PDA

View Full Version : John Carpenter explains The Thing's ending?

Neil
21-Feb-2013, 09:08 AM
"The Thing" of course ends with MacReady (Kirt Russel) and Childs (Keith David) sitting in the snow, presumably going to freeze to death... And the audience is none-the-wiser to if "The Thing" is dead or not...

"[Carpenter] said he never understood where all the confusion came from. The last frame of The Thing is Kurt Russel (sic) and Keith David staring each other down, harshly backlit. It's completely, glaringly obvious that Kurt Russel is breathing and Keith David is not."

Holy $hit? Really?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Has-John-Carpenter-Explained-Thing-Ambiguous-Ending-35887.html

shootemindehead
21-Feb-2013, 09:31 AM
Hmmm...why would that signify that David was a thingy? I thought that it made exact copies? So him not breathing like a perfect copy of Childs is sort of silly.

"A complete set of internal organs" to paraphrase Blair?

This argument has been making the rounds for years though. BTW, Carpenter has never said this publicly and this mention of it is from a "friend" on Reddit. So I wouldn't put it in too much stead.

Neil
21-Feb-2013, 10:07 AM
Hmmm...why would that signify that David was a thingy? I thought that it made exact copies? So him not breathing like a perfect copy of Childs is sort of silly.

"A complete set of internal organs" to paraphrase Blair?

This argument has been making the rounds for years though. BTW, Carpenter has never said this publicly and this mention of it is from a "friend" on Reddit. So I wouldn't put it in too much stead.

Fair enough...

It made a fairly good copy. It didn't need to be perfect, and could adjust as required - Maybe Child's had gills under his armpits due to the biological limitations of this form in the cold!?

LouCipherr
21-Feb-2013, 12:52 PM
Well, what's is interesting that if you watch the ending clip in the link Neil provided, you can plainly see (and hear) that Child's does breathe during the sequence.

Couple that with shootem's explanation, I'm not buying this at all.

Neil
21-Feb-2013, 01:41 PM
Well, what's is interesting that if you watch the ending clip in the link Neil provided, you can plainly see (and hear) that Child's does breathe during the sequence.

Couple that with shootem's explanation, I'm not buying this at all.

So..... John Carpenter is The Thing then? :)

But if you look at the condensation, Childs is producing none (or as good as), while MacReady is blowing out tonnes of the stuff...

Mr. Clean
21-Feb-2013, 04:11 PM

around 1:49 in the video

I always assumed that the ending was left a mystery for a reason since the creature was trying to destory everything in the end so everyone would die from the cold and it could just go back to sleep. Purposely making you wonder if Kurt Russell had rid the world of the threat or not.

bassman
21-Feb-2013, 04:19 PM
I call BS....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Et4m_Bk67to/T2FN57OjmtI/AAAAAAAAA84/wsxbkBpc--g/s1600/BENNINGS+BLURAY+6.jpg

LouCipherr
21-Feb-2013, 04:41 PM
So..... John Carpenter is The Thing then? :)

YES! :lol:

But if you look at the condensation, Childs is producing none (or as good as), while MacReady is blowing out tonnes of the stuff...

I attribute that to nothing more than more backlight on MacCready than Childs. ;)

I call BS....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Et4m_Bk67to/T2FN57OjmtI/AAAAAAAAA84/wsxbkBpc--g/s1600/BENNINGS+BLURAY+6.jpg

....aaaaaand bassman SLAM DUNKS this bitch right into oblivion! :thumbsup: :D

AcesandEights
21-Feb-2013, 05:01 PM
Sounds like a "buy the blu-ray and see for yourself, if you don't believe me" gimmick.

Promptly torpedoed by yous guys :)

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm with bassman and Lou on this one - I too call bullshit and different lighting.

I've also heard this theory before too, a fair while back, but never paid it much mind.

Neil
21-Feb-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm with bassman and Lou on this one - I too call bullshit and different lighting.

I've also heard this theory before too, a fair while back, but never paid it much mind.

I can also go with the back lighting... But there is a very noticable difference between the two.

Do you think Carpenter is just pi$$ing with us with this revelation then?

LouCipherr
21-Feb-2013, 06:35 PM
I can also go with the back lighting... But there is a very noticable difference between the two.

I agree. One is a black dude, and one is a white dude.

:shifty:

Do you think Carpenter is just pi$$ing with us with this revelation then?

TBH, I doubt he even said anything of the sort.

shootemindehead
21-Feb-2013, 06:54 PM
I call BS....

Cheers Bassy. I bloody knew I had an image in my mind of something like that. I just couldn't remember which part it was.

Danny
06-Apr-2013, 09:20 PM
Eh, for my money i always thought macready was the thing at the end not childs. There was so much emphasis on the "and i suggest we only eat food we prepare ourselves, and eat strictly out of cans" scene that the smirk macready gives when he sips the hootch then passes it to childs seems less a "well, i guess we'll see if you are still human" look than "thats it, drink up what dna i just spat in there bro, i fucking got you all in the end".
A little more depressing in the long run of the films narrative i guess, but i like an ambiguously sinister ending like that when its not sequel bait.

MoonSylver
06-Apr-2013, 11:34 PM
Eh, for my money i always thought macready was the thing at the end not childs. There was so much emphasis on the "and i suggest we only eat food we prepare ourselves, and eat strictly out of cans" scene that the smirk macready gives when he sips the hootch then passes it to childs seems less a "well, i guess we'll see if you are still human" look than "thats it, drink up what dna i just spat in there bro, i fucking got you all in the end".
A little more depressing in the long run of the films narrative i guess, but i like an ambiguously sinister ending like that when its not sequel bait.

Unless he was just smirking at Child's hesitation...and his decision to go ahead and drink it. 'Course if Mac WAS human makes you wonder why he would risk sharing his hootch with maybe-Thing-Childs? And vice versa. Unless they're BOTH human. But they don't know that for sure...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE "The Thing. :thumbsup:

bassman
07-Apr-2013, 01:24 AM
At the end of the day.....it's up to the viewer. The whole point of the ending is that you don't know. Just like the entire film, you don't know who you can trust. You follow Macready, but you don't know.

The ending is left ambiguous. Just like the rest of the film. Carpenter is like Romero these days - senile. Take it for what it is. Enjoy it.

MinionZombie
07-Apr-2013, 11:17 AM
They have no transportation, the fires "won't last long though", and they're generally a bit buggered - so they're resigning themselves to death - so they don't care. Drink up and let the cold smother you into the abyss...

MoonSylver
07-Apr-2013, 10:31 PM
They have no transportation, the fires "won't last long though", and they're generally a bit buggered - so they're resigning themselves to death - so they don't care. Drink up and let the cold smother you into the abyss...

Yeah except for possibly one of them, it's only temporary...:elol:

Mr. Clean
12-Oct-2013, 03:23 PM
So, we watched "The Thing" (2011) last night but wouldn't let the kids watch it....this annoyed my son soooo much and so he starts bugging me wanting to see the thing dog from the original movie(I mentioned it to my wife and he over heard the conversation)....So while surfing youtube I seen a video from the Video Game (2002) and it made me decide to look up the ending....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAPamQXHu7A

Thoughts???

- - - Updated - - -

This game is suppose to take place after the first movie (1982)......

I really can't come to a conclusion either way.......after seeing the end of the 2011 movie....it's really hard to form an opinion that's not basis.

I would love to think that Mac survived. I just can't say for sure.

MinionZombie
12-Oct-2013, 04:28 PM
Not sure what the 2011 prequel ending has to do with the 1982 ending :confused: ... but as for the videogame (which I played back in the day and quite enjoyed), it's quite open to interpretation as to whether he's a Thing or not, but it's also a bit of fan service.

wayzim
12-Oct-2013, 04:51 PM
So, we watched "The Thing" (2011) last night but wouldn't let the kids watch it....this annoyed my son soooo much and so he starts bugging me wanting to see the thing dog from the original movie(I mentioned it to my wife and he over heard the conversation)....So while surfing youtube I seen a video from the Video Game (2002) and it made me decide to look up the ending....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAPamQXHu7A

Thoughts???

- - - Updated - - -

This game is suppose to take place after the first movie (1982)......

I really can't come to a conclusion either way.......after seeing the end of the 2011 movie....it's really hard to form an opinion that's not basis.

I would love to think that Mac survived. I just can't say for sure.

I still have all of the Dark Horse TFAW comicbook series (1992) and they absolutely say what really happened after the closing scene of the original Carpenter film, so I'm definitely biased. :D

Wayne Z

Mr. Clean
12-Oct-2013, 05:09 PM
Not sure what the 2011 prequel ending has to do with the 1982 ending :confused: ...

I was unaware that the thing could kill other "things" or at least assist in killing.....2011 movie ending made me realize this.(In the movie, The helicopter pilot was a thing...which is why the girl fried him in the snow vehicle.) Mac helps the main character in the video game kill the final boss. I really like the idea that Mac could have beat all the odds but it seems very unlikely.

AcesandEights
14-Oct-2013, 07:25 PM
So while surfing youtube I seen a video from the Video Game (2002) and it made me decide to look up the ending....

Thoughts???

My thought is..."Wow, I forgot how much I was a fan of this game once I actually got around to playing it!"

Mike70
16-Oct-2013, 06:43 PM
I've watched "The Thing" several times in the last month (its been hard to avoid on IFC) and i think that Carpenter must be having some sort of flashbacks or maybe he's been smoking some really heavy shit.

also: if Childs isn't breathing, how in the fark is he talking? the two kind of go together.

bassman
16-Oct-2013, 07:23 PM
I've watched "The Thing" several times in the last month (its been hard to avoid on IFC) and i think that Carpenter must be having some sort of flashbacks or maybe he's been smoking some really heavy shit.

also: if Childs isn't breathing, how in the fark is he talking? the two kind of go together.

Exactly. As I said earlier in the thread....you can't trust what these old guys say after the fact. They probably remember less about the film(s) than we do...

AcesandEights
16-Oct-2013, 07:36 PM
Exactly. As I said earlier in the thread....you can't trust what these old guys say after the fact.

I agree. There's a lot of after the fact self-aggrandizing that goes on with the whole "Well, let me tell you what it was really all about..." Seen it before and doubtless, we'll see it again.