PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! Breaking Bad (The final 8 episodes)

ProfessorChaos
21-Jul-2013, 08:11 PM
is anyone else almost crawling out of their skin with anticipation about the return and conclusion of (what is, in my opinion) the best show on television? we're only a few weeks away, but i'm feeling like cartman waiting for the debut of the nintendo wii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8HadIATe7Y

while the clips above don't really show much, i think that they give a really good snapshot of what sort of mental state these guys are in at the moment.

and here's a description of the quick glimpse comic-con attendee's were treated to this weekend, lifted from IGN:

We begin with a loud noise that sounds like an airplane engine, but is revealed to be the sound of skateboards as we see some teenagers skating in the swimming pool of an abandoned house. As we cut to the street outside, something becomes clear… We are at Walter and Skyler’s house, but clearly no one has lived in it for a long time. There is a chained gate in front and the house looks terrible.

Sitting in a car out front is Walt, appearing as he did in the Season 5 flash-forward, with a full head of hair and a beard, looking very disheveled, with a stained shirt. He gets out of the car and opens the trunk, where we see the gun he got in that same premiere episode. He ignores the gun and take a tire iron. He manages to squeeze through the small space where the gate is chained and uses the tire iron to break the lock on the front door, going inside. As Walter closes the door behind him, he lets out a small cough.

The house looks terrible inside. People have tagged the walls and flies fill the kitchen, indicating food was left behind – and that the occupants of the house didn’t have time to prepare for their departure. But the most notable thing is the giant word “Heisenberg” spray-painted on the wall of the living room.

Walt looks at the word and then hears the kids skating in the pool, pausing to glance through the blinds at them. He then goes down the hall to the bedroom, where he unscrews a certain wall socket plate… and retrieves the ricin he hid there. As Walt exists the house and goes back to his car, his neighbor has just parked and is taking a bag of groceries from her car.

She sees Walt and suddenly freezes, mouth agape. “Hello, Carol” says Walt, as Carol drops the grocery bag to the ground in shock.

can't really decide which is worse right now, the wait for this or GTAV.....

MinionZombie
22-Jul-2013, 10:20 AM
can't really decide which is worse right now, the wait for this or GTAV.....

BOTH! :D

Yeah I'm stoked for these final eight episodes. I caught up on Breaking Bad last year, so had this brilliant marathon run ... and then I got to the mid-point of season 5 and it was like "argh! a year-long wait for the wrap up!" :p

The first season was good, but it didn't quite hook me in as I thought it would, but having heard so many good things about it (not least from Bassman here on HPOTD, who'd frequently demand that I watch the show :cool:), I dived into the box sets and became obsessed with it. It's definitely one of the strongest and most deliciously dark shows out there - one of the greatest shows ever made. :)

bassman
24-Jul-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes, yes yes! I'm beyond excited with a touch of sadness to know it will be over soon.

My girlfriend hadn't seen the show, so we recently sat down and watched all 4.5 seasons in about two/three weeks. She instantly said it is now one of her favorite shows ever. :lol:

I was also amazed at how much I still loved the show even though I'd seen it twice before. Perfect television.

MinionZombie
24-Jul-2013, 04:19 PM
BB fans might wanna check this out:

http://www.sundancechannel.com/videos/breaking-bad-the-writers-room-episode-1-season-1-full-episode

I watched it earlier. Not massively in-depth, but good fun and interesting for fans of the show to get a little glimpse into the writing staff on it, plus Cranston is a joy as always.

This is also a cool little video - a timelapse of the writer's doing 5x04:

Dd5_pQ2m2U8

^^^
That's like an idea of heaven to me. :) I'd love to be doing that ... t'is my aim ... one day. :cool:

bassman
24-Jul-2013, 06:54 PM
I saw a convention panel with the cast and crew and Cranston got a tattoo on the inside of one of his fingers with the Br and Ba symbols. His one and only tattoo. You know they love their work when they go that far. And they damn well should be proud. They've made one of the best TV series' of all time...

kidgloves
24-Jul-2013, 07:23 PM
Apparently Chris Hardwicks doing a post show talk show like TWD for BB

ProfessorChaos
24-Jul-2013, 10:06 PM
ugh....christ on a pony. chris fucking hardwick. god that guy is an annoying douchenozzle. however, my love for BB will have me tuning in regardless. but geez, couldn't they find someone better? i'd rather watching a "talking bad" hosted by stephen hawkins or donald trump, hardwick is that much of a pain in the ass.

and bass, congrats on the new ladyfriend and good call on introducing her to BB. i forced my girl to sit through the first 3 seasons when we started dating so we could be caught up for 4th season's opener, and a close friend of mine at work and his gf had never seen any of it, so we began watching it before TWD and marathon-ed the seasons 1-4. also, my brother hadn't seen the first half of s5 yet, so we blasted through them recently. so i've basically watched all episodes of s1-4 three times and s5 twice now.

and i recently picked up a vamanos pest tshirt and one representing pollos hermanos....i'm such a dork for this show.

MinionZombie
25-Jul-2013, 10:10 AM
Yeah, they're doing "Talking Bad" for the final 8. :) I don't get the hatred for Hardwick, though (Prof). :confused:

Here's the 2013 BB panel at Comic-Con:
0EXZPJwfuTY

Keep a close eye on Cranston at the beginning. ;)

bassman
26-Jul-2013, 01:38 AM
Funny how the so called fan asked about the pizza scene. It's on the damn dvd/blu ray! Why are you even in that panel?!? Give your seat to someone that deserves it and won't ask stupid questions!!!

MinionZombie
26-Jul-2013, 10:54 AM
Funny how the so called fan asked about the pizza scene. It's on the damn dvd/blu ray! Why are you even in that panel?!? Give your seat to someone that deserves it and won't ask stupid questions!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I take it you would have liked to be there, then? :)

Sometimes I get a bit irked by fan questions on some of these panels, particularly if it's a question that can be answered very easily by a quick glance at wiki or youtube, or is something that has been answered time-after-time. Surely, being such a huge fan, they'd have been consuming bits and pieces of info about the show online - even without hunting the answers down, you'd find them, but whatever.

Also - one thing that really annoys me about fan questions on these panels (I've watched several panels from this year's CC), is that barely any of them ... really, in fact, none of them ... can string a sentence together. Few are aware of there being a microphone that needs to be spoken into, and many/all stumble all over themselves and ask the most awkwardly worded questions. Now - to be fair - some folks might be a bit nervous in front of such a large audience, and asking your TV/Movie heroes a question - but still, in that case, write your question down on a piece of paper and have it to hand. Ask the question directly and there you go. :)

Sometimes you see the moderator having to step in to re-ask the question so the panel know what to answer ... I'm no doubt being very pinickity and overly harsh, but you do get a bit annoyed by the lack of clarity in the questions for the panel discussions. :p

Another thing I don't understand is this: AMC have put up the TWD and BB panels on their YouTube account days after the panels took place and long after other people put up their own videos. If you're going to put the panel up - with the great audio and official camera shots - get it up immediately! Fans won't hang around - I watched amateur-shot (but fairly well shot) versions of both of those panels (with all the annoying whooping and hollering over every little thing anyone ever says ... seriously, less hollering, more questions answered ... we all know that everybody likes everything at comic-con, so let's move on and hear some answers, you know? :lol:).

/overly-picky-nerd-rage-rant :p

ProfessorChaos
28-Jul-2013, 03:00 PM
@MZ, regarding chris hardwick: he just comes off as fake as hell with all his phony enthusiasm and strikes me as incredibly irritating. in fact, i just did a google search beginning with the phrase "chris hardwick is" and a few of the top answers were "a douche", "annoying", and "not funny", so i know i can't be the only one who has this opinion.

and mythbusters will be having a breaking bad special on august 12th, one night after the premiere for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxcwAfKayUk

ProfessorChaos
31-Jul-2013, 11:18 PM
and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE

11 days.

ProfessorChaos
12-Aug-2013, 04:42 AM
oh man. talk about awesome. kinda shocked that they went ahead with the (begining?) of the hank vs. walt showdown so quickly, but with only 7 episodes left, things gotta move quickly..... and that convo between skinny pete and badger about his star trek script was an instant classic!

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2013, 04:26 PM
It's kinda weird to hop back into it - I caught up with the show around about this sort of time last year, and so I've had a year-long wait for these final eight after blazing through the rest.

Anyway - ruddy good stuff - Hank vs Walt: tense stuff indeed! Poor old, Jessie too, I always feel sorry for the guy - he's the moral (criminal) conscience of the duo, but he's forever getting battered. I can't wait to see how it all goes from here! OOH THE EXCITEMENT! :hyper:

It's really cool how they can do so much on screen, and yet be so subtle about everything - there's always this bubbling sense of tension, and they never feel the need to shout and make a lot of noise and dance around. It's a very controlled sort of show ... it's like a controlled explosion ... meticulous preparation and then it all kicks off. :cool:

kidgloves
12-Aug-2013, 05:33 PM
That was a freaking excellent episode. So many possibilities.
Even at this late stage of the game, theres a very small part of me that wants Walt to get a way with it. Even after all he's done.
Jesse's just annoying me now.

bassman
12-Aug-2013, 07:22 PM
Something I hadn't considered until Gilligan mentioned it on Talking Bad.....When Walt is saying "I NEED you to believe me" about not killing Mike, what if that was really Walt saying "you need to believe me because I'll kill you if you don't." He tied up all other loose ends with the exception of Madrigal, so I thought that was an interesting thought.

But yeah....amazing episode as usual. The final showdown I noticed that my heart was actually racing...

MinionZombie
13-Aug-2013, 09:44 AM
Ooh - that's a very good point about the Walt/Jesse scene bassman - I hadn't thought of that myself, but yes, I'd say you're right. I love how with great shows like Breaking Bad, there's always more to be discovered when you scratch beneath the surface - it's things like this that show up the differences between "network" shows and "basic cable" shows ... for instance, Under The Dome versus Breaking Bad. With BB you're encouraged to full invest in these vastly complex characters, and always be on the look out for double-meanings (even triple-meanings) in everything they say. Heck, even the presentation of the shows themselves are different - the likes of BB take the time to give you a 'sense of place' - you wouldn't see the opening of BB5x09 on network telly because nobody says anything for minutes on end and "it's just a bloke in a crappy house" - but of course there's an awful lot going on in that scene ... more than I can be arsed to type up in this thread ... but yeah ... ... where was I again? :p

kidgloves - yeah, me too, you can see that Walt is trying to pull right back from the abyss, but on the other hand he's been responsible for so much violence and suffering that objectively he doesn't deserve to survive. However, I suppose as we've always been 'on Walt's journey' right there with him, we the viewer are somewhat vicariously responsible for his actions - hence why we might want him to get away with it, because in a way, we want to get away with it.

/poncy-intellectual-thought :D

EvilNed
13-Aug-2013, 10:31 PM
Loved it.

Such good shit. I love how sloooow this show is. Its kinda like TV has adopted the storytelling of older films.

shootemindehead
14-Aug-2013, 11:11 AM
Good start........or good restart.....or whatever the feck this is supposed to be.

Sort of confused by the beginning and want to know where that goes, or how we get there.

Surprised too that the Hank v Walt faceoff got going so early. I watched this at about 1:30 this morning and was half asleep and I was like, oh balls, they're not going to do this now are they? Woke me right up again...

:bored: <-----tired (not bored)

bassman
14-Aug-2013, 01:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2Mlqexx.gif

shootemindehead
14-Aug-2013, 02:10 PM
:lol:

bassman
19-Aug-2013, 01:06 PM
Well it appears Jesse is screwed. Nice to see Skylar continuing to redeem herself, though.

On Talking Bad Vince Gilligan gave a brief hint about a scene in next week's episode in which Walt and Skylar are alone in a restaurant with two empty seats. Could they be meeting in public with Hank and Marie? Oh, the anticipation is killing me...

MinionZombie
19-Aug-2013, 04:26 PM
Will Hank turn Jesse against Walt, use him in some way to get to l'il old Heisenberg? We'll see...

Yeah, my first thought was that Marie and Hank would be the dinner guests in that teeny weeny teaser they gave ... perhaps they come to some sort of understanding and allow them to run, or something like that? Hmmm...

Only six episodes left - blimey!

I've seen all of the episodes, but I only own two seasons on DVD, so I'll have to fill in the gaps once it's all over and then save the whole lot for another run-through sometime in the future.

The bit in the desert with Walt - apparently that was in the same area as stuff they shot in the very first episode.

Theory on the barrels:
Part of me wonders if the money in those barrels will be forgotten about and left there - will Walt forget it (even though he bought a lottery ticket with those coordinates on them) - will the ticket get lost and he forgets ... if he dies and nobody else knows, then the money is just out there in the desert ... will somebody dig up the area for some reason and discover the buried money?

Oh the possibilities!

I love the bit with the two guys lying down on the bed of money - a classic bit of Breaking Bad humour - loved that bit.

Lydia - she's just trouble in all ways, isn't she? The actress puts on a great accent too - she's actually very distinctly Scottish, and yet I had absolutely no idea until I saw some behind the scenes footage with her talking about her character.

ProfessorChaos
19-Aug-2013, 10:24 PM
damn, the writers on this show know how to leave you wanting more. i cannot wait to see jesse and hank's conversation. both characters are played by amazing actors and i'm really anticipating how great this scene could be.

well, the lines are drawn. walt vs hank is getting super serious super quick, and both wives are standing by their respective men. that scene with marie and skyler fighting over baby holly was pretty sad. and then marie is staring dead ahead in the car with hank and all she says is "you have to get him." awesome.

and i also got a chuckle out of saul and walt's conversation about "sending x to belize", particularly the bit where walt told saul he'd send him to belize.

and damn, todd and his uncle's crew, along with lydia, aren't fucking around. i really figured walt would have problems with the phoenix crew down the road, but it looks like i was wrong about that one.

EvilNed
19-Aug-2013, 10:48 PM
Have to agree on everything. Great episode.

The goons lying down on the cash was neat. I loved the succeeding Saul Goodman scene as well. Belize?

Man, only 6 more episodes to go! I can't wait to see where this ends. Is the series finale going to be lengthier in any way?

I also noticed that Dean Norris' left eye is much "bluer" than his right eye. Hadn't spotted that before.

bassman
22-Aug-2013, 06:00 PM
Kinda off topic, but wanted to share. Just a minute ago I answered the front door to see a FedEx employee with a large package from AllPosters. I crack it open and this is what I find:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1003205_512473848832238_445157298_n.jpg

A random surprise gift from my ladyfriend. She just might be a keeper! :lol:

MinionZombie
22-Aug-2013, 06:05 PM
Very cool poster, Sir - I think you're right, the lady's a keeper. :)

bassman
26-Aug-2013, 11:16 AM
When Walt's confession played, I clapped and cheered like I did when Gus walked out of Salamanca's room missing half his face. Awesome moment.

It looks like Walt has Hank by the balls. With the money they used for his treatment, the Schraders' are screwed...

MinionZombie
26-Aug-2013, 07:43 PM
When Walt's confession played, I clapped and cheered like I did when Gus walked out of Salamanca's room missing half his face. Awesome moment.

It looks like Walt has Hank by the balls. With the money they used for his treatment, the Schraders' are screwed...

Aye. I didn't see the 'confession' coming, and that really played out nicely. FIVE more left folks, FIVE ... blimey. I hope they do "Better Call Saul" the TV show.

As I figured last week it was Marie and Hank at the table with them - I loved it when they're just about to get into some serious business and that cheery waiter guy pops over handing out menus. :lol: A perfect summation of Breaking Bad's sense of humour right there. :cool:

kidgloves
26-Aug-2013, 08:38 PM
Holy f***ing shit. This episode and the Red Wedding in GOT have been my all time tv moments to cherish. Its taken me quite a while to get through the episode cause I kept pausing it and then paced the room with the occasional fist pump.
Walt is fu**ed man. Hes managed to keep Hank at bay but hes got it coming at him from Jesse and probably Todd.

EvilNed
26-Aug-2013, 08:47 PM
Man, I hope Todd bites it.

bassman
26-Aug-2013, 10:46 PM
I meant to mention this earlier...

The BB Complete Series Box set is now available for preorder. It's listed as $300 on AMC's site, but can be found elsewhere for about 200-250. It was also mentioned on Talking Bad that it will contain a feature-length documentary covering the entire series. Also other new features and special edition case, of course.

ProfessorChaos
27-Aug-2013, 01:18 AM

ditto on the reaction to walt's ace card. hard to believe i'm still pullng for the twisted bastard, but i was laughing my ass off and clapping joyously. hank and marie both were almost shitting themselves and i felt bad for them......but walt totally trolled them beyond belief.

and jesse's discovery and reaction was phenomenal. looks like maybe he may flip on walt after all.

and damn....300 bones for the box set?!? while i'm probably the biggest bb fan imagineable, that may be a bit more than i care to pay for that...

bassman
27-Aug-2013, 02:34 AM
and damn....300 bones for the box set?!? while i'm probably the biggest bb fan imagineable, that may be a bit more than i care to pay for that...

It's really not all that bad when you consider that the individual season on Blu Ray can run 40-50 bucks. So at five seasons, plus extra disc(s) for all new bonus features and what i'm sure will be a cool collector's packaging....it's not all that bad. Also, 300 is what AMC wants for it. The preorder is on Amazon for 225 at the moment and that will likely go down some more.

EvilNed
27-Aug-2013, 06:44 AM
I could part with 225 for that Box set...

bassman
27-Aug-2013, 12:46 PM
AKLdFOlLj3c

kidgloves
27-Aug-2013, 05:25 PM
AKLdFOlLj3c

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol: Hank spinoff - Mineral Man

MinionZombie
27-Aug-2013, 05:50 PM
HA! Superb! :D

shootemindehead
31-Aug-2013, 06:14 PM
god...I hate Jessie. He's such an arse.

kidgloves
04-Sep-2013, 03:20 PM
Looks like they're starting younger and younger these days.
:eek::D:lol:

http://i.imgur.com/oFXWwt4.jpg

MinionZombie
04-Sep-2013, 04:59 PM
In this latest episode, I love how - much to the nature of BB as a whole - major decisions by characters are based on what turns out to be crossed wires, which feels very realistic. Jessie thinking that Walt had a tough guy/hitman in-tow and makes a decision that could mean the end of Jessie, ironically. I think moments like these help keep the viewer invested, because you see the mistake and you want to tell them "no, it's not how you think, oh, if only you'd just..."

ProfessorChaos
09-Sep-2013, 02:32 AM
omfg my mind is blown. such a tense episode. hard to fathom that i'm still rooting for walt and actually hoping that hank, gomez, and especially jesse all meet a bloody and painful death. what a cliffhanger! man it's gonna be one hell of a long week.

this show just continues to amaze.....

MinionZombie
09-Sep-2013, 12:25 PM
Yep - a hell of a tense episode! That whole last 15 minutes I was on the edge of my seat, my fingernails dug into my palms ... I kept urging Hank to get the hell out of there, but of course he had no idea that anyone else knew they were out there, and then OMFG the Meth Gang 2.0 turn up and where on earth is it going to go from here?!

I want Jesse to survive, personally, as even though he's done despicable things, he's still been somewhat of the moral conscience of the show in comparison to Walt's dangerous sense of pride - it was cool to see how they tricked Walt into heading back out into the desert to save his money. Walt has to - in some way - pay for all he's done, but I'm not sure how I'd want that to play out ... sure, a part of all of us kinda want him to get away with it because as viewers we're vicariously complicit in his actions, but at the same time at the moment I identify more with Jesse out of the two of them.

Good lord - where is the next episode going to go from here?! :stunned:

kidgloves
09-Sep-2013, 05:55 PM
omfg my mind is blown. such a tense episode. hard to fathom that i'm still rooting for walt and actually hoping that hank, gomez, and especially jesse all meet a bloody and painful death. what a cliffhanger! man it's gonna be one hell of a long week.

this show just continues to amaze.....

Totally with you Prof.
Its been a long ride hasn't it.
3 to go.

Morto Vivente
10-Sep-2013, 10:19 AM
Personally I'm in the Jesse camp, Walt's the coward not Jesse, being scared of never having enough. IMO Walt thinks he can move all the pieces on the board purely on the basis of his intellect and power of logic. Sadly for him he doesn't know all the required intel, arrogance and ignorance appear to be his downfall. The intelligent fool seems to have been outsmarted by the classroom idiot [Jesse]. It's almost as if the student has become the teacher.

IMO it's possibly implied that this will happen in the pilot episode when Walt is addressing his students on the nature of Chemistry, that things change through interaction with one another. Jesse has become more like the Walt we are originally presented with and Walt has transformed into an extreme version of the original Jesse. Just my thoughts.

Anyway, can't wait to see how it all concludes. A truly amazing show, I remember watching season 3 back to back without a break except for snacks! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else seen this..... CONSTRUCT YOUR OWN CRYSTAL METH LAB :duh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415463/Outrage-toy-company-creates-crystal-meth-lab-children-Breaking-Bad-play-sets.html

Obviously not for kids, but still, the mind boggles.

MinionZombie
10-Sep-2013, 11:20 AM
Just a fan thing by a separate company without the consent of Lego itself. There's a bunch of these sort of unofficial Lego playsets that are just for enthusiasts of the toy and of whatever film/show they're doing a version of. A bunch of ill-informed fake outrage from the Daily Mail on this one. :rolleyes: Plus, as also stated in the comments, Mike isn't a police officer, as the article claims. :p

bassman
10-Sep-2013, 12:18 PM
Complete Series Box Set and Special Features: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/this-breaking-bad-collectors-edition-set-is-a-must-have-yo

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/brba-boxset-sm.jpg

ProfessorChaos
10-Sep-2013, 02:47 PM
^

decided to go for it after all. i can always cancel it if i change my mind but i dig that barrel and dat apron. i'm also not sure if they are gonna relese the 5th season as a whole or force us to buy 2 blu ray sets so this solves that problem.

bassman
10-Sep-2013, 09:27 PM
^

decided to go for it after all. i can always cancel it if i change my mind but i dig that barrel and dat apron. i'm also not sure if they are gonna relese the 5th season as a whole or force us to buy 2 blu ray sets so this solves that problem.

From the looks of it, AMC decided to release the two halves of S5 as separate Blu Rays. The first eight episodes are already available and are labeled as "Season Five". I'm guessing they'll label the final eight as "Season Six". It's all down to the whole dispute they had between S4 and S5. Gilligan even said "Season 5-A as the lawyers call it". But yeah....five seasons. Just split and released separately because of AMC's greedy money men.

kidgloves
10-Sep-2013, 09:32 PM
From the looks of it, AMC decided to release the two halves of S5 as separate Blu Rays. The first eight episodes are already available and are labeled as "Season Five". I'm guessing they'll label the final eight as "Season Six". It's all down to the whole dispute they had between S4 and S5. Gilligan even said "Season 5-A as the lawyers call it". But yeah....five seasons. Just split and released separately because of AMC's greedy money men.

AMC have said all episodes are season 5 according to the BB Insider podcast.

MinionZombie
11-Sep-2013, 08:27 AM

And yet, so it'd appear, here in the UK it's "Season 5" (501-508) and "The Final Season" (509-516) ... no signs, yet, of a 'Complete Fifth Season', but who knows if that'll change ... I'd doubt it with a "Final Season" set available for pre-order. Rather annoying.

It's the same thing with Futurama, they do a 26 episode season, but it's split in-two across two years, and so that means that each year 13 episodes get released ... so not only are they double-dipping us, they're behind schedule.

As for the recent episode - I loved the bit where Walt Jr was star struck by Saul at the car wash. :D I like that there's little moments of levity like that, which are totally realistic, weaved throughout - oh, and Huell on the sofa getting squeezed for info by Hank. Huell steals every scene he's in. :D

bassman
11-Sep-2013, 01:20 PM

Yet there's a dvd currently available that says Season Five and it's only 501-508....

kidgloves
11-Sep-2013, 05:43 PM
Yet there's a dvd currently available that says Season Five and it's only 501-508....

IIRC they did a similar thing with BSG when the season was split in 2.

https://sphotos-b-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1186263_10151869342752722_2102723122_n.jpg

bassman
12-Sep-2013, 11:43 AM
Speaking of Saul.....AMC announced yesterday that they've green lit Gilligan's spinoff show Better Call Saul. As of now they're calling it a prequel, which it likely will be, but could just be a diversion tactic before we know what happens to Saul in BB. I think he's going to get away fine in BB, but after Walt's trouble he probably wouldn't want to be "in the life" anymore, so a prequel makes the most sense.

EvilNed
12-Sep-2013, 12:00 PM
Speaking of Saul.....AMC announced yesterday that they've green lit Gilligan's spinoff show Better Call Saul. As of now they're calling it a prequel, which it likely will be, but could just be a diversion tactic before we know what happens to Saul in BB. I think he's going to get away fine in BB, but after Walt's trouble he probably wouldn't want to be "in the life" anymore, so a prequel makes the most sense.

As I understood it, it would only be a 1 hour thing. I don't mind it, but I was always wary that a TV-series would be to much of a thing. But 1 hour might be to short. I say they should make like a mini-series. 4 - 6 episodes or something like that.

MinionZombie
12-Sep-2013, 04:47 PM
As I understood it, it would only be a 1 hour thing. I don't mind it, but I was always wary that a TV-series would be to much of a thing. But 1 hour might be to short. I say they should make like a mini-series. 4 - 6 episodes or something like that.

When they say "one hour" they're not being literal, they're talking about a time slot - Breaking Bad is also 'one hour' show, as in that's the time slot it fits into, whereas it's actually around about 46 to 47 minutes per episode.

Yeah, "prequel" could be a cheeky way to work around Breaking Bad still having three episodes left, or other reasons, but it also makes sense in the way they talked about it being a case of 'how did this guy become Saul' ... interesting stuff, and it's certainly the time to strike on it, and I hope it works out well. :)

ProfessorChaos
12-Sep-2013, 10:40 PM
arrrrrgh!!! i have to go to training for my new job and i have to check into my hotel by 8pm sunday....if my room doesn't have cable, i will have to wait till fuckin friday to see the new episode.....:(

MinionZombie
16-Sep-2013, 11:55 AM
HOLY FECKIN' SHITE!!! :stunned:

Hell of an episode, that! Wow ... emotionally draining to say the least!

After last week's cliff hanger I was hoping it could go a better way, but realistically there was only one way it could all go ... :(

bassman
16-Sep-2013, 12:02 PM
I think just about everyone knew Hank was a goner after last week's episode. It felt weird to have him gone, though...

Just when I thought Walt had gone too far to be likable, he makes the call to Skylar and redeems himself. Taking the baby and then "threatening" Skyler was a perfect plan. Now she'll be cleared of any wrong doing.

MinionZombie
16-Sep-2013, 12:24 PM
I think just about everyone knew Hank was a goner after last week's episode. It felt weird to have him gone, though...

Just when I thought Walt had gone too far to be likable, he makes the call to Skylar and redeems himself. Taking the baby and then "threatening" Skyler was a perfect plan. Now she'll be cleared of any wrong doing.

Yeah, I was hoping there would be some magical Walt way out of it all for Hank, but yeah ... there was only one way it could go.

It was gut punch after gut punch, this episode - and poor old Walt Jr/Flynn getting the news, and the knife fight, and having to call the cops on his Dad - and poor Marie too. :(

Excellent television. Truly legendary.

kidgloves
16-Sep-2013, 01:46 PM
Anyone else notice the opening credits didn't roll till 19 mins into the episode.

Neil
16-Sep-2013, 02:07 PM
Spin off series - http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/09/11/breaking-bad-spinoff-series-better-call-saul-confirmed

MinionZombie
16-Sep-2013, 04:16 PM
Anyone else notice the opening credits didn't roll till 19 mins into the episode.

Yeah! I think that's the longest it's ever been in a TV show for the opening credits to roll - what do you guys reckon? Lost could sometimes go until 10 minutes, and that's the longest that I was aware of before this. There was just no way you could cut away to anything else ... and I loved that opening, tying the beginning to (nearly) the end, with the people and the vehicles fading out and in at this same spot ... chilling stuff.

And again - poor old Jessie!

It was interesting that Walt finally 'fessed up on Jane - in that awful moment it was time for some truth.

kidgloves
16-Sep-2013, 04:44 PM
Anyone else notice the callback to the pilot with Walts pants when he's rolling the barrel of money.

http://i.imgur.com/DmDvbup.jpg

Also the conversation with Skyler over the phone felt a little bit staged. Code maybe?

MinionZombie
16-Sep-2013, 04:56 PM
No way! Those were his trousers from episode one? I thought that was petrified wood or something. :lol: Cool!

Just looking at Wiki and the ratings for the show - seasons 1 through 4 was a very gradual increase, but only sporadically above 2 million.

When Season 5 started last year it was nearly at 3m, and maintained a healthy 2-3 million each episode ... but - season 5-B, HOLY MOLY, here's a relative leap up - 5x09 garnered 5.92m and it's been in high-fours, low-fives throughout.

The power of televised repeats and DVD box sets right there.

Low Winter Sun is apparently struggling, but heck, even season 2 of Breaking Bad was struggling to get viewers at times 2x08 "Better Call Saul" got 1.04m, for example. It's excellent that BB's ratings improved and the DVDs really helped spread the audience, too ... I've not seen Low Winter Sun yet (saving the episodes up for a later date) ... but I imagine it's nowhere near the writing quality of BB - few things are!

I've read that AMC have cancelled The Killing for a second time now, too. Not that I've ever watched it (or the original version).

kidgloves
17-Sep-2013, 08:37 PM
Look at the rating on IMDB for this episode

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2301451/

Highly unusual. You normally get the odd troll trying to ruin it for everyone else

shootemindehead
18-Sep-2013, 09:03 AM
Yeah! I think that's the longest it's ever been in a TV show for the opening credits to roll - what do you guys reckon? Lost could sometimes go until 10 minutes, and that's the longest that I was aware of before this. There was just no way you could cut away to anything else ... and I loved that opening, tying the beginning to (nearly) the end, with the people and the vehicles fading out and in at this same spot ... chilling stuff.

And again - poor old Jessie!

It was interesting that Walt finally 'fessed up on Jane - in that awful moment it was time for some truth.

I don't think he was doing it to "fess up" though. I think he was doing it out of hate. The flimsy bonds between have well and truly broken and Walt despises Jesse now.

TBH, I can't stand him either. Why is it that I can't stand him so much? He's supposed to be the show's "moral compass" after all, or at least he's supposed to be sort of pointing closer to north in a show that has so many characters pointing south.

Bye Bye Hank, you were turning into my favorite character.

"Do what you're gonna d..."

MinionZombie
20-Sep-2013, 10:16 AM
http://quests.society.qub.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/futurama_good_news_everyone.jpg

The final two episodes are going to be in a 75 minute slot, which means that each of the final two episodes could be up to 60 minutes in length (rather than the usual 46/47 minutes). :)

Publius
21-Sep-2013, 03:22 AM
I think there's only one way this series can end:

Walt gets put into the Witness Protection Program and is moved into a nice little suburban house in the Tri-County Area under the new name of "Hal." He shaves off his goatee and grows out his hair. Then he meets a woman named Lois at the local Lucky Aide drugstore. They marry and have five sons who get into all kinds of wacky hijinks.

EvilNed
21-Sep-2013, 07:35 AM
I agree with Publius,

in the last unaired season of that show his cancer comes back and kills him.

MinionZombie
23-Sep-2013, 12:14 PM
Well it just gets more and more dramatic, doesn't it? Blimey - what a rollercoaster ride this show is!

Only one more episode - flippin' 'eck! :stunned:

One thing though, they trumpeted about it being an extended episode in a 75 minute slot - yeah, six extra minutes of show. I'll take it, but I was hoping for a 60 minute episode rather than 53 minutes ... so more than half of the extended time was new adverts. Yeah, sure, AMC wanna rake in a bit of cash with the episodes doing really well, but at the same time I was like "just six extra minutes?" ... although I wasn't that surprised by it only being a little bit extra. On the other hand, Breaking Bad's deal meant that they had longer-than-usual episodes of 46/47 minutes (rather than, say, 42 minutes).

Neil
23-Sep-2013, 02:15 PM
Best drama (Emmy) - http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/emmy-awards-2013-breaking-bad-takes-best-drama-gong-ahead-of-downton-abbey-and-game-of-thrones-8834008.html

ProfessorChaos
24-Sep-2013, 12:15 AM
man, these last two episodes have been so emotionally charged. between hank's death, junior's rude awakening to his father's behavior, the knife fight, child abduction, and walt's tearful conversation with skyler, "ozymandias" was probably the most emotional episode of the series thus far.

and this week's episode, while a little slower, still had some impacting moments, such as murder of andrea right in front of jesse's eyes, todd's polite home intrusion and threats to skyler, and junior's flat-out rejection of his father's money, apologies, and love. and just when poor walt was about to give up for good, the gray matter assholes had to go run their mouths and wave him off as insignificant....which sets us up nicely for what will surely be a breath-taking finale.

...and damn, that use of the show's score (for the first time, to my obsessive knowledge of this show) as the cops closed in on the bar and the shot of the empty glass......fuckin goosebumps man.

and i read that like 6.6 million tuned in for last night's episode, which is a series high. surely the numbers will be even higher next week. so sad to see this show go, but so happy that it's going out on top and hasn't faltered or even hinted at irrelevance over the years.

MinionZombie
24-Sep-2013, 09:48 AM
Ooh yeah, the use of the themetune in the closing moments was a spine tingler, wasn't it? Loved that moment.

It's amazing how this show has only got better as it's gone on, not worse, or not even strayed into bumpy territory - it just gets better and better. It will be sad to see it end, but at the same time all good shows must - and should have - an ending, because you have something to build towards, and you have the chance to go out with an almighty bang that'll go down in television history. :cool:

6.6m eh? Blimey, there must be a considerable number of people catching up with the entire show at the very last moment.

I'm still stunned that this show has no place - bar Netflix - to be aired in the UK. It's really stupid - this is some of the very best TV drama ever, and yet you can only get it after-the-fact on DVD/BR, or on Netflix. :rockbrow: I saw the first season on FXUK a couple of years ago, and got the impression they were going to do all the series back-to-back, but they never did - so I caught up via the DVD boxsets last year.

kidgloves
24-Sep-2013, 11:25 PM
Haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_265321303&feature=iv&index=3&list=SP86F4D497FD3CACCE&src_vid=I2cS5Fv5xIQ&v=oDqGAUvWKkU

Tricky
25-Sep-2013, 10:30 PM
Flynn loves breakfast rap :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5rnkB3Ec3w

bassman
27-Sep-2013, 01:19 PM
UrRv9HRLUy4

kidgloves
27-Sep-2013, 05:12 PM
Huge LOLS here Bass.
That was brilliant.

MinionZombie
27-Sep-2013, 05:50 PM
haha, great stuff!

"NO SPOILERS!!!"

Wow - just a couple of days away and it's all done - I can't wait to see the finale, but at the same time it'll be sad to see it end ... but on the other hand I'll have an excuse to go back and watch the entire run from the first episode again and look for all the things I might have missed/forgotten along the way. :)

kidgloves
27-Sep-2013, 06:27 PM
Hank to appear in TWD :D

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1379541_10151850792871112_1320952556_n.jpg

MinionZombie
30-Sep-2013, 11:34 AM
Hank to appear in TWD :D

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1379541_10151850792871112_1320952556_n.jpg

:lol:

Poor Hank...

Well - there we are - it's all over folks.

What did everyone think of the finale?

I think it did a pretty damn good job of rounding things off neatly (in Breaking Bad terms), while leaving "what's next for..." possibilities open for the surviving characters, but also having it tinged with a lot of sadness and regret, and a pleasing dose of honesty from Walt.

Kinda strange it's all wrapped up now ... what a tip top show. :)

Oh well ... a DVD boxset marathon looms on the horizon. :D

kidgloves
30-Sep-2013, 11:55 AM
Fantastically satisfying ending.
Just about right morally

MinionZombie
30-Sep-2013, 06:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felina_%28Breaking_Bad%29

Blimey! According to Wiki, the finale raked in 10.3 million viewers (up from last week's 6.58)! I also read that the commercial slots were $400,000 a pop.

Cool to see that people have been catching up with the show via DVD etc right up to the very end. Going out with a bang, alright!

EvilNed
30-Sep-2013, 08:38 PM
I feel kinda sad. I've never seen anything that rivals Breaking Bad in quality on television. And now it's over. What a ride it's been.

Anyway, great episode. Pretty predicteable, except for the Schwartz part, but still great. Satisfying.

shootemindehead
02-Oct-2013, 03:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felina_%28Breaking_Bad%29

Blimey! According to Wiki, the finale raked in 10.3 million viewers (up from last week's 6.58)!

Why the f*ck would people tune in to watch an episode, the final episode, of something that they, more than likely, haven't seen the rest of? Just weird...

MinionZombie
02-Oct-2013, 05:31 PM
Why the f*ck would people tune in to watch an episode, the final episode, of something that they, more than likely, haven't seen the rest of? Just weird...

There was no doubt some of that going on, but with the steady upswing over the final eight episodes, there seems to also have been a major case of people catching up at the last minute.

But yeah, generally speaking, last episode lookie-loos, I don't understand that whatsoever, just like folks who watch occasional episodes of a show and then complain they don't follow what's going on. :p

Some people be crazy, yo. :p

Still, it was great that it went out on such a high note. :) I've been listening to "Baby Blue" by Badfinger a lot in the last couple of days (the music over the final shot), and not only did it fit really well with the overall tone of the show, and the finale itself, but it's a crackin' bit of music that I might have otherwise never heard - so thumbs up to BB for introducing me to that (and a few other) great songs over the seasons.

ProfessorChaos
02-Oct-2013, 10:47 PM
yeah i dug my best of badfinger cd out the other night and have been rocking to baby blue an awful lot over the last few days....like with the crystal blue persuasion montage, it was hair-raising to have songs i already knew and loved used so appropriately in my all-time favorite show.

as for the ending itself, i'd say it was almost perfect. my only complaint is that walt didn't have a chance to make ammends with walt jr....but that would've almost made the finale too perfect.

so sad that the show is really over.....but it certainly went out on top, which is bittersweet yet very satisfying. my only other gripe is how spoiled i became from watching it; i can't even pretend to give half a shit about anything else on tv, even the walking dead, which i'm less enthused about now more than ever. perhaps mob city will be decent when it arrives this december...

oh and:

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/thats-all-bitch-breaking-bad-meme.jpg

EvilNed
02-Oct-2013, 11:06 PM
I watched the finale again just now. Yeah, a great ending... I feel more at ease with it now, after a second viewing. I feel... ready to give the entire series another go.

I've only ever watched every episode once (except for the finale now) and it's been kinda spread out. So it'll be fun rewatching it all!

shootemindehead
03-Oct-2013, 10:01 AM
Yeh, a great series and a great ending.

I still think Jesse should have been whacked as well.

But wow Todd was a bit of a git, wasn't he? Didn't see the execution of whatshername (Jesse's ex) coming. That was a bit vicious.

It'll be a hard show to replace/top.

MinionZombie
03-Oct-2013, 10:22 AM
Prof - yeah, if they'd had some sort of Walt/Walt Jr scene, it would have been a bit too neat.

I think that was a strong way to do it though, as they did in the show, as it's a really sad moment. Initially Walt did all this for his family, and now he's lost them, most of all his son who wished death upon him the last time they spoke. Just seeing Walt watching his son from afar, hidden behind the laundry room, was just so sad.

I read some article somewhere where a writer for some newspaper or magazine or website or something said that the finale wasn't all that because it was just 'filling in logistical gaps' to get to the end point ... I think that entirely misses the point of the episode - the finale was all about conclusion and resolution. To consider it as just a functional piece really misses an awful lot - it's jam-packed with emotion, crammed-full with payoff, and offers the viewer satisfying loose-end tie-ups, while also leaving enough to the imagination that there's possibility. The morality of the finale is also quite grey in some regards, and as Cranston said himself, the way he threatens the Schwartzes (making them believe there's a hit out on them if they don't get that near-10-million to his family) is even scarier as an action than just killing them.

I'll definitely be giving the whole show another viewing in due course. I watched seasons 2 through 5A in a few weeks, with the beginning and end on a week-by-week basis, but it'll be nice to re-do it and find various things I missed/forgot about the first time around. That'll be something nice to save for a rainy day. :)

kidgloves
07-Oct-2013, 10:54 PM
Cool. I want one

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-08/16/breaking-bad-lego-set

http://cdni.wired.co.uk/1240x826/a_c/bad3_1.jpg

bassman
15-Oct-2013, 08:35 PM
You guys see that Sir Anthony Hopkins recently binged on the entire series of Breaking Bad and sent a letter to Bryan Cranston calling him one of the best actors alive? Coming from a legendary actor like Hopkins, that must have been cool for Cranston.

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2013, 10:15 AM
You guys see that Sir Anthony Hopkins recently binged on the entire series of Breaking Bad and sent a letter to Bryan Cranston calling him one of the best actors alive? Coming from a legendary actor like Hopkins, that must have been cool for Cranston.

Aye I saw that - pretty damn cool!

bassman
18-Nov-2013, 03:45 PM
Check out this alternate series ending that'll be featured on the complete box set in a week or so!

ZJok2UfASaA

Cranston always joked about it. Now it's a reality. :lol:

MinionZombie
18-Nov-2013, 04:21 PM
haha, saw this the other day - top stuff. :D

ProfessorChaos
26-Nov-2013, 03:50 AM
i am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my complete series barrel of blu-ray television perfection. it feels like christmas is coming early!:)

ProfessorChaos
13-Jan-2014, 01:41 AM
breaking bad won the golden globe tonight for best tv series - drama and bryan cranston won for best actor! how about them apples?

EDIT: and check out one of my sweet christmas gifts:

http://www.mezcotoyz.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/a/walterstuff.jpg

MinionZombie
13-Jan-2014, 09:46 AM
Cool news on the awards ... but hmmm, not seeing a picture. :confused:

ProfessorChaos
13-Jan-2014, 01:47 PM
christ, that's odd. i swear that the pic i posted last night was there before i logged off, and the text and [ img ] command was still entered in when i went to edit it. anywho, replaced picture, thanks for the heads-up. it's a mezco heisenberg action figure, which i'm leaving unopened, along with all my other neerd-memorabilia, such as my dawn of the dead figures, mars attacks figure, etc.

bassman
15-Jan-2014, 03:58 AM
I got the same figure as a Christmas gift, prof! I love it! More of a statue than anything else...