PDA

View Full Version : New Thunderbirds TV series

Neil
05-Feb-2013, 08:37 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/21321230

The team behind visual effects on films like The Hobbit and The Adventures Of Tintin is to help produce a remake of 1960s TV series, Thunderbirds.

The Weta Workshop, which has also worked on King Kong and Avatar, is co-producing the new show with New Zealand-based Pukeko Pictures.

Thunderbirds Are Go! will broadcast on ITV in 2015 and will feature CGI animation and live-action model sets.

MinionZombie
05-Feb-2013, 10:01 AM
Hmmm ... not sure about this. My childhood was dominated by the classic Gerry Anderson shows. Strange that this is a New Zealand production. :confused:

Neil
05-Feb-2013, 10:37 AM
Guess because Weta have the CGI experience and they're in NZ... so production will end up being there, maybe where's it's generally just cheaper too!?

AcesandEights
05-Feb-2013, 01:28 PM
When I was young, The Thunderbrids never really played on tv in my area at a time when I was able to regularly tune in. In fact, I have this memory of getting home early from school because of an early dismissal due to snow and being thrilled to catch some of it on TV.

Anyway, because I didn't get to watch the show regularly I have no built up childhood lexicon or encyclopedic knowledge of the show, or even much in the way of semi-detailed remembrances. Hell, I couldn't even name a character, but as a little kid I always remember how cool the show seemed from what little of it I did get to see.

MinionZombie
05-Feb-2013, 04:41 PM
Aces - that's a shame that it wasn't on at a good time for you to view it.

I was at just the right age when the Gerry Anderson shows had a resurrection in the early 1990s. I'd say Thunderbirds was my absolute favourite, but I was also really into Stingray, as well as Captain Scarlet. Joe 90 less-so, but I still watched it, and then I somewhat watched Space 1999, but there was this brand new Gerry Anderson show that ran for one season called Space Precinct - I was really into that show too.

LouCipherr
05-Feb-2013, 07:05 PM
I can't say I was a "major" fan of the show since I, like Aces, never seemed to be able to catch it at a reasonable time.

That being said, I still enjoyed what I did see. If they respect the source material, this could be kinda cool. :D

shootemindehead
05-Feb-2013, 08:40 PM
'Thunderbirds' was of its time, so was 'Stingray' etc. I just can't see them working now.

Neil
05-Feb-2013, 09:22 PM
'Thunderbirds' was of its time, so was 'Stingray' etc. I just can't see them working now.

Going to be interesting to see... With the right style it could still be fun!

MinionZombie
06-Feb-2013, 10:13 AM

Well here's hoping they stay faithful and respectful of the source material ... and decidedly avoid anything that resembles the travesty that was this:

http://www.impawards.com/2004/posters/thunderbirds_ver4.jpg

Seriously. F*ck that movie.

shootemindehead
06-Feb-2013, 11:03 AM

Perhaps Neil, but I won't be holding my breath. Anderson had particular vision and a kind of "have-a-go" mentality. Things like 'Stingray' and 'Thunderbirds' shouldn't have worked, not even in the 60's. But they do because there was a seriousness built in by Anderson and the crew. I also think 'Space 1999' was a little gem (well, the first series anyway). Of course, the budget limitations often scuppered that show. But, even so, I cannot imagine it being made successfully today.

Anyway, yes, it'll be interesting, but I reckon it'll be just another "remake" of a classic series that'll end up cancelled after and short, abortive run, like 'V', or 'The Bionic Woman', or 'Knightrider', or 'Charlie's Angels', or...

Neil
06-Feb-2013, 11:50 AM
Anyway, yes, it'll be interesting, but I reckon it'll be just another "remake" of a classic series that'll end up cancelled after and short, abortive run, like 'V', or 'The Bionic Woman', or 'Knightrider', or 'Charlie's Angels', or...
There is one difference... Didn't all those examples come from Holywood. Where as at least this Thunderbirds reboot is not?

Of course we've got other reboots potentially on the way too! Eg: Space 1999 (2099)...

Neil
30-Sep-2013, 06:38 PM
Still progressing, now with voice casting locked down - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64400

This comment has me worried though:-

The scripts are very modern, very fresh and very funny.

Funny?