PDA

View Full Version : Edge Of Tomorrow (film) - Tom Cruise scifi

Neil
12-Dec-2013, 03:08 PM
uE3JMfuPFdQ

EvilNed
12-Dec-2013, 04:09 PM
Looks great. But I'm easily sold by Tom Cruise.

AcesandEights
12-Dec-2013, 04:21 PM
Looks great. But I'm easily sold by Tom Cruise.

That genuinely surprises me. I thought you were a borderline nichtster, EvilNed, but you definitely have an open mind.

Me? I'm tired of Tom Cruise. He can still do quite well, but...eh.

krisvds
12-Dec-2013, 05:06 PM
if he's reliving the same day over and over again he really should be getting into Emiliy Blunt's pants instead of donning those metallic things

EvilNed
12-Dec-2013, 11:31 PM
That genuinely surprises me. I thought you were a borderline nichtster, EvilNed, but you definitely have an open mind.

Me? I'm tired of Tom Cruise. He can still do quite well, but...eh.

A what?

I do usually think Hollywood films have taken a turn for the absolute worst. Since they started costing 200 million, the scripts have become so crap and the final product is nearly always a big pile of dogshit. I sense it's because when a film costs that much money, every measure has to be taken that it'll sell well, including overstating things, and forcing stupid emotional moments down people's throats.

But Tom Cruise is usually a sign of quality, in my book. Oblivion was meh, I agree, but Jack Reacher was great. As was the latest MI film.

kidgloves
13-Dec-2013, 04:15 PM
Agree about the meh'ness of Oblivion but this looks great.
Tom Cruise is an excellent actor imho

Neil
12-May-2014, 09:43 PM
J9hQoft2AeU

Neil
24-May-2014, 04:07 PM
Cinema Blend loves it - http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Edge-Of-Tomorrow-6843.html

The movie positively pulses with adrenaline, reflected in its powerful performances, clever cuts and its fluid yet exhilarating cinematography that weaves around heroes, explosions, and spiraling space monsters. Edge of Tomorrow will leave you breathless and grinning. Simply put, this is why we go to the movies.

Neil
01-Jun-2014, 09:25 PM
Have to say a fairly good solid film. A some what daft premise, and ending, but a good fun ride IMHO. 7/10

savethelastone
19-Aug-2014, 04:16 AM
Edge of Tomorrow rocks, Must be watched in HD or Blue ray, Tom Cruises last two movies have been great. On a scale of 1-10 this is a solid 8+. The girl is hot, kicks major ass. Tom is a nerd who learns to save the day. Great action. Any one else seen this yet?

MinionZombie
19-Aug-2014, 08:44 AM
Not seen it yet, but I'll see about getting it on home video as I've heard universally good things about it and it does look like a cool flick. I read that it apparently didn't light the box office on fire, maybe there's just too much competition out there/people are being more choosy in which films they pay through the nose for. Anyway - I'm looking forward to seeing it sometime soon.

shootemindehead
19-Aug-2014, 08:03 PM
Yeh. Saw it last month or so. Thought it was pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

I read that it apparently didn't light the box office on fire, maybe there's just too much competition out there/people are being more choosy in which films they pay through the nose for.

Sci-Fi is always a hard pull.

'Oblivion' was a good flick too, but didn't do too well at the BO either.

MinionZombie
20-Aug-2014, 10:08 AM
Sci-Fi is always a hard pull.

'Oblivion' was a good flick too, but didn't do too well at the BO either.

I guess, well, particularly when it's definitively sci-fi. If the flick can be easily viewed as a different genre/mix of genres by mainstream audiences (e.g. Independence Day as a disaster movie with sci-fi elements) then it can do stonking business, but Edge Of Tomorrow does seem to be very much a sci-fi flick. It looks good though.

"Oblivion" - I enjoyed it, and it was very stylish, but it was also quite derivative, cherry-picking ideas and visuals from so many sci-fi touchstones over the decades. Fun while it lasted, and with a great soundtrack (woo, M83! :) ), but it was a little lacking ... like it didn't quite punch through to the 'next level', for me anyway.

shootemindehead
20-Aug-2014, 01:16 PM
For me, some films don't need that punch through to the next level. I can enjoy them on the level they stay at.

Sometimes understated is good.

It certainly sags a little in the latter half, but overall, it was a very good sci-fi film, with an interesting plot, well told. I think most of the disappointed crowd were expecting something different because the Cruiser. If he hadn't been in it, I think it would have been better received by a lot of the naysayers.

AcesandEights
20-Aug-2014, 03:20 PM
I was so glad to have seen this in the theaters. Very solidly put together sci fi actioner with thoughtful pace and nice follow through to the ending, despite the predictability it suffered from.

follyu
05-Sep-2014, 10:14 AM
Edge of Tomorrow One of the best acted movies of Tom Cruise in last 2 years.