PDA

View Full Version : Low carb diet

Neil
26-Feb-2013, 09:30 AM
Soon after x-mas myself and partner did a month long detox. This basically was cutting out most carbohydrates (pasta, bread, rice etc) and also having little/no dairy, along with no alcohol or caffeine etc.

After that month I continued with the no pasta, bread and rice rule and have very little dairy still.

I have to say the weight has been dropping off! I've dropped a belt size each month for the last two months!

I've been on diets before, which haven't cut out the carbs and these haven't been very successful. This one has been very good for me, and generally I don't feel like I'm dieting either!

AcesandEights
26-Feb-2013, 01:59 PM
No carb diets are the real deal if you need quick weight loss, but so depressing to be on.

Even still, I am looking to do some fitting up for March and April and may resort to this sort of inhumanity :(

LouCipherr
26-Feb-2013, 04:32 PM
My wife has been on a program called "Medifast" which is nothing more than an extremely low-carb diet. Let me tell you, she has shed weight off like it's nobody's business! While she probably wouldn't appreciate me posting her weight or number of pounds she's lost, let's just say it's pretty amazing to see her now. :stunned: :D

Aces is right though, these no-or-low-carb diets are a bitch to be on and border on inhumane, but they do work. I have no idea how anyone lives without eating bread, but the wife has been doing it for quite a while. :duh:

Neil
26-Feb-2013, 04:38 PM
No carb diets are the real deal if you need quick weight loss, but so depressing to be on.

Even still, I am looking to do some fitting up for March and April and may resort to this sort of inhumanity :(

Well, we haven't found it too hard:-
Stir fries with brown rice
Chilli with brown rice or sweet potatoes
Fish & sauce with brown rice
Lots of salads with pepper or peri peri mackeral

Quite enjoyed it!

...and really haven't missed bread at all!

We're of course allowed cheat days too...

slickwilly13
26-Feb-2013, 11:08 PM
Well, we haven't found it too hard:-
Stir fries with brown rice
Chilli with brown rice or sweet potatoes
Fish & sauce with brown rice
Lots of salads with pepper or peri peri mackeral

Quite enjoyed it!

...and really haven't missed bread at all!

We're of course allowed cheat days too...

You are eating the right type of carbs, complex carbs. They are better for you vs simple carbs such as sugar and white flour. Complex carbs do not cause a person crash like a simple carb does. If you want to eat bread every now and then. Eat bread made of whole wheat and avoid white bread. Eat to live. Not live to eat.

Neil
27-Feb-2013, 01:48 PM
Eat bread made of whole wheat and avoid white bread.Is that why we're allowed to eat brown rice but not regular (white) rice on this diet?

AcesandEights
27-Feb-2013, 02:18 PM
Is that why we're allowed to eat brown rice but not regular (white) rice on this diet?

Yes!

Now, my question for you, how are you preparing the Brown Rice? Just plain ol' pot boiling? I may go over to the darkside for a few months to lose a few pounds, but we usually use a rice cooker for perfect sticky white rice. My wife is half-Korean, so we take our rice preparation seriously :skull:

MinionZombie
27-Feb-2013, 05:02 PM
Carbs are one of my favourite things. I love soft white bread, french bread, pasta etc - sod off would I bother with this. :lol::lol::lol: (But good on you for those that have wanted to take this approach).

When I was at uni I was an idiot like any other student and piled on the pounds by eating absolute rubbish - and eating way too much of it too - I cut that shit out and calorie counted and lost four stone over four years and I've kept it off. I don't deny myself anything really, just amounts of stuff. I could shift a touch more, but there's not much more left to shift, and I'd rather enjoy my food in reasonable quantities and work out now and then.

I guess I could trim down the bread a bit - although I already did (a fair bit too) as part of the aforementioned slow-burn diet. The important thing is keeping the weight off, and that involves a lifestyle change - that was my primary focus, the permanent change. As such I returned to my Lower Sixth Form weight (age 16-17) ... and could once again wear my sixth form suit ... and I've maintained that ever since. :D

Tricky
27-Feb-2013, 10:10 PM
I eat a high protein diet while eating lots of fruit & veg and keep my carbs at a fairly low level (cutting them out completely is bad for you, read up on the health risks of the Atkins diet), I also follow a fitness routine where I weight train 3 times a week and do a fair bit of walking & running on the other days. I'm pretty much in the same shape as Hugh Jackmans Wolverine now which I never would have pictured myself being 3 or 4 years ago. I'm not as cut though, it's hard to maintain that "dry" ripped look on a day to day basis as you have to be dehydrated and down to about 7% body fat or less, that's what those bodybuilders always do in the run up to a competition or photoshoot but you can't keep that up and feel healthy over a long period. I have cheat days on a weekend when I'm not training too, basically eat what I want including carbs, pastry, sweets etc within reason & moderation on those days.

slickwilly13
27-Feb-2013, 10:10 PM
Is that why we're allowed to eat brown rice but not regular (white) rice on this diet?

That is the reason why. White rice, white potatoes, and white bread are simple carbs. Brown rice, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat bread are complex carbs. Switching from white to brown rice was difficult. Took me 2-4 weeks to adjust. White rice just tastes better and is not as firm. But now, I have no issue with eating brown rice. I boil mine in a pot with little to no salt. And of course, no butter. Also those complex carbs mentioned above contain more vitamins and give you more natural energy throughout the day.

Neil
28-Feb-2013, 08:05 AM
That is the reason why. White rice, white potatoes, and white bread are simple carbs. Brown rice, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat bread are complex carbs. Switching from white to brown rice was difficult. Took me 2-4 weeks to adjust. White rice just tastes better and is not as firm. But now, I have now issue with eating brown rice. I boil mine in a pot with little to no salt. And of course, no butter. Also those complex carbs mentioned above contain more vitamins and give you more natural energy throughout the day.

I find brown rice fine, just pain it takes 3x longer to cook. But we tend to just make too much and freeze it for another day.

Ahhh! Interesting you mention sweet potatoes, because I was confused how they we OK when regular spuds were not!

Ta!

shootemindehead
28-Feb-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm getting a bit too chubby for my own liking, but the thought of not eating bread doesn't exactly fill me with joy. Spuds too, us micks love em! :)

But, I may have to try and shed a stone or so, cos I'm not happy with the extra bits on me.

So brown rice and Heinz baked beans for dinner tonight. :(

Neil
28-Feb-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm getting a bit too chubby for my own liking, but the thought of not eating bread doesn't exactly fill me with joy. Spuds too, us micks love em! :)

But, I may have to try and shed a stone or so, cos I'm not happy with the extra bits on me.

So brown rice and Heinz baked beans for dinner tonight. :(

I used to eat bread every day, and potatoes and pasta. Now virtually never... I also don't eat much dairy either. Caffeen - I've reduced down to about 2 cups of tea in the morning.

Once a week or so I'll have a treat day, but generally it's not too bad! The food is fine, but just more effort as bread, potatoes and pasta are so easy to make (quick) meals from.

MinionZombie
28-Feb-2013, 11:34 AM
Dairy is another thing I wouldn't be doing without. A yoghurt for breakfast every morning (although I used to skip breakfast regularly years ago), and a glass of milk every day ever since I was a little kid - strong teeth and bones, yo! :D

Neil
28-Feb-2013, 12:32 PM
Dairy is another thing I wouldn't be doing without. A yoghurt for breakfast every morning (although I used to skip breakfast regularly years ago), and a glass of milk every day ever since I was a little kid - strong teeth and bones, yo! :D

That's fine... Carbs are the things to watch though :)

shootemindehead
28-Feb-2013, 05:00 PM
What...so no milk on me cornflakes in the morning?

This dieting lark sounds like hell.

Anyway...massive fail for dinner. Ne beans and brown rice. It's indian.

I did a bit cycling today, so it should be ok...shouldn't it :eek:

MissJacksonCA
10-Jul-2013, 05:56 AM
Is now not the time to say I had tempura waffles with chocolate sauce and it was fantastic? Sorry... I love that y'all are men and talking about watching what you eat. I work for a guy I thought had to be gay because his whole pantry is stuffed with things like 'weight control' oatmeal and fifteen kinds of protein powder and dozens of vitamins. I've never known a straight man to care about what he ate.

While men and women are different... somehow ... I hear a lot of what works for people is taking out the carbs and the dairy. None of this gluten free insanity or put cayenne on everything craziness. But I will say... I'm a protein fiend... protein shake for breakfast, greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder, another protein shake for lunch, and then there's dinner which is whatever the hell I want it to be and alcohol because I'm an adult.... and when paired with sufficient exercise weight practically runs screaming for the hills. And speaking of running and hills... find those because they're amazing. They tone every part of you.

Diet without exercise is like a gun without ammo... what's the point really?

Stay strong guys...

Neil
10-Jul-2013, 07:38 AM

Stay strong guys...

As regards weight, have to say diet IMHO seems far more important than exercise...

AcesandEights
10-Jul-2013, 02:09 PM
While men and women are different... somehow ... I hear a lot of what works for people is taking out the carbs and the dairy.

That seems to be my experience, too bad carbs are an altar I have difficulty not bowing down to.

I will say... I'm a protein fiend... protein shake for breakfast, greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder, another protein shake for lunch, and then there's dinner which is whatever the hell I want it to be and alcohol because I'm an adult....
Very cool! Sounds like what life was like for me before my late 30s!

And speaking of running and hills... find those because they're amazing. They tone every part of you.
I absolutely loathe running, but am trying to work myself up to get off the bike and elliptical and start some jogging, as it seems way more efficient for getting the heart rate up.

I couldn't agree more. I used to hate exercise and the way it made me feel, now I find it empowering and a nice rush...till I push it too far, then I hate it again :)

Stay strong guys...
Thanks, gonna try!

As regards weight, have to say diet IMHO seems far more important than exercise...

I agree, though the exercise will make it easier, you healthier and allow for occasional lapses in diet.

Purge
11-Jul-2013, 02:57 PM
I've been lifting religiously for years now, and the low-carb diet is my preference when it comes to losing weight.

I could live off of milk, steak and peanut butter. :D

slickwilly13
02-Aug-2013, 01:03 AM
I have lifted weights during the past 13 months. Question for the weight lifters. What is your regiment like? I am lifting 3 times per week and sticking with old fashion free weights. The number of sets per muscle group are around 5-6 opposed to 10-12 that I used to do years ago. I also used to lift 5 times per week. To be honest, I have noticed better results from lifting less sets.

Tricky
04-Aug-2013, 11:16 AM
I have lifted weights during the past 13 months. Question for the weight lifters. What is your regiment like? I am lifting 3 times per week and sticking with old fashion free weights. The number of sets per muscle group are around 5-6 opposed to 10-12 that I used to do years ago. I also used to lift 5 times per week. To be honest, I have noticed better results from lifting less sets.

I use free weights, mostly barbell with as much weight as I can get on it to lift within an 8 - 12 rep range. I do one set of each lift but mix up what order I do them in for each days workout. Upright rows, standing shoulder press, military press, bicep curl, skullcrushers, bench press and barbell squats. I do that 3 consecutive nights a week then leave a 4 day rest period before doing it again. It's a bit of a posey shot this but I'm taking pics to document my progress, this is the shape I'm in at the moment. As I keep adding weight it will only improve. I run 2 - 3 times a week as well to make sure I'm getting my cardio in.

http://instagram.com/p/ccfzsAK7Oy/

slickwilly13
09-Aug-2013, 05:23 AM
I use free weights, mostly barbell with as much weight as I can get on it to lift within an 8 - 12 rep range. I do one set of each lift but mix up what order I do them in for each days workout. Upright rows, standing shoulder press, military press, bicep curl, skullcrushers, bench press and barbell squats. I do that 3 consecutive nights a week then leave a 4 day rest period before doing it again. It's a bit of a posey shot this but I'm taking pics to document my progress, this is the shape I'm in at the moment. As I keep adding weight it will only improve. I run 2 - 3 times a week as well to make sure I'm getting my cardio in.

http://instagram.com/p/ccfzsAK7Oy/

Keep it up. I noticed your arms, shoulders, and chest are shaping. You got me on those, but I have you beat on lats and abs for sure. Do you have access to a pullup station or bar? I added weighted pullups 1/2 a year ago and have gained positive results. I made a homemade dip belt out of a solid chain around 5 ft, I think. The belt is padded with a foam pool noodle that was cut in 1/2. And I use a spring hook to hold the ends together.

Btw, I thought your hair was blonde.

Tricky
09-Aug-2013, 08:44 PM
Cheers dude! No I don't have a chin up bar, could use one really! I just use free weights. My hair is still a mucky blonde colour, but I don't have the blonde highlights in it that I had a few years ago ha!