PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! Les Revenants (TV series) - French supernatural drama series (aka "The Returned")

dracenstein
27-May-2013, 02:53 PM
A French tv series airing in the UK in June on Channel 4. I just saw the tv trailer for it just now, minus sound, and it looks good.

The English title is The Returned, but was formerly known as Rebound, may still be for US and other territories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Revenants_%28TV_series%29

7aNHFbC1OBc
Not the one I saw, but same series.

Apparently, it's based on a 2004 film.

Neil
28-May-2013, 08:58 AM
Looks interesting - Thanks!

ps: Where the US remake? :)

Neil
29-May-2013, 02:42 PM
Starts Sunday June 9th at 9pm - http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/05/channel-4-sets-uk-premiere-date-for-the-returned/

Publius
05-Jun-2013, 01:10 AM
It doesn't seem to be about zombies at all. Am I missing something?

Neil
05-Jun-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm slightly confused too! It sort of looks like dead people have returned, but it's unclear if they're basically normal, ghosts or zombies!??!

dracenstein
07-Jun-2013, 06:55 PM
First report(s) I read indicated that it was a zombie series, but I no longer think so. Neither do I believe they are ghosts. Undead, certainly.

Apologies about that.

Neil
07-Jun-2013, 07:50 PM
^^ I'll swear I've seen the word "zombie" in some articles about it?!

MinionZombie
08-Jun-2013, 10:08 AM
I'll give this a punt and see what it's about. Reading a bit more about it, it seems less like a "zombie" series and more like a supernatural series (indeed some have compared it to Twin Peaks in some ways) ... it sounds more like that dead people have returned, as if they'd never died, and they try to resume their normal lives. Doesn't sound like a "zombie" series to me, but it's pretty unclear what it's really about from the adverts (notice how the one Channel 4 have mostly shown shows only images with music ... thus hiding the fact it's in French with subtitles :lol:).

Neil
08-Jun-2013, 12:05 PM
I'll give this a punt and see what it's about. Reading a bit more about it, it seems less like a "zombie" series and more like a supernatural series (indeed some have compared it to Twin Peaks in some ways) ... it sounds more like that dead people have returned, as if they'd never died, and they try to resume their normal lives. Doesn't sound like a "zombie" series to me, but it's pretty unclear what it's really about from the adverts (notice how the one Channel 4 have mostly shown shows only images with music ... thus hiding the fact it's in French with subtitles :lol:).

Note the title - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9964915/Les-Revenants-Classy-French-zombies-take-over.html

Confusing!

Morto Vivente
08-Jun-2013, 01:17 PM
Thank goodness C4 went for the cheap option and decided on subtitles rather than dubbing. Personally I have issues with lip-sync, it's never good enough and extremely distracting.

All the confusion over what type of show this is has added to the mystique. I suspect it's a supernatural show, or rather supernatural zombies without a healthy appetite i.e. not the ghoul and haitian zombie fusion of GAR. Judging from the trailer the show seems quite interesting, I'll certainly give it a shot. I wonder if they'll ultimately reveal the source of the zombification like "Pet Semetary" ?

Neil
08-Jun-2013, 04:31 PM
^^ I hate dubbing too!

MinionZombie
08-Jun-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm fine with dubbing, personally, as long as it's done well. Sometimes I like to watch things dubbed, sometimes I like to watch things in their original language - I don't get the attitude towards dubbing generally, because countless countries around the world watch English language content with locally dubbed voices.

I wouldn't watch Downfall with dubbed voices, but - as an example - I watched the Japanese action/fantasy movie "Versus", and the main character is a total badass in it, and while his dubbed voice matches the image, the actor's real voice doesn't (weirdly enough) as the real voice of the actor sounds too soft for the sort of character he's playing.

Sometimes dubbing can be awful - but in those cases they've done it very cheaply, hired useless voice actors, and not bothered to get it right ... but you look at things like the Sergio Leone westerns where they picked the right voices, and even changed lines of dialogue to fit the lips of the actor in the scene (e.g. "more feeling" in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly).

So yeah - not averse to subtitles or dubbing - it's whatever suits the type of film better in my own personal view. Another comparison would be watching Das Boot in it's original German, but watching The Raid with dubbed voices (I've seen some better dubs, but also many worse dubs).

Back to that Telegraph article - yeah, it doesn't sound like "zombies" to me - at all - it definitely sounds supernatural, instead. Also - a soundtrack by Mogwai? AWESOME SAUCE. :cool:

dracenstein
08-Jun-2013, 08:31 PM
It seems that even tv guide magazines are calling it a 'zombie' series.

So how do we define a 'zombie' in the 21st Century?

Morto Vivente
09-Jun-2013, 12:13 AM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGhXDILCQAEaHU2.jpg:large

;)

In all seriousness though I don't think this show will stray too far from the magical/supernatural
variety of zombie. I'm pretty sure they're not flesh-eaters though, they appear to be normal in the eyes of the community when they initially come back from the dead. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2013, 11:02 AM
But TV guide magazines etc have piss-all idea what a zombie is anyway, to say that they're ill-informed on the subject would be an understatement. :p

Nothing that I've seen or read about this show suggests "zombies" - it clearly looks supernatural instead.

dracenstein
09-Jun-2013, 09:34 PM
Just seen it. I wouldn't call them zombies, but it's pretty good.

And that kid is spooky...When the woman was going to call the police and he just looked at her...

Morto Vivente
11-Jun-2013, 04:10 PM
Just seen it. I wouldn't call them zombies, but it's pretty good.

And that kid is spooky...When the woman was going to call the police and he just looked at her...

I've tried to watch "The Returned", unsuccessful as yet with the country restrictions, still searching for a vpn option. To me it seems that the mainstream press in the UK have just avoided using the word revenant and replaced it with zombie. What's the point in simplifying a description by one syllable only to ultimately confuse the whole concept, at least for me. Just because zombies have been popular for many years now, anything that's returned from the dead, unless it has fangs is labelled a "zombie". Call them what they are! Patronizing twats.

Update:

Finally watched this show. They're not zombies of any variety. Guess what....They're revenants! Imagine that.

I still enjoyed the show though.

MinionZombie
13-Jun-2013, 09:57 AM
Finally got around to watching Sunday's first episode - I really dug it.

And yeah - not zombies in any way, shape, or form - even a cursory glance at Wikipedia's plot description for the show could have told those lazy journos that, geez!

Anyway - very strange, very mysterious, very atmospheric, and very intriguing.

Regarding Camille and Lena:
Nice twist near the end when it was revealed that they're in fact twins, and it's been 4 years since the bus crash, but then - as was proferred in a suggestive bit of dialogue - it seems that Camille and Lena switched identities for that day so Camille could hang out with that boy, who was thinking he was there for Lena ... plus it seems they have a psychic connection of some sort (the one on the bus felt something as the one at home was losing her virginity) ... but then also think about it, "Lena" who is drinking like a fish is most likely Camille, and for four years she has had to hide a relatively innocent little lie and live the life of her sister as her parents grieve her, and not her sister ... if that makes sense? Twisty stuff!

And yes ... "Victor" is a creepy looking little blighter, isn't he?

I'm very glad I started watching this now - and clearly it's a supernatural show about revenants, as Morto says. :) As such, I've moved the thread into general "Media" discussion and tweaked the thread title. :cool:

Morto Vivente
13-Jun-2013, 07:42 PM
Finally got around to watching Sunday's first episode - I really dug it.Anyway - very strange, very mysterious, very atmospheric, and very intriguing.

If the show maintains the same standard as the 1st episode I think this will be a great series. There's a few personal themes and reactions for the different living-revenant-relationships within the plot so far.

The other revenants:

It's interesting that the revenants have all died at different points in the town's history. For instance the boyfriend character Simon who ends up in the cemetery, where his own gravestone reveals that he died 10 years earlier,and also that this isn't the first time he's came back (distraught girlfriend). Whereas this appears to be Camille's, or as MZ pointed out, probably LENA'S first return with the others. Great twist and a very engaging episode!

I'm certainly looking forward to the next installment. :)

Neil
13-Jun-2013, 10:05 PM
^^ It doesn't necessarily mean he's come back before? She may have had 'episodes' before?

Morto Vivente
13-Jun-2013, 11:13 PM
@ Neil

True, I should have said possibly. The sudden appearance of Victor on the mountain road and also that he seems to be from a much earlier time made me think that the bus accident occurred during a previous "return" for him. That coupled with the distraught girlfriend "It's happening again", and the different times of death got me thinking that some of the revenants had returned before. The sign of a good mystery though....speculation. But yeah it is pure speculation on my part.

MinionZombie
14-Jun-2013, 10:03 AM
@Morto - good point - I hadn't even thought about the 'different revenants from different times' angle.

There's lots of intriguing ideas and chilling moments in this show too:
Like the girl who is murdered in the underpass - no doubt she'll come back - but who was her attacker, what was their motive, etc? ... and then when Mr Costa tied up his revenant and burned his house down - only for the firemen to say nobody was in the house at all - and then him jumping off the dam ... so will Mr Costa come back as well?!

Ooh, it is intriguing ... plenty of mystery and lots of possibilities and some really cool "ooh" ideas dotted around to boot. :)

Hopefully the quality holds up for the remainder of the series.

Morto Vivente
15-Jun-2013, 07:40 PM
@MZ. More speculation:

I agree, the murdered girl will no doubt be back. Maybe violent or untimely deaths are the catalyst? As for Mr Costa, I was thinking that he may not "return" because he willingly tries to "destroy the connection to his revenant" by setting the fire and burning the photographs, like some sort of cleansing? Plus he takes his own life unlike Lena/Camille, or the murder victim. Incidentally I loved the reanimated butterfly sequence when Mr Costa first appears, and the black and white photograph of "his revenant" is displayed on the table beside him. It must be his wife or daughter, maybe his sister?

kidgloves
19-Jun-2013, 06:46 PM
Watched the 1st 2 episodes last night.
Excellent.
Got me hooked right in.

MinionZombie
20-Jun-2013, 10:00 AM
Another cracking episode.

What's with the woman with the scars on her belly - she must have been someone who was attacked by that killer, but is she also a revenant?

I'm now wondering if the 'twins swapping identities' theory is a bust - am I right in reading the 2nd episode that Lena is indeed Lena and likewise for Camile? Lena had her photo taken with Simon, and she then saw and recognised that photo again years later in the present day in the bar.

What's up with the killer, his Dad, and all that, eh?

It's good how they're keeping the pace of the show going ... it's a gradual sort of mystery, but it never ever feels like it stops. We're always getting a new nugget of information, or a new mystery, or a new question, or a partial answer, or just some really cool idea/image presented to us ... aye - very cool.

Also - blimey, that woman across the hall is a right nosey bitch, isn't she? :lol:

Morto Vivente
20-Jun-2013, 11:01 PM
Loving this show. Aside from the really important stuff such as characters and plot the location is also spectacular. We got to see much more coverage of the village and surrounding area in episode 2 (considering most of the 1st episode took place at night), a fantastic landscape.

Good point, creepy Vic's surrogate mother could also be a revenant! And yeah, I think Lena and Camille haven't swapped identities. Shame it could have been a great plot device from what we've seen so far.

Is the older guy definitely the killer's father? Possibly an older brother who's now even older? Anyway, whatever the relationship it looks like there could be some cool plot stuff. He seems to have been a prime suspect for the previous attacks/killings before they mysteriously stopped. Maybe the father/brother of the killer "took him out" because he realized what was going on after becoming an interest for the cops? Hence the business end of the spade when they first meet again, or maybe he just likes panning ghosts with large implements? :lol:

Looking forward to Sunday's episode. :)

MinionZombie
21-Jun-2013, 10:43 AM
Agreed, the setting is really cool - particularly the image of the dam looming over the town - and what's happening with the water level? Hmmm...

I'm pretty sure the bar owner is the killer's Dad - when they were talking he either addressed him directly as such, or the context of their discussion led me to strongly believe that - e.g. talking about his mother dying a while back ... oh and yeah, the fact that the son was there too/died at the same time as the mother ... another mini mystery!

Two crackin' episodes in a row - I saw a trailer for it when channel-hopping, and some of the preview shots suggested some really cool scenes/ideas in future episodes ... so I'm also very much looking forward to seeing how it continues to evolve. :)

dracenstein
21-Jun-2013, 07:31 PM
I think the bar owner is the killer's brother...

A good episode again.

And how did 'Victor' jump from the window to be inside the building when the woman went looking for him?

Morto Vivente
23-Jun-2013, 12:24 AM
And how did 'Victor' jump from the window to be inside the building when the woman went looking for him?

Yup!.... He's Creepy Vic.

dracenstein
24-Jun-2013, 08:42 PM
Another good episode.

Was that the late Mrs Costa at her husband's funeral?

Julie survived an attack by the serial killer years back, is that why 'Victor' adopted her?

I liked the cats were eating Julie's nosey neighbour at the end.

They are finally looking to see where the water was disappearing in the dam.

I think the dam is safe itself, otherwise we would see water gushing out the other side. For now, at least.

And Simon's ex-bride-to-be, forget her name, now realising that somebody else saw him, therefore he's not a vision. So she snogs him at the end of episode, unaware her boyfriend is watching on cctv - and that he suspects Simon of being the serial killer.

And 'Victor' again, what was that about the serial killer attacking Julie by the lift? Why did he have Julie hallucinating that?

Morto Vivente
25-Jun-2013, 12:47 AM
Agreed, another entertaining mysterious episode with more questions than answers.

I also wondered if that was Mr Costa's wife in the background. I suspect she's the revenant he tried to kill in episode 1 by setting the fire before he "topped" himself. If so, she's either immune to fire or she can teleport. :lol:

I was thinking that the current fianceé of Adelé actually know's exactly who Simon is, he obviously knows Adelé's past being a cop in a small community, but can't understand what the hell is going on. I think he wanted to keep them separated by keeping Simon detained. Simon's been dead for 10 years whereas the killings stopped less than 10 years ago. Assuming Sergé was killing right up until his death which I suspect was the case the current fianceé pretty much knows that Simon isn't the killer. I believe his reasons for keeping him locked up were purely personal. Would you let the woman your about to marry hang out with someone you suspect to be a serial killer?

Ahh, my favourite....."Creepy Vic". It seems he could have the ability to pull memories from people's minds. Seeing as Julie actually saw Sergé from the bus hours earlier, the memory of the attack was probably running through her mind when she crept downstairs with the scissors. What is it with women and scissors?

I agree Draco, Victor's attachment to Julie is probably due to the attack she experienced. I suspect we'll find out that the revenants have all experienced sudden or violent deaths.

The weird thing is it looked like the nosey neighbour had been killed in the same manner as Sergé's victims. What has Creepy Vic been up to?

Also Victor was in front of the coach on the day of the accident. Did he die then also? Personally I don't think so. I believe he was already dead. All the other revenants seem to have a significant relationship to come back to, i.e. a partner or family. I wouldn't be surprised if all Vic's family are already dead because he's the oldest revenant so to speak.

A nice touch that Julie's ex-girlfriend (the cop who came to her door) was Batman to her Catwoman on the night of the attack.

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2013, 09:55 AM
I've changed the tag on the thread's title to say it includes spoilers.

Just out of ease, and particularly as it's just a few of us in this thread.

Anyway - the third episode - yep, another good one.

What's with the scar on Lena's back - what's that about, and was it getting larger? Also, there was almost a weird hint in the dialogue that the idea of a Lena/Camille identity switch might still be on the cards ... I'm not entirely sure, but episode two seemed to nix that idea. :confused:

It's slightly confusing at times, because obviously the revenants are the age at when they died, so that guy in the pub is the older brother of the pair, but he's much younger looking of course (so aye, that pub manager is indeed his brother, and not his father ... there's so much to keep track of in this show! :D)

Finally, that nosey parker next door gets what's coming to her, sticking her bloody oar into everything. :elol:

Really digging this show - and the music is really cool too (by Mogwai).

BYSdLYmfQG4

Morto Vivente
25-Jun-2013, 03:15 PM
I also wondered if the scar on Lena/Camille's back was getting bigger. It seems to have, I can't think why they'd draw attention to it twice in the same episode otherwise. However, there's so much going on in this show so who knows?

I agree the music by Mogwai suits the show really well, great atmospherics. There was also a great track by the Cure playing when Lena and Camille are talking in the bedroom. No surprise really in a french teenager's bedroom. Bob Smith, a living legend. IMO one of the best songwriters ever!

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2013, 06:39 PM
I also wondered if the scar on Lena/Camille's back was getting bigger. It seems to have, I can't think why they'd draw attention to it twice in the same episode otherwise. However, there's so much going on in this show so who knows?

I agree the music by Mogwai suits the show really well, great atmospherics. There was also a great track by the Cure playing when Lena and Camille are talking in the bedroom. No surprise really in a french teenager's bedroom. Bob Smith, a living legend. IMO one of the best songwriters ever!

cwA8V6hcqQo

I'm not really into The Cure, but I did get the Disintegration album because of the above scene - and it's a really bloody good album ... admittedly it's been a while since I listened to it (been distracted by many other musicians/bands/soundtracks etc in recent years) ... but yeah, it is a ruddy good album.

If memory serves they show the scar three times - once in Lena's room, once in the school changing room, and once in the Lake Pub - and yeah, I'm pretty damn sure it was looking longer in the Lake Pub scene that it did in the bedroom scene ... oh, the intrigue and mystery of it all! :)

On the soundtrack of the show, this is my favourite track (IIRC they've used it in all three episodes so far):
Lu8b-EVTsZA

I wonder what will happen when the lake drains completely? Is it some sort of 'sand timer' situation? Is there a hidden mystery on the lake bed? Oh, I can't wait to find out! :hyper:

Morto Vivente
25-Jun-2013, 11:06 PM
"Hungry Face" is good. But "Wizard Motor" is dare I say, a stellar track. Not unlike parts of "Disintegration" in many ways. Great album btw, happens to be my favourite by the Cure. Incidentally if I recall that's the episode of "South Park" with the "Mecha-Streisand". :lol:

I get the feeling the decreasing depth of the lake is central to the whole story, quite the mystery. :confused:

Also 3 scenes focusing on the scar; it has to be pretty major in the terms of the plot.

With this show plus "Under the Dome" it's almost enough current "telly" to keep me going until TWD returns.

MinionZombie
26-Jun-2013, 10:24 AM
In my Sky+ programme guide they had a placeholder synopsis for the next episode - and it did say that the scar is growing - so yes, it would seem that our eyes weren't deceiving us.

*sticks on "Wizard Motor" again* :cool:

Morto Vivente
02-Jul-2013, 10:22 PM
A few questions possibly answered in this weeks episode based on some mild assumptions. With this show it seems you can't be too sure.

1. Victor is the "oldest revenant" so far. With the exception of Mr Costa's possible wife?
Assuming that was her at the funeral in episode 3.

2. Victor has some psychic ability, seeing as the nosey neighbour killed herself (it appears)in
his presence in the same manner as the attacks.

3. Simon drilled his own melon assuming fiancee is telling the truth, which I think is the case
taking Simon's daughter's drawing into account.

4. Cop fiancee definitely knows who he (Simon) is.

5. Also, I'm not so sure that the Camille/Lena switch is a "no go". Could this be the reason
why the father supposedly hit "Lena" because he found out through Lucy Clarsen (medium
and attempted murder victim) that "Lena" actually is Camille? What is it with that scar,
there's obviously something going on between them?

Great reveal that the "Helping Hand" administrator was the criminal talking to Vic at the time of his murder.

Another great episode IMO. :)

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2013, 09:54 AM
Aye, another cracker of an episode - the reveal of the Helping Hands guy was quite a good twist. There's enough mysteries going on in the show that it successfully distracts you from thinking of these possibilities ahead of time, so when they come along, you get the surprise at exactly the right and intended time. :)

That's a good theory regarding Lena/Camille and the hitting incident - you could be right - it seems credible to me. That scar's properly messed up ... rather grim! I assume that the killer in the underpass is not going to kill Lena, and instead look after her (kidnap her).

Half-way through the series and it's still proceeding very nicely - hopefully it'll hold up for the remainder (I don't see why not). :)

Morto Vivente
03-Jul-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah I agree, I don't think the killer will just "off her" right there.

So there's only eight episodes, I assume "they got a second season". :lol: I'm guessing all these questions we have won't be answered in the next 4 episodes. I hope that if the writers give a unifying cause/explanation for the revenants, it holds up under the dramatic build up they've created. I don't get the feeling that they would allow it to collapse. :)

dracenstein
15-Jul-2013, 08:03 PM
There will be a second series being filmed early next year for presumably domestic transmission later that year. I am presumbing Victor will not be in it as child actors grow very fast (see Game of Thrones, partically Bran).

More good stuff this week, Camille being 'outed', Victor developing scars, oh, Camille's coffin full of water.

And Lena running into a crowd of revenants at the end...

One thing I like about this series is that they are not afraid of showing nudity (including male nudity) whereas The Walking Dead, despite showing some good gore scenes guaranteeing an adult audience, runs away from showing nudity.

MinionZombie
16-Jul-2013, 09:54 AM
Well I suppose the nudity issue is down to the Americans :sneaky: ... it's weird, you can show endless gore at any time of day and get a TV-14 rating (meanwhile it's rated 18 in the UK and has to be shown after the watershed) ... similarly, TWD has very little swearing, and absolutely no F words. Whereas Les Revenants is European, so sex and bad words aren't a big deal, so Simon can flap his todger around as much as he likes. :lol:

Yep - it continues to be a good show - only two episodes left in this series though! The bit where those two parents hang themselves was quite creepy - Camille tries to give them peace in life, but they take her words and top themselves to join their kid as he's "waiting" for them.

Yeah - what's with this gang in the woods, eh? Creepy stuff indeed - and the previous episode where all those animals jumped into the lake and drowned ... weird and creepy stuff. I wonder where it's all going...?

Morto Vivente
19-Jul-2013, 01:04 AM
More good stuff this week, Camille being 'outed', Victor developing scars, oh, Camille's coffin full of water.

Yeah, I noticed the water too. Could it mysteriously be from the lake? There seemed to be water only inside the coffin. :confused:

One thing I like about this series is that they are not afraid of showing nudity (including male nudity) whereas The Walking Dead, despite showing some good gore scenes guaranteeing an adult audience, runs away from showing nudity.

I totally agree man. From a non-sexist no gender bias viewpoint it's refreshing that "tits and todger" are treated equally and it's not just boobs for the boys. To be expected in a French/European production but refreshing nevertheless.

The bit where those two parents hang themselves was quite creepy - Camille tries to give them peace in life, but they take her words and top themselves to join their kid as he's "waiting" for them.

I found that scene really quite sad. :( I'm not suggesting this as part of the show, but imagine if their kid did come back, depressing eh?

Yeah - what's with this gang in the woods, eh? Creepy stuff indeed - and the previous episode where all those animals jumped into the lake and drowned ... weird and creepy stuff. I wonder where it's all going...?

I suspect the gang in the woods are "residents" from the village under the lake, as to where it's all going....I don't have the foggiest!
Great isn't it? :D

BTW, loved the scene with the animals suspended in the lake, very peaceful and yet haunting at the same time. :)
All this business with the scars has my head spinning. Is Lena somatizing Camille's scar because they possibly have some sort of psychic link, being twins, (episode 1, one twin experiences the other's orgasm)? Now Victor's developing a scar too, WTF.

The Lucy Clarsen character is just so French (IMO), I mean having psychic visions while on the job! :lol:

dracenstein
25-Jul-2013, 08:05 PM
The penultimate episode;

Camille shocked by the consequences of her little lie and Mrs de Costa seemingly to enjoy it.

The serial killer (Serge? forgotten) dragged beneath the lake.

Lena (I was going to say, 'obviously survived her encounter with the group of revenants', but did she? Or did she return as a revenant?) reunited with her family.

Simon feeling a little peckish. Both Simon and Camille, Victor too, were developing scars or decaying flesh, are they returning to their grave-like appearances?

The women trying to escape the town with Victor, but going round in circles. I think Victor isn't being allowed to leave, but I'm not sure if Julie isn't being allowed to leave, either.

And Lucy meeting the revenants in the Lake Club...

Also noticed the Lake Club sign was in English...

And now waiting for the last episode, where everything is cleared up....doubt it, probably more questions to be answered.

MinionZombie
30-Jul-2013, 09:55 AM
The accelerator was pulled back on ever-so-slightly in the last couple of episodes, but the series one finale was pedal-to-the-metal stuff. Another fantastic episode which had it going out as strongly as it came in - I can't wait to see the second series!

So Victor is actually called Louis, we've now met his Mum, and we know why he's so attached to Julie (because she looks like the fairy on his storybook, which was really quite sweet) ... Toni was 'killed by Serge' via one of Victor/Louis' mind-warping visions that he can muster, and Simon's going over to the dark side because of that Lucy Clarsen girl ... I don't like her ... she's weird and creepy and she's up to no good if you ask me. :shifty:

It's always good to get a little bit of a firmer grip on the overall story too - we find out that the mature lady whose husband flung himself off the dam (forget her name) must have died somewhere 35 years prior as she turned up at the evacuation camp, and it was cool to see Serge and Toni as children playing silly buggers on the stretchers to scare Victor/Louis ... perhaps we also know why Victor/Louis never sleeps. Are the revenants affected by what they were feeling when they died? Oh - and then Serge and Toni's mother finally turning up in the Helping Hand's basement medical bay - did Serge find her and bring her back after he went under the water?

Some very creepy images - the horde emerging from the fog on top of the dam, then approaching the Helping Hand (the horde also smashed up The Lake Pub) ... and the division of the living and the dead was really quite well done. It was a very gripping scene - if only Channel 4 didn't insist on shoving another advert break right in the middle of the exchange! - So we've got Camille being joined by her mother, and Julie joining Victor/Lous ... but Adele is pregnant with Simon's baby, and the baby is either a revenant or some combination (I'm figuring the latter - maybe the solution to how the revenants can survive forever, or become human again?)

Chilling ending too - the town was flooded overnight - in revenge for them not handing over Adele? Did the dam burst, or perhaps the horde was somehow keeping the water that was disappearing from the lake somewhere to use for this purpose? Oh, the mystery! :)

Yeah, this series has been bloody good - I'm so glad I started watching it - I've been hooked throughout.

dracenstein
01-Aug-2013, 07:51 PM
I missed the pre-opening titles bit, but liked the final, but wished we had a couple answers, why did the horde want the other dead? How could Lucy, and others, just disappear when Camille couldn't?

And about the other dead, why was one drinking out of the toilet at the Lake Pub (pub sign apparently in English)?

No bodies outside the Helping Hand, so were the police killed or taken away? And something I read on the IMDb page, no bullets either...

Lucy didn't ask for Serge so I presume that since they pulled him under the lake last episode, he was 'enlisted' into the horde. But Toni hasn't resurrected yet, is that why Serge and their mother are still waiting?

Looking forward to the next season...

BillyRay
08-Aug-2013, 04:10 AM
Perhaps somebody else said, and I missed it. I'm pretty certain that this is a TV series version of a 2004 film. saw the film on dvd awhile back; very atmospheric but no outright "Horror" elements.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4cY1246AWk

MinionZombie
08-Aug-2013, 10:25 AM
Yeah I've heard about that. Read a review of it on DVDTimes and they said that it was alright - good in some regards, bad in others - but that the TV series is far superior to it. As such I won't bother watching the movie (although I saw a couple of faces that are familiar from the show, in that trailer). The show is absolutely excellent, so I wouldn't want to affect my enjoyment of it by seeing an inferior version of the material, you know?

Really looking forward to series 2. :)

Crappingbear
03-Sep-2013, 07:52 AM
The film was one of the more interesting "zombie" films....ever. What happens if your loved one comes back and is half ass normal and wants their old bedroom and job back? No idea what the tv series did with it.

Neil
03-Sep-2013, 09:17 AM
The film was one of the more interesting "zombie" films....ever. What happens if your loved one comes back and is half ass normal and wants their old bedroom and job back? No idea what the tv series did with it.

When you talk about a film, are you referring to this? - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378661/

MinionZombie
03-Sep-2013, 09:28 AM

Crappingbear, is that you? What a sight for old eyes...

Anyway - the TV show was excellent. I've not seen the original movie version of it, but I've read that by comparison the TV show is much better and gets far more into the characters and the possibilities of the situation. I absolutely loved the TV show - if you can, you should definitely check it out.

Woo, Revenants! :cool:

Neil
03-Sep-2013, 10:07 AM
Crappingbear, is that you? What a sight for old eyes...

Anyway - the TV show was excellent. I've not seen the original movie version of it, but I've read that by comparison the TV show is much better and gets far more into the characters and the possibilities of the situation. I absolutely loved the TV show - if you can, you should definitely check it out.

Woo, Revenants! :cool:

I found the series just a too slow/pondering... After about 3 episodes my interest waned :(

MinionZombie
03-Sep-2013, 11:33 AM
I found the series just a too slow/pondering... After about 3 episodes my interest waned :(

Strange ... I always found the mystery was constantly evolving with little riddles solved at a regular pace, with larger mysteries clarified further without receiving an overall answer. I loved the vibe of the whole show, too.

Morto Vivente
08-Sep-2013, 11:16 PM
Finally watched the last 2 episodes of the season. The intrigue and storytelling pace certainly floundered in episode 7, however the final episode thankfully regained the show's footing. The horde of revenants descending on the Helping Hand followed by the stand-off and mysterious conclusion will hold my interest for season 2. Great show! :)

MinionZombie
09-Sep-2013, 09:42 AM
Finally watched the last 2 episodes of the season. The intrigue and storytelling pace certainly floundered in episode 7, however the final episode thankfully regained the show's footing. The horde of revenants descending on the Helping Hand followed by the stand-off and mysterious conclusion will hold my interest for season 2. Great show! :)

Agreed on all counts - episode 7 definitely did droop somewhat ... I think there wasn't quite enough for them to do in that episode, particularly considering that the finale was in the next episode, so they wouldn't have wanted to sap any juice from the eighth episode, but still, #7 was a tad soft by comparison.

Crackin' telly all-round though. :cool::thumbsup::cool: