bookmarked and will watch it tonight with the family. I really was hoping for a big screen sequel, but I'll give this a shot.
Who knows? If it passes the test, surely they'll polish it up a bit more, flesh it out a bit better. I'm down.

Ragnarr
19-Apr-2013, 10:43 PM
You dont really agree with me becuase im saying the movie was terrible and the TV series looks just as bad. I hated zombieland, it was a unfunny, unoriginal and trashy cash in.. strapping the "cool" bits of other recent zombie movies together around a very loose story.

I am seriously suprised you guys bought it considering how harshly some of the superior movies it ripped off are criticized here, its staggering to me.

Even the bill murray cameo felt tacky.

Not that I was jazzed about Zombieland either, but the rant was more related to my observation of new concepts or ideas versus hollywoods coat-tailer trash. Shawn of the Dead was the more original comedic approach to dead movies than Zombieland was, with the latter being the coat-tailer of the former. I may have that wrong, but that's how it appears to me.

Tried watching Juan of the Dead yesterday On Demand and couldn't get past the general lame presented with subtitles. Went back to my PS3 playing the newest Walking Dead game. ;)

MinionZombie
20-Apr-2013, 10:17 AM
I rather enjoyed Zombieland, but I'd agree with Ragnarr that Zombieland was definitely a coat-tailer for Shaun of the Dead ... indeed, every zombie comedy has "Shaun of the Dead" plastered somewhere on the front cover/poster to entice viewers in ... such as on "Dead & Breakfast", which I've only seen once. I bought it on a punt years ago, in more naive and impressionable times, and was completely let down. Ain't watched it since.

There's barely any point doing a zombie comedy nowadays as Shaun of the Dead nailed it so hardcore.

I still dug Zombieland though, but yeah, I'm also inclined to agree that they shouldn't have gone for the re-cast, and should have instead gone for a 'like-for-like' approach with another group in that same world.

Zombieland was fun and entertaining, but it's more of a Simpson's Halloween special approach to zombies. It's one of those "fun-pocalypse" movies, which is cool by me.

kidgloves
24-Apr-2013, 07:03 PM
I really enjoyed it. Goofy as hell, as it should be. Need to see more, but i think it could work as an ongoing series.
Opening scene was great.

rongravy
24-Apr-2013, 07:25 PM
I really enjoyed it. Goofy as hell, as it should be. Need to see more, but i think it could work as an ongoing series.
Opening scene was great.
Yeah, I thought it was totally tits, too.
I don't mind the original people not being in it one bit.

kidgloves
24-Apr-2013, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I thought it was totally tits, too.
I don't mind the original people not being in it one bit.

Aye. I thought the lead playing Tallahassee was very convincing. All the cursing was a nice surprise as well.

babomb
24-Apr-2013, 11:48 PM
So why is the video now been removed due to copyright issues by Amazon?

- - - Updated - - -

Amazons flash player is so problematic I didn't even bother trying to finish watching after it repeatedly stopped, lost sound, hung.

MinionZombie
25-Apr-2013, 10:02 AM
I've spotted it on YouTube, so I'll give it a looksee from there (there's no point in me trying to stream it on my connection) and report back with my findings...

Neil
25-Apr-2013, 01:35 PM
Thought it was OK... Would need to improve a little bit to keep my attention.

MinionZombie
29-Apr-2013, 04:53 PM
Alright, finally got around to giving it a bash ... some thoughts:

1) The opening scene was really funny - I enjoyed the 'first world problems' in an office setting as un-noticed carnage escalates outside.
2) Yes, they should have just done four different characters within the same world. I don't understand the need to keep the same characters from the movie.
3) Some of the 'emotional stuff' needs decided work ... the dialogue, the acting ... it lacks importance, if that makes sense? It feels trivial, a bit generic ... it needs work.
4) The idea of them being cursed when finding other survivors I actually quite enjoyed.
5) Tallahasse needs better dialogue. Some of it is just the sort of thing he'd say or do, but other parts in his dialogue felt under-written and off-the-shelf. This guy has more of a flair to what he says at all times.

So yeah, it's the 'fun-pocalypse' angle, which can work. I'd not want to see a bunch of immitators though - there's enough poorly written zomedies out there - and, I kinda feel that, if "they're" not going to take the genre seriously and treat it with respect (particularly when trying to find ways to freshen up the approach - and failing), then I'd rather "they" leave the genre alone entirely and leave it to the dedicated sorts of folks - it's clear-as-day that the folks working on TWD have a great love and respect for the genre - a love and respect that I don't see applied to many other zombie-related productions, where it can feel more like people exploiting the genre and treating it like a tricked-out whore for a quick buck, rather than seeking to do something worthwhile to elevate the genre.

Went off on a tangent there ... so yeah ... the 'fun-pocalypse' thing can work, and it worked in Zombieland, but Zombieland has always had an asterisk next to it for me, a proviso of sorts, that it's just a bit of fun. It's enjoyable for this - singular - to have this sort of fun and irreverence with zombies employed, but this isn't how it should be done generally.

And yes, Shaun of the Dead is the "zomedy" out-there. Every single one since has been riding it's coat-tails, and 99.9% of the time falling right-the-hell-off immediately. Zombieland was a rare exception ... even if it didn't reach the dizzying heights of Wright & Pegg's love letter to the genre.

In summary - this Zombieland pilot needs work - the characterisation and emotional core is the weakest point here, which is unsurprising as that's the hardest thing to nail, but they got it so right in the movie ... I would have really preferred it if they had just taken four totally different people in this same world and gone from there, rather than trying to shoe-horn these new actors (and creative staff behind the scenes) into the custom-fit shoes of Harrelson et al. The new cast wasn't terrible, but the shadow loomed very large over them - they should have never been placed under that shadow in the first place.

MinionZombie
17-May-2013, 10:14 AM
http://dailydead.com/amazon-passes-on-zombieland-series/

Annnnnnd Amazon have passed on it - no additional episodes ordered due to response to the pilot.

Might it get picked up by another company? Who knows ... unlikely.

Can't say I'm disappointed, can't say I'm overjoyed ... insisting on keeping the characters from the movie, but using new actors was definitely a big mistake in my view. I think that might be the biggest reason that fan response was iffy, and therefore Amazon passed on the series.

kidgloves
17-May-2013, 08:16 PM
http://dailydead.com/amazon-passes-on-zombieland-series/

Annnnnnd Amazon have passed on it - no additional episodes ordered due to response to the pilot.

Might it get picked up by another company? Who knows ... unlikely.

Can't say I'm disappointed, can't say I'm overjoyed ... insisting on keeping the characters from the movie, but using new actors was definitely a big mistake in my view. I think that might be the biggest reason that fan response was iffy, and therefore Amazon passed on the series.

Yeah. Kind of indifferent to it myself if I'm totally honest. More is always good tends to be my overall approach though.

rongravy
17-May-2013, 10:55 PM
Bummer. I'm surprised it bombed.
Tits, I said.