PDA

View Full Version : Depp as Kolchak, The Night Stalker?

wayzim
10-May-2013, 01:50 PM
My initial thought when I first heard this was: "Thank God Tim Burton isn't directing! "

That being said, I'm hoping that it will not be a send up of the original concept, or some unnecessarily over thought scenario like with the sad series remake ( with Stewart Townsend as Kolchak )

I can't quite wrap my brain around Depp playing a frumpy middle age reporter, downgraded from a respectable crime reporter to hack journalist - and can you guess how big a fan I am?
Anyway, as Chris Reeve was with Superman, Darren McGavin will always be Kolchak ( or the dad from A Christmas Story, but that's another thread ... ;) ) so this will be a tough nut to crack.

Edgar Wright ( of Shaun of The Dead fame ) has his work cut out for him ... fingers crossed.

Wayne Z

June 18th, 2005.
Cleveland, Ohio.
If and when this story hits the wire, the name within the byline will be quite different from the old war horse of a reporter, virtually at death’s door while covering the strangest event, ever to occur in the erratic history of my career.
But although a succession of occult incidents since the early seventies, had nearly caused my demise on more than one occasion, this time, as a pop culture icon proclaimed, It was personal.
Yes, I live to write again. While the aftereffect of my survival was not what this crotchety caretaker of the public trust would have wanted, perhaps it’s better than the other option ... Oblivion.

From a Kolchak fanfic written by yours truly, several years ago for a fan site.

shootemindehead
10-May-2013, 01:56 PM
Um...that might work Wayne. I thought he was good in 'The Ninth Gate'

But yes, thank god that Burton isn't directing, cos I am really sick of his cookie cutter pictures.

AcesandEights
10-May-2013, 02:55 PM

He did a wonderful job in the Ninth Gate, my non-Cthulhu, Cthulhuesque film of choice.

wayzim
10-May-2013, 02:56 PM

But yes, thank god that Burton isn't directing, cos I am really sick of his cookie cutter pictures.

I'd forgotten all about The Ninth Gate; which is strange as I really liked that movie alot, and that was one of his best performances - thanks for reminding me, shootem.

I mean, Kolchak is one of those shows which was iconic in a stealthy kind of way. It had two amazing tv movies, and a one trick series which was held together solely by McGavin's dedication alone. And except for the die-hards like myself, it's not the first thing that people think of when summing up McGavin's career.
The Night Stalker also got me back into studying myths and legends, since afterwards I needed to find what a Rakshasa was ( a type of ammoral Hindu spirit; often evil but not always. ) ... and I'm being such a geek right now.

Wayne Z

MoonSylver
10-May-2013, 03:48 PM
Eh...ah...um...hurm. I'm...ambivalent at best about Depp as Kolchack. :( :|

rongravy
10-May-2013, 07:53 PM
Damn it, I loved the old show. Anyone but Depp. Matters little whether he has Burton to help him ruin it.
Won't be seeing it.