PDA

View Full Version : Terence Stamp didn't enjoy working on The Phantom Menace

Neil
31-Jan-2013, 10:53 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Terence-Stamp-Reflects-Misery-Shooting-Star-Wars-Phantom-Menace-35422.html

Starting off by commenting on Lucas' directing style, Stamp said that he didn't get along with the filmmaker at all, saying that he was too preoccupied with elements of the production beyond the performances. "I didn't rate him that much as a director, really," he told the magazine. "I didn't feel like he was a director of actors; he was more interested in stuff and effects. He didn't interest me and I wouldn't think I interested him."

So why did he do the movie in the first place? Two answers: pressure from his agent and his desire to work with Natalie Portman, who impressed him with her performance in Luc Besson's The Professional. But when he got to the set in Australia the disappointment continued. Said Stamp about working with the actress, "I did meet her and she was absolutely enchanting. But on the day I'm supposed to do my scene with her, for which I'd traveled halfway around the world, I said, 'Where's Natalie?' And George says, 'That's Natalie,' and points to a bit of paper on the wall. It was just boring."

bassman
31-Jan-2013, 11:19 AM
Lucas more interested in effects rather than actors? GTFO....

AcesandEights
31-Jan-2013, 01:26 PM
I seem to recall the feeling that Stamp was criminally underutilized. I'm not saying he should have had reams of lines, or tons of screen time, just that he was hired more for his name and less for any gravitas he was allowed to lend by way of performance.

Look at a Peter Cushing style of performance. Not in the film much, but was allowed to deliver when he was there. I liked the way it tended to work out in the original trilogy where lesser known actors were used for major roles and more well known, established (actually proven to be able to act) actors lent weight and believability via background and supporting stuff. Stamp certainly can act, but it didn't feel like he was given much to work with in Phantom Menace. Then again, there was a lot of people who were crowded out of scenes in favor of larger panning shots, views of crowds and CGI stuff.

Of course I could be misremembering, I haven't had a full viewing of Phantom Menace in ages, and may never see it again.

MinionZombie
31-Jan-2013, 05:50 PM
Terrence Stamp was in The Phantom Menace?

Mind you, I've only seen it once and that was like 13 years ago, and I thought it was pish. Still do.

Roll on Episode VII! :D

bassman
31-Jan-2013, 05:52 PM
Yeah he was part of the senate. Stood next to Asian Natalie Portman and some sort of purple bull-horned creature, if I remember correctly...

AcesandEights
31-Jan-2013, 06:32 PM
Stood next to Asian Natalie Portman

Mmmm, Asian Natalie Portman :)

MoonSylver
31-Jan-2013, 11:41 PM
The cast of the original said the same thing almost verbatim, so no big surprise there. Ol' George has always been a guy more interested int the nuts and bolts of film making; the equipment, the technology, etc. Never has been an "actors director"

As for Stamps part in TPM? Yeah, almost a cameo or walk on, with no substance really. Nothing there for an actor like him to sink his teeth into. He wasn't used to ANY effect. :(

rongravy
01-Feb-2013, 12:54 AM
Ha, dissed by Zod.

MoonSylver
01-Feb-2013, 04:22 PM
I should have added condolences to Stamp. He didn't enjoy working on TPM and we didn't enjoy watching it, so everybody lost. :lol: