PDA

View Full Version : Deadwood and Summer TV

Geophyrd
12-Jul-2006, 12:43 PM
We're in a golden age for television...golden, I tell ya. This may ramble and go in different directions, but I'm really digging tv these days. At the bottom are some return dates for new tv...hope this helps.

I don't know if anyone here watches Deadwood. It is probably the most original and entertaining show I've ever see on television. I bet that fifteen years from now, communications majors and people taking creative writing classes will study this show for its dialogue, overlapping storylines and creative use of both spoken and unspoken language. Having said that, this (which is apparently Deadwood's last season except for 2 movies that have been promised) is the best season of one of the best shows on television.

If you haven't watched it, do yourself a favor. Slot out a weekend (this one would be good...its supposed to pour all over the East Coast all weekend), rent or buy the DVDs of season one and enjoy the slow burn that is this amazing series.

Other cool TV going on now:

Rescue Me: They've turned up the raunch factor this season and Marisa Tomei is sexier now than when she was on A Different World. She's basically playing her character from My Cousin Vinnie (for which she inexplicably won an Oscar) to a hysterical turn. Dennis Leary is apparently letting his storylines take a backseat to the characters and the show's characters are what makes it. And just as I was starting to like Sheila for the first time, they break her heart brutally.

4400: Who knew that USA could make something so worth watching? I wanna be a 4400. For anyone who says that Xmen Last Stand sucked, I direct them to the 4400, a postmodern take on superheros.

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia: I thought the show was funnier last season. Danny Devito was always its executive producer. This season, he's in front of the camera and I'm still undecided about whether its excellent or just really really good. Uhm, if you are capable of being offended, you probably will be.

Criss Angel: Mindfreak: Yeah, I know they're tricks. Could you do them?

Entourage

Big disappointments during the summer

Blade

Lucky Louie (never thought I'd see a show or movie with Pamela Adlon that I didn't like...this is it though)

Up and Coming for new TV Season:

Weeds Coming back on 8/14/06
The Wire Returns 9/10/06
Stargate (SG1 not that cheap spinoff Atlantis) coming back 7/14/06
Nip/Tuck (well September 19 but now that the stupid Carver storyline is out of the way, its probably going to get good again)
The Unit (amazing show, currently in reruns. Dennis Haybert deserved his Emmy nomination)
Sleeper Cell return tba
Thief- not yet renewed but here's hoping.
ShieldComing back 1/9/07
Battlestar Galactica - returns on 10/6/06. Best sci fi show ever
The L Word - returns on 1/07/07 and hopefully Max will not be back. However, Cybill Shepard will be.
Lost - returns on 10/11/06
Rome - slated to return March 11, 07
Sopranos - March 11, 07

bassman
12-Jul-2006, 01:00 PM
Hrmm...never seen any of them. Most of them I've never heard of either...

I'm not much of a tv guy, though. With the exception of a few things on Comedy Central and Adult Swim. I watch TV to laugh.....I hate watching all this drama and "reality" show crap they have these days...

Kaos
12-Jul-2006, 02:02 PM
Deadwood, by far, is my favorite show on TV. I will mourn it after its last season. I am glad to hear there are movies in the works though. I was considering getting the show on DVD, but HBO has expressed an interest in releasing Deadwood in a HDTV format (either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD I forget which). I generally watch the show in HD.

The last episode was epic. The fight between Dan and The Captain is unforgetable. :eek:

p2501
12-Jul-2006, 02:05 PM
****, Haysbert was nominated for an emmy? that owns!

i just got into deadwood this season, so i'm in the process of downloading seasons 1&2. I have to say this has almost redeemed HBO for the demise of Carnivale. the language is just profound, and i just adore Calamity Jane.

also, was it me or did the writing for this past season on the L word just go to ****? season three just sort of meandered into a really pathetic season finale.

DjfunkmasterG
12-Jul-2006, 04:05 PM
I am a huge Entourage fan. I only recently started watching the show, but DAMN I was hooked quick. I have been on a frenzy to catch older stuff with HBO Ondemand.

Also, I just bought a 50" HD DLP Tv and it comes today, so i will now be switching over to HBO HD and watching my programming. :D

Geophyrd
13-Jul-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't know what happened to the L Word this year.

Jenny, who spent most of Season 1 as a lovable kind of spacy girl, got all hard and fell for Max, a story line that I found deeply and terribly disturbing. If I never see the actress who played Max again, that would be just fine with me. But her whole support of a girl-surgically-turned-into-a-guy was just too out there. In the words of her ex-fiance, 'The next time we see Jenny she may be with a german shepard.'

And Bette, that alpha-female who was such a powerhouse in Season 1 was turned pathetic. The whole Tina turning straight thing was probably true to life. Tina was straight after all before Bette, but let's face it, Bette changed really radically, completely out of character. It would have been better if they spent more time focussing on the death of her father. And the baby was aidiculous storyline that violated a really impressive character. That wheelchair-bound social worker was the sign that something last seasons was really awry.

The only piece that I thought was handled well last season was Dana's death. I'm going to miss Erin Daniels on the show. I expect I'll see her in a lot of crap movies from now on (remember her in HO10KCorpses?). I know her pilot (the one I think she quit the show to go do) wasn't picked up.

Oh, I did hear that Marina is going to be back, which is funny. Marina disappeared after season 1 with a backhanded explanation (she had a breakdown and went back to France). I heard that she hated the show and everyone on it, particularly Ilene Chaiken, so I guess we'll see. She did two other shows since L Word, one of which was cancelled (Dr. Vegas), the other is the hit, the 4400 but that's an ensemble show.

p2501
13-Jul-2006, 01:47 PM
yeah WTF was with the wheelchair lady? it was like the random plot point insetation. she'd roll in spout some Fundie bull**** and then leave.

in reality that woman would have been sued into unemployment, and her gaency into oblivion.

but anyway.....

yeah the writing went to ****. the max story line was ok. not great and it most certainly could have been done better. but i like the actress, so i'm more so blaming the character on bad writing. likewise yeah they emasculated most of the other characters for no apparent reason. regardless, anything with Mia kirshner is worth watching. but it's sad to see that the show has degraded into just that. something i watch to catch chicks makin out.

even Shane got boring, who the **** did that happen?

AcesandEights
13-Jul-2006, 10:57 PM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is funny as hell! Season 2 is a bit rough though as they had to shoot 10 episodes all at the same time, which is insane, because they only had Devito for a few weeks. It really rushed the production, so hopefully they will do well ebough to get a 3rd season and Devito will either make more time, or step down his camera time.

How To Get Laid at an Anti-Abortion Rally
g13cwcCR2os

Episode Six Trailer: The Gang Finds A Dead Guy (My favorite episode, probably)
njXZIZJj_X8

'Best' of Season One (not really the best, but a decent collection)
KtnNpM32THs

Damn I wish I could find some of the funnier clips from the show. I love it!

EDIT: Fixed links

OddDNA
13-Jul-2006, 11:26 PM
Watched the premiere of Deadwood, diditn like it, never watched again.

I like Sapranos....over for awhile.

Weeds was really good....coming back soon.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Family Guy....even the re-runs are worth watching.

Rome....damn thats a good show...but off for awhile.

and the for which I am most ashamed...Project Runway...I watch with my GF.

Neil
14-Jul-2006, 06:03 AM
I didn't think much of Rome....

Danny
14-Jul-2006, 06:20 AM
Other cool TV going on now:

Rescue Me: They've turned up the raunch factor this season and Marisa Tomei is sexier now than when she was on A Different World. She's basically playing her character from My Cousin Vinnie (for which she inexplicably won an Oscar) to a hysterical turn. Dennis Leary is apparently letting his storylines take a backseat to the characters and the show's characters are what makes it. And just as I was starting to like Sheila for the first time, they break her heart brutally.

4400: Who knew that USA could make something so worth watching? I wanna be a 4400. For anyone who says that Xmen Last Stand sucked, I direct them to the 4400, a postmodern take on superheros.

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia: I thought the show was funnier last season. Danny Devito was always its executive producer. This season, he's in front of the camera and I'm still undecided about whether its excellent or just really really good. Uhm, if you are capable of being offended, you probably will be.

Criss Angel: Mindfreak: Yeah, I know they're tricks. Could you do them?

Entourage

Big disappointments during the summer

Blade

Lucky Louie (never thought I'd see a show or movie with Pamela Adlon that I didn't like...this is it though)

Up and Coming for new TV Season:

Weeds Coming back on 8/14/06
The Wire Returns 9/10/06
Stargate (SG1 not that cheap spinoff Atlantis) coming back 7/14/06
Nip/Tuck (well September 19 but now that the stupid Carver storyline is out of the way, its probably going to get good again)
The Unit (amazing show, currently in reruns. Dennis Haybert deserved his Emmy nomination)
Sleeper Cell return tba
Thief- not yet renewed but here's hoping.
ShieldComing back 1/9/07
Battlestar Galactica - returns on 10/6/06. Best sci fi show ever
The L Word - returns on 1/07/07 and hopefully Max will not be back. However, Cybill Shepard will be.
Lost - returns on 10/11/06
Rome - slated to return March 11, 07
Sopranos - March 11, 07

heres my 2 cents

dead wood, latest season is really good but the first one sucked ass
rescue me - didnt think id like it but its one of those shows that you put on whilst channel surfing and find youve watched the whole thing
the 4400 - a steaming turd, started out good, it tired to be like spielbergs taken but falls short, id rather see this dead and buried and see a return season of threshold instead
i dont really like its allways sunny its too mutch like alan ricker controls the universe only more towny
weeds was another i found surprisingly good and ill probably watch season 2
stargate - ive been a fan since the movie and wathc it whenever its on, dont like atlantis as mutch but its still good.
nip/tuck i didnt like it till the stupid carver story which was stupid really but good tv.
the unit - never heard of it.
sleeper cell - crap
thief - uber crap
the shield - awesome ,even if the lead is a rip off of phil mitchel:lol:
battlestar galactica, best sci fi series since stagate or star trek, way under rated.
the l word - i dont watch living tv, ever.
lost - hate it, too mutch like lord of the flies on lsd
rome - never heard of it.
the sopranos - well its the freakin' sopranos it rocks.:D

anyone ever catch that english show 'hex' which was suppose dto be the british buffy?, it sucked balls, the lead was killed off at the start of season 2, now thats just bad writing.:barf:

p2501
14-Jul-2006, 02:05 PM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is funny as hell! Season 2 is a bit rough though as they had to shoot 10 episodes all at the same time, which is insane, because they only had Devito for a few weeks. It really rushed the production, so hopefully they will do well ebough to get a 3rd season and Devito will either make more time, or step down his camera time

EDIT: Fixed links

ok, i'm hooked. the abortion thing had me. but the nazi uniform was pure fried gold.

Tullaryx
14-Jul-2006, 03:37 PM
I may be one of the few people who never got into The Sopranos despite trying many times watching it to see if it'll grow on me.

erisi236
14-Jul-2006, 03:48 PM
Nightmares and Dreamscapes was the show I was most looking forward to seeing this summer, and it rules just like I thought it would :)

Tullaryx
14-Jul-2006, 03:55 PM
Nightmares and Dreamscapes was the show I was most looking forward to seeing this summer, and it rules just like I thought it would :)

I just saw the toy episode. Man, that was a great adaptation. And I think there was not a single line said throughout the episode. Great episode all-around.

Geophyrd
14-Jul-2006, 05:51 PM
I have it taped on ReplayTV and awaiting the time when I have the time. Can't wait, glad to hear y'all liked it. Now I'm really looking forward to it.

AcesandEights
14-Jul-2006, 07:48 PM
I just saw the Crouch End portion the other night. It was pretty good, but not scary. I wonder if it would have been worth my time as a read. I did love the references to Cthulhu, Youg-sothoth, Nyarlathotep and the rest of the mythos, though, and I've always thought Claire Forlani was painfully beautiful. Those two bits made it appealing enough.