PDA

View Full Version : Can you list your personal Top Ten films?

Danny
23-Apr-2013, 05:55 AM
Not the technically best, thats a lot easier i think. I mean the personal top ten flicks you could watch again and again purely because you love them so much. Could be a cinematic masterpiece, could technically be complete dog garbage but something about it be it the writing, soundtrack, one performance, the mise-en-scene, some little thing makes it a personal all time favourite. I've been thinking this over all weekend and i think i could say the following is mine. But what about you?

10: Millenium Actress by Satoshi Kon
vpGrD5wUzKE
A real sleeper for me, but chokes me up every time by the end. An anime flick about a low budget filmmaker tracking down a reclusive actress in her extreme old age, asking her to reminisce about her life and how it intertwined with WWII and the facism that took place at the time mixed with her films bleeding into the reality of her trying to find a man she fell in love with as a high school girl who was arrested for being a liberal dissident artist and was never seen again. Its emotional, heart wrenching and more touching for anyone who loves the creative side of cinema than you would expect from a director normally known as being the japanese david lynch. The trailer does it absolutely no justice and i cant recommend this enough.

9: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind by Michael Gondry
lnSgSe2GzDc
Its kind of a joke with my friends that i have some "hipster as fuck" tastes in film and music that i mostly acquired in Uni, so stuff like this or lost in translation scratch that itch for me. But this just has something special other flicks like it dont. Its a combination of a plot thats sort of told half backwards and some outstanding performances by the leads that make utterly believable characters in a completely impossible situation. Which is something gondry does when he is at his best and this is honestly what i would consider to be a grown up version of scott pilgrim in a way without all the juvenile bullshit but keeping all the insecurities and down to earth problems of the characters. For some reason i really dig that.

8: The 5th Element by Luc Besson
OoKssDjs64o
I know, i know. This might seem strange. A lot of folks get real standoffish to this because its "so weird". But its not so wierd, its so goddamn french. French english language cinema like this always has this almost comic book feel to it that many just dont gel with when its got bruce willis guns abalzing one minute, a blue jellyfish woman singing techno opera the next. Personally i think its a visual treat and a very basic adventure story. guy and girl fall in love, save the world and fight bad guys. Nothing special, but hows its presented makes it so stand out. For most its off putting, but me i loved it.

7: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by peter solleh
WlPpHImfR5A
Another strange one for msot i'd expect but personally this just felt like the closest thing my generation has to a john huges movie. Its got fresh writing, great pacing, an excellent contemporary soundtrack and its just a great telling of the "young people going into the city and finding themselves" story that most of us have some flick we enjoy telling the same way. This is just the one i like the most.

6: Super by James Gunn
eL57ncw2jr8
Okay. I bet theres some folks who have never even heard of this because it got such a small release. Now you probably watch the trailer and expect a zany comedy. But its dark, like, daaarrk. The film is an indiosyncratic deconstruction of the whole kick ass/watchman 'dark comic book heros' movie trend and it leaves you feeling unsettled if not a little disturbed. Its got some great performances from kevin bacon, miechal rooker, ellen page and rainn wilson to name just a few of the big names attatched to this really low budget flick that feels like something you would expect to come out in the 90's from canada or something, not the 2010s from the american midwest. Its a strange blend of kick ass and napolean dynamite with a little observe and report style dark as fuck tone shifts that makes it such a refreshing movie that really fails as a comedy, but as this heartbreaking story of a depressed man who simply cannot stand by when he sees what he considers 'great injustice' in his town that really sticks with you.

5: The Green Mile by Frank Darabont
uDybmxbKf4Y
Okay. I could gush about this forever. Every fucking performance is the best of the actors careers, Meichal clarke duncans performance actually made me cry as a kid when it first came out. The direction -and im sorry for this- blows his work with shawshank out of the water and the soundtrack is amazing. Sure the plot is cheesy. The ending is bittersweet and its overlong. But fuck this is one of the most emotional, touching films i have ever seen and will never tire of watching it.

4: The Shining by Stanley Kubrick
5Cb3ik6zP2I
Really torn between this and the dramatic excellence of the exorcist. But this just has dread in every scene. its like the tense feeling as you prepare for an obvious jumpscare, only the scare never comes and a scene of a woman talking to her son about a hedgemaze or something is chilling even though it is mundane. Kubrick just created something so inherently off putting that it remains to me the best supernatural horror story around. It doesnt beat you over the head with disgusting images like hellraiser, or even have effects like the pea soup vomit and head spinning of the exorcist to age it. Its just one family stuck alone with no help coming as the father suffers a complete psychological breakdown and ghostly imagery aside this could have been a simple story of jack torrence going mad and it would still be just as creepy.

3: Jurassic Park By Stephen Speilberg
Bim7RtKXv90
No Jurassic park no film degree on my wall, as simple as that. I saw this as a kid and felt awe from cinema in a way i never had before and it made me think "i want to make movies too". The performances were great, the effects at the time were mind blowing and the soundtrack remains one of my all time favourites. Granted some of its aged terribly but the basic sense of wonder speilberg gives at the start that turns into this tense thriller pushing horror scenario with the raptors by the end makes for my perfect adventure film. I love stuff like indiana jones too, but this just has something special that makes that little kid who was fascinated with dinosaurs and movies inside me come alive again each time i watch it. Its a very personal love for this movie but god damn i dont think ill ever get sick of watching this film.

2: The Thing by John Carpenter
p35JDJLa9ec
I dont know what there is to say about this one. Lots of great horror flicks out there. Alien, day of the dead, halloween. So many greats. But the thing? its just incredible. its over 30 years old and its practical effects still outdo the cgi from the recent prequel. Its carpenter at his absolute best and the isolated situation combined with the most sincere paranoia of the "anyone could be the thing" situation makes what should be a mundance made for scifi idea into something i watch multiple times a year because its simply so bloody good.

1: The Big Lebowski by the Coen Brothers
cd-go0oBF4Y
This was the first on the list and the easiest decision of the ten. Its my favourite film of all time. the script, the dialogue, the timing, the acting, the amazing cinematography for such a mundane and crazy plot. Everything about it makes it my most beloved, most quoted film i have ever seen.

A surprisingly tough list to make up, with so many honourable mentions like american psycho, day of the dead, watchmen, double indemnity. I could go on and on, but i just thought it up to see if i really could sift through the many, many flicks ive seen and loved over the years into the ones that i enjoy the most.

What about you?

MinionZombie
23-Apr-2013, 09:48 AM
*cracks knuckles*

I have something previously prepared ... and I might still make a few tweaks to it (e.g. I totally forgot to put The Shawshank Redemption in there, and I adore that movie - anytime it's on, it hooks me right in and never lets me go ... and damn, I totally forgot The Big Lebowski as well!). Yep ... a 2013 update to my Top 50 is going to have to be done. :cool:

MZ's Top 50 Favourite Movies:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/my-top-50-films-of-all-time-2012-update.html

Anyway, my Top Ten (as part of my Top 50 Favourites), in no specific order, are:

Aliens (1986):
When I was a kid – long before I ever saw the it – I knew this was a seriously cool movie. My friends and I would frequently play Terminator or Aliens, and we’d bicker over who got to pretend to be Hicks (played in the movie by Michael Biehn), one of the coolest badass good guys committed to film. The first battle with the titular Xenomorphs and the operations room siege, are two key sequences for me – even after repeated viewings over many years they still get my adrenaline pumping; they are perfect examples of how to do action cinema correctly.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007):
Director Andrew Dominik went in a very different direction after his debut film Chopper with this meandering, wistful, hypnotically poetic western. Roger Deakins’ cinematography is sumptuous, the central performances are astounding (particularly Casey Affleck as the eponymous coward), the score is wonderful, and while it can very easily divide an audience (if your attention span is short, don’t even bother) I found it to be nothing short of spell-binding.

Back to the Future (1985):
The script is text book perfection – no scene is wasted, back story is constantly imparted, and the plot is tight and controlled. Seeing the third film in the trilogy was one of my earliest cinema-going memories, and indeed I can never watch the first film without following it up with the second two. Smart, witty, filled with mind-bending time travel technicalities, and endlessly quotable dialogue, Back To The Future is a true classic. My love for this film was further strengthened during its 25th Anniversary theatrical re-release – it was a joy to finally see it on the big screen, but even greater was seeing young parents bringing their children to share in their long-standing enjoyment of this fantastic film.

Blade Runner (1982):
The very first time I saw Ridley Scott’s sci-fi masterpiece (the 1992 Director’s Cut on a fuzzy Channel 5), it decidedly passed over my head. The special effects impressed me, but that was about it – it was most definitely beyond my years at that stage. A few years later I re-discovered it and began to appreciate it much more, and over the years that trend has continued. I now adore it as a visionary treat for the senses – a combination of classic film noir with a future dystopia. It might depict an over-crowded, smog-choked metropolis that seems to exist in a permanent state of neon-mottled darkness, but it’s simply beautiful and breathtaking to behold.

Dawn of the Dead (1978):
This is one of the movies that made me want to get into filmmaking. In 1997 I bought an issue of SFX which featured an article, and review, about George A. Romero and the release of the “Director’s Cut” (actually the Extended Cannes Cut) in the UK. I read and re-read this article, and from that point on it was my mission to see the movie. I fondly recall how I was so utterly gripped during my first viewing – for the entire 139 minute running time – that after the credits finished I just sat there with my open-mouthed in awe. Since then I’ve seen the film dozens of times and to me it’s simply the absolute best thing to happen in the zombie genre.

Fight Club (1999):
Visually arresting and so well crafted, this is the ideal male movie for the modern era. It successfully combines a searing style with an acerbic wit that tempts the rebellious part inside all of us. Closely followed by Zodiac, it’s perhaps David Fincher’s finest outing as director.

Ghostbusters (1984):
During my childhood this was what it was all about – the movies, the cartoon, the action figures – this was (and still is) my Star Wars. As a child it inspired awe for its fantastic special effects and family friendly frights, but as an adult I was finally able to fully recognise and appreciate just how well written and downright hilarious the script is. This is one of those films that was seemingly on endless repeat on the VCR when I was a kid, and as such it’s utterly imprinted on my memory. Utterly, utterly, utterly superb.

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (1966):
Sergio Leone’s “Dollars Trilogy” was what got me into westerns during my mid-teens, but it was the grand and sweeping scale of this epic ‘spaghetti western’ that proved most enduring in my memory. The score is fantastic, the editing is brilliant, the cinematography is lush, and the central trio of Eastwood/van Cleef/Wallach make this a perfect bloke’s movie.

The Maltese Falcon (1941):
During the first semester of the first year of my film degree at UEA, we saw a restored print of this iconic film noir for the Key Issues in Film Studies course. Before this point I had never really appreciated classic black and white movies, but a switch was flicked inside my mind during that screening – my first introduction to Bogart – and I’ve never looked back. Not only is it a very fine film indeed, but on a personal level it really blew the doors open in terms of the scope of my cinematic appreciation.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991):
I first saw this (in a heavily censored version) on BBC1 at just the right time – I was a young kid just getting into action films such as this, and it left a mighty impression. Pioneering in its use of CGI, T2 is one of the finest examples of action filmmaking. Like Aliens, the busted blocks come with intelligence, but also impressive skill when it comes to crafting adrenaline-fuelled sequences to drop your jaw.

Good list though - I also rather liked Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it and it just sort of carried me away. I know what you mean about it being like a John Hughes movie for Generation Y.

Ooh - The Shining! Yes, good one. I've always loved that movie, but seeing it on Halloween night last year in the cinema with a big crowd made me love it even more ... and yet it's not in my Top 50 ... methinks I'm going to have to shift some more things around. :D Also - Jurassic Park - yes, a superb movie. Still holds up today, and I have fond memories of the summer of 1993 when it hit the screens and it was the cinematic event of the year. :)

EvilNed
23-Apr-2013, 01:08 PM
Lots of Hollywood-films, so far.

I'll post my list tonight. Hopefully it will add some variation, but it's tough to not let Hollywood dominate.

shootemindehead
23-Apr-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't usually don't do” top ten”, because they change all the time. However, at the moment, it probably stands like this:

1. Day of the Dead

Surprise, surprise...'Day of the Dead', to me, is by far and away the greatest zombie film ever made and quite possibly the greatest horror film ever made too. There are few films that have had the...er...guts to be as grim and gruesome as Romero's best effort was. It's much better than his 1978 classic and will have a longer life too. Already 'Dawn of the Dead' looks extremely dated and its ability to draw in new audience is limited. But 'Day of the Dead' is a completely different kettle of fish altogether and for serious hooror film fans, it's an absolute must.

2. Jaws

Speilberg's absolute masterpiece and something he hasn't been able to achieve again in his career. The big rubber shark continues to be genuinely shocking, even if we can see most of the joints at work. The "perfect storm" of accident and forced re-assessment that came to gether to produce the end product is legendary today...but what an end product! Dum Dum, Dum Dum, Dum Dum, Dum Dum...

3. The Thing

Another classic, from a period that produced some of the greatest films ever made. From the early 70's to the mid 80's was a great time for cinema, even if a lot of the classics of the period were mis-understood at the time. Like Romero's 'Day of the Dead', Carpenter's 'The Thing' was routinely (and remarkably) vilified upon its release, but today it's hailed as one of the greatest horror films ever made. Unfortunately, the love came too late, as the negative response stunted John Carpenter's career with a self imposed restraint that has expressed itself in his later efforts. Carpenter would never again achieve the brilliant heights that 'The Thing' reached, despite producing some good films since his 1981 effort.

4. Star Wars

There's not much that can be said that hasn't already been said about Lucas' fantastic game-changing films and I am classing 'Star Wars' as the original trilogy here. Even though 'The Empire Strikes Back' is the best Star Wars film, it was 1977's 'Star Wars' that ended the disco Sci-Fi of the likes of 'Logan’s Run' and presented a space opera of magnificent extent. It's effect of cinema was outstanding and its blockbuster nature continued the trend that 'Jaws' kicked off in 1975, unfortunately, in my opinion as its led to a slew of Summer blockbuster nonsense, much of which has been gibberish, and effectively destroyed the direction that innovative cinema was going in for the bulk of the 70's.

5. Apocalypse Now
Famously dubbed “Apocalypse Later”, Coppola’s crazy Vietnam epic has the same troubled production that a lot of the 70’s classics have, but also endured heart attacks and real wars too. But, the final result was a fantastic, Heart of Darkness(esque), journey through the jungles of Vietnam and Cambodia, snaking its way toward a lunatic performance by an overweight Marlon Brando. While not the best “Vietnam” picture, it’s still one of the greatest films ever made.

6. The Battle of Britain
Guy Hamilton’s fantastic flop remains the greatest effort to put on film a huge collection of beautiful vintage aircraft that is a delight to see. The producers of the film managed to gather together an impressive number of Heinkels. BF109s, Hurricanes and Spitfires, although the “German” aircraft were actually post-war Spanish models. At the time, Hamilton and Saltzman’s air force was called the “35th largest in the world”, although there may be a bit play going on there. In addition to the lovely aircraft, there is also a huge cast of contemporary greats, like Lawrence Olivier, Robert Shaw, Michael Caine and James Fox and a story that moves very close to the actual history of the battle. The only strike against the film that I can think of is its decision to include fictional characters and composites, instead of their real historic counterparts.

7. Lawrence of Arabia
David Lean’s defining moment and one of cinemas most incredible and enduring epics, with a career defining performance by Peter O’Toole and a wonderful introduction to Omar Sharif, who at times steals O’Toole’s thunder. Coupled with some expert cinematography and iconic scenes, it’s a film that anyone who’s interested in the medium should see. There’s little negative remarks that I can think of to say about ‘Lawrence of Arabia’ and if pushed, I’d say that some of the history is a bit…off…shall we say…but the trick is “not minding”.

8. Das Boot
The best film (although the original mini-series is better) about the war that has been made to date, bar none. The Germans know how to make war films and ‘Das Boot’ is the greatest expression of it. It’s grim, nasty, terrifying, cynical and hopeless, just like war is and it dispenses with the tiresome jingoism that is all too present in American and to a lesser extent British war films. With the chilling statistic of 75% fatalities, you know that it isn’t going to end well, but ‘Das Boot’ manages to make the viewer care about the men of U-96 and root for their survival. An incredible achievement, made on a relatively modest budget and apart from a few dodgy model sequences, it’s as perfect a film about its subject that one could hope for.

9. Cannibal Holocaust
There have, literally, been trillions of words written about Ruggero Deodato’s gore extravaganza over the years and in many countries (especially Britain) it has been seen as a some sort of mind bending, eye melting, sadist propaganda that will render the viewer either a gibbering mess, or a possible serial killer. Neither is true, obviously, but what ‘Cannibal Holocaust’ is, is an extremely disturbing and effective horror film that stays with the viewer long after the final minutes are over. Riz Ortolani’s score, too, goes to great lengths in adding to the uncomfortable weirdness that the film exudes, even if its gentle, melodic opening is at extreme odds with the content that unfolds on the screen. Certainly not a film for everyone, it’s not even a film for every horror film fan, but ‘Cannibal Holocaust’ does exactly what it says on the tin.

10. Aguirre Zorn des Gottes
Werner Herzog’s mad, fictional, depiction of Lope De Aguirre’s doomed Amazon journey to the mythical El Dorado is yet another picture that is all the more interesting due to its difficult birth. Beset on all sides by monumental difficulties during its filming, the least of which was Klaus Kinski’s legendary nonsense, ‘Aguirre, The Wrath of God’ is strengthened by its madness. Fair play to the makers, cast and crew who endured ridiculous hardships, including having to trek up mountains, hack through jungles, navigate speeding rapids on a makeshift raft and use a screenplay that was shot as the picture was being filmed, as they managed to turn out the absolute classic of 70’s German New Wave cinema.

Honerable mentions could go to a thousand others, so here's just a few...

'Ran'
'Raiders of the Lost Ark'
'The Godfather' and 'The Godfather Part II'
'Taxi Driver'
'The Outlaw Josey Wales'
'Seven'
'Blade Runner'
'All the Presidents Men'
'Goodfellas'
'The Shining'
'2001 A Space Odyssey'
'Psycho'
'The Bridge on the River Kwai'
'The Maltese Falcon'
'Raging Bull'
'The Treasure of Sierra Madre'

All opinions are subject to change.......probably tomorrow...

Morto Vivente
23-Apr-2013, 03:20 PM
My top 10 horror movies was hard enough, but my top 10 movies across the board is almost impossible, and to put them in order of preference for me..... definitely impossible. Here’s 10 without too much forethought and in no particular order.

ALIEN

A great example of tension-building and genre fusion. I also love the grimy futuristic aesthetic and low lighting as opposed to the squeaky clean and extremely bright sci-fi approach. Wish I’d seen it in the cinema before watching it on TV, oh well.

TAXI DRIVER

IMO Scorsese’s best picture to date. I particularly like the aporetic conclusion. Is Bickle a hero in the true sense, or just portrayed that way by the fickle and superficial media? In reality did he just find an outlet for his own personal anger at society for being rejected, did he do a “good thing” by chance? Ultimately is he a walking time bomb following his 15 minutes of fame ? I love this movie !

REPULSION (1965)

Very scary movie, it could be your next door neighbour. The whole vibe is unsettling and edging towards the horrific reveal at the end, really powerful IMO. Catherine Deneuve is also very easy on the eye, (Belle de Jour another great movie starring Deneuve).

DAY OF THE DEAD

I saw this as a pirate video (remember those ?) in ’86. My reaction was WTF, I’d already seen the Evil Dead and being only 10 years old it scared the shit out of me, but DotD was different I just didn't know why. As a young teenager I didn’t get the social and psychological subtext, but as the years went by my appreciation grew. Today it’s definitely in my top 3 movies, without a doubt my favorite horror movie and the best of it's sub-genre by far.

THIS IS SPINAL TAP

Hilarious from start to finish, especially if you’re a music fan or in the know concerning metal/hard rock from the 70’s and early 80’s. The interaction between the cast members is epic. Considering that the majority of the movie is improvised it’s practically genius, one of a kind. According to Dave Mustaine it’s hilarious because it’s basically true. Where would we be without humour ?

TOUS LES MATINS DU MONDE (All the Mornings in this World)

As far a French movie themes go there’s nothing suprising: death, betrayal, abandonment and unrequited love. However, the presentation is pictorial and the treatment of the themes is sublime. The movie conveys the concept that music has a far more elevated benefit than mere entertainment, it’s not surprising that the soundtrack is amazing.

BLADERUNNER

A feast for the eyes and the mind.

OMEGA MAN (1971)

Not a popular choice I’d imagine, but it was the first movie I saw with an apocalyptic theme. I think I just love movies from that period (late 60’s to late 70’s) with dystopian/apocalyptic settings; Planet of the Apes, Rollerball (75), Farenheit 451, Mad Max etc.

DOGMA (1999)

IMO a truthful and amusing appraisal of organised religion from a philosophical angle. Plus Salma Hayek, the ultimate pocket rocket.

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

I saw this as a kid when it was released in ’80. The entire experience was mesmerizing. I’ll still be re-watching it if I reach 80 myself. The characters are just perfect in their simplicity and purity and unburdened by over sophistication. For me personally the best fantasy science fiction movie yet…. period.

A few others: Scanners (’81), Amadeus, Jean de Florete, In the Name of the Rose, Betty Blue, Platoon, Salem’s Lot (’79),
Les Diaboliques (’55) Deliverance etc…..

MinionZombie
23-Apr-2013, 05:01 PM
Well, I went and did my 2013 tweaks to my Top 50 list of favourite films.
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/my-top-50-films-of-all-time-2012-update.html

It's not what I personally deem to be the "best" movies ever made, it's merely my own personal favourites - movies I could watch at any time at the drop of a hat and ones I personally hold dear and close to my heart for whatever reason.

I've seen many different kinds of films, and many have impressed me greatly, such as Downfall or Yojimbo or The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari or Singing in the Rain or Neighbours (the short Canadian film from 1952, not the soap opera!) - or more recently Das Boot, and Taxidermia - but they're not ones that I could watch many times over, or at the drop of a hat. There's a big difference between what I think is "best" and what I know to be my "favourite".

Just as an example off the top of my head, within the Evil Dead franchise, I'd say that Evil Dead 2 is the "best" one of the three, but my "favourite" is The Evil Dead (the first one).

Anyway - in short, the 2013 update consists of the following:

New Additions: The Shawshank Redemption (#31-40), The Big Lebowski (#41-50), The Shining (#41-50) and Casino Royale (#41-50).

Swapped: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" has been swapped with "The Evil Dead" (#1-20).

Honourable Mentions: "2001", "Enter The Void", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", "WALL.E", and "Battle Royale" have been moved/added to the Honourable Mentions.

LouCipherr
23-Apr-2013, 05:31 PM
Neighbours (the short Canadian film from 1952, not the soap opera!)

http://www.cmgww.com/stars/belushi/images/gallery/NB_P024.jpg

:D

bassman
23-Apr-2013, 07:05 PM
My top ten varies from time to time. The only constant is Ghostbusters at number one.

Some others near the top are (of course)Dawn and Day, Fight Club, To Kill A Mockingbird, and Ben Hur.

Neil
23-Apr-2013, 08:23 PM
ALIENI'm more of an Aliens sort of guy.

OMEGA MAN (1971)Not sure I'd put it in my top 10, but it would be pretty close. Love it!

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACKI think for sheer impact on me as a young kid, one of the Star Wars films would have to feature in my top ten 10. Empire used to be my least favourite, but it's grown on me over the years.

Ben Hur.I think Ben Hur would be in (or very close) to my top ten. It would wrestle for its place I guess with Spartacus which I see as a sort of cousin to it for some reason. Absolutely astounding pieces of film making!

6. The Battle of BritainI love this film too!

CoinReturn
25-Apr-2013, 01:38 PM
If I could only watch 10 films the rest of my life, these would be my choices. Some of them are downright terrible in a technical sense, but they've got a certain re-watchability about them that makes them my favorites:

Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
American Movie: The Making of Northwestern
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky
Samurai Cop
Deadly Prey
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
Jackie Chan's Who Am I?
Rumble In the Bronx
Jurassic Park

Mike70
27-Apr-2013, 03:58 PM
not really in any particular order:

Big Trouble in Little China
The Fog
Day of the Dead
Creepshow
Winter Light (Bergman)
Hour of the Wolf (Bergman)
Flammen og Citronen (Danish movie about resistance fighters in WWII who are killing nazi collaborators & sympathizers. Awesome movie on every level. the Danish resistance was my kind of stupid.)
Riget (Danish. known in english as "The Kingdom")
The Gorgon (old Hammer flick. cushing, lee, troughton, enough said.)
Son of Frankenstein

- - - Updated - - -

American Movie: The Making of Northwestern

that is a great movie. you have to admire dreamers who won't give it up. his fat friend steals the flick out from under him though.

shootemindehead
27-Apr-2013, 05:14 PM
Flammen og Citronen (Danish movie about resistance fighters in WWII who are killing nazi collaborators & sympathizers. Awesome movie on every level. the Danish resistance was my kind of stupid.)

I have this in my DVD collection downstairs and for some reason I've never watched it...which is just weird.

I'll have to give it a spin at some stage soon.

Mike70
27-Apr-2013, 06:47 PM
I have this in my DVD collection downstairs and for some reason I've never watched it...which is just weird.

I'll have to give it a spin at some stage soon.

watch it immediately! :lol: it's a great, great movie. the two main characters are based on two real life resistance hitmen. it's a movie about moral certainty and being a true believer in things like freedom, individual choice and that NOTHING is out of bounds when dealing with animals like the nazis and those who supported/collaborated with them.

The Flame's grave reads:
"IN MEMORY OF THE FREEDOM FIGHTER 'FLAMMEN' BENDT FAURSCHOU-HVIID BORN 7-1 1921 DIED 18-10 1944 THE BEST MUST DIE".

Citron's is a bit more poetic:
FOR ALLE GODE TANKER
DE KAN SLET IKKE DØ
FØR ENDNU BEDRE TANKER
ER SPIRED AF DERES FRØ

it rhymes in Danish but in english it's: for all good thoughts can never die before even better thoughts spring from their seeds.

here ends the lesson in Danish history. :lol: