PDA

View Full Version : Bethesda is "done with Skyrim"

Danny
15-Apr-2013, 04:07 PM
http://www.bethblog.com/2013/04/15/moving-to-our-next-adventure/

HURM.

Strange to see this hours after the elder scrolls mmo footage leaked and the internet proclaimed it generic garbage. We know there was a lot more dlc planned about the thalmer, this is reeking of "shit, we need the mmo to make back money and people are saying its not skyrim enough, lets get rid of skyrim!" damage control.
So no more dlc, no shivering isles style expansions. Just a very mediocre looking world of war craft clone. yay...

Whats more interesting is theres rumours of bethesda just shutting down its single player elder scrolls team completely to push the mmo made in the abysmal SWTOR engine this week and this was immediately followed by a long anonymous rant on kotaku from an "anonymous game developer" complaining about how publishers are in control and shelving work.

im not gonna say aliens but.... ALIENS. :D

seriously though, this reeks of money and suits ruining the elder scrolls series just to cover expenses. and people wonder why we are starting to see another big games industry crash...

AcesandEights
15-Apr-2013, 04:42 PM
Whats more interesting is there's rumours of bethesda just shutting down its single player elder scrolls team completely to push the mmo made in the abysmal SWTOR

:eek: Sounds wretched! That engine wasn't up to the task for SWTOR, I can't see it handling a Skyrim mmo title.

And a living, even more expansive Skyrim would be great...but one I'd have to share? Not. So. Much.

Danny
15-Apr-2013, 04:49 PM
:eek: Sounds wretched! That engine wasn't up to the task for SWTOR, I can't see it handling a Skyrim mmo title.

And a living, even more expansive Skyrim would be great...but one I'd have to share? Not. So. Much.

Oh it looks awful, so much is ripped off from guild wars 2, wow and swtor and so little is elder scrolls. They have changed the elder scrolls lore and say "from now on this is canon and the single player games are none canon personal storys like fan fiction" and most of the stuff like the thieves guild and dark brotherhood arent in the game at all!

shootemindehead
15-Apr-2013, 05:50 PM
Whats more interesting is theres rumours of bethesda just shutting down its single player elder scrolls team completely

Oh

Balls

krakenslayer
15-Apr-2013, 08:48 PM
This is the worst news I have heard this year.

Worse than North Korea.

shootemindehead
15-Apr-2013, 10:04 PM
:lol:

Rancid Carcass
15-Apr-2013, 10:25 PM
Eurogamer has a slightly more optimistic view of the situation:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-15-skyrim-team-moving-on-to-our-next-major-project-presumably-fallout-4

Aaaaaaand relax...

EvilNed
16-Apr-2013, 07:55 AM
Whats more interesting is theres rumours of bethesda just shutting down its single player elder scrolls team completely to push the mmo made in the abysmal SWTOR engine this week and this was immediately followed by a long anonymous rant on kotaku from an "anonymous game developer" complaining about how publishers are in control and shelving work.

I wouldn't put much stock in those rumors. Bethesda are never, ever gonna give up their Elder Scrolls SP series. That is currently their flagship, and oh what a flagship it is. Ever since Morrowind, the games have gotten bigger and bigger. Not only in gameplay terms, but also in sales and popularity. Skyrim, the game, entered the public mindset as no game before it had ever done. It was marketed on the same level as a blockbuster movie, and sold accordingly.

I'm not surprised that they're giving up on Skyrim now, tho. We've had 2 expansions already, both of which are of adequate size if you ask me. The reason they're giving up on Skyrim probably has more to do with them putting an increased focus on TESVI rather than Elder Scrolls Online, which is a wild-card so far. I'm not saying they're not gonna give the MMO all they've got, but they're never, ever, ever gonna let the TES-series Proper suffer because of it.

Also, know that Bethesda have been putting pressure on ID software lately and want them to pump out a Doom project to rival Skyrim in popularity and size. They have lots of stuff going on right now. They've grown into a behemoth, for sure...

Danny
16-Apr-2013, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't put much stock in those rumors. Bethesda are never, ever gonna give up their Elder Scrolls SP series. That is currently their flagship, and oh what a flagship it is. Ever since Morrowind, the games have gotten bigger and bigger. Not only in gameplay terms, but also in sales and popularity. Skyrim, the game, entered the public mindset as no game before it had ever done. It was marketed on the same level as a blockbuster movie, and sold accordingly.

I'm not surprised that they're giving up on Skyrim now, tho. We've had 2 expansions already, both of which are of adequate size if you ask me. The reason they're giving up on Skyrim probably has more to do with them putting an increased focus on TESVI rather than Elder Scrolls Online, which is a wild-card so far. I'm not saying they're not gonna give the MMO all they've got, but they're never, ever, ever gonna let the TES-series Proper suffer because of it.

People said very, very similar stuff about the warcraft RTS series a decade ago though, much as i dearly want that to be the case the modern games industry inspires less than faithful hope with the future for me. For one thing a single player game you sell once, an mmo you charge every month for. We can all wish there are devs out there that are the customers best friend and "Care" about their product but you compare making 5 million with a game once to 5 million every 30 days for the foreseeable future from a game and their moral compasses get a little skewed to put it mildly.

EvilNed
16-Apr-2013, 09:45 AM
Still, I wouldn't put much stock in rumors. Especially rumors like that. Seem silly and not really backed up by anything except wild speculation.

AcesandEights
18-Apr-2013, 02:20 PM
All this Bethesda talk really has got me jonesin' for some Fallout playtime.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Kl_xqzNJADQ/S566eN8F1jI/AAAAAAAAACs/avccc5tEqfw/s400/Fallout-3-cosplay-3.jpg

clanglee
19-Apr-2013, 02:55 AM
All this Bethesda talk really has got me jonesin' for some Fallout playtime.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Kl_xqzNJADQ/S566eN8F1jI/AAAAAAAAACs/avccc5tEqfw/s400/Fallout-3-cosplay-3.jpg

I am looking foward to this instead. . . . . . http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

Neil
19-Apr-2013, 08:46 AM
I am looking foward to this instead. . . . . . http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

Looks interesting...

HvNbuOenVPw

AcesandEights
19-Apr-2013, 01:52 PM

Thank you!

So I can play...
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/square_small/9/93770/2348414-east.png

and then play this Wasteland game in the aftermath...excellent!

clanglee
20-Apr-2013, 06:33 AM
Wasteland the original game was awesome. I remember playing it on the C64 way back in the day. Set up like Bards Tale, but Post Appocalyptic instead of fantasy. The Fallout games are actually the spiritual sequals to Wasteland. But I'm super happy to go back to the original with modern graphics and gameplay.

This new Wasteland looks like it is using the RPG gameplay from many of my other favorite games. Similar to Baldurs gate, and what have you

Danny
20-Apr-2013, 11:40 AM
So another interesting development, Bethesdas announced a new survival horror game called "the evil within". So their next game apparently isn't fallout 4. This is.. interesting i guess.

CoinReturn
20-Apr-2013, 12:57 PM
So another interesting development, Bethesdas announced a new survival horror game called "the evil within". So their next game apparently isn't fallout 4. This is.. interesting i guess.

Bethesda Softworks publishing. Shinji Mikami's upstart dev house Tango Games is developing.

Who knows what Bethesda Game Studios is up to.

Danny
20-Apr-2013, 01:13 PM
Well honestly that gets me more excited. I love bethesda games, but i can ignore bugs in an rpg, a survival horror with bethesda level day one bugs? yeesh! :lol:

Mr. Clean
02-Sep-2013, 12:41 AM
Anyone been playing the new DLC for Skyrim?

I got a wild hair up my ass so I created a new character plus downloaded Hearthfire. The Dawnguard and Dragonborn are somewhat pricey.

Building your own house is somewhat entertaining not to mention the process is very detailed. Plus, it's been quite a while since I last played so I kind of forgot all the details to some of the quests. I haven't messed with adopting children or anything yet....still kind of pissed that they patched some of the leveling loop holes.

Mr. Clean
04-Sep-2013, 07:03 PM
The Dawnguard and Dragonborn are somewhat pricey.

FYI, The DLC's for Skyrim are 50% off on Xbox Live. Great News for me since I was avoiding them the other day over the price....think of it buy one get one free? :)

AcesandEights
04-Sep-2013, 08:25 PM
FYI, The DLC's for Skyrim are 50% off on Xbox Live. Great News for me since I was avoiding them the other day over the price....think of it buy one get one free? :)

Thanks for the heads up. Skyrim is really on my list of games to get back to. I always push progression on these exploration RPGs (Skyrim, Fallouts etc.) and then stop playing just shy of finishing the main storyline and never get back to them. Maybe it's time!

ProfessorChaos
07-Sep-2013, 03:10 PM
just got dragonborn and dawnguard, good way to killl tiime till gta 5 drops.

slickwilly13
07-Sep-2013, 04:48 PM
Anyone been playing the new DLC for Skyrim?

I got a wild hair up my ass so I created a new character plus downloaded Hearthfire. The Dawnguard and Dragonborn are somewhat pricey.

Building your own house is somewhat entertaining not to mention the process is very detailed. Plus, it's been quite a while since I last played so I kind of forgot all the details to some of the quests. I haven't messed with adopting children or anything yet....still kind of pissed that they patched some of the leveling loop holes.

I have them. They went on sale months ago for a limited time, so I bought all 3. I have invested over 50 hours in just Hearthfire and Dawnguard, alone, and I have yet to complete the latter.

Mr. Clean
30-Sep-2013, 07:27 PM
Working on Save File Transfers(PC to 360).....Once I figure out the entire process, I can hook you up with a maxed out character(Race and Name of Your Choosing). All you'll have to do is go get spells, shouts, ect.... If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. Might make your second play-through not so dreadful....then again....might make it too easy?

I can not modify saves with dlc data attached.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: I should add that I'm not modifying faces. The Dawnguard DLC put a plastic surgeon in The Ratway (Thieves Guild) so you can modify the face to your liking that way. If there is a generic face you like then I'll make that the default face of your character.

EvilNed
30-Sep-2013, 08:47 PM
I have to fire this game up again. I still havent finished the main quest, Dawnguard, dragonborn, thieves guild, fighters guild or dark brotherhood... Or the civil war.

What did I do during those 135 hours logged??