PDA

View Full Version : Scream Factory's Collectors Edition of Day of the Dead (bluray & DVD)

kidgloves
21-Aug-2013, 05:14 PM
One for Shootmeindehead

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3247145/scream-factorys-day-of-the-dead-features-all-new-transfer/

Fans of Romero’s “Dead” series will rejoice on September 17, 2013, when the much-loved horror classic Day of the Dead makes its Blu-ray debut in a Collector’s Edition Blu-ray and DVD Combo Pack from Scream Factory. Featuring an all-new HD transfer of the film, this must-have collector’s edition contains a brand new interview with George A. Romero as well as a bevy of insightful bonus features, including a new documentary World’s End: The Legacy of Day of the Dead, new audio commentaries, behind the scenes footage and more!

In this the third film in the continuing saga of the undead from writer/director George A. Romero (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Survival of the Dead), “A small group of scientists and soldiers have taken refuge in an underground missile silo where they struggle to control the flesh-eating horror that walks the earth above. But will the final battle for the future of the human race be fought among the living or have they forever unleashed the hunger of the dead?”

Lori Cardille, Joe Pilato and Richard Liberty star in this controversial classic with groundbreaking gore effects by Tom Savini.

Day of the Dead Bonus Features:
New High Definition Transfer
New Documentary – World’s End: The Legacy of “Day of the Dead
NEW! UNDERGROUND: A Look into the DAY OF THE DEAD mines
Audio Commentary with writer/director George A. Romero, Special Make-up Effects artist Tom Savini, Production Designer Cletus Anderson and actress Lori Cardille
Audio Commentary with filmmaker Roger Avary
Behind-The-Scenes Footage from Special Make-up Effects Creator Tom Savini’s archives
Photo Galleries
Theatrical Trailers
TV Spots
And more…

Covers shite though

http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/day-of-the-dead-blu.jpg

The documentary is already out in the usual places (watching now)

MinionZombie
21-Aug-2013, 05:42 PM
The documentary is already out in the usual places (watching now)

What what what? Where?!

I quite like the cover, personally - I miss the days of painted artwork that took key images from the film and combined them - plenty to look at, art to admire etc. :)

kidgloves
21-Aug-2013, 07:04 PM
Documentary's brilliant.
Gonna buy this when it comes out. Very interested to see what the new transfer is like.

- - - Updated - - -

Just preordered it from bluraysforeveryone for £22.65 shipped.

http://www.bluraysforeveryone.com/store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=10933&category_id=6

shootemindehead
21-Aug-2013, 10:08 PM
That cover is awful.

Hey kid, can you PM me the location of the doc?

- - - Updated - - -

It's cool. I found a place.

Zombie369
22-Aug-2013, 02:32 PM
I actually like that cover. Like somebody already said it's kind of like those movie posters from the good ol days that used actual artwork to depict various scenes from movies (not that I was ever around for those days though :P ).

Christmas is only a few months away so that might be a good movie to add to my wish list.

bassman
22-Aug-2013, 02:54 PM
I love that cover. It would be awesome as a poster to put next to my Dawn painting from the poster book.

MinionZombie
22-Aug-2013, 05:06 PM
Good doc - several stories in there that I'd not known about, some featured zombies interviewed, a good all-round line-up of folks ... perhaps a smidge heavy on using clips from the movie, and could have used a couple of tweaks in the structuring of it all, but all-round it was a crackin' doc. :cool:

shootemindehead
23-Aug-2013, 09:12 AM
Jaysus...Joe Pilato's looking rough though.

The behind the scenes footage was great.

The zombies wafting away Rhode's stinky innards...ha ha...

Neil
23-Aug-2013, 02:15 PM
I assume there's an interview with O'Rear?

*ducks for cover*

kidgloves
12-Sep-2013, 07:05 PM
I've seen a lot of reviews for this release all positive but this website is the only one i've seen thats reliable.

It comes highly recommended with a much improved transfer.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8105/day_dead_86_sf.html

kidgloves
01-Oct-2013, 05:50 PM
Received this in the post today and skipping through it the PQ seems to be very good. The colours have noticeably been tweaked and are much more vibrant.

Edit.

I take back what I said about the cover art. Its actually quite nice on the slip cover and box.

Neil
02-Oct-2013, 08:28 AM
Received this in the post today and skipping through it the PQ seems to be very good. The colours have noticeably been tweaked and are much more vibrant.

Edit.

I take back what I said about the cover art. Its actually quite nice on the slip cover and box.

What about the general transfer/image quality?

kidgloves
02-Oct-2013, 09:18 PM
What about the general transfer/image quality?

Still haven't watched it through but I think this is about as good as it gets for Day. I thought the previous release was ok but this one has a lot of depth to the image with backgrounds showing up a lot more than I can remember. Theres a hell of a lot of film grain on show which I like.
It blows the Divimax version out of the water.

Ive just watched the opening city scene and the detail is astonishing.

- - - Updated - - -

Just watched this all the way through and the transfer is excellent. Colours are extremely vivid and the detail in a lot of the scenes is fantastic. There is the odd soft shot but thats down to the photography rather than the transfer. Lots and lots of grain so if that bothers you I would steer well clear.
Overall a very bright and clear presentation. The reds really pop.

Neil
03-Oct-2013, 03:24 PM
Right! So when does the UK get its versions? :(

kidgloves
03-Oct-2013, 06:19 PM
Right! So when does the UK get its versions? :(

You won't. Not the Scream Factory version anyway. They have no market share over here whatsoever

Neil
03-Oct-2013, 09:34 PM
You won't. Not the Scream Factory version anyway. They have no market share over here whatsoever

But, under another distributor!?

kidgloves
03-Oct-2013, 10:40 PM
But, under another distributor!?

Can't find any history of that happening unfortunately

Geordie9
14-Oct-2013, 10:03 PM
just got the documentary cant wait 2 watch it

Geordie9
18-Oct-2013, 11:44 AM
just watched it and absolutely loved it. Was great to see al the characters as they are now and talking about the movie. Was a bit surprised to hear that a lot of people didnt like the soundtrack as i thought the soundtrack was perfect. Gives me goosebumps of excitement every time i hear it! Also i liked the end when the cast reprised a few of the lines their characters had said. (Did any1 else think Miguel looked a bit weird with his dyed hair?)

MinionZombie
18-Oct-2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I was quite surprised by the (initial) disliking of the score - it's one of the best things about Day of the Dead, and it's the best score of any of GAR's flicks.

Neil
18-Oct-2013, 11:55 AM
Grrrr! I want this! :(

Geordie9
18-Oct-2013, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I was quite surprised by the (initial) disliking of the score - it's one of the best things about Day of the Dead, and it's the best score of any of GAR's flicks.
i totally agree

shootemindehead
19-Oct-2013, 12:04 AM
Been listening to the score all week in work on YouTube.

Love it