PDA

View Full Version : The Who vs Led Zeppelin

Trancelikestate
29-Apr-2013, 09:06 AM
The poll to end all polls. Actually I thought since there are so many UK members it would be a fun question to ask. You guys ever hear people talk about which English group is better? For me it's not even close. Led Zep all the way and I would think anyone with ears would agree. Not that The Who is a bad band, it's just Zep is so god damn good. Ok, go!

rongravy
29-Apr-2013, 12:41 PM
I can't stand Robert Plant's voice myself. Always had friends trying to make me listen to them.
I'm also a wayyyyyyyy bigger fan of The Who anyway.
See me...
Feel me-hee-hee...

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2013, 01:13 PM
What? No Nugent!?

Morto Vivente
29-Apr-2013, 02:41 PM
I can't stand Robert Plant's voice myself. Always had friends trying to make me listen to them.
I'm also a wayyyyyyyy bigger fan of The Who anyway.
See me...
Feel me-hee-hee...

I have to agree with rongravy about which is the better voice. As far as the songs go I like tracks by both. Although IMO as a musician John Bonham is a far superior drummer compared to Keith Moon.

Trancelikestate
29-Apr-2013, 08:16 PM
Nice. These two were the only options in the poll because seemingly there is a rivalry amongst fans? (not me). ;) And yes, Bonham is god.

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2013, 08:33 PM
Well, if you'd asked the teenage me, I would have said Zeppelin in a heartbeat, and The Who may be over-hyped, a bit, but I'd still have to give it to the Who. Though, to be fair, it's hard for me to pinpoint why. I just appreciate them quite a bit now and Zeppelin seems a bit more passe to me now.

Also, Baba O'Riley (especially some of the live recordings) is one of my fav songs of all time.

Why not The Stones? Because of the disparity in comparative talent (as far as technical expertise, I mean)?

Meh. I'm definitely more of a fan of The Kinks, either way. Ahead of their time, they was.

Morto Vivente
29-Apr-2013, 09:39 PM
Nice. These two were the only options in the poll because seemingly there is a rivalry amongst fans? (not me). ;) And yes, Bonham is god.

Is it the decades old rivalry between "mods" and "rockers" (god I hate those terms), or purely musical? The former was really a social thing in Britain, you know, like "punks" versus "skinheads". I don't know about the states but in the U.K. both groups would visit the coast and then proceed to knock the shit out of one another.

BTW I voted for Led Zep.....in a word BONHAM.

EvilNed
29-Apr-2013, 09:49 PM
Led Zeppelin.

ProfessorChaos
30-Apr-2013, 03:59 AM
the who. not a hard choice at all for me...but i still think the beatles are in a whole other level compared to like every band ever. just throwing that out there....

shootemindehead
30-Apr-2013, 09:00 AM
Never liked either really.

Morto Vivente
30-Apr-2013, 10:52 AM
the who. not a hard choice at all for me...but i still think the beatles are in a whole other level compared to like every band ever. just throwing that out there....

As far as songwriting and being an innovative recording act is concerned their contribution to modern music is undeniably vast, partly due to George Martin. But as a live band i.e. four musicians getting up on a stage and just doing it, they weren't that great. Lennon himself used to say to the support acts "Don't hang around to see us....We stink." IMO from the perspective of live performance both The Who and Led Zep would make The Beatles appear like a bar band, both The Who and Led Zep had a lot more charisma.

If I could have seen all 3 of these bands at their peak I'd choose Led Zep or The Who way before The Beatles. A Beatles gig would be like one big estrogen bath.... I can't scream that high and even they were sick of it by '66.

krisvds
30-Apr-2013, 03:19 PM
Zeppelin.

bassman
30-Apr-2013, 03:36 PM
Zeppelin all the way....

LouCipherr
30-Apr-2013, 06:47 PM

^ This.

Mike70
01-May-2013, 04:03 PM

ditto. blown way out of proportion, the both of them. jimmy page is probably the most overrated guitar player of all time. the who have some great songs but unfortunately, for every great song they have 3 that suck. zeppelin is not worth wasting another line on.

capncnut
14-May-2013, 07:47 PM
Now this really does depend on mood...

http://youtu.be/ZFvQ3bWLQBo
If I want my classic-era rawk all mindless and loose, then it's The Who hands down.

http://youtu.be/O0OPKywMoSk
If I want it tight, technical and proggy, then I go for the Zep.

...I didn't vote because I love them both equally.