PDA

View Full Version : Roger Ebert Dead at 70.

Purge
05-Apr-2013, 03:26 AM
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=800356&ocid=ansent11

My favorite film critic. I'll miss him. :(

Neil
05-Apr-2013, 08:23 AM
On Dawn of the Dead - It is gruesome, sickening, disgusting, violent, brutal and appalling. It is also brilliantly crafted, funny, droll, and savagely merciless in its satiric view of the American consumer society. Nobody ever said art had to be in good taste.

krisvds
05-Apr-2013, 09:12 AM
I enjoyed reading his reviews. I found myself agreeing quite a lot with him, and even when I didn't his reviews were well thought out and a good read.

He did get it wrong on a couple of times. Which is normal in a career that long. Still, how anyone could misread Lynch's American surrealism in Blue Velvet to such an extent is baffling to this day:
" And when you ask an actress (Rosselini) to endure those experiences, you should keep your side of the bargain by putting her in an important film."

shootemindehead
05-Apr-2013, 09:25 AM
Aye, I too found myself in agreement with him, more often than not. But, even when in disagreement, he did make some good points.

Except for 'Day of the Dead'. :shifty:

Purge
05-Apr-2013, 02:35 PM
I liked Day, but I can see why he didn't. Talky and overacted. But he thought the original Halloween was on par with Psycho, he loved one of my favorite flicks (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer), and his review of the last Jaws installment is always good for a laugh.

Mike70
05-Apr-2013, 09:11 PM
sad news. whether you agreed with his opinions or not, his love of movies is what he should be remembered for. he really loved film.

Danny
07-Apr-2013, 03:55 PM
Rarely agreed with his opinion on films, and certainly not on his opinions of videogames never being art, but i admired his unending passion for cinema that i dont think any other critic has or will ever come close to capturing. He wasnt always right, but he was always sincere and passionate about how he felt upon reviewing his experience with a movie and that is something todays bought off critics that work only as a branch of advertising will never ever come close to again.