PDA

View Full Version : The Gonk (from Dawn of the Dead) used in Newcastle Brown Ale Commercial...

Kaos
23-Mar-2013, 05:52 PM
I snagged this clip...

AyKHIFxnKRw

My wife was like, "I've heard this music before." No doubt. :D

Cykotic
23-Mar-2013, 08:57 PM
aye, that's the nukie broon! (Geordies who live in london are few and far between... need to keep the accent going. I refuse to go cockney!)

shootemindehead
23-Mar-2013, 10:57 PM
NEWCASTLE ۞ NO BOLLOCKS

:lol:

wayzim
24-Mar-2013, 12:16 PM
I snagged this clip...

AyKHIFxnKRw

My wife was like, "I've heard this music before." No doubt. :D

A bit tinny through my speakers, but we take our Gonk theme where we can find it.
Well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRiautu0n6I

This is what? Scott Pilgrim vs The Living Dead?

Wayne Z

shootemindehead
25-Mar-2013, 01:49 AM
Ha...that's brilliant Wayne.

It's like listening to it on a Spectrum.

krakenslayer
25-Mar-2013, 09:19 PM
Haha! I love how Americans treat strong, taboo British slang as a sort of oldey-worldey cuteness. You maybe don't say "bollocks" much over there, so it sounds amusing and rustic, but to us "bollocks" is probably considered a fair bit stronger than "asshole"/"arsehole". You wouldn't see it in a commercial. :P

Same goes for "wanker", which was used in an episode of The Simpsons, for example. To us "wanker" shares both the exact meaning and level of offensiveness of, say, "cock-stroker". :lol:

EDIT: Here's the BBC list of "stong language" in order of perceived offensiveness, some of which may surprise non-UK readers:

http://my.opera.com/Chyren/homes/files/rudeness.gif

shootemindehead
26-Mar-2013, 12:21 AM
Jew? God?

WTF? Anyone getting offended by those words need to be called f*cking c*nts. Just so they'd understand how ridiculous they are.

Here in Ireland, we have terrible mouths. We insert f*ck(ing) into nearly every sentence. Cursing over here is strange. You really have to say it with conviction if you want to get the meaning across.

We even invented the word "feck", so we could get away with it in polite company!

:lol:

krakenslayer
26-Mar-2013, 09:20 AM
Jew? God?

WTF? Anyone getting offended by those words need to be called f*cking c*nts. Just so they'd understand how ridiculous they are.

I was a bit confused by "Jew" and "God" too. "Jew", I think, must mean in the context of like "Don't be such a Jew, gimme some money!", the implication bring that Jews will be offended by the suggestion that they are all mean and tight. Most Jews I know make such jokes themselves, however, and - worse - they are SCOTTISH Jews! :lol: