PDA

View Full Version : Syria - sarin was used in Damascus last month

Neil
01-Sep-2013, 11:19 PM
Wonder how messy this is going to get - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23918889

EvilNed
02-Sep-2013, 12:17 AM
It's a tragedy,

but correct me if I'm wrong, but what's the big deal? Wasn't Agent Orange used by the US in plenty during the Vietnam War? Against solely civilian targets? This just seems weird that suddenly the whole world is pointing fingers, when in fact we use chemical weapons whenever it suits our needs.

Also, I read that the CIA and MI:6 are funding the Syrian rebels - nothing "weird" about that I guess (but maybe morally debateable), however these Syrian rebels are also funded by - and allied with - the Al-Qaida.

So essentially, the US are funding their own enemies.

The conspiracy theorists go that the US is funding the syrian rebels because they know that they can't start a legitimate war against the Syrian regime, but they can topple it with a proxy war and then - in 10 years time - declare war on the Islamic extremists that will replace the current regime.

Mr. Clean
02-Sep-2013, 01:26 AM
Wonder how messy this is going to get - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23918889

Hopefully, those 12 Russian Warships hanging out in the Mediterranean keep the US from getting involved. Obama put himself in a bad position by drawing his line in the sand. Syria has used chemical weapons twice now....and he is looking to Congress to deny him the power to strike so he has something else to blame on Congress.

Score count: Bashar Al-Assad has given Obama the middle finger twice now......Vladimir Putin has given Obama the middle finger twice now as well......Once being Edward Snowden and the second being those 12 warships I mentioned earlier. Somewhat humorous to watch.

It's a tragedy,

but correct me if I'm wrong, but what's the big deal? Wasn't Agent Orange used by the US in plenty during the Vietnam War? Against solely civilian targets? This just seems weird that suddenly the whole world is pointing fingers, when in fact we use chemical weapons whenever it suits our needs.

Also, I read that the CIA and MI:6 are funding the Syrian rebels - nothing "weird" about that I guess (but maybe morally debateable), however these Syrian rebels are also funded by - and allied with - the Al-Qaida.

The conspiracy theorists go that the US is funding the syrian rebels because they know that they can't start a legitimate war against the Syrian regime, but they can topple it with a proxy war and then - in 10 years time - declare war on the Islamic extremists that will replace the current regime.

Agent Orange's primary purpose was to kill the jungle canopy along with other plants as a herbicide....(mega weed killer).......It's exposure to humans wasn't one sided either.....thousands of soldiers were exposed to it was well. The long term side effects probably weren't really all that thought out.

The main purpose of sarin gas is to kill or maim people. The only bigger no-no than using sarin gas is using it on civilian targets.......especially children.

Anyways, Chemical Weapons weren't illegal to use in war until 1993. So attempting to compare Syria to the U.S. in the Vietnam era isn't a fair or accurate comparison.

Also, Obama LOVES the enemy. He is still pissed at Egypt for kicking out his Muslim Brotherhood buddies.

shootemindehead
02-Sep-2013, 08:12 AM
The whole thing stinks.

I, for one, am glad that Britain has voted against so-called "miltary intervention" (or what used to be called war). There's clearly no public support for it and frankly I am extremely suspicious of the warmongers drum-beating. Little shits like Hague blood my blood. That little fucker should be made put on a tin hat and dropped off in Syria, if he's so eager to get involved. He can take Dave with him as well. And that runt Michael Gove can be used for bayonet practice.

With absolutely NOTHING to prove that Assad's forces used chemical weapons, it's truly a wonder that the American's and British are trying to stir up enough crap and push for bombing. I find it amazing that Cameron tried, at this time and with bugger all on the table, to get a vote passed so he could poodle up to Obama and tag along for the ride.

So far there's been nothing but allegation, claim, propaganda and lies touted around, regarding this conflict. A conflict, by the way, which is a civil war that the west has no business sticking its nose into.

And this bullshit that the US and Britain keep peddling that "...all the evidence" points to Assad using chemical weapons is absolutely laughable. What "evidence"? Show us. It's even more laughable, when there's Al Qaeda groups operating there too, who capabilities are certainly not beyond a simple chemical attack with sarin, or some other agent. For gods sake, just five guys carried out a sarin attack in Tokyo in the 90's, which led to thousands of casualties.

But, what is really sinister about all of this, is the fact that the US has been extremely silent about their boogyman, Al Qaeda, who are their de facto allies in this. An organisation, which we're told, slammed a few planes into targets in the States, just over ten years ago. The name hasn't even been mentioned recently, where before you couldn't turn on the news without hearing some nonsense about them.

So, Al Qaeda are the "good guys" now, eh. How Orwellian.

Either way, the whole thing is about marginalising Iran and strengthening Israel and America's position in the area. Once you cut through all the bullshit, that's all that's left.

- - - Updated - - -

Agent Orange's primary purpose was to kill the jungle canopy along with other plants as a herbicide....(mega weed killer).......It's exposure to humans wasn't one sided either.....thousands of soldiers were exposed to it was well. The long term side effects probably weren't really all that thought out.

It was thought out well enough. Despite having the friendly moniker of a "defoliant", it was still used as part of a "chemical war" programme. It was known that Agent Orange (or HO) and Agent LNX, had detrimental effects on human beings. The US Army, Monsanto and Dow both all enough tests done to conclude that when breathed in, the chemicals were extremely dangerous, both in the immediate and the long term. While the cancerous nature of the chemicals were suspected as possible in the 60's, the immediate nerve effects were apparent early on.

Anyways, Chemical Weapons weren't illegal to use in war until 1993. So attempting to compare Syria to the U.S. in the Vietnam era isn't a fair or accurate comparison.

I had a conversation recently with a chap whose brother was part of CBRN operations in England. He said that only when chemical weapons are used in warfare by a nation, outside of that country's boarders, is it considered illegal and then only when that country is a signatory to the chemical weapons act, which Syria isn't. When an agent is used within the boarders on the using nation, it's not.

I cannot vouch for the veracity of those words, but they certainly took me by surprise, especially with all the crap going on at the moment.

In addition, there have been reapeated attempts by the UN (who also consider CS gas as a chemical agent) to get aggressive chemical usage made illegal in all circumstances, including domestic use, but it has been voted against on numerous occasions. Mainly by the US.

Neil
02-Sep-2013, 08:47 AM
It's a tragedy,

It's just a mess... and you can't help but think throwing weapons at it in anyway is just going to fan the flames!

Neil
12-Sep-2013, 04:28 PM
Assad confirms chemical weapons plan - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24068867

Syria's President Bashar al-Assad has appeared on Russian TV to confirm that his country's chemical weapons will be placed under international control.

shootemindehead
12-Sep-2013, 04:35 PM
Putin's really thrown Obama a life line here. His bombing nonsense wasn't really gaining much support. It's a smart play by Russia TBH.

I honestly don't think Obama's heart was in it.