PDA

View Full Version : The Tomorrow People (TV series) - US remake

Neil
08-Jan-2014, 10:36 AM
So the US version of the 1970s/80s British TV series is about to start airing over here in the UK... Do I bother watching it?

xez4o1ujOPI

AcesandEights
08-Jan-2014, 01:25 PM
So the US version of the 1970s/80s British TV series is about to start airing over here in the UK... Do I bother watching it?

I don't know, Neil. The whole thing only sounds vaguely familiar to me. Was the original version done well? Still hold up?

Apparently the new version:

received mixed reviews, scoring a 50 out of 100 on the review aggregator Metacritic.

Neil
09-Jan-2014, 10:58 AM
I don't know, Neil. The whole thing only sounds vaguely familiar to me. Was the original version done well? Still hold up?
Very low budget but had a strong cult following as quite unique for it's time. Aimed at kids/teenage audience but was quite dark!

shootemindehead
10-Jan-2014, 02:31 AM
You see this is the problem /\

No offence to the Yanks, but they'll make an absolute balls of this. I can tell you now, they'll take a dark, moody sci-fi series and snazz it up until it's turned into a mediocre pile of unrecognisable shite.

Because they just won't get what make the original so good in the first place.

There's been rumours flying around of a 'Blakes 7' remake too, for a while now, and I hope to Christ that never happens. That was another example of a moody 70's TV show made in a way that only the Brits could manage. Done with zero budget, complete seriousness and devoid of any humour at all, which would be absolutely ruined if made with today's TV tropes intact.

Neil
10-Jan-2014, 09:15 AM
There's been rumours flying around of a 'Blakes 7' remake too, for a while now, and I hope to Christ that never happens. That was another example of a moody 70's TV show made in a way that only the Brits could manage. Done with zero budget, complete seriousness and devoid of any humour at all, which would be absolutely ruined if made with today's TV tropes intact.

Given the current quality of remakes, I concur!

Blake 7 would need to be bleak, dark and depressing... Instead we'd get something sexy and glitzy :(