PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Piitsburgh & Monroeville

petroag
13-Jan-2014, 07:28 PM
Been a huge living dead fan ever since seeing Dawn of the Dead at a midnight screening at the local mall back in 1982.

I have never been to Pittsburgh but will be heading up next Monday as part of a job assignment. I have several hours Monday afternoon and evening to take in the sights.

I'm considering a quick drive over to the Monroeville Mall to see the DOTD mall in person. If it was closer to 1978, that would be my zombie Nirvana. But I have heard that there have been so many changes over the years that a mall visit just isn't what it used to be.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Is the mall still worth making a quick trip to visit? If nothing else, it would be cool to get a look at the hallway and checking out the exterior, even if so much else is already gone. Any other zombie/Romero sights worth checking out that are close to the Pittsburgh area? I thought about a visit to the Zombie Museum that just recently relocated from the Mall to Evans City. But they are closed on Monday and Tuesdays....

Thanks guys for any suggestions that you might have!

Geordie9
14-Jan-2014, 05:47 PM
im jealous!! haha, it would be a dream of mine to visit the monroeville mall & pittsburgh! hope you enjoy it!

petroag
14-Jan-2014, 09:22 PM
I wish it had happened a few years earlier so I could see the Mall while JC Penney was still in its original location. Oh well.... still be cool to check out the hallway, the bridge on the first floor, parking lots, etc.

I thought about hitting the Zombie Museum up in Evans City or the House of the Dead store in downtown Pittsburgh but they are both closed on Monday.

Anyone know what is located in the old Latent Images office space in Pittsburgh? Would be cool to take a look but I assume that it is private property and off limits...

AcesandEights
15-Jan-2014, 01:59 PM
I haven't been yet, myself, but as you say a lot has changed. I'd do a quick forum search and see what people have recommended in other, similar threads if you don't see too many responses in this one.

Neil
15-Jan-2014, 02:09 PM
Been a huge living dead fan ever since seeing Dawn of the Dead at a midnight screening at the local mall back in 1982.

I have never been to Pittsburgh but will be heading up next Monday as part of a job assignment. I have several hours Monday afternoon and evening to take in the sights
Assume you've seen these?
http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/mmbroch.html
http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/dawn_nowandthen.html

BTW - If/when you go, if you manage to get any shots of the mall as it currently is, that we can compare to 1978, please do post them here!

petroag
15-Jan-2014, 04:20 PM
BTW - If/when you go, if you manage to get any shots of the mall as it currently is, that we can compare to 1978, please do post them here!

Thanks Neil for the links to those threads. I hadn't seen those previously.

I'll certainly try and take some pictures and document just what changes have been made.

My wife thinks it hilarious that her husband is getting so excited about a trip to a shopping mall. But then again, she has put up with me for the last two decades as I offered up running commentary as to the fortification and suitability of every other shopping mall we have ever entered. She ranks malls based on variety of stores, ease of parking, etc. I rank my malls based on number and types of entrances, number of levels, number of restaurants, sporting goods stores, etc.

Neil
16-Jan-2014, 03:31 PM
Thanks Neil for the links to those threads. I hadn't seen those previously.

I'll certainly try and take some pictures and document just what changes have been made.

My wife thinks it hilarious that her husband is getting so excited about a trip to a shopping mall. But then again, she has put up with me for the last two decades as I offered up running commentary as to the fortification and suitability of every other shopping mall we have ever entered. She ranks malls based on variety of stores, ease of parking, etc. I rank my malls based on number and types of entrances, number of levels, number of restaurants, sporting goods stores, etc.

There's also this too which might be of interest, if you haven't already spotted it - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=10582