PDA

View Full Version : Who will the new Dr Who be?

Neil
04-Aug-2013, 09:08 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23537948

Speculation is mounting over who will replace Matt Smith in Doctor Who, with the announcement due on Sunday.

Smith, who has played the Time Lord since 2010, announced in June that he would be leaving in this year's Christmas special.

The past few weeks has seen a flurry of newspaper stories guessing at who might take over in the Tardis.

Early favourites included Harry Potter star Rupert Grint and Being Human actors Russell Tovey and Damien Molony.

As in previous years, some have suggested the role may go to a black actor, with Luther star Idris Elba, Homeland's David Harewood and former rapper Ashley Walters among those mentioned.

There have also been calls for a female Doctor, with Billie Piper, Olivia Colman and Dame Helen Mirren on some wish lists.

I think Peter Capaldi would be good!

EvilNed
04-Aug-2013, 10:02 AM
Will Smith.

Tricky
04-Aug-2013, 10:49 AM
Never mind a new Doctor, they need a new writer, it's pants! Too shouty and too much cheap CGI. Bring back this kind of stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OsXn8s-ik

MinionZombie
04-Aug-2013, 12:17 PM
1) They need an older Doctor - I agree that Capaldi, or someone like him, would do the trick.
2) Yep - new writers too. Moffat's got shoved up his own arse, and some of the guest writers are just awful (that episode about a girl singing at a feckin' planet, for example ... what utter horseshit that was).
3) It feels too much like an episode of Scooby Doo these days, but with misjudged false drama slapped over everything ... the tone of Who has been in rapid decline towards totally muddled territory since Moffat took over, and even before had it was slipping a bit.
4) That particular piece of music they use in every bloody episode? Yeah - they can shit-can that too ... it was good the first few times, but they've used it over and over and over again, and it's just annoying now.
5) Ideally, they should leave it be for a few years and come back totally fresh with entirely new people behind it - but with it's recent step-up in nerd circles across the Pond, that'll never happen.

The Who of my childhood (much of which was actually repeats from the 70s) was pretty spot-on. The tone was right, and it was scary - I remember being quite creeped out by that one about the Doctor down a mine fighting giant maggots.

That reminds me - they need to head back to the mini-series approach - 4 or 5 episodes telling one single story. Cramming an entire story into 45 minutes just doesn't cut it. What's more, they need to do adaptations of Who books - remember that really good two-parter where they Doctor forgot who he was and became a teacher around about WW1 time? That was a cracking two-parter - we need more of that!

Andy
04-Aug-2013, 02:02 PM
Whats the explanation for putting a new doctor between mcgann and ecclestone (john hurt?), so that technically.. smith is the 12th doctor and cannot regenerate? the doctor must die this time or they have broken their own mythology!

(i kinda tailed off half way through the smith series... didnt really warm to him as the doctor so the above sentence could well be horseshit and explained in a episode..)

Neil
04-Aug-2013, 09:06 PM
I loved Ecclestone as Dr Who, mainly because of the writing... Some of it was quite dark and moving at times!

- - - Updated - - -

We woz right! Good! - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23570354

dracenstein
07-Aug-2013, 09:13 PM
Plasma globes...I used to have a plasma globe...