PDA

View Full Version : The Place Beyond the Pines

ProfessorChaos
14-Jan-2014, 09:56 AM
has anyone else watched this? sat through it last night, it's a little lengthy with a run-time of almost 2 1/2 hours, and drags a bit in a few spots, but i found it to be quite an emotional ride with a lot of very powerful moments. not really what i expected at times, a tad predictable at other times, but a very moving and enjoyable film overall. will probably sit down for a second viewing with the ladyfriend sometime in the very near future and will most likely end up picking up a copy for the home library.

i would normally post a youtube video of the trailer, but it really gives a lot of the early plot elements away and makes it seem more of a crime/action flick....i would put it in the drama category. it's almost better to go into this one without seeing the trailer in my opinion.

EvilNed
14-Jan-2014, 12:27 PM
Does Ryan Gosling act in this one, or does he just appear (as is his usual routine)?

AcesandEights
14-Jan-2014, 01:33 PM
Does Ryan Gosling act in this one, or does he just appear (as is his usual routine)?

*Mumble, mumble*

*Pout broodingly at camera*

*Mumble, mumble?*

ProfessorChaos
14-Jan-2014, 10:23 PM
without giving much away, he's not really in the film but for the first hour or so. i've not seen much else that he's been in, but i found his character rather interesting in this.

bassman
15-Jan-2014, 04:02 AM
Haven't seen "pines", but I'm guessing the Gosling complainers haven't seen Drive. Check it out...

ProfessorChaos
15-Jan-2014, 06:03 AM
haven't seen "drive", but after watching the trailer i'm interested in it. anything with bryan cranston in it is worth checking out (okay, except his voice work on power rangers), and christina hendricks and all her lovely womanly parts are in it, so that makes it even more watchable...will look into that one soon.

EvilNed
15-Jan-2014, 08:58 AM
Haven't seen "pines", but I'm guessing the Gosling complainers haven't seen Drive. Check it out...

No, true, I have not. But I've seen more or less every other Nicholas Windin Refn film, including Valhalla Rising and Only God Forgives, so you'll forgive me for not dwelving deeper into this man's career...

AcesandEights
15-Jan-2014, 01:36 PM

Drive is pretty good, though sedate, and I kind of like Gosling, but that is despite his sometimes hamburgleresque delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen more or less every other Nicholas Windin Refn film, including Valhalla Rising

At times visually beautiful, however that movie is an empty pillowcase of a film.

rongravy
09-Feb-2014, 12:15 AM
Hey, girl...
I'm not going to lie, I liked it quite a bit.
I mean, I knew the kids of both were going to hook up down the road, but when Gosling died about 45 minutes into it, I originally had thought it was over. I had to check the timer to make sure it wasn't.
I will say you might want to be in the proper mode for watching it, as it does slow down later.
Of course, who isn't in the mood for a braless Eva Mendes?