PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise sued for $1bn

Neil
05-Feb-2014, 11:23 AM
The makers of Tom Cruise film Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol are being sued for $1 billion (£613 million) by a man who claims its script was based on his copyrighted screenplay.

Timothy Patrick McLanahan claims the 2011 release was "illegally written and produced" from his 1998 script Head On.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26046534

Don't quite see how he's entitled to $1b, but it might prove an interesting case if his script proves to be similar!

MinionZombie
05-Feb-2014, 05:00 PM
Interesting.

No doubt seeking a billion is more to do with creating headlines and garnering attention for the case - which seems to be working out quite well.

I would like to know why MI4 is apparently so close to the "Head On" screenplay and judge for myself, though.

EvilNed
05-Feb-2014, 05:34 PM
What's so specific about MI4 anyway?

Burj Khalifah? Not built in 1998.

Swedish terrorists? Seems more like the casting decision influencing the script.

Prologue in Moscow? Yeah, probably the first Spy movie to attempt that...

MinionZombie
05-Feb-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking Ned. I've seen the movie a couple of times and rather enjoyed it, but I can't think of any element that was particularly unique or stand-out. Again, I'd like to see some sort of argument put to the public about why MI4 is apparently a rip-off of this dude's script, but at the same time you're going to end up with similar elements in these kinds of movies.

Now, if you've essentially just taken someone's script word-for-word, then you've got a serious problem ... but I doubt that's the case at all. Such major film productions would surely be doing everything possible to protect themselves legally.

MoonSylver
05-Feb-2014, 09:21 PM
He wrote a script about an insane couch jumping midget from a cult who plays a secret agent. Seems pretty specific to me. :lol:

Neil
06-Feb-2014, 08:37 AM
He wrote a script about an insane couch jumping midget from a cult who plays a secret agent. Seems pretty specific to me. :lol:

Ouch! :)

blind2d
08-Feb-2014, 02:50 AM
Head On! Apply directly to the forehead! Head On! Apply directly to the forehead! Seriously though... This is silly. Why people gotta sue? Life is short, y'know?