PDA

View Full Version : Comic-book to film adaptations: which is your favourite?

Cykotic
08-Jul-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm not gonna name the title of mine, instead, I'm posting a clip... you should know what it is...
QomTk-VwdXY

Adrenochrome
08-Jul-2006, 06:06 PM
I haven't seen that one yet,....BUT......there was a cool (few) videos by someone wearing that creepy mask on youtube doing some simple card tricks with some cool music dubbed in. Any clue who I'm talking about?...... anyone? He had one that was pretty cool.

anyhooooo...

as far as the "Comics ot Flix", well,......they're all the same to me....so I don't have a fav.

unless I can count Aeaon Flux....which wasn't really a comic, so, never mind.

No. Can't think of one.

AcesandEights
08-Jul-2006, 07:29 PM
Awesome clip Cykotic...let me add a late spoiler warning for those who have yet to see the film (hasn't come out on DVD as of yet--that I'm aware--so I imagine there's a fair numbr of folks who haven't checked it out).

I am currently leaning towards Spiderman, followed by Batman Begins, Batman, Superman and Superman Returns. V: For Vendetta is one of the all time great comics as far as I'm concerned, and the movie was incredible (actually rises above just about all comic book based films, as far as I'm concerned), but when you use the term adaptation it makes me feel as though deference to the source material is one of the key aspects, and, to me, Spiderman has done the best job of pulling people into the it's respective imaginary universe. The writers did a great job of capturing Parker's personality, origin and primary motivations, but kept the film grounded enough so that most people watching the film could suspend their disbelief long enough to enjoy. I also think the film triumphs over Batman Begins precisely because Batman Begins is a film far and away more grounded in reality and Spiderman had a lot more hurdles to overcome in execution to gain box office and viewer acceptance.

Of course, Superman is the original Super Hero blockbuster, so that's got to be considered, as well. Of course, X-men did a decent job, too. I never thought they'd find a decent wolverine, and they did and hit Professor X and some of their other characters right on the head with characterization, but the film doesn't hold a candle to Superman, Spiderman, Batman Begins, Batman or V: For Vendetta in my opinion.

Anyway, I hope the Watchmen gets made. I don't know how they'd do it, AND make it relevant AND execute it with any faith for the original, but V: for Vendetta left me hopeful.

Graebel
08-Jul-2006, 08:22 PM
As long as nobody selects Elektra.:dead:

Sin City was a pretty awesome movie. Really kept the feel of the comic books, although I felt they started to get a little tedious after the fourth one.

And I liked the X-men movies.:o Especially Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut. :o :o

MikePizzoff
08-Jul-2006, 08:56 PM
Heavy Metal

zombie04
08-Jul-2006, 09:30 PM
My favorite is Batman Begins. I love the acting and overall look of the film, which really made it great. Spider-Man 2 would be #2 on my list. The first movie was good, but I think SM2 was just more fun to watch.

MapMan
09-Jul-2006, 12:40 AM
Heavy Metal

Great Movie.

I would like to see Green Arrow as a movie.

p2501
09-Jul-2006, 03:01 AM
vendetta followed by Batman begins. stand as the best as far as i'm concerned.

Danny
09-Jul-2006, 03:48 AM
spiderman was okay, and tim burtons batman with jack nickleson as the joker was fantastic but my favourite has to go with my favourite ever comic book, which ive collected since i was about 9 and never missed and issue, so i love it so much i thought id put up a clip too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD1JzV85TzQ

and for those whove never seen/ read or heard of him get a tpb and the dvd now its only a fiver and it rocks!:elol:

erisi236
09-Jul-2006, 05:15 AM
does Tales From the Crypt count? :)

0dj5FCO_0TU

Danny
09-Jul-2006, 06:32 AM
well it wins outride for best comic adaption theme music.:D

*insert ceepers laugh here*:lol:

coma
09-Jul-2006, 02:58 PM
I hated Tim butthead's Batman. Hated. Garbage. Campy Junk with no affection, whatsoever, for the source material. Batman Begins, now that was good. Not perfect, but Comic adaptaions rarely are
Superman I and II I really loved. When It came out it was unbelievable. A landmark in FX and it wasn't totally stupid. Younger people can't imagine how it was to see FX like that for the first time. Though Marlon Brando was LAAAAAME. Overrated and overpaid.

My pick for best comic adaptation is
American Splender. Great Comic, great movie. Been reading that comic for 20 years and the movie captured the spirit and the intention flawlessly. Theres not one thing in that movie that doesn't ring true to the book. Plus it uses new and innovative techniques to translate the comics to film. Because a lot of it is this idiosyncratic standing around talking stuff, it's a miracle Zwygoff was able to pull it off. He did Ghost World too, which is a faithful adaptaion as well. It captures the bitter melecholy really well.

Theres more to comics than superheroes and even fantasy.

Spiderman I really loved because it is also faithful and reverent. Raimi loves the comic so wanted to bring the true spirit to the screen. and he did. Too many ignore the source material. Batman was around since 1938. It wasn't because of nipples on his tights. I couldn't wait for the original Batman to come out and when I saw it I felt like I got kicked in the nuts by someone who thought I was stupid.
btw, one of my first comics was a Neil Adams/Denny O'neil Batman. For those of you who know what that is, know my hatred of Tim Burton. The Joker is scary, not funny. Batman is kinda nuts, not cute. And he doesn't reveal his identity (FATAL flaw in any superheo movie)

And Tales from the Crypt counts, but it deiesn;t usually apdapt the actual stories. More of the style.

More Comic adaptaions, that are non hero related;
Road to Perdition (pretty good)
History of Violence (Totally awesome. I loved it)
Men In Black (ehhhh)
From Hell (I liked it)
Blade (ehhh. well that's heroish)

Betcha didn't know alot of them were from comics, like Men in Black and A History of Violence.

Graebel
09-Jul-2006, 03:49 PM
Oooh. I forgot my real favorite. :eek:

Tank Girl.

Come on. Lori Petty boinking mutant kangaroos. If that's not good television, what is?:D

zombie04
09-Jul-2006, 06:04 PM
Superman I and II I really loved. When I came out it was unbelievable.

You might want to reword that or somebody might get the wrong idea:D

coma
09-Jul-2006, 06:07 PM
You might want to reword that or somebody might get the wrong idea:D

I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body

MikePizzoff
09-Jul-2006, 07:51 PM
does Tales From the Crypt count? :)

I'd say YES! Good call! Demon Knight rules.

HLS
09-Jul-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm not gonna name the title of mine, instead, I'm posting a clip... you should know what it is...

I have to agree it is my fav as well! "V" for vendetta was awesome! For those that do not know, Hugo Weaving played the man in the mask( The Matrix as Agent Smith).

Someone mentioned Heavy Metal. I loved that as well. I heard there was a sequel. Was that any good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkbAOOnzP5A

RkbAOOnzP5A

FoodFight
09-Jul-2006, 09:17 PM
My favorite comic that has been adapted to film is 'Flaming Carrot'. I know, Mystery Men makes no mention of FC but it's still my favorited comic-to-movie.

bassman
10-Jul-2006, 02:27 PM
"Batman Begins", "Batman", "Superman 1, 2, & Returns", "Sin City".

Danny
10-Jul-2006, 10:07 PM
i cant believe how many people liked batman begins:eek:

coma
10-Jul-2006, 11:55 PM
Maybe because it ROCKED
I can't believe you liked the Tim Burton Batman so much.:)

coma
11-Jul-2006, 12:08 AM
EDIT: Response to anow deleted post by a deleted member, so it didnt meake sence

Danny
11-Jul-2006, 01:30 AM
why?, im not flaming i really dont get it:confused:

coma
11-Jul-2006, 02:09 AM
Thats was directed toward venomous, who came back under a new name, and is now gone, posts and all.
So I was absoultuely not in any way directing that towards you.
I don't flame people:)