PDA

View Full Version : Brains communicating over the internet - Conjoiners!

Neil
01-Mar-2013, 12:12 PM
If any of you have read any Alastair Reynolds science fiction, you'll know he loves the notion of augmentation to human brains to allow technology to enhance performance, and improve communication. These people were call Conjoiners.

We'll maybe now that fiction is a step nearer to being reality with rats communicating with each other over wires (& the internet).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mindreading-rodents-scientists-show-telepathic-rats-can-communicate-using-braintobrain-8515259.html

Pairs of laboratory rats have communicated with each other using microscopic electrodes implanted into their brains. One rat was able to pass on instructions to the other rat in a separate cage using a system of electronic encoding.

Brazilian and American scientists say in their study published today that the telepathic-like breakthrough represents an important advance in establishing new ways of communicating between individuals using brain power alone.

“As far as we can tell, these findings demonstrate for the first time that a direct channel for behavioural information exchange can be established between two animal’s brains without the use of the animal’s regular forms of communication,” they say.

One rat in each pair, the “encoder”, detected the physical signals of where to find a food reward and pass on these instructions to the second “decoder” rat, which was able to use the encoded signals of the first rat to find a similar reward in its own cage without any further help.

The scientists also showed that the direct brain-to-brain communication, carried by fine wires connecting one rat to the other, can be extended over the internet, with rats in Brazil communicating with rats in North Carolina, some 7,500km away.

Mike70
01-Mar-2013, 03:37 PM
If any of you have read any Alastair Reynolds science fiction, you'll know he loves the notion of augmentation to human brains to allow technology to enhance performance, and improve communication. These people were call Conjoiners.

We'll maybe now that fiction is a step nearer to being reality with rats communicating with each other over wires (& the internet).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mindreading-rodents-scientists-show-telepathic-rats-can-communicate-using-braintobrain-8515259.html

absolutely no frakking way on this. reminds of the "outer limits" ep. where everyone is linked into the net, no one can read anymore, no can do math, etc. and people who cannot or will not be "linked" are treated as freaks and pariahs.

we must stop the construction of this "technological terror" we are creating. it is making simpletons and fools out of many. where does it stop? with the entire human race dependent on computer/internet help to wipe their own asses?

making life "simpler", "quicker", and "easier" sounds great but it is a deceptive, seductive, and deadly path toward self-destruction. i see it as dependence and the loss of basic life skills that used to be taken for granted.

MoonSylver
01-Mar-2013, 03:50 PM
^ Don't be L7 Daddy-O. :D Anything that gets me closer to virtual reality &, thus cyberlaid, I'm firmly in favor of. :lol:

Neil
01-Mar-2013, 03:52 PM
Well, in the Alastair Reynolds science fiction I referred to, it is a positive thing, but people who haven't had the "implants" look upon those that have with suspicion! They even call the "Spiders" as a derogatory term!#

It's interesting stuff, as people needed firewalls in effect around their brains to prevent others accessing them etc :)

Mike70
03-Mar-2013, 06:51 PM
^ Don't be L7 Daddy-O. :D Anything that gets me closer to virtual reality &, thus cyberlaid, I'm firmly in favor of. :lol:

Moon, you must have the hardest working fleshlight in North America. :lol:

MoonSylver
04-Mar-2013, 05:17 AM
Moon, you must have the hardest working fleshlight in North America. :lol:

I have no idea what you mean.

http://ist1-1.filesor.com/pimpandhost.com/6/6/9/3/66934/1/6/H/S/16HSy/jackoff1.gif

:lol:

Legion2213
04-Mar-2013, 11:51 AM
absolutely no frakking way on this. reminds of the "outer limits" ep. where everyone is linked into the net, no one can read anymore, no can do math, etc. and people who cannot or will not be "linked" are treated as freaks and pariahs.

we must stop the construction of this "technological terror" we are creating. it is making simpletons and fools out of many. where does it stop? with the entire human race dependent on computer/internet help to wipe their own asses?

making life "simpler", "quicker", and "easier" sounds great but it is a deceptive, seductive, and deadly path toward self-destruction. i see it as dependence and the loss of basic life skills that used to be taken for granted.

I watched all 7 seasons of the 2nd Gen "Outer Limits" recently and that was a great one! You will also remember that the "net system thingy" started overloading peoples brains with info and they started dying because they had no way to disconnect from it and it spanned the planet.

Oh, you also get a +1 bonus point for levering in a Star Wars reference as well. :)

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlPs4m4n4vQ