PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! TWD 4x11 "Claimed" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

MinionZombie
23-Feb-2014, 10:00 AM
Please keep all talk of episode 4x11 "Claimed" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

The Walking Dead Episode 411 – Claimed: “Just when Rick thinks he’s going to be able to relax, he’s faced with multiple immediate threats. Other members of the group deal with their past”

Written by: Nichole Beattie & Seth Hoffman
Directed by: Seith Mann

Seith Mann previously directed episode 3x10 "Home", while Nichole Beattie wrote (among others) episode 4x06 "Live Bait", while Seth Hoffman has previously written 4x08 "Too Far Gone".

AcesandEights
23-Feb-2014, 03:29 PM
Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Yes, please :)

zombieparanoia
24-Feb-2014, 07:02 AM
I'm back to wondering wtf rick is thinking half the time. Ok he hides under the bed because hes unarmed but why leave out the side the guys leg is clearly hanging off? and then why not grab the gun that was on the bed 5 feet in front of him when the other guy was coming up the stairs instead of going into the bathroom? or waiting forever instead of just shooting the guy on the porch? I just don't get his thinking sometimes.

And so far Abraham Ford is really not blowing my skirt up, it just feels like poor casting. And is Eugene autistic? He sure seemed it with the gun issue and his "a lack of understanding of rapid fire weapons" excuses. And the "it's classified" may have played in the comics but I would shoot someone in the face if they told me that I couldn't know something because it was classified more than a year after the zombie apocalypse has happened.

Rottedfreak
24-Feb-2014, 11:29 AM
And what was with that guy strangling the other one to death? he should have at least stabbed him in the head after it so he doesn't reanimate while he's asleep.

kidgloves
24-Feb-2014, 01:17 PM
Loved it. The tension was unbelievable throughout. Cracking stuff

MinionZombie
24-Feb-2014, 01:19 PM
Another solid episode. A tad slow in some parts, but over all a good one.

I think it's safe to say we experienced "the hunters" in this episode - I really dug how they rarely showed their faces, and we only caught glimpses of them. Hopefully we'll get to see more of them in due course, it'd be a damn shame to just leave their subplot and do nothing more with it ... so hopefully we'll get some more.

I enjoyed the Michonne/Carl team-up and feels sesh - she's only willing to reveal her inner turmoil to him, and I dug their interplay throughout the episode. Another thing I loved was the 'implied narrative' of what had happened in that house - a whole family were asleep and died. Although I'm not sure by what means, there didn't seem to be gunshots to their heads (right?), so even if they were poisoned, they would have come back ... the girl in the corner shot herself though, clearly, so I'm assuming she killed her family or something like that (creepy foreshadowing, perhaps?).

*GOES TO CHECK*

Well, looking closer, there's definitely dried blood on the pillow beneath the parents' heads - and it looks like there's either a gunshot or knife wound in the mother's body's forehead. It's unclear with the two children side-by-side, but perhaps a knife to the brain? I'm assuming that was KNB's thinking - but it would have been better if that had been just a little bit clearer.

Liking Abraham, Eugene, and Rosita - they feel like their comic counterparts. We'll have to give them time to settle in, we didn't get a lot of time with them in this episode. I wonder what it'd be like having Tyreese and Abraham together - two burly dudes with anger issues ... hmmm.

I'm back to wondering wtf rick is thinking half the time. Ok he hides under the bed because hes unarmed but why leave out the side the guys leg is clearly hanging off? and then why not grab the gun that was on the bed 5 feet in front of him when the other guy was coming up the stairs instead of going into the bathroom? or waiting forever instead of just shooting the guy on the porch? I just don't get his thinking sometimes.

And so far Abraham Ford is really not blowing my skirt up, it just feels like poor casting. And is Eugene autistic? He sure seemed it with the gun issue and his "a lack of understanding of rapid fire weapons" excuses. And the "it's classified" may have played in the comics but I would shoot someone in the face if they told me that I couldn't know something because it was classified more than a year after the zombie apocalypse has happened.

1) He didn't take the gun because then they'd damn well know someone was in the house with them. He was going to take it, but the person whose gun it was came back up the stairs, and without a safe exit from the house secured yet, Rick had to pretend he wasn't there still. Likewise, he didn't go in all guns blazing with the guy on the porch because there's at least three, possibly four, conscious dudes with automatic weapons who are obviously rather bad guys. It'd be idiotic to kick off with them - if he can get out unseen and unheard, then good.

2) Now, I would have preferred if the reason Eugene shot the fuel tank by accident was because a walker had grabbed his shoulder, and he turned in fright and did it ... a small tweak would have made that mistake better.

"Classified" or not, shooting someone who is saying they know what's causing this mess would be a really stupid idea, just because they irk you. :rolleyes:

And what was with that guy strangling the other one to death? he should have at least stabbed him in the head after it so he doesn't reanimate while he's asleep.

He only choked him out - there was a line of reference saying he was just passed out.

*edit*

Agreed with kidgloves - excellent tension in this episode during the scenes with Rick. :cool:

TWD 4x11 Memes:

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/crazy-cheese-edition-walking-dead-4x11.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ySaYctFVce0/UwtOVlC8MyI/AAAAAAAACsA/4ERVYUh8_Q0/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Michonne_Carl_Bam_C razy_Cheese_4x11_DeadShed.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LitMWNIFanI/UwtOWDwU7VI/AAAAAAAACsc/-JlYb6c9hiw/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Rick_Michonne_Carl_ Train_Tracks_Stuff_Things_Thangs_Direction_Destina tion_4x11_DeadShed.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ICbQZ2ryML8/UwtOVtHjDwI/AAAAAAAACsQ/AbzC___7hg0/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Abraham_Eugene_Smar ter_Idiot_Fuel_Tank_Shot_4x11_DeadShed.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_81yH-_Rjk4/UwtOW50MYII/AAAAAAAACsY/Mqn7R5-tzb4/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Rick_Michonne_Chang e_Shirt_4x11_DeadShed.jpg

AcesandEights
24-Feb-2014, 02:55 PM

He was still breathing when he slumped...I assumed he choked him out, not killed him. Similar strain of thought came,up in the talking dead.

Legion2213
24-Feb-2014, 05:13 PM
Enjoyed this one..Michonne seems to have given up altogether on her tough silent image and seems far more relaxed being herself around people she has learned to love and trust. I warm to her character more and more each episode. The old Michonne hid/buried a lot of genuine humanity and sense of humour under her frowning visage.

Really enjoyed the Rick scenes, he was really panicked to the point of shitting his pants, it must come as a shock to be so vulnerable all of a sudden, even at their worst, the group have always been well armed and able to stand tall and deal with threats they are confronted with, this was a bad moment for him, and it showed.

Hope the Sgt and his crew get more fleshed out, as others said, they haven't really hit any sweet spots. Not impressed with Daisy Duke at all...I'm sure that hot pants aren't the best choice of clothing in a world full of bitey things and potential groups of rapists/marauders, or even a world where you might have to run through some bushes now and then...her whole outfit seems like a really cheap and ill thought out idea by the wardrobe and script people (who must 14 year guys judging by the way they kitted her out)...get her in some fucking jeans and a shirt or something.

sandrock74
24-Feb-2014, 08:51 PM
Not impressed with Daisy Duke at all...I'm sure that hot pants aren't the best choice of clothing in a world full of bitey things and potential groups of rapists/marauders, or even a world where you might have to run through some bushes now and then...her whole outfit seems like a really cheap and ill thought out idea by the wardrobe and script people (who must 14 year guys judging by the way they kitted her out)...get her in some fucking jeans and a shirt or something.

Most likely not going to happen, as that's been her default look in the comic book since her first appearance.

Morto Vivente
24-Feb-2014, 10:51 PM
Really enjoyed the Rick scenes, he was really panicked to the point of shitting his pants, it must come as a shock to be so vulnerable all of a sudden, even at their worst, the group have always been well armed and able to stand tall and deal with threats they are confronted with, this was a bad moment for him, and it showed.

Hope the Sgt and his crew get more fleshed out, as others said, they haven't really hit any sweet spots. Not impressed with Daisy Duke at all...I'm sure that hot pants aren't the best choice of clothing in a world full of bitey things and potential groups of rapists/marauders, or even a world where you might have to run through some bushes now and then...her whole outfit seems like a really cheap and ill thought out idea by the wardrobe and script people (who must 14 year guys judging by the way they kitted her out)...get her in some fucking jeans and a shirt or something.

Agreed. The scenes with Rick were scripted well IMO, considering he just had the crap kicked out of him, he has no gun, no support and he's also out numbered. He came across as anything but invulnerable this time.

As for "Daisy Duke" :lol:, her comic image doesn't translate to the screen IMO. Christ, imagine if Rosita became a walker in those shorts. :barf:

zombieparanoia
25-Feb-2014, 02:28 AM
1) He didn't take the gun because then they'd damn well know someone was in the house with them. He was going to take it, but the person whose gun it was came back up the stairs, and without a safe exit from the house secured yet, Rick had to pretend he wasn't there still. Likewise, he didn't go in all guns blazing with the guy on the porch because there's at least three, possibly four, conscious dudes with automatic weapons who are obviously rather bad guys. It'd be idiotic to kick off with them - if he can get out unseen and unheard, then good.

2) Now, I would have preferred if the reason Eugene shot the fuel tank by accident was because a walker had grabbed his shoulder, and he turned in fright and did it ... a small tweak would have made that mistake better.

"Classified" or not, shooting someone who is saying they know what's causing this mess would be a really stupid idea, just because they irk you. :rolleyes:

1. You're always better off armed against armed opponents than unarmed. The only reason his "escape plan" worked was because they wrote it in that nobody heard the crashing fight in the bathroom or the 150lb guy fall from the roof onto the back deck. Considering how audible the tennis ball hitting the walls was, it seems like either of those two activities would have been clearly heard throughout the house. When he heard the walker commotion going on in the house he should have shot the guy on the deck.

2. I agree, there were a lot of better ways to have had it happen. He doesn't have to be ace sniper but to suggest that neither rosita or abraham took 2 minutes at any point they had been travelling together to walk him through how to use a rifle seems weak storytelling.

No, I'd shoot them because the idea of keeping secrets for reasons of "classified" after the zombie apocalypse has happened is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of, like what do you think I'm a spy? Besides, it doesn't take a genius to realize that knowing what caused it and how to stop it are vastly different things. Add to that he gives the impression of being as smart as a turnip, I'd call bullshit on his charade, unless he gave a very thorough and convincing explanation that he is in fact somebody in the know. I really hope they don't have him "show how smart he is" with some 9th grade science experiment level scientific understanding, because it would make me think every other character on the show is an idiot.

Neil
25-Feb-2014, 08:43 AM
why leave out the side the guys leg is clearly hanging off?Because around the other way the unconscious guy is half in the way and/or it's more out of sight of the landing?

and then why not grab the gun that was on the bed 5 feet in front of him when the other guy was coming up the stairs instead of going into the bathroom?Because he was panicked and didn't have 20-20 hindsight? Or simply didn't want to risk it?

or waiting forever instead of just shooting the guy on the porch?Shoots one, get shot at by X more? Shoots none, gets shot at by none?

I just don't get his thinking sometimes.This is one episode I had no issues with. For once our heroes even did sensible things like they cared about their existance. eg: Rick pushing the couch up against the door before his nap!

- - - Updated - - -

He didn't kill him. Just made him unconscious. He was at risk of coming around any second and exposing Rick! In fact I'll swear they showed him snoring slightly and his lips moving in front of Rick?

- - - Updated - - -

*GOES TO CHECK*

Well, looking closer, there's definitely dried blood on the pillow beneath the parents' heads - and it looks like there's either a gunshot or knife wound in the mother's body's forehead. It's unclear with the two children side-by-side, but perhaps a knife to the brain? I'm assuming that was KNB's thinking - but it would have been better if that had been just a little bit clearer.

That was one of the few "why didn't they" in this episode. The person/zombie sitting the chair had clearly blown their brains out. Michonne didn't for one second think the gun/ammo might be useful?

shootemindehead
25-Feb-2014, 09:02 AM
Good episode. No moaning.

Rick vs wankers...that was tense! Some great TV there.

And Michonne checking out that creepy room. Edge of the seat.

S4 is certainly the best we've seen yet. The new showrunner seems to know what he's doing. Much better than any that's come before.

MinionZombie
25-Feb-2014, 09:59 AM
Michonne didn't for one second think the gun/ammo might be useful?

I'm assuming that, perhaps, the gun had already been taken by someone else who'd been roaming around sometime during the past 18 months. It'd be a small detail that's not of any real story influence, so you've gotta trim any moments that don't push the story forward, even if it does leave a small hanging question. Or the gun might have had no bullets in it ... or she was so aghast at what she'd seen she had to get the hell out of there (and protect Carl from seeing it, as that was one of her motives as revealed on the "Inside TWD" featurette on YouTube this week).

S4 is certainly the best we've seen yet. The new showrunner seems to know what he's doing. Much better than any that's come before.

Gimple's got the TWD goods. An established fan of the comics, he's brought it much more on-track again - or rather, 'on-track' in a more Darabont-style way. Enough of the comic to make it an adaptation, and enough new stuff to keep it fresh.

Understandably Kirkman, having already written these stories, wants to do something fresh and does try to find new ways of covering this ground, while Gimple is a big fan of the comics and does try to keep as much stuff as possible - so I'd say they make a good team with a good push/pull in both directions - whereas I think with Mazzara he was far less concerned with the comic book and that's why it shifted relatively far away from the source material (too far).

I'm very pleased with Gimple's leadership and it's cool to know he's signed up for Season 5. :cool::thumbsup::)

Legion2213
25-Feb-2014, 10:01 AM
Good episode. No moaning.

Rick vs wankers...that was tense! Some great TV there.

And Michonne checking out that creepy room. Edge of the seat.

Absolutely. S4 has been outstanding IMO, loads of meat in every episode. I'd go as far as saying that even the "worst" episodes of this season can stand toe to toe with the best of the previous three seasons. Very, very pleased with how this series is playing out, I have very few real complaints.

Moon Knight
25-Feb-2014, 12:26 PM
Good filler episode imo. Not that that's a bad thing; cause as someone else brought up, even the weaker episodes outshine some of the earlier stuff. Gimple really does now what he's doing. The guy that was knocked down in front of Rick clearly was still alive. Rick in panic mode was fantastic.

As far as Rosita, I for one love her translation from the book; spot on.

My only real gripe was why the hell was that dude on the toilet with his pants on? Haha

Anyone else think these guys could possibly be The Hunters? I personally don't think so but some of the background chatter could have suggested it.

Neil
25-Feb-2014, 12:30 PM
What was the deal with the covered painting they found in the house? Looked like it had red paint/blood over it? Made me think there was still someone alive in the house and painting stuff!?

- - - Updated - - -

My only real gripe was why the hell was that dude on the toilet with his pants on? HahaMy only real gripe is why would you prefer to see him without pants off? :rockbrow:

Moon Knight
25-Feb-2014, 12:56 PM
My only real gripe is why would you prefer to see him without pants off? :rockbrow:

It looked completely staged and he was waiting on cue for Rick to walk in, oh wait, I see what you did there!

facestabber
25-Feb-2014, 03:19 PM
I really enjoyed the tension in Rick's scene. I completely understand his actions. I'm a gun guy and believe me I would have wanted that M16a1 from the bed guy. But picking a gun fight with an unknown, but at minimum superior numbered force, with a gun that may have 30 rds in the mag or 5rds is a bad idea. Last resort I would have gone down guns blazing but it's best to remain hidden.

Two things I miss. Number 1, Shane. Don't get me wrong I'm still a Ricktatorship guy but Shane was in the ass kicking business. I would love to see him in this story line.

Number 2 is some reflection about Hershel from Michonne and Rick. I don't know why I just need more mourning of Hershel.

MinionZombie
25-Feb-2014, 06:01 PM
I watched The Talking Dead and something they raised was a bit I'd totally missed/hadn't really thought about.

When he kills the toilet guy (and yeah, why was he in there with his trousers up and the seat closed? :p) he opens the door a touch ... and I didn't think of this initially, but like they said on TTD, it's kind of a zombie trap. The guy will reanimate eventually (providing they don't go to the upstairs bathroom) and he'll go shambling around the house and could take out one or two of those dudes - if the scenario works out that way (e.g. when they're asleep, akin to 4x02) ... but I didn't think of that at the time of watching it. Kind of like leaving a booby trap in the house - very crafty. :D

shootemindehead
25-Feb-2014, 06:41 PM
What was the deal with the covered painting they found in the house? Looked like it had red paint/blood over it?

Yeh, not too sure what they were trying to say there.

Moon Knight
25-Feb-2014, 08:53 PM
I watched The Talking Dead and something they raised was a bit I'd totally missed/hadn't really thought about.

When he kills the toilet guy (and yeah, why was he in there with his trousers up and the seat closed? :p) he opens the door a touch ... and I didn't think of this initially, but like they said on TTD, it's kind of a zombie trap. The guy will reanimate eventually (providing they don't go to the upstairs bathroom) and he'll go shambling around the house and could take out one or two of those dudes - if the scenario works out that way (e.g. when they're asleep, akin to 4x02) ... but I didn't think of that at the time of watching it. Kind of like leaving a booby trap in the house - very crafty. :D

Yeah, also, didn't it actually happen? Only seen it once but is that what got the guy off the porch before Michonne and Carl showed up?

Buzzbomb
25-Feb-2014, 10:33 PM
I enjoyed the suspense in this episode - the bits with Rick were spot on.

I've not read the comics, so I'm real curious how the train line / terminus thing works out - will it be a cannibal set up? Or something akin to the "Salvation" in '28 days later' or perhaps a genuine settlement geared towards re-establishing society & a co-ordinated fight back against the dead?

The 3 stooges in the truck are pretty funny - the two guys remind me of Abbott & Costello, or Laurel & Hardy.

Good call on Rick leaving the door ajar with the freshly dead corpse - didn't pick up on that - and though he's a bundle of nerves, good to see when push comes to shove he can still cut it.

Neil
26-Feb-2014, 07:49 AM
When he kills the toilet guy (and yeah, why was he in there with his trousers up and the seat closed? :p) he opens the door a touch ... and I didn't think of this initially, but like they said on TTD, it's kind of a zombie trap.

Interesting!
1) So we're in a world now where Rick isn't willing to take any chances. These may well be perfectly OK guys - mind you why are they throttling each other - but he's not willing to risk it, and is indeed even willing to kill instead of risking it!
2) You would also rather see a guy with his pants down than up Hmmm!!!

MinionZombie
26-Feb-2014, 10:06 AM
Yeah, also, didn't it actually happen? Only seen it once but is that what got the guy off the porch before Michonne and Carl showed up?

Ah! Another element that I didn't twig! I'm off my game this week. :p

A re-watch is called for!

Interesting!
1) So we're in a world now where Rick isn't willing to take any chances. These may well be perfectly OK guys - mind you why are they throttling each other - but he's not willing to risk it, and is indeed even willing to kill instead of risking it!
2) You would also rather see a guy with his pants down than up Hmmm!!!

1) No way those guys are perfectly okay. :lol: From the get-go they're clearly bad dudes. A normal group would be thankful for any bed - this lot choke each other out for the master bedroom ... plus they were clearly up to no good downstairs. I'm not entirely sure if it was a couple of walkers they were playing with, or whether it was a couple of survivors (I recall them mentioning a "shirt" to make us think they'd caught Michonne and Carl, but thankfully not) ... I read it that they'd captured a couple of survivors and were going to have their wicked way with them.

2) Well it's kinda hard to drop the kids off at the pool if the door's shut. :lol::lol::lol: The look on his face was pretty priceless, mind.

blind2d
26-Feb-2014, 02:37 PM
What was the deal with the covered painting they found in the house? Looked like it had red paint/blood over it? Made me think there was still someone alive in the house and painting stuff!?

- - - Updated - - -

My only real gripe is why would you prefer to see him without pants off? :rockbrow:

Yeah! Why didn't they meet the painter? That could've been awesome! But still yeah, good 'filler', and good intro to the new characters, I thought. Michonne!

kidgloves
26-Feb-2014, 07:32 PM
Upon 3rd viewing i've come to the conclusion that Andy Lincoln should get an Emmy nod for this episode.
Im not his biggest fan as Rick but the way he communicated controlled fear was outstanding. Bravo.

zomtom
27-Feb-2014, 05:30 AM

First and foremost, I think that guy was in the bathroom changing his clothes. There's a pair of boots on the side of the toilet and the guy is barefooted when he fights Rick. It would at least make sense why his pants were on and the toilet seat was down.
As for Rick opening the door; that drove me crazy!! I knew it had to have some significance. It wasn't until about 15 minutes later (before they talked about it on The Talking Dead, that it dawned on me. He was figuring the guy would reanimate and cause chaos. I think I'm getting a little slow-witted in my old age.

bassman
27-Feb-2014, 11:21 AM
Even if it didn't quite click when Rick left the bathroom door open, it didn't all come together for you guys when Rick is outside and the bandits start screaming and shooting inside?

Neil
27-Feb-2014, 12:44 PM
Even if it didn't quite click when Rick left the bathroom door open, it didn't all come together for you guys when Rick is outside and the bandits start screaming and shooting inside?

Yeh, I put 2&2 together at that point, but never noticed the door opening scene in the first place being discussed!

Trencher
27-Feb-2014, 03:35 PM
I doubt they were cannibals but they were picture perfect representations of a brutal gang! Using terms as "I claim this" and chocking out people over who sleeps where. Also the guy on the toilet probably just sat there to get some time away from the others. Its a hard stressful life to be in such a group after all. You always got to watch over your shoulder and be on constant guard on challenges to your place in the primitive hierarchy.
I liked that Rick was afraid. Truth is that people who have been in dangerous situation a lot does not develop into stone cold killer, rather they get more and more nervous and afraid especially when they older. That is why so many gangsters quit when they hit 30.
It is going to interesting to see Rick cope with being "shell shocked"

Moon Knight
27-Feb-2014, 03:58 PM
Couple of minor observations. I like how Tara refered the undead as "Biters" and not "Walkers", considering that was what The Governor called them. Nice attention to detail there.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we see these bandits again. Let's not forget one of them saw Rick's face and I wouldn't think they were too happy with Rick's Walker bomb.

And finally, Rick has a new jacket!

That is all.

MinionZombie
27-Feb-2014, 06:11 PM

Actually I didn't twig then either! :o

They had other people that they'd captured, so I'd assumed that:

A) One or more of their human captives had been killed/died, and had resurrected.
B) That they'd brought a walker home for some sick entertainment and the situation had got out of hand.

But yes - Rick's walker trap makes a lot more sense.

I must have been properly off-my-game to have missed both walker trap related hints. :o

And finally, Rick has a new jacket!

That is all.

I know, right - that shirt of his was proper manky. :p

However, this does play into something that has irked me for the past couple of seasons - the events of a season seem to take place over a very short period of time (up to 4 weeks) - and the weather at the start of the season is sweltering, but by the last couple of episodes it's chilly and you can see their breath (naturally, because the production time is spread out over several months), but it does irk me that there isn't more time expended between episodes.

Of course, with how the story is structured this season, it has to be over this kind of a confined time period, but I would really like them to deliberately write-in more time passed between some of the episodes. It does make it feel like their year goes something like this: months & months of nothing too awful happening and nobody dying, and then the shittest 2-to-4 weeks, and then months & months of nothing that bad happening (relatively), and then another terrible couple of weeks. :lol:

zombieparanoia
27-Feb-2014, 07:16 PM
However, this does play into something that has irked me for the past couple of seasons - the events of a season seem to take place over a very short period of time (up to 4 weeks) - and the weather at the start of the season is sweltering, but by the last couple of episodes it's chilly and you can see their breath (naturally, because the production time is spread out over several months), but it does irk me that there isn't more time expended between episodes.

Of course, with how the story is structured this season, it has to be over this kind of a confined time period, but I would really like them to deliberately write-in more time passed between some of the episodes. It does make it feel like their year goes something like this: months & months of nothing too awful happening and nobody dying, and then the shittest 2-to-4 weeks, and then months & months of nothing that bad happening (relatively), and then another terrible couple of weeks. :lol:

I agree with this, it feels like the season only covers a few weeks of the year, for example season 2-3 it just started season 3 with "Wow, what a winter! anyways...." I would have really liked to see what happened over the winter. whereas all of season 4 episodes so far have taken place over a period of maybe 2 weeks. It also makes it extremely hard to tell how much time has passed since it all started. They're obviously suggesting that nature has started to overgrow some parts of "civilization" but it seems like it's been less than a year since this all started (only one winter) because it was spring/early summer in season 1.

Legion2213
27-Feb-2014, 07:23 PM

I wondered why he was opening the door for a moment, but sussed it as soon as he headed toward the window...that's when it clicked (and we've seen walkers used as weapons before in this series).

Funnily enough though, I sort of forgot about it until we heard it's sighs/groans coming from the house when Rick was outside.

Edit: Still can't get over how good Andrew Lincoln was under that bed...he was shaking with fear...unarmed, house full of violent marauders and his kid and friend ready to come back at any minute...brilliant scene!

MinionZombie
28-Feb-2014, 09:48 AM
It also makes it extremely hard to tell how much time has passed since it all started. They're obviously suggesting that nature has started to overgrow some parts of "civilization" but it seems like it's been less than a year since this all started (only one winter) because it was spring/early summer in season 1.

We've had two winters (one between 2 and 3, and the other between 3 and 4) - according to Lincoln & Co it's been at least 18 months. Season 1 and 2 took place one after the other in a pretty tight space of time (although, IIRC, in 18 Miles Out they mentioned a week had passed between the previous episode and that one, but apart from that it seems incredibly rare for any considerable amount of time to pass between episodes ... we just get these months-long gaps between seasons).

I understand that it'd be difficult to cover the winter, particularly with their production schedule (they work year-round covering all the stages of production), but it'd be really neat if we got, say, a single episode at the start of a new seasons that took place during the winter in which a significant event happened that would affect events later in the rest of the season.

Still can't get over how good Andrew Lincoln was under that bed...he was shaking with fear...unarmed, house full of violent marauders and his kid and friend ready to come back at any minute...brilliant scene!

Agreed, he was superb in this episode. The sense of fear and adrenaline was palpable. Properly tense, too! :stunned:

Moon Knight
28-Feb-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't think we've ever had an episode where it was raining neither. Not a drop. I could be wrong, tho.

Edit: Nevermind, just remembered "Guts", any others?

Neil
28-Feb-2014, 01:05 PM
Edit: Nevermind, just remembered "Guts", any others?
That scene/premise always bothered me!

bassman
28-Feb-2014, 01:17 PM
That scene/premise always bothered me!

That's one idea from Darabont that I'm glad has been some what dropped - the smell. And I still argue that it was just the characters trying to make sense of the situation and it was actually their actions rather than the smell that confused the walkers. Because if you notice, the walkers don't start noticing Rick and Glenn in "Guts" until Glenn starts freaking out and breaking character. The same could be said about Michonne walking with the herd in recent episodes. As long as she maintained acting as a walker, they wouldn't notice. It's when she started looking around too much and realizing she doesn't want to go back to her old loner ways that they start to take notice.

Kind of like Shaun of the Dead. If they act as a zombie, don't talk, and don't panic, they can maneuver in and around the herds.

One thing I do miss from the Darabont days is the "Hinzman Hobble". I liked the idea of the walkers being able to do a quicker shuffle when food is nearby, but they've seemed to have dropped that idea entirely after Darabont's departure.

shootemindehead
28-Feb-2014, 02:26 PM
Yeh Bass, that's the way I have to look at it as well, cos otherwise I think I'd explode.

Morto Vivente
28-Feb-2014, 07:46 PM
I'd imagine the initial screaming and commotion from inside the house (while Rick is hiding by the outside porch), is the unconscious guy in the bedroom being brought round by his "bathroom walker buddy" chewing on him.

MinionZombie
01-Mar-2014, 10:11 AM
I'd imagine the initial screaming and commotion from inside the house (while Rick is hiding by the outside porch), is the unconscious guy in the bedroom being brought round by his "bathroom walker buddy" chewing on him.

Another possibility I totally missed! :o

Damn, I'm missing everything related to the walker trap this week. :p

Legion2213
01-Mar-2014, 03:16 PM

Oh, I do like that theory. That works for me big time!

zombieparanoia
01-Mar-2014, 05:36 PM
I thought both the guys upstairs were dead. You don't sleep that long when you get choked out. Yeah, when I heard the walker sounds and screaming from inside and the guy on the porch went back in I assumed that was what happened. I didn't think about it could have been their captive.

Morto Vivente
01-Mar-2014, 06:54 PM
Wouldn't the walker from the bathroom have immediately fed on the "bedroom survivor" whether he was unconscious or recently deceased, thus keeping it occupied upstairs? I don't think the walker went downstairs. Possibly it was discovered devouring the upstairs survivor, which then sparked the commotion? However, I agree with the general consensus on here that he was only unconscious? Plus it completes the whole sequence rather neatly, and IMO imparts a deadly eloquence to Rick's entire "walker bomb" plan.

zombieparanoia
01-Mar-2014, 07:27 PM
I figured what happened was both guys upstairs reanimated and came downstairs. That's just my theory though. I don't know if he was unconscious, unless they said that somewhere, I figured dead because it seemed like the other guy had enough time to fall asleep before rick tried to escape, usually when someone gets choked out they're only out for maybe 10-15 seconds.

sandrock74
01-Mar-2014, 09:10 PM
usually when someone gets choked out they're only out for maybe 10-15 seconds.

And when someone is hit on the head and knocked unconscious, they are only out for a minute, maximum, before regaining consciousness. Longer then that can signify brain damage. Also, chloroform doesn't just render everyone unconscious with a whiff. It takes differing amounts for different people; too much will outright kill you.

Of course, on tv, they gloss over all that, so someone can easily be chocked out and be unconscious for 20 minutes. No biggie.

zomtom
02-Mar-2014, 04:39 AM
I figured what happened was both guys upstairs reanimated and came downstairs. That's just my theory though. I don't know if he was unconscious, unless they said that somewhere, I figured dead because it seemed like the other guy had enough time to fall asleep before rick tried to escape, usually when someone gets choked out they're only out for maybe 10-15 seconds.

It wouldn't make sense for the attacker to kill the first guy. After this; the attacker laid down and took a nap. Who would kill someone and then go and take a nap right near them? It makes no sense. The attacker is a survivor and he has to know, anyone who dies will come back and attack.

Moon Knight
02-Mar-2014, 08:02 AM
Interesting theory:

What if the people being tortured beneath Rick are members of his group? Perhaps we'll see an episode that covers that angle? Would be interesting and would make sense cause one of the Bandits was the great Jeff Kober; pretty cool genre actor who I wouldn't think would get hired just to do one sparse scene.

sandrock74
02-Mar-2014, 05:42 PM
What people were being tortured? They found a womens shirt and were talking about who got first dibs with her (they were figuring on the shirts owner on returning sometime soon).

Morto Vivente
02-Mar-2014, 07:14 PM
It wouldn't make sense for the attacker to kill the first guy. After this; the attacker laid down and took a nap. Who would kill someone and then go and take a nap right near them? It makes no sense. The attacker is a survivor and he has to know, anyone who dies will come back and attack.

Good point. Also, after watching the episode again I noticed that once the guy is "choked out" it cuts to Rick, but immediately cuts back to the guy and reveals that he's still breathing.

Another cool thing is just prior to the first guy throwing himself down on the bed, Rick pulls a watch from his pocket. At first I thought he didn't want to risk it being damaged, figuring that the guy may chuck himself onto the bed. Then I realized, DUH, that he's checking to see how long before Carl and Michonne return to the house and meet their uninvited guests (IMO). Personally I think these little subtleties really embellished the episode and fleshed out Rick's motivations.

On a not so subtle note, I liked Abraham's nomenclature for walkers - "Dead-Alive Pricks!", certainly the most colourful compared to "Skin-Eaters" or "Biters". Off-hand can anyone remember what name Dave and Tony (from the episode "Nebraska") used for walkers?

kidgloves
02-Mar-2014, 07:21 PM
On a not so subtle note, I liked Abraham's nomenclature for walkers - "Dead-Alive Pricks!", certainly the most colourful compared to "Skin-Eaters" or "Biters". Off-hand can anyone remember what name Dave and Tony (from the episode "Nebraska") used for walkers?

Lame brains

Morto Vivente
02-Mar-2014, 07:43 PM
Lame brains

Cheers.... Lame Brains, how fitting. I miss those guys. :(

Moon Knight
02-Mar-2014, 09:47 PM
What people were being tortured? They found a womens shirt and were talking about who got first dibs with her (they were figuring on the shirts owner on returning sometime soon).

Perhaps tortured is the wrong word but I could have swore the first thing Rick heard upon waking was the men talking down on someone else as they were begging.
I'll have to watch it again.

Neil
02-Mar-2014, 09:57 PM

He just choked him unconscious. I'll swear he even snorts later?

zombieparanoia
03-Mar-2014, 02:00 AM
He just choked him unconscious. I'll swear he even snorts later?

Fair enough. I just figure you have the same odds of getting killed by killing a guy and then sleeping next to his imminently reanimating corpse as you do by beating a guy up, choking him out and then taking a nap next to his unconscious body. either way, when that guy gets up, violence would ensue.

Publius
03-Mar-2014, 02:33 AM
Fair enough. I just figure you have the same odds of getting killed by killing a guy and then sleeping next to his imminently reanimating corpse as you do by beating a guy up, choking him out and then taking a nap next to his unconscious body. either way, when that guy gets up, violence would ensue.

yeah. Rick's acting was great, but there was a whole lot of not making sense going on in that scene.