PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bay continues unnecessarily sexing up kids films?

Neil
22-Feb-2013, 11:41 AM
Transformers was quite good fun. And what kids wouldn't enjoy seeing sports cars transforming into fighting robots. But unfortunately, within the film, there also seemed to be unnecessary 'adult' orientated scenes which were really just were not needed and TBH didn't seem to sit comfortably with some of the target audience of the film... young kids.

So, now Bay's got his eyes set on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, another famous franchise popular with kids... And who has he hired to star in it? Megan Fox... I predict more unnecessary 'sexed up' material in this film!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Megan-Fox-Joins-Michael-Bay-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Film-35922.html

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/35922/tmnt_35922.jpg

slickwilly13
22-Feb-2013, 11:59 AM
Why would he hire her back, after the problems she caused and trash she talked?

LouCipherr
22-Feb-2013, 12:52 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/35922/tmnt_35922.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/jesusapproves_zps2304c429.jpg

shootemindehead
22-Feb-2013, 03:01 PM
Ahem...

http://www.forevergeek.com/wp-content/media/2011/01/starwars_carriefisher_3.jpg

Neil
22-Feb-2013, 03:12 PM
^ Fair enough, BUT in Return of the Jedi I don't recall:-
- Unnecessarily lingering shots...
- Unnecessary banter about jacking off and the like etc...

bassman
22-Feb-2013, 05:09 PM
Aren't they going back to the Turtles' darker roots in this one? The original concept of TMNT was something more along the lines of Sin City with giant mutated turtles. I haven't followed the stories for this, but the last I heard they were going with something closer to that concept. So a bit of T&A shouldn't be much of a problem.

My complaint is that Megan Fox is looking more like Joan Rivers these days. Totally f*cked up her face...

Mike70
22-Feb-2013, 05:46 PM

duh. it was a PG movie. if it hadn't of been there should would've been some sort of banter about jacking off.

AcesandEights
22-Feb-2013, 06:29 PM
Aren't they going back to the Turtles' darker roots in this one?

Props to you for being aware that the Turtles had a much different theme and feel before they got super-merchandised. I don't think a lot of people remember or were aware.

krakenslayer
22-Feb-2013, 10:15 PM
Aren't they going back to the Turtles' darker roots in this one? The original concept of TMNT was something more along the lines of Sin City with giant mutated turtles. I haven't followed the stories for this, but the last I heard they were going with something closer to that concept. So a bit of T&A shouldn't be much of a problem.

Yeah, and if there's one man who can bring the series back to those dark, edgy, indie roots, it's Michael Bay! Right? :P

MoonSylver
23-Feb-2013, 12:26 AM
Yeah, and if there's one man who can bring the series back to those dark, edgy, indie roots, it's Michael Bay! Right? :P

:lol:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/31446435.jpg

shootemindehead
23-Feb-2013, 02:27 AM
^ Fair enough, BUT in Return of the Jedi I don't recall:-
- Unnecessarily lingering shots...

I'm very proud to say that I've cannoy remember a single bloody thing about 'Transformers', so I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

Neil
23-Feb-2013, 08:33 AM
Having sat through it with an 8yr old, I can tell you there are some very unnecessary 'adult' orientated aspects to it which add nothing to the film, and sit rather uncomfortably with the rest of it's nature.

EvilNed
23-Feb-2013, 10:00 AM
I enjoyed the Transformers film. I'm glad they didn't make too much of a kiddy-film out of it. The third one is outright dark, and not something I'd show a kid anyway.

MinionZombie
23-Feb-2013, 10:38 AM
Having sat through it with an 8yr old, I can tell you there are some very unnecessary 'adult' orientated aspects to it which add nothing to the film, and sit rather uncomfortably with the rest of it's nature.

Uncomfortable for you or uncomfortable for the kid? Perhaps such stuff goes over their head a bit?

Now yes this is different (more visual at times, rather than verbal), but Ghostbusters has some pretty raunchy dialogue in it at times - and suggestion of a ghost BJ - and yet I watched that film repeatedly as a child and never got a single one of those references. There was a gap of not watching it throughout my teen years, and then I finally went back to the film as an adult and was stunned by how many cheeky gags were thrown in there.

Of course, the GB flicks are far better than any Transformers movie - a million miles better - with far better writing to boot, but still, just as a comparison.

This reminds me of a funny thing my Mum told me about when I was a kid - of the handful of films I was obsessed with, Short Circuit was one of them. In that film there is a line that goes something like "Your mother was a snowblower" - and I repeated that line to a friend of mine, and he then repeated it to his mother ... now, the lines sounds ruder than it actually is (particularly out of context), but it made me chuckle hearing about that.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Feb-2013, 10:41 AM
I enjoyed the Transformers film. I'm glad they didn't make too much of a kiddy-film out of it. The third one is outright dark, and not something I'd show a kid anyway.

I would never show a kid the transformer films. I want him to respect the art of filmmaking and acting.

EvilNed
23-Feb-2013, 11:54 AM
I would never show a kid the transformer films. I want him to respect the art of filmmaking and acting.

Big robots fighting. Anything bad you have to say about these films can be countered with that. Big robots fighting.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Feb-2013, 12:01 PM
Big robots fighting. Anything bad you have to say about these films can be countered with that. Big robots fighting.

REAL STEEL has Big Robots fighting. Big Robots doesn't beat a freed slave gunning down racist white people in the south.

Neil
23-Feb-2013, 12:34 PM
Uncomfortable for you or uncomfortable for the kid? Perhaps such stuff goes over their head a bit?

Now yes this is different (more visual at times, rather than verbal), but Ghostbusters has some pretty raunchy dialogue in it at times - and suggestion of a ghost BJ - and yet I watched that film repeatedly as a child and never got a single one of those references. There was a gap of not watching it throughout my teen years, and then I finally went back to the film as an adult and was stunned by how many cheeky gags were thrown in there.

Of course, the GB flicks are far better than any Transformers movie - a million miles better - with far better writing to boot, but still, just as a comparison.

This reminds me of a funny thing my Mum told me about when I was a kid - of the handful of films I was obsessed with, Short Circuit was one of them. In that film there is a line that goes something like "Your mother was a snowblower" - and I repeated that line to a friend of mine, and he then repeated it to his mother ... now, the lines sounds ruder than it actually is (particularly out of context), but it made me chuckle hearing about that.

You may be right... But again, why do we need sexually orientated (cheap) shots, and talk of you boys jacking off - Is Bay so short of ideas he ran out of useful material?

The Goonies is another odd example, with again some very unnecessary strong language in it that seems completely at odds with the film.

wayzim
23-Feb-2013, 02:20 PM
You may be right... But again, why do we need sexually orientated (cheap) shots, and talk of you boys jacking off - Is Bay so short of ideas he ran out of useful material?

The Goonies is another odd example, with again some very unnecessary strong language in it that seems completely at odds with the film.

And let's not forget that quick cheap shot of Josh Brolin eyeing Kerri Green's undies as she was climbing down a rope.

As a teen at the time, it made me happy, as an adult ... I could see a problem with that.

Wayne Z

AcesandEights
23-Feb-2013, 04:08 PM
Come on now, I thought all the Puritans crossed over on the Mayflower :)

Use your 'parental guidance' and make some executive decisions for your kids, folks.

Neil
23-Feb-2013, 04:32 PM
Use your 'parental guidance' and make some executive decisions for your kids, folks.

? So you go to see a film based on a cartoon, about giant fighting robots... You know your kids will be fine with the action in such a film. But then there's extended T&A shots (gratuitous?) and talking about masterbation and the like. Why would you expect to be faced with the latter, given the former?

And more importantly, why is the latter even needed?

shootemindehead
23-Feb-2013, 10:46 PM
What certificate did 'Transformers' show at?

AcesandEights
24-Feb-2013, 01:05 AM

PG-13 in the States.

MinionZombie
24-Feb-2013, 11:38 AM

All three films were rated 12A in the UK.

Talk of wanking isn't entirely out-of-place, just a bit crass/only funny to some/indulgent.

Again, I think all of this goes right over the heads of young kids. I know that so much suggestive material went straight over my head in films I watched religiously for years as a child, and it wasn't until I was an adult that I suddenly got all of those cheeky gags and asides. It's important to remember that distinction. If your kids aren't asking questions about those elements, or talking about them, then it's highly likely they didn't even notice.

These films a little bit more grown up - more of a tween audience at least, and above - and yet, yes, the toys are very much aimed at children. But see my above point about young kids and this sort of content. They'll see big robots punching each other, while an adult sees that and potentially awkward material that kids have zero knowledge of.

shootemindehead
24-Feb-2013, 02:46 PM
Well then it's not for 8 year olds.

Re: flying over kids heads, I agree. I remember watching 'Deliverance' when I was a kid and literally thought that Ned Beatty was being ridden around like a pig by the redneck. I knew it was a humiliating scene and felt sorry for the poor fat bloke, but then Burt shows up an arrows the hick through the neck and as a kid it was "WOW, that guys just been shot through the neck!!!...BRILLIANT!!!"

Kids are remarkably resilient anyway. They're well able to process things better than we often give them credit for, even if it is in their own way.

EvilNed
24-Feb-2013, 02:46 PM
REAL STEEL has Big Robots fighting. Big Robots doesn't beat a freed slave gunning down racist white people in the south.

I wouldn't really compare the two films.