PDA

View Full Version : Season 3 Limited Edition Blu-Ray case - The Governor's fish tank!

MinionZombie
08-Feb-2013, 10:04 AM
http://dailydead.com/first-photos-of-the-walking-dead-season-3-limited-edition-blu-ray-zombie-head-case/

Now, considering the big difference between the preview photos for season 2's zombie head and what buyers actually held in their hands, I'll take this all with a pinch of salt (unless they've learned a lesson from that nonsense last year).

Anyway - have a gander:

http://c534909.r9.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Walking-Dead-Headcase-02.jpg

http://c534909.r9.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Walking-Dead-Headcase-04.jpg

The case features five plastic decapitated zombie heads and, as you can see below, the base even lights up. On top of that, Todd McFarlane says that it has been designed so you can fill it with water:

“We thought it would be fun for the consumer, after buying the case and taking it home, had to get a little interactive, because we’re not supplying the water!… So you’re going to have to fill up the tanks yourself, and we’ve got little hooks on the heads, so you can arrange them any way you see fit. You can hang them in a certain order, or you can just let them go to the ground and flop around. No one person’s case has to be exactly like the other’s.”

Thoughts?

Neil
08-Feb-2013, 01:03 PM
Thoughts?

EPIC!

RichW
08-Feb-2013, 02:53 PM
That looks pretty damn epic to me!!!..... Think I know whats on my b'day list this year :cool:
Was the season 2 one really that bad in real life? Don't think I've ever seen anything other than the promo material.

R

MinionZombie
08-Feb-2013, 04:23 PM
Rich - I remember seeing a comparison image showing the promotional material version of the season 2 S.E. packaging, and what someone actually had in their hands, and it was significantly less polished looking. I'm trying to find the image on Google, but I can't find it - but it was a side-by-side comparison and I remember the difference being rather noticeable.

As for this special edition - yes, very cool looking - although I'm never going to buy it. I never buy these sorts of things. If someone gave me one I'd put in on a pedestal, but out of my own pocket? No, I don't buy these sorts of things. I do admire them though.

Andy
08-Feb-2013, 08:09 PM
As for this special edition - yes, very cool looking - although I'm never going to buy it. I never buy these sorts of things. If someone gave me one I'd put in on a pedestal, but out of my own pocket? No, I don't buy these sorts of things. I do admire them though.

http://theychosepoorly.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/steptoe.jpg

Moon Knight
08-Feb-2013, 08:24 PM
Wow...lol

bassman
08-Feb-2013, 11:19 PM
No Ben Gardner head? I am disappoint.

As MZ mentioned, there's potentially a massive difference between this prototype and the finished product. The previous screwdriver zombie case ended up looking nothing like the original promotional images.

MinionZombie
09-Feb-2013, 10:29 AM
No Ben Gardner head? I am disappoint.

As MZ mentioned, there's potentially a massive difference between this prototype and the finished product. The previous screwdriver zombie case ended up looking nothing like the original promotional images.

Ah-ha, so I wasn't just imagining things - glad someone else can confirm the difference in the prototype and what was actually on store shelves. I still can't find the comparison image though, and I was surprised that they were allowed to have such a fancy-looking prototype, and then have the actual one people pay for be far less detailed and in some ways a bit sloppy - you're buying it on the look of the prototype, and you don't get what you paid for.

Really you'd expect to get what you paid for, but evidently not in these cases ... I'd hope for those buying this that they get a good-looking product, but you can't help but wonder.

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2013, 05:50 PM
More info on the DVD/BR release of Season 3:
http://dailydead.com/release-date-and-new-details-on-the-walking-dead-season-3-on-blu-ray-and-dvd/

Available as a 5-disc set in each format, the release contains all sixteen episodes from the past season. Like the previous releases, THE WALKING DEAD: THE COMPLETE THIRD SEASON comes stuffed with tons of bonus features, including exclusive behind-the-scenes footage, never-before-seen featurettes, audio commentaries from cast and crew, deleted scenes and other surprises!

In addition, Anchor Bay proudly announces that, in response to overwhelming fan response to last year’s Season 2 limited edition “zombie head” packaging, THE WALKING DEAD: THE COMPLETE THIRD SEASON Blu-ray™ will be available in a limited edition “zombie head tank” package (water not included!) specially created once again by McFarlane Toys. SRP is $79.99 for the Blu-ray™, $69.98 for the DVD and $149.99 for the Blu-ray™ limited edition.

Let's hope the wealth of extra features make it across the pond to the UK - we got screwed over on season one, and even on season two we never got the audio commentaries and one other item (although, generally, the release of season two was better than the R2 release of season one) ... so hopefully we Brits get the full beans on our shores too ... are you listening, AMC?!

:rant:

MinionZombie
08-Aug-2013, 10:05 AM
Two featurette clips from the up-coming Season 3 home video release.

kovk5qUcR6A

Ec1pG4UbMws

American-only, unless you've got the juice.

kidgloves
13-Aug-2013, 08:06 PM
Unboxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMOplkAusWY#at=12

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2013, 10:16 AM
Looks pretty cool - the sculpting on the heads looks far better than last year's season 2 debacle (remember how the preview looked amazing and the actual product looked a bit rushed?) ... generally very cool - I'd never spend the money on it myself, but I'd if someone gave it to me it'd receive a majestic spot on my DVD/BR shelves.

I've got my Blu-Ray pre-ordered, so hopefully we don't get screwed on the extra features - season 2 didn't have the webisodes or any of the commentaries, but had everything else - so hopefully EntertainmentOne don't cheap out on we British TWD fans again.

Neil
14-Aug-2013, 12:53 PM
Do we know the price for the fish tank edition yet?

kidgloves
14-Aug-2013, 05:10 PM
Do we know the price for the fish tank edition yet?

Dont think its available over here Neil. $93.23 (£60) + shipping

http://www.deepdiscount.com/bluray/WALKING-DEAD-SEASON-3

Neil
15-Aug-2013, 03:31 PM
Dont think its available over here Neil. $93.23 (£60) + shipping

http://www.deepdiscount.com/bluray/WALKING-DEAD-SEASON-3

Why is Amazon UK listing it at all then? http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Walking-Dead-Complete-EXCLUSIVE/dp/B00DHITBQG

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2013, 04:55 PM
Why is Amazon UK listing it at all then? http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Walking-Dead-Complete-EXCLUSIVE/dp/B00DHITBQG

That's a surprise - we got skipped over for season 2 IIRC - I wonder how much they'll be flogging it for. A price not worth paying for me, I bet - I'll stick with my current Blu-Ray pre-order. :)

paranoid101
16-Aug-2013, 05:15 PM
This would look nice next to it.

http://i.imgur.com/5dCo1W1.jpg

MinionZombie
21-Aug-2013, 12:21 PM
Here's a review of the Blu-Ray:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Walking-Dead-The-Complete-Third-Season-Blu-ray/57527/#Review

4.5/5

Extras List:

The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season contains several supplements, all of which are featured on disc five, save for episode-specific commentaries.

Audio Commentaries: Director Guy Ferland and Actor IronE Singleton for "Killer Within;" Director/Co-Executive Producer/Special Effects Make-Up Artist Greg Nicotero and Actor Danai Gurira for "Say the Word;" Executive Producer/Writer Robert Kirkman, Executive Producers David Alpert and Gale Anne Hurd, and Actor Danai Gurira for "Made to Suffer;" Executive Producer Gale Anne Hurd and Actor Danai Gurira for "The Suicide King;" and Director/Co-Executive Producer/Special Effects Make-Up Artist Greg Nicotero and Actor Michael Rooker for "This Sorrowful Life."

Rising Son (HD, 6:47): A look at casting Chandler Riggs and the character's arc through the series and in season three in particular.

Evil Eye (HD, 7:54): An examination of "The Governor," including the character traits and dichotomy between the Woodbury exterior and the dark interior. It also highlights the character's evolution and David Morrissey's performance.

Gone, But Not Forgotten (HD, 8:14): A piece that focuses on the death of a character, death scene makeup and prosthetics, and the emotional on-set and on-screen feelings surrounding the death.

Heart of a Warrior (HD, 8:25): This featurette examines Michonne, including Danai Gurira's performance, her conflict with Merle, and her deeper character traits.

Michonne vs. The Governor (HD, 5:13): A closer look into one of the season's driving conflicts with emphasis on the making of one scene.

Safety Behind Bars (HD, 9:44): Cast and crew discuss the prison location, the prison's place in the show, and the process of constructing the set and the amount of detail that went into making it.

Making the Dead (HD, 8:06): A detailed focus on zombie construction and the visual effects that support their "lives" and "deaths," both practical and digital.

Guts and Glory (HD, 7:42): A look at additional character deaths.

Deleted Scenes (HD, 13:20): Scenes from "Walk With Me," "Say the Word," "Hounded," "Home," "I Ain't No Judas," and "Clear."

kidgloves
21-Aug-2013, 04:46 PM
I've gone for my usual US version being shipped to me cause its just not worth the risk of not getting the commentaries. Looks like the Special edition of Season 1 was a one off extras wise. Season 2 and 3 have been pretty much standard tv box set extras.

MinionZombie
21-Aug-2013, 05:38 PM
I've gone for my usual US version being shipped to me cause its just not worth the risk of not getting the commentaries. Looks like the Special edition of Season 1 was a one off extras wise. Season 2 and 3 have been pretty much standard tv box set extras.

The thing with season one was they double dipped. The initial release was the same over here (aside from, bizarrely, some cuts that seemed to have been made accidentally - due to porting files from the wrong European source, IIRC) ... with season 2 there was a disparity - it was the same except in the UK there were no commentaries at all, and the webisodes were missing (why? who knows ... but perhaps it was Entertainment One being a bit stingy as here in the UK each individual extra feature has to be rated by the BBFC, unlike in America where extra features are routinely left unrated) ... and yet they boasted about a "UK exclusive extra" - which was just a shitty bit of 'character profile' text that told you absolutely nothing you didn't already know from, you know, WATCHING the show itself! :lol:

With the continued success and widening audience of TWD, I'm hoping that season three will be third time's the charm. Commentary wise, Danai is cool - and certainly appears on several tracks - but it's a shame that they don't really have many other cast members in the mix this time around by the looks of it. The commentaries is really the only thing I'm worried about, I think the other features should be safe and sound (the release is five discs on both formats in all territories, so it should be a direct port).

I imported the first season special edition DVD for the excellent compliment of extras, and bought season 2 on R2 DVD as it was on a sale.

One thing that I'm a little surprised by, is that they've not included the online making of featurettes that they ran for each episode on AMC's YouTube channel. Surely that would have been an easy addition, and yet no dice on that front ... good thing I downloaded them off YouTube at the time. :D

kidgloves
04-Sep-2013, 02:55 PM
Yaaay. My US Season 3 box set is here. 5 days from the US. Not bad. Nice little surprise as he's sent me the Walmart Exclusive which has a bonus "Songs of Survival" cd.:D

Neil
04-Sep-2013, 04:17 PM
Yaaay. My US Season 3 box set is here. 5 days from the US. Not bad. Nice little surprise as he's sent me the Walmart Exclusive which has a bonus "Songs of Survival" cd.:D

So how much did that cost in total?

kidgloves
04-Sep-2013, 04:23 PM
So how much did that cost in total?

$44.89 shipped. £28.71 Region locked though so you need a bluray player thats hackable

MinionZombie
04-Sep-2013, 05:01 PM
$44.89 shipped. £28.71 Region locked though so you need a bluray player thats hackable

And I take it he writes something different/bends the truth of the price on the customs form where it asks for the value of the item?

kidgloves
04-Sep-2013, 08:28 PM
And I take it he writes something different/bends the truth of the price on the customs form where it asks for the value of the item?

Either marks it as a gift or undervalues it. Never had a problem

- - - Updated - - -

Season 3 rewatch is underway. The audio and video are excellent so far and I dont know if its cause im watching it on a 51" tv instead of a 9ft projector screen, but the grain is very evident. Far more than i've noticed before. Should be the other way around.
The detail in and around the prison with the fences etc is stunning.

MinionZombie
05-Sep-2013, 09:27 AM
I should have my Blu-Ray of season 3 this time next month, and it's the first time I'm getting TWD in HD, so I'm looking forward to getting a gawp at the filmy textury goodness. :)

MinionZombie
02-Oct-2013, 10:21 AM
I've just received my copy of season 3, and going from the list of extras on the back of the box and comparing them to the review of the R1 set via BluRay.com, all the extras are there - featurettes, deleted scenes, and commentaries - so yay! :)

It never made a lick of sense of not include the season 2 commentaries on these shores, so I'm pleased we got the complete package this time.

kidgloves
02-Oct-2013, 06:26 PM
I've just received my copy of season 3, and going from the list of extras on the back of the box and comparing them to the review of the R1 set via BluRay.com, all the extras are there - featurettes, deleted scenes, and commentaries - so yay! :)

It never made a lick of sense of not include the season 2 commentaries on these shores, so I'm pleased we got the complete package this time.

Excellent :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
03-Oct-2013, 10:13 AM
I've started on the boxset.

Extras wise, some of them are a little disappointing in that they're essentially just season-wide debriefs on character conflicts - all of which we already know, because we've watched the season itself, but others (such as the featurette on building the prison) were rather good (e.g. showing how they achieve that 'cracked and flakey metal paintwork' effect, and that the 'brick walls' are actually soft. :)

Decent deleted scenes, although again I feel like there are a bunch of scenes missing - IIRC, Nicotero spoke of several scenes having to be sliced out of 3x05 for time, and yet here it's just one single scene that we get. Were the scenes lost? Were they too incomplete to include? Hmmm...

I made a start on my re-watch of season 3 last night - I'd forgotten just how fast-paced the first episode was. It all moves with purpose and vigour, and yeah, I think my favourite zombie kill of the entire season was the guard walker whose facial mask was torn off with the gas mask. :elol: Nice to see TWD in HD for the first time, too. :cool:

Neil
03-Oct-2013, 10:38 AM
I so want the fish tank... Just not willing to pay rip off prices :(

Moon Knight
03-Oct-2013, 03:21 PM
I so want the fish tank... Just not willing to pay rip off prices :(

Got mine through work via a rewards program. There's always alternatives!