PDA

View Full Version : Terminator: Genisys (film) - Terminator reboot

Neil
20-Jun-2013, 08:49 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/the-rock-may-terminate-his-wwe-future-to-battle-schwarzenegger-t5

Incredibly, Schwarzenegger may not play the role of a machine in the next film, but a potentially heroic human figure in or close to the Connor family. One theory is that Schwarzenegger's remarkable ability to protect the Connor family in the 1940s or 1950s with antiquated weaponry by today's standards ultimately inspired the machines to develop a terminator in his likeness that was eventually sent to 1984 when Sarah Connor was first targeted for termination.

Although this is purely speculation, the source contends, don't be surprised if T5 is dramatically unlike anything you've seen from the film franchise before.

From the evidence so far... Terminator - Cameron = fail

MoonSylver
20-Jun-2013, 09:30 PM
:( So sad for the "franchise" (Which everyone knows ended w/ T2...). The premise does sound vaguely interesting, but I can't say I really want to see it. T3= I'm done, thank you. :|

Neil
20-Jun-2013, 09:32 PM
I've not even seen McTwat's one...

MoonSylver
20-Jun-2013, 09:35 PM

Yeah, me either. And nothing I heard about it compelled me to either. :|

MinionZombie
21-Jun-2013, 10:48 AM
T4 looked snazzy enough, but everything else about it was pish ... rubbish script, total missed opportunity ... at least the trailer was awesome.

T3 is an utter abomination - all that "talk to the hand" bullshit - ugh, get out of my universe T3! :mad:

Yeah - T2 was the end of the entire Terminator story. They'd succeeded, the end. Everything after was bullshit ... although the TV show was alright, even if the middle portion of season two was intolerably dull.

Neil
28-Jun-2013, 08:06 AM
Reboot in 2015 - http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/terminator/26198/new-terminator-movie-release-date-trilogy-plans

this is going to be a "rebooted Terminator movie", going on to confirm that this will be "the first in a stand-alone trilogy".

A reboot with Arni? Hmmm... Surely he's too old now for a terminator...

MinionZombie
28-Jun-2013, 09:28 AM
Will we see a shot through his Terminator eyes where he selects an appropriate phrase? Such as:

* I'm too old for this shit.
* Ooh, me hip.
* I've got a bad back.
* Where have my teeth gone?
* Who are you again?

:rolleyes:

After the horrors of T3 and T4, I'm expecting utter bollocks for T5 ... and is it just me, or is anyone else getting fed up by the presumptuous Hollywood attitude of everything having to be a bloody trilogy before they've even started on the first one?

shootemindehead
28-Jun-2013, 10:20 AM
Trilogies make more money than stand alone films.

Nearly every big high concept film is pitched as a possible trilogy these days, cos the studios are only interested in the profit margins. Even if a film breaks even at the BO and manages to get decent sell through, the chances are that there will be sequels (usually of deminishing quality) in the offing. Usually a film has to suck real bad, like '28 Weeks Later', for the proposed trilogy to collapse. But, if that had done even slightly better, we would be suffering '28 Months Later'.

Neil
28-Jun-2013, 10:26 AM
Trilogies make more money than stand alone films.

Nearly every big high concept film is pitched as a possible trilogy these days, cos the studios are only interested in the profit margins. Even if a film breaks even at the BO and manages to get decent sell through, the chances are that there will be sequels (usually of deminishing quality) in the offing. Usually a film has to suck real bad, like '28 Weeks Later', for the proposed trilogy to collapse. But, if that had done even slightly better, we would be suffering '28 Months Later'.

Suffering? They weren't that bad... And I'd have to say the opening 5 mins of 28 Weeks Later is better than anything in WWZ for example... - http://vimeo.com/8597539

ProfessorChaos
28-Jun-2013, 11:07 AM
christ, a reboot? that kicks off a new trilogy? how predictable.....and f*cking stupid.

oh well, with diminishing returns, it's not like a sequel to the current series would have been worthwhile anyhow.

for me, that series will always be a joke, the only one i even really acknowledge is the original, which is a sci-fi classic.

Neil
28-Jun-2013, 12:38 PM
christ, a reboot? that kicks off a new trilogy? how predictable.....and f*cking stupid.

oh well, with diminishing returns, it's not like a sequel to the current series would have been worthwhile anyhow.

for me, that series will always be a joke, the only one i even really acknowledge is the original, which is a sci-fi classic.

You didn't rate no.2?

- - - Updated - - -

And here at the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23095529

Paramount Pictures said the fifth Terminator film, based on the original series starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, is due to be released in June 2015.

There was no official confirmation on who would direct or star in the forthcoming film.

However Schwarzenegger revealed earlier this month he would be returning to the role that made him a household name.

Speaking at an event in Sydney, Australia, the former governor of California said: "I'm very happy that the studios want me to be in Terminator 5 and to star as the Terminator, which we start shooting in January."

Only role I can see him in is as a human? He just won't pass as a terminator...

shootemindehead
28-Jun-2013, 03:07 PM
Suffering? They weren't that bad... And I'd have to say the opening 5 mins of 28 Weeks Later is better than anything in WWZ for example... - http://vimeo.com/8597539

The first one was great. The second one does start well, but goes rapidly downhill to stupid land.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed.

I only ever liked the first one myself.

They should just let this die off in peace.

AcesandEights
28-Jun-2013, 04:34 PM
Agreed.

I only ever liked the first one myself.

They should just let this die off in peace.

Second one was okay, pretty cool for an example of early 90s big budget cheese-fest...ranks right up there with Braveheart for roll your eyes moments, though :rolleyes: The third wasn't really good, but not as bad as so many make it out to be, and the last one I haven't even seen yet.

And, yeah, somebody should put a bullet in this franchise.

MinionZombie
28-Jun-2013, 07:04 PM
The third wasn't really good, but not as bad as so many make it out to be.

http://www.theterminatorfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/t3.png

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/965/965368/worst-three-quels-ever-20090323025309677.jpg

Nuff said. :D

LouCipherr
28-Jun-2013, 07:32 PM
Nuff said. :D

:lol: :thumbsup:

ProfessorChaos
28-Jun-2013, 09:15 PM
You didn't rate no.2?

T2 is a little too hollywood for me....i really liked it as a kid, but now i can barely stand it. 3 was pretty corny, salvation had a few good moments, but pissed all over the established mythology.

wayzim
28-Jun-2013, 10:22 PM
T4 looked snazzy enough, but everything else about it was pish ... rubbish script, total missed opportunity ... at least the trailer was awesome.

T3 is an utter abomination - all that "talk to the hand" bullshit - ugh, get out of my universe T3! :mad:

Yeah - T2 was the end of the entire Terminator story. They'd succeeded, the end. Everything after was bullshit ... although the TV show was alright, even if the middle portion of season two was intolerably dull.

I'm probably one of two people who were fans of The Sarah Connor Chronicles, especially after it nicely rebuted the piss on of Sarah in T3 ( She died of cancer? WTF? ) but also because I thought Lena Headey did a bang up job with the role. There were enough clever twists to keep it interesting for most of the series, and Shirley Manson as an industrialist/terminator?
I'm still geeking out over the sad termination of the show, just as it jumped the shark - sorry - got interesting again.

Wayne Z

MinionZombie
29-Jun-2013, 10:16 AM
@Wayzim - yeah, I don't know what went wrong with season 2 of T:SCC, it started strong, then got totally lost and had some mind-numbingly boring episodes where sod all happened, and then in the last handful they really pulled it back up (with a great finale) - but it was too late by that time. A shame.

I didn't consider it to be a part of T1 and T2 cannon, but as a kind of 'side universe' type thing. I dug it - in spite of some mistakes and wobbly bits - not the greatest show I've seen, but far from the worst, and it definitely got shit-canned too soon. If only they'd not got lost mid-season 2. I think 22 episodes for season 2 (going from a mere 9 in season 1), was too big a leap. I'm a really big fan of the 13-episode season style now, and I think that's ideal for any of these sorts of dramas. You're not kept hanging around waiting for things to progress, the writers don't have to fill all that extra space which slows everything down, and it's generally a much tighter structure to work with for a season arc. Agreed also on Lena Heady - she did a good job, and I also liked that they ignored T3's bullshit.

Neil
29-Jun-2013, 03:42 PM
T2 is a little too hollywood for me....i really liked it as a kid, but now i can barely stand it. 3 was pretty corny, salvation had a few good moments, but pissed all over the established mythology.

I really like T2!

ProfessorChaos
29-Jun-2013, 04:32 PM
^

don't get me wrong, i don't despise it or anything, it just feels too big-budget and cookie-cutter compared to the original. it just has such a summer blockbuster vibe and feels like it was made with intentions of toys, tie-ins, and whatnot.

it's definitely not as crappy as 3, but a few years back i jettisoned some of my dvds that were just gathering dust, and T2 was one that i (surprisingly, given my attachment to it as a kid) was able to easily put in the "gotta go" pile.

MinionZombie
29-Jun-2013, 05:08 PM
I really like T2!

Me too! I'd go so far as to say I love it, even.

I constantly switch back and forth between whether I dig T1 or T2 more (it usually depends on which one I saw most recently), but I figure I love them equally for different reasons. They provide different scales and attitudes. Dark & gritty? I'll watch T1. Vast with some more warmth to it? I'll watch T2 ... although T1 isn't devoid of warmth (e.g. Kyle and Sarah in the motel).

T2 is one of my all-time favourites. I've seen it so many times and I still love it ... it's almost like a familiar song to me, in that you can kinda 'watch along' with it (sing along/watch along) ... all the lines of dialogue, sound effects, music cues, edit points etc; it all plays out like a song to me because I'm so fond of & familiar with it, but also because the flick is tight as a drum.

Each to their own, absolutely ... even if it does boggle my mind.

T3 and T4 can suck it, though ... feck those movies.

AcesandEights
29-Jun-2013, 05:20 PM
^

don't get me wrong, i don't despise it or anything, it just feels too big-budget and cookie-cutter compared to the original. it just has such a summer blockbuster vibe and feels like it was made with intentions of toys, tie-ins.

I agree. When I saw it in the theater in 92, I thought it was great...a bit overcooked, but great. Now it's a guilty pleasure, that still manages to be surprisingly awesome in spots when I revisit it. But very cheesy, all the same.

ProfessorChaos
29-Jun-2013, 05:53 PM
i think what really does it for me about T2 is the whole bit about john connor teaching the terminator not to kill, the terminator making a comment about understanding why humans cry, etc. T2 is full of hokey bullshit about learning to understand emotions, cheesy one-liners, and almost feels family-friendly. while it has its moments, it pales in comparison to the sheer brutality and hopelessness of the original.

like MZ said, the original has a very ominous vibe to it, and the terminator seems like such an unstoppable machine of destruction, with only one function: to kill its target, no matter what the cost. "oh, my target is inside a police station full of armed police? fuck 'em....here we go." come to think of it, that's probably another big factor in the declining quality of these films. in T1, arnold was fresh off his body-building/steroids hey-day and seemed like such a force to be reckoned with....that, along with the previously mentioned "directive: KILL" mindset, if you will, of the terminator. even by T2, arnie had peaked physically, and looked a bit past his prime...then add in all the emotional bullshit about a machine learning to love, become a father-figure/protector plot, and it just falls flat.

as for a reboot/prequel/whatever shit ideas they're kicking around for the next name-rape, piss on all that. nothing they every spit out will even come close to the original. and i can't believe arnie is going to be making another appearance...dude has gotta be at least 60 years old now. save some face, man, and just hang it up.

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2013, 09:26 AM
Although to be fair in T2 they also have the T-1000, which is the one that goes around killing anyone who stands in its way ... plus it wouldn't make sense for the future saviour of mankind to be pro-murder just to be convenient.

I rather dug the surrogate father angle, personally. I didn't like the "oh man, now I gotta teach you everything all over again" bit in T3 ... although as I've said before, T3 was bullshit. Arnie was too old in that movie to pull it off - he looked flabbier, his skin looked looser, and the whole film was just a groan-a-thon ... "talk to duh hand". :rolleyes:

shootemindehead
30-Jun-2013, 02:36 PM
I bloody hate 'Terminator 2'. There are just too many annoying things in it to let go. From a squeaky, irritating John Connor, to the idiotic liquid robot idea, to that awful thumbs up at the end.

Not to mention Guns and flippin roses...

It can go and shite.

T1 all the way for me.

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2013, 05:09 PM
"You Could Be Mine" kicks ruddy arse. :D

Also, the thumbs up at the end gives me a lump in the throat - as in, I find that bit kind of moving.

ProfessorChaos
30-Jun-2013, 06:08 PM
I bloody hate 'Terminator 2'. There are just too many annoying things in it to let go. From a squeaky, irritating John Connor, to the idiotic liquid robot idea, to that awful thumbs up at the end.

Not to mention Guns and flippin roses...

It can go and shite.

T1 all the way for me.

damn, i'd blocked out how annoying and shrill edward furlong's voice was in T2....thanks for bringing those ear-splitting whines back to the forefront of my memory. and yes, the T-1000 is a completely moronic idea.

gotta disagree about guns and roses, though. although that song may not be that good, they were like on top of the world at the time and still are a guilty pleasure of mine.

shootemindehead
30-Jun-2013, 07:05 PM
thanks for bringing those ear-splitting whines back to the forefront of my memory

You're welcome Prof ;)

Gun n Roses = Girlie metal.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the thumbs up at the end gives me a lump in the throat - as in, I find that bit kind of moving.

The only thing it moved in me was my lunch. :barf:

Neil
09-Nov-2013, 11:53 AM
Casting news - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Terminator-Reboot-Bring-Back-Sarah-Connor-Kyle-Reese-John-Connor-Actor-Shortlists-Revealed-40230.html

Neil
14-Dec-2013, 09:45 AM
Emilia Clarke is Sarah Connor...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65452

http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2013/quint/clarkeconnor_large.jpg

Neil
14-Dec-2013, 09:46 AM
Emilia Clarke is Sarah Connor...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65452

http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2013/quint/clarkeconnor_large.jpg

krisvds
15-Dec-2013, 05:28 AM
On the off chance the new Terminator films are any good, Emilia Clarke is fast becoming queen of the geeks.

Never liked the franchise to be honest. I absolutely love the first one, but could never get into the second one. T2 played it a bit too safe and Arnold protecting that kid and the 'thumbs up' scene at the end, ... always felt like a step down from the original.

EDIT: totally missed the first two pages of the thread and just found out I'm not the only one who can't get into T2 anymore. Really dislike the overall 90ies feel of that feel. Come to think of it, the nineties blockbusters are aging prettly badly. Awful decade for hollywood popcorn cinema: every 'genre' movie had to be politically correct and safe for the whole family. Can't imagine something like Aliens or the first Terminator being made then ...

Neil
04-Mar-2014, 07:45 AM
The reboot is going to be a sequel, prequel, and reboot all at once - http://moviehole.net/201473984exclusive-more-original-characters-returning-for-new-terminator

...while “Genesis” encompasses an original plot, it also – like “Back to the Future Part II”, which saw Marty and Doc having to revisit the events of 1955 again for the film’s last quarter – returns to and revisits some of the most memorable moments from the first two “Terminator” movies.

The writers have apparently found a brilliant way of playing tribute to the two greatest films in the “Terminator” series, while introducing us to a new scenario.

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2014, 10:07 AM
"the two greatest films in the Terminator series" ... the other two damned with the faintest of praise. :elol:

Interesting idea, but at the same time, hmmm...

AcesandEights
04-Mar-2014, 01:22 PM
This news just hurts my head.

I haven't either.

EvilNed
04-Mar-2014, 04:22 PM
I'll probably watch it.

I enjoyed T3 mildly. It was ambitious enough action wise for me to be enjoyed for 2 hours. While I thought the bulk of the movie was rather dull compared to T2, I do actually think it has the best of the endings.

T4 was 2 flashy 4 me. Felt like watching a Pixar film.

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2014, 06:03 PM
T4 had an awesome trailer (and mostly because of Nine Inch Nails) and that's it.

T3 was an absolute piss take for various reasons (as I've mentioned earlier in this thread), even if certain moments were fun (in spite of the 'super Terminator' nonsense that goes against everything established in 1 and 2).

AcesandEights
04-Mar-2014, 06:16 PM
Gun n Roses = Girlie metal.

What sort of big shot rappin' & cocaine talk is this? All metal is cheesy by definition.

MoonSylver
04-Mar-2014, 09:28 PM
The reboot is going to be a sequel, prequel, and reboot all at once - http://moviehole.net/201473984exclusive-more-original-characters-returning-for-new-terminator

...while “Genesis” encompasses an original plot, it also – like “Back to the Future Part II”, which saw Marty and Doc having to revisit the events of 1955 again for the film’s last quarter – returns to and revisits some of the most memorable moments from the first two “Terminator” movies.

The writers have apparently found a brilliant way of playing tribute to the two greatest films in the “Terminator” series, while introducing us to a new scenario.

Hur. Ar. Hurm. Sounds mildly interesting. Still don't know if it give me any enthusiasm for this project. :confused:

What sort of big shot rappin' & cocaine talk is this? All metal is cheesy by definition.

http://zacharymule.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Judas-Priest-uncredited-photo.jpg

http://media.classicrockmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/manowar-into-glory-ride.jpg

https://d2nh4f9cbhlobh.cloudfront.net/_uploads/galleries/16188/this-is-spinal-tap-1984-01-g.jpeg

Not sure if serious. :rockbrow: :lol:

Neil
22-Apr-2014, 08:48 AM
Production has started - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Terminator-Genesis-Has-Started-Production-42674.html

Neil
02-May-2014, 11:49 AM
Footage/scenes from the original to be used? - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Terminator-Genesis-Connect-James-Cameron-Original-Film-42830.html

"There’s a scene in the script where literally, we see the scene in the first Terminator where Arnold steps out, the punks threaten him, he rips Bill Paxton’s heart out and takes his clothes and wanders off. And as soon as that scene ends, another Arnold Schwarzenegger who’s older, and bearded and a very different version of the Terminator, comes walking in from the other side and plays another scene, right at the scene of that first incident."

bassman
02-May-2014, 03:22 PM
I can't be the only one having trouble understanding what exactly that scene description is getting at? So we see the scene from the first film, then a more aged Terminator walks into frame and the new movie goes from there? Unless there are lots of details this description has missed, that sounds like a pretty poor way to connect the films.

It's been a while since I've watched any of the Terminator films, but it wasn't even Bill Paxton's character that had his heart ripped out, iirc?....

MoonSylver
02-May-2014, 03:31 PM
I can't be the only one having trouble understanding what exactly that scene description is getting at? So we see the scene from the first film, then a more aged Terminator walks into frame and the new movie goes from there? Unless there are lots of details this description has missed, that sounds like a pretty poor way to connect the films.

It's been a while since I've watched any of the Terminator films, but it wasn't even Bill Paxton's character that had his heart ripped out, iirc?....

Pretty sure it was.

They've been referencing "Back to the Future 2" quite a bit, so this was how I expected it to play out, a la Marty at the Dance while Marty is onstage playing, etc. :|

bassman
02-May-2014, 03:38 PM
I had to see if I was remembering the scene wrong. Turns out my memory has served me well. Paxton isn't the one that gets the arm, it's the guy that played one of the villains in The X-Files...

jTYZek5RWnc

MoonSylver
02-May-2014, 03:44 PM
Ah, so it was. Brian Thomson. Also of "Cobra" fame. I had them transposed in my mind, & forgot all about the 3rd guy, who thought ran away, but was the one he gets the clothes from. :o

Oh well. You need to get ahold of the guy they got the quote from & let him know he got it wrong too. :lol:

MinionZombie
02-May-2014, 06:31 PM
Hmmm ... interesting.

Surely it can't be as bad as T3 or T4, so I've got some vague sense of hope for it ... we'll see, I guess. It does sound kinda cool with the 'alternate angle on a familiar scene' thing, even though it's been done before. I suppose it would be bloody weird for the punks to seemingly see their attacker come back straight away, but be 30 years older and fully bearded. As long as they don't go too gimmicky with the approach - and it has a purpose, not just for shits and giggles - then it could be cool.

BTW - Cobra was awesome - really dug that flick. :cool:

Neil
02-May-2014, 06:46 PM
Matt Smith (Dr Who) cast - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27262178

Paramount Pictures has announced Matt Smith is to star opposite Arnold Schwarzenegger in the reboot of the Terminator franchise.

The Doctor Who star will play "a new character with a strong connection to John Connor".

Great thing is they've already announced his role will grow in no.2 & 3! Great! We now know his character is untouchable for the first couple of flicks :duh:

MinionZombie
03-May-2014, 09:29 AM
Matt Smith (Dr Who) cast - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27262178

Great thing is they've already announced his role will grow in no.2 & 3! Great! We now know his character is untouchable for the first couple of flicks :duh:

Meh. I hope it's not a big role ... the guy kinda annoys me ... sometimes he's alright or good, but other times he's full-on irksome.

We shall see, I guess. I'm probably somewhat influenced by my general disliking of his time on Dr Who (not entirely, as there were some excellent episodes, but generally).

Neil
03-May-2014, 05:14 PM
^^ What's the bets he's some sort of geeky scientist?

MinionZombie
04-May-2014, 09:46 AM
^^ What's the bets he's some sort of geeky scientist?

Dead cert.

Neil
08-Sep-2014, 08:16 AM
OK, looks like we have a new trilogy on our hands , with the 2nd film being released in May 2017 and the third in June 2018 - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/68666

Why the rush? Because the rights for "Terminator" revert back to Cameron in 2019 - Can you imagine if Cameron then does something with it :) I doubt he will though given this new trilogy and how much water has now passed under this bridge!

MinionZombie
08-Sep-2014, 09:12 AM
Crikey ... well, it could all turn out roses, but after the abominations that were T3 and T4 what are the odds of something good happening? You never know though, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Filming two back-to-back as well is always a risk because if you make an error with #2 it'll carry over into #3 (e.g. how the second and third Matrix movies take themselves far too seriously, I still really enjoyed them, but it's undeniable there's a different feel to 2&3 versus 1).

So the rights go back to Cameron in 2019 no matter what, eh? Cool ... although nothing will probably come of it with three new movies in recent years (if their plan goes how they want it to), but I suppose at the very least it'd mean no more shitty Terminator flicks could be made ... in theory.

Neil
10-Oct-2014, 08:41 AM
PG13? - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69077

For me, Terminator died after T2... and don't see this changing things...

MinionZombie
10-Oct-2014, 10:10 AM
Remember when The Terminator, or the T-1000, used to rip out people's hearts and stab their victims in the eye? They're supposed to be brutal killing machines FFS.

T3 was an abomination. T4 was pish in all.

Yep, you can't drop an F-Bomb, but you can get up to all sorts of violence (as long as you don't spill any blood). Just think about how messed up that is - where's the horrific consequences of violence? Violence is ugly and brutal, but erase the blood and shoo-away any nipples and naughty words and you're golden ... it's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

The MPAA rating system is bizarre and skewed all wrong. If their system was more like ours with 12, 15, and 18 categories you'd be able to compromise your product less and earn more money. The Expendables 2 was rated R (17+) in America, but it was a 15 (with no cuts) here in the UK. The Inbetweeners Movie made a couple of trims to get a 15 without compromising the overall tone (still filled with all the naughty behaviour you'd expect) and it made a shedload of cash at the UK box office.

It just seems so odd that you can have an R-Rated film that's a middling 15 rating over here, at the same time as having another R-Rated film that's a savage 18 rating over here. The spread of age categories from the MPAA just seems idiotic.

MoonSylver
10-Oct-2014, 03:54 PM
Hollywood haz becum ultimate troll nowz.

http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/trollface-terminator-trollinator-futurewar-trollolol-1320107741r.jpg

wayzim
10-Oct-2014, 07:09 PM
Remember when The Terminator, or the T-1000, used to rip out people's hearts and stab their victims in the eye? They're supposed to be brutal killing machines FFS.

T3 was an abomination. T4 was pish in all.

Yep, you can't drop an F-Bomb, but you can get up to all sorts of violence (as long as you don't spill any blood). Just think about how messed up that is - where's the horrific consequences of violence? Violence is ugly and brutal, but erase the blood and shoo-away any nipples and naughty words and you're golden ... it's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

The MPAA rating system is bizarre and skewed all wrong. If their system was more like ours with 12, 15, and 18 categories you'd be able to compromise your product less and earn more money. The Expendables 2 was rated R (17+) in America, but it was a 15 (with no cuts) here in the UK. The Inbetweeners Movie made a couple of trims to get a 15 without compromising the overall tone (still filled with all the naughty behaviour you'd expect) and it made a shedload of cash at the UK box office.

It just seems so odd that you can have an R-Rated film that's a middling 15 rating over here, at the same time as having another R-Rated film that's a savage 18 rating over here. The spread of age categories from the MPAA just seems idiotic.

When they doomed Sarah Connor to death by leukemia in the 3rd film, is it any wonder that I welcomed the Sarah Connor Chronicles as a fairly decent alternative history to the movies? Lena Headley(Game of Thrones) did well, and the best moments came when we actually saw how certain actions began to create multiple time-lines upline. Unfortunately we'll never see how that pans out. As for the movies? I've lost the faith.

MinionZombie
11-Oct-2014, 10:04 AM
When they doomed Sarah Connor to death by leukemia in the 3rd film, is it any wonder that I welcomed the Sarah Connor Chronicles as a fairly decent alternative history to the movies? Lena Headley(Game of Thrones) did well, and the best moments came when we actually saw how certain actions began to create multiple time-lines upline. Unfortunately we'll never see how that pans out. As for the movies? I've lost the faith.

The show was decent - but it really fell apart in the second season with some interminably dull episodes where it was just a lot of waffle and time filling (too many episodes in the order) - and so when they finally got it back on track in the last couple of episodes the damage was already done (the season two finale was excellent and really made me want more of the show again), which was a shame.

I dearly hope they get rid of this 'Super Terminator' nonsense, which is clearly birthed from inferior filmmakers not bothering to understand the MO and abilities of Cameron's creation. Molton steel is used to destroy - completely destroy - bother Terminators in T2, but in T4 it's merely a temporary set back with no lasting damage ... ridiculous! :stunned:

Neil
30-Oct-2014, 03:32 PM
Oh dear - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69308

The threat of nuclear holocaust that freaked out ’80s audiences has been eclipsed by our fear of cyberattack. “Skynet no longer has to break down our front door because we line up in front of Apple stores to invite it in,” Ellison says. “We’re constantly giving away our privacy.”

So on the one hand, nuclear annihilation by a global firestorm followed by the slow painful radiation poisoned death of any remaining life on earth, vs your Facebook password being stolen.

Hmmmm... They're re-imagined view of "threat" sucks donkey c*ck IMHO!

http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2014/merrick/tgencover2_large.jpg

MoonSylver
30-Oct-2014, 04:01 PM
If they're trying to instill hope & assuage fears, they've failed. :( Look, they even put the TrollFace T-800 in the background! Says it all. :lol:

krisvds
30-Oct-2014, 04:27 PM
PG13? - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69077

For me, Terminator died after T2... and don't see this changing things...

For me it's even worse: there's only the first one really. T2 has aged badly I think. Used to love it as a teenager, but after revisiting it a while back it left me underwhelmed. Where the first one remains a tight, lean and violent scifi thriller with serious horror undertones (the terminator is just a robotic Michael Myers so to speak) the second one felt too bloated and has some seriously ridiculous scenes. Young John Connor is very irritating and him bonding with Arnold feels awkward. The thumbs up moment when the Terminator lowers himself into the molten steel and the line'"if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too." is just plain awful. Come to think of it, after Terminator and Aliens (and parts of the Abyss, maybe) Cameron made some shitty movies. I never enjoyed True Lies, Titanic or even Avatar.
Weird, as I still think both The Terminator and Aliens are two of the best (scifi) action films ever.

AcesandEights
30-Oct-2014, 04:32 PM
"How to save a billion dollar franchise"

How about just let it the f**k go. Make your money off of remasters, merch, comic book licensing, game licensing and all that other crap.

MoonSylver
30-Oct-2014, 04:51 PM

How about just let it the f**k go. Make your money off of remasters, merch, comic book licensing, game licensing and all that other crap.

Rights revert to Cameron in a few years. Gotta make the big cash grab while the sun's still shining. :|

MinionZombie
30-Oct-2014, 05:09 PM

I know, right? Or, you know, get someone who respects the property and reveres it while simultaneously having writing talent ... plus no silly studio nit-picking interference.

Rights revert to Cameron in a few years. Gotta make the big cash grab while the sun's still shining. :|

Yes, there's certainly a cynical whiff about this new "trilogy" of T-films.

I disagree with krisvds though, I think T2 has aged just fine and is still an excellent piece of cinema and entertainment (True Lies is also a hell of a fun time). The only thing that's really aged in T2 is the usual things like TV monitors and computer games, maybe a touch of fashion (I too was a denim-clad kid of the 1990s :cool:) ... but other than that, personally, I think T2 has aged just fine. To each their own on the thumbs up at the end, but it brought a wee bit of moistness to my eye I've gotta admit. :o

I don't like the idea of ret-conning the nuclear attacks of the established cannon. I can see why they'd want to bring in a bit of the social media ideas regarding information and privacy ... but, really, how is that going to bring down the world? Is Skynet going to lock everyone out of their Facebook and Twitter and people start killing themselves because they can't post a picture of their dinner and hashtag it with a million bizarre tags that don't make any real sense? :rockbrow:

The nuclear option still makes the most sense - taking out the military capabilities of your enemies and then taking over your native land with ol' metal head and chums.

MoonSylver
30-Oct-2014, 05:19 PM
Yeah, it wasn't going to go into the whole T1/2 thang, but I still dig 2. In comparison to 1 there's a totally different vibe, but I still like it & it makes a nice companion piece.

Re: Skynet vs social media...I could see in one of the infinite alternate realities created by its time-tampering a reality where the nuke was was averted, time moves on, & in the world of today a rouge AI could bring about the end of human society through the internet, electronic, & technology. The threat a rogue AI poses someday is very real, & very high.

Don't want to see a Terminator movie about it though. :barf:

Neil
31-Oct-2014, 09:29 AM
Cameron gets the rights back in 4-5 years... Suspect they will be the rights to something that's been driven into the ground though!

MoonSylver
31-Oct-2014, 09:22 PM
Cameron gets the rights back in 4-5 years... Suspect they will be the rights to something that's been driven into the ground though!

Yep. "Here Jim, now that we've wiped out ass with 'er & drug 'er through the mud, she's ALL YOURS pal!" :annoyed:

Neil
04-Dec-2014, 09:21 AM
t_77GeNEzFQ

Full trailer due today...

MoonSylver
04-Dec-2014, 10:10 PM
A trailer for a trailer. Will wonders never cease? :rolleyes::lol:

Neil
05-Dec-2014, 07:37 AM
Feels a bit needy and soulless to me...

62E4FJTwSuc

MinionZombie
05-Dec-2014, 09:54 AM
Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese?!

Quite frankly, nobody can replace Michael Biehn. Likewise with Robert Patrick as the T-1000, and Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor. I don't feel confident in this idea of buggering about with the events of the original movie (two movies?). I thought it might be interesting, but the first footage has done nothing but increase my scepticism unfortunately. :(

Looks like we're stuck with feckin' super-Terminators again as well - that eye-rolling bit where the T-800 jumps out of da choppah and crashes into the other one. The T-800 is hard as nails, but it's not ruddy invincible! A home-made pipe bomb bisected one in the first movie ffs!

The trailer for T4 was awesome, but the movie was awful ... perhaps this is a naff trailer and the movie will be awesome ... ... ... but I think that's probably quite unlikely.

With the franchise-destroying pap that was T3 and T4, I'm just expecting more of the same disappointment from "Genisys" (crap title, too ... feels overtly gimmicky ... like a nudge and a wink).

wayzim
05-Dec-2014, 11:49 AM
Feels a bit needy and soulless to me...

62E4FJTwSuc

Ya think? :D

In all fairness, I'd thought too long and hard about the terminator universe over the decades to dismiss this outright.
Quantum parallel time streams; i.e. multiple futures branching off of key events was a favorite alternative to a conventional unbreakable linear time-line. I think that's why I embraced The Sarah Connor Chronicles; after that abortion of a film called T-3: Rise of The Machines.

Neil
29-Mar-2015, 02:43 PM
Hmmm...

9Xt5tZyrMZI

Neil
13-Apr-2015, 02:54 PM
rGSxss7gWak

ProfessorChaos
14-Apr-2015, 04:34 AM
glad to see the "let's put all significant plot points in the trailer" trend is still going strong.

saves me a few bucks and a trip to the theater....not that I would have paid to see this on the big screen anyways, but still....

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2015, 09:42 AM
Oh dear...

The cheesy grin thing worked in T2 - but such silliness didn't work at all in T3 ... that moment looks far more T3 than T2.

So that's basically the entire movie (kind of like how in the trailer for T4 when they revealed the twist about Sam Worthington's character) - and how would you "reverse" that anyway?! Frankly, the more I'm seeing, the shitter it's looking.

T1/T2 forever - the end.

shootemindehead
14-Apr-2015, 03:27 PM
That looks rubbish.

No surprises there.

Neil
11-May-2015, 06:47 PM
Hang on hang on hang on! Something's going on here!

Exhibits (A) & (B):-
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d9/97/30/d997307f28fe48c2be99e23f2d20813d.jpg

Exhibits (C) & (D):-
http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2015/harry/wvbmad2_large.jpg

MinionZombie
12-May-2015, 09:26 AM
Are you hinting that they've photoshopped her bosom to enlarge it for the poster? *sigh* What is this Hollywood obsession with bigger tits? :rolleyes:

EvilNed
12-May-2015, 09:36 AM
Honestly,

this is one of two films I'm actually looking forward to a lot.
This and Mad Max. I'm avoiding all kinds of promotional material. I want to be as surprised as possible.

Neil
01-Jul-2015, 10:29 AM
So? Anyone here seen it?

- - - Updated - - -

AICN didn't like it:-

TERMINATOR: GENISYS is likely the last of this franchise, and that’s a blessing. It means that Arnold Schwarzenegger can move on to the next stage of his career, whatever that may be, and I hope for the best for him, and I’ll always be a fan. If he picks roles that challenge him in his older years, all the better – although SABOTAGE isn’t a great movie, Arnold is actually quite good in it, and I think there’s a script out there that will absolutely give him the great role he deserves, playing to his abilities and reminding us all why we worshipped this guy in the 1980s and 1990s. TERMINATOR: GENISYS is a waste of talent and money. Don’t be back.

MinionZombie
01-Jul-2015, 06:03 PM
Total Film gave it a 3/5, although I've not read the review yet.

IGN gave it a "meh" review - particularly flagging up Emilia Clarke as a casting choice that they think didn't pay off (despite being ruddy Khaleesi in GoT). They also mentioned various 'gags' that don't work - you know, when I first saw that 'smile' moment I just cringed and shook my head. That sort of shit didn't work at all in T3. It worked in T2 because it was played straight, and the T-800 picked necessary moments for trying anything 'human' (like the smiling scene in T2's special edition) ... but all that "talk to the hand" bollocks in T3, the stripper shades, all of that bullshit just sank like a brick.

The glimpses of 'humour' in T5 that I've seen feel like that T3 horseshit. It might work in a stunt video (like the one Arnie did where he pretended to be his own wax sculpture), but it sure as shit doesn't work in an actual Terminator movie.

I'm intrigued to see it - eventually - but no way am I paying. I was dim enough to buy Terminator 3 on DVD, I was stupid enough to watch Salvation in the cinema, and both times I was sorely disappointed.

Salvation could have been an awesome movie - who didn't look at the future war scenes in T1 and T2 and not want a whole movie like that? But McG & co royally buggered that up. :rolleyes:

wayzim
09-Jul-2015, 04:07 PM
On the plus side, Arnold got to prank fans for a charitable cause.

w81g199L8YA

bassman
12-Aug-2015, 04:09 PM
Finally saw this. As much as I expected it to bomb, it actually wasn't all that bad. Obviously not in the same league as Cameron's films, but things could've been a lot worse. The first act being the best of the film, the second act has its moments, then third has some stinkers. Overall I'd say its worth a viewing for fans.

After only one viewing, I'm tempted to say its the best sequel out of the Cameron-less films. Although that's not saying much. I'd give it something like 6/10.

rongravy
12-Aug-2015, 08:44 PM
I liked it, wayyyyyyyyy better than that last snoozefest with Christian Bale.
So is this the new thing with all the new movie sequels:
Like XMEN and the new Star Trek, just go back in time and wipe out the future from there and start the tale all over? I will say I thought it was cool in the new Terminator when they smoked Arnie before he could start his search for Sarah Conner...

Neil
13-Aug-2015, 09:56 AM
^^ You two have given me some hope...

How much does it stamp on the first two films then?

bassman
14-Aug-2015, 05:21 AM
^^ You two have given me some hope...

How much does it stamp on the first two films then?

Forgive my confusion, but are you asking how it compares to the original two or how it wipes the plots of those films out?

If its comparison, I can't say its anywhere near the classic status of the first two. It may be the best of films 3-5 and feels the most like a sequel to the original films IMO. Definitely not a Cameron film, however.

If you're asking how it plays with the original plots(no spoilers), it basically plays with the first 20 or so minutes of T1. After that, we're on a completely different timeline. I will say that I was extremely entertained "revisiting" the events of T1. The opening of genisys and through the events of T1 was easily my favorite segment of the film. The first 30-45 minutes I'd say.

Rottedfreak
14-Aug-2015, 07:47 AM
If Kyle Reese and the T800 can materialize in a 1984 not of their timeline then I take it they were shielded from the changes which leads me to believe the reprogrammed T800 and Skynet T1000 of T2, and the reprogrammed T850 and Skynet TX of T3 also appeared in the nineties and 2004 as well.

bassman
14-Aug-2015, 01:02 PM
If Kyle Reese and the T800 can materialize in a 1984 not of their timeline then I take it they were shielded from the changes which leads me to believe the reprogrammed T800 and Skynet T1000 of T2, and the reprogrammed T850 and Skynet TX of T3 also appeared in the nineties and 2004 as well.

Reese and the original T800 do materialize in their own timeline. It actually IS Terminator 1 for a few minutes, but then everything takes a left turn. Essentially erasing the last 45 minutes of T1, and all of T2, T3, and T4.

Neil
14-Aug-2015, 02:28 PM
Essentially erasing the last 45 minutes of T1, and all of T2.

Eek! Bold move!