View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! TWD 4x12 "Still" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

MinionZombie
01-Mar-2014, 06:28 PM
Please keep all talk of episode 4x12 "Still" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

The Walking Dead Episode 412 – Still: “Faced with the day-to-day survival of life outside shelter, a simple request by someone in the group leads to a bizarre but enlightening mission.”

Written by: Angela Kang
Directed by: Julius Ramsay

Angela Kang has written several episodes of TWD, including 4x02, 3x05, and 2x11.

Julius Ramsay is new to the TWD directing fold.

Morto Vivente
02-Mar-2014, 07:29 PM
Personally I'm really looking forward to tonight's episode based on last week's sneak-peek during the end titles. The Beth and Daryl mini-story appealed to me the most in comparison with the others presented in "Inmates", and it's really all down to Beth.

sandrock74
03-Mar-2014, 02:22 AM
Personally......I thought it was boring. The "revelation" of what Daryl did prior to the turn was exactly what I had figured anyway, so nothing really startling there. The acting was fine and all, but its not one I'll rewatch on Netflix down the road.

Rottedfreak
03-Mar-2014, 06:55 AM
I liked the country Club bit, the internal conflict there would probably be great for the next webisodes.

kidgloves
03-Mar-2014, 08:41 AM
Meh.
I understand the characters who haven't really have much screen time have to be fleshed out, but I couldn't give a toss about Beth tbh. We knew enough about Daryl already.
I found the whole thing a slog to get through.

facestabber
03-Mar-2014, 12:42 PM
The implied 'storm' of Walkers that passed as Daryl and Beth hid in the trunk was cool. The sheer noise level of the passing death outside was cool. Definitely not one of the stronger episodes but I did enjoy seeing the adaptation of survival skills. Without talking anymore, Daryl and Beth grab and scavenge odd items that they have found uses for.

As mentioned above, the Daryl back story revelation was not shocking at all. Had they said he was a High school physics teacher, I would have fell out of bed. But with all the information said by Daryl and closing out his past with the fire, I see his story has come full circle, and his death is closing.

Moon Knight
03-Mar-2014, 12:50 PM
I agree it was a pretty boring episode; not a bad episode, just one I didn't really care for. The opening scene was great and the snapping of Daryl's arrow has potential to be some serious foreshadowing. Is it his time? All in all, I get why they chose to have a slow episode but this one is gonna need a second viewing to try and sink everything in properly. Beth was also a lil' ehhhhhh; even though she had some interesting bits. "Last man standing", hmmm sounds like more foreshadowing.

MinionZombie
03-Mar-2014, 12:50 PM
Good for some character interaction between Beth and Daryl, but not a particularly important episode really - didn't really move anything forward, and the journey for booze felt awfully silly even with how they tried to justify and contextualise it ... then again, when you believe that you've lost everything (unlike we viewers, who know there's disparate groups out there searching for one another), then you probably would just want to drown your sorrows - but it ain't excited telly.

I did enjoy the implied narrative of the country club - they all got boozed up and threw around a lot of money and probably had orgies ... and maybe some ne'er-do-wells came along and took revenge (the "Rich Bitch" display was pretty grim) ... and the three hanging walkers that have no doubt been there since the earliest weeks (or even days) of the outbreak.

Yeah, not a big revelation about Daryl - I too figured he was just a nobody following around Merle prior to the zombies - although there were some nice glimpses into his past here and there, even if it was really only a bit of extra shading, rather than any new lines.

A good couple of knife kills - they slid in quite slow in a couple of instances, so it felt like there was more pressure being applied by Beth/Daryl, and more resistance to the knife from the walker's heads. I also liked the bit where they spent a night huddled in that car boot - atmospheric and tense - and I liked that Daryl and Beth had a bit of an emotional blow out because now they can move on from that and rediscover their sense of purpose.

Bit of a filler episode generally, though.

AcesandEights
03-Mar-2014, 01:32 PM
I thought it was a pretty good episode, but probably the weakest we've seen this season so far.

It had a nice mix of exploration out in the world, some tension and action, which was all good.

It's really feeling like the rest of the season will be one-offs and character building to reset and intro any major story arcs for next season. Not a bad thing, per se.

Legion2213
03-Mar-2014, 02:22 PM
Opening was fantastic. The same sort of tension that we had with Rick hiding out in a house full of psychos in the last episode.

The episode itself wasn't super awesome, but I still enjoyed it...and I still say season 4 is the best season so far.

Loved the way that Beth's nice clean clothes lasted all of 60 seconds before Darryl scruffed them back up for her :D A pretty neat touch IMO, "this is how you are going to live for the next several years at least, so get used to it".

Looks like the next episode will be rolling with Maggie's group...

Edit: "Darryl Darts" rocks! :D

Rottedfreak
03-Mar-2014, 02:25 PM
I did enjoy the implied narrative of the country club - they all got boozed up and threw around a lot of money and probably had orgies ... and maybe some ne'er-do-wells came along and took revenge (the "Rich Bitch" display was pretty grim) ... and the three hanging walkers that have no doubt been there since the earliest weeks (or even days) of the outbreak.

It looked like the pool guys, waiters, cooks and other staff turned on the rich folk, I read that the Talking Dead confirmed this.

Legion2213
03-Mar-2014, 02:31 PM
It looked like the pool guys, waiters, cooks and other staff turned on the rich folk, I read that the Talking Dead confirmed this.

Whatever went on in there, it looked grim, you could tell the moment they walked in, and as they moved deeper into the place. Don't think the peoples time there was a happy one somehow!

Moon Knight
03-Mar-2014, 02:46 PM

That's pretty interesting. I defiantly need to watch again.

Legion2213
03-Mar-2014, 02:54 PM
Oh, another observation, Beth did come out of this episode looking mentally stronger than Darryl IMO, I think she was spot on about keeping on going, looking for other survivors etc.

Darryl himself seems to be suffering from some sort of survivors guilt and a real lethargy regarding what they do next. That said, he has done a lot of the "heavy lifting" since hooking up with the group way back at the beginning. That's probably worn him down a bit...same for Rick as well.

facestabber
03-Mar-2014, 02:56 PM
Yes with Legion on Beth's shirt. Vanity and looking pretty doesn't work anymore. If you wanna live, you're gonna get dirty. The more I reflect on this episode the more I realize the quality story telling and messages. Sure it was slow paced but I enjoy it. To be honest I've seen enough zombie kills for awhile. At times they seem forced like they have convinced themselves they must continue to come up with new ways to destroy the brain. I.e golf club this episode.

rongravy
03-Mar-2014, 03:24 PM
That's pretty interesting. I defiantly need to watch again.
Ok, but why defiantly?

I loved it when Daryl gave Beth shit about singing all the time. I also really thought they'd be heels to Jesus by the end of the episode, or that she'd at least try. Lucky for her that Daryl turns into a complete douchebag when he gets liquor in him.
Hell, everybody thought he'd get laid, even J. B. Smoove on Talking Dead brought it up...

Moon Knight
03-Mar-2014, 03:36 PM
:skull:
Ok, but why defiantly?

My first viewing is always with a group and I always miss minor things from being distracted. I found the episode was boring and it dragged on with no payoff but perhaps I missed the bigger picture. That golf club told a story and it seems I completely missed it. Also, Daryl smashing Walkers with a golf club was gold.

Edit: Defiantly. Yeah, that definitely went over my head. Haha.

MinionZombie
03-Mar-2014, 03:39 PM
I think that maybe with this episode they could have run a smaller story with another group at the same time. I don't think this story really needed the full episode to get the points across. Indeed, it looks like the next episode will be at least two stories - Maggie & Co, and then Daryl/Beth - perhaps those two groups hook up by the end of next week's episode.

TWD 4x12 memes:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/beth-on-rocks-edition-walking-dead-4x12.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NORHqwBZwdw/UxSsRCilqgI/AAAAAAAACx4/Qe8i0S0RGYg/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Beth_Real_Tired_You r_Suck_Camp_4x12_DeadShed.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VeLjJpxEBoo/UxSsRB3aEdI/AAAAAAAACyI/VuE-UVLf7YY/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Beth_Daryl_Shelter_ Sleep_Fire_Better_Idea_4x12_DeadShed.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ONcCx9SWBKU/UxSsQvbPnnI/AAAAAAAACyA/f9i37YcCR6o/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Beth_Daryl_New_Clot hes_Nice_Things_4x12_DeadShed.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-N6iGbdbcO9o/UxSsR_BzabI/AAAAAAAACyQ/jQuL2B2qbnQ/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Drunk_Beth_Daryl_Sh elter_Burn_Some_Drunks_4x12_DeadShed.jpg

:D

Realistically they could have waited for morning and then burned it down. :p

Legion2213
03-Mar-2014, 03:41 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ONcCx9SWBKU/UxSsQvbPnnI/AAAAAAAACyA/f9i37YcCR6o/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Beth_Daryl_New_Clot hes_Nice_Things_4x12_DeadShed.jpg

Thank you. :D

Staredge
03-Mar-2014, 04:31 PM
What did he pull out of the frame???? Did anyone else get the sense that there's more to the golf club/'shine shack than Daryl's letting on??

Legion2213
03-Mar-2014, 04:36 PM
What did he pull out of the frame???? Did anyone else get the sense that there's more to the golf club/'shine shack than Daryl's letting on??

I thought it was a local map.

MinionZombie
03-Mar-2014, 06:58 PM
I thought it was a local map.

Pull what out of frame? When? Where? Huh? :confused:

I think there was some interesting stuff going on in this episode, but I also think they could have gone further with the episode - make their points more efficiently, and find room for other issues to be addressed (the episode could have ended on Beth and Daryl, having burned down the shack, rediscovered their sense of purpose and set out to do something with their time - formulate a plan ... but maybe they're leaving that for 4x13).

I did like that it was dealing directly with their emotions (particularly Daryl, who just shut down entirely), although the framing of 'the search for booze' was a bit clunky ... even a small tweak to reason it out a smidge better would have been welcome, like, "We've lost everything, Hershel's dead, our friends are gone, for all we know it's just us two, so what else are we gonna do? Let's just fucking drink this away!", because at that time you would be feeling like tossing in the towel, and I think the episode would have benefitted by being a touch more upfront about that out of Beth's own frustrations.

The implied narrative of the golf club was superb. Good to see Beth kill a walker in close combat by herself, too. The repeated stabbing of the wine bottle in its face was pretty gnarly as well.

rongravy
03-Mar-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm surprised the way Beth was downing that moonshine she didn't end up poisoned or having the worst hangover you could imagine. She looks about 90 pounds soaking wet.

AcesandEights
03-Mar-2014, 08:16 PM
Pull what out of frame? When? Where? Huh? :confused:
You were too busy pre-captioning in your head, MZ!

kidgloves
03-Mar-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm surprised the way Beth was downing that moonshine she didn't end up poisoned or having the worst hangover you could imagine. She looks about 90 pounds soaking wet.

This. Moments like that make me shake my head.:-/

Morto Vivente
03-Mar-2014, 09:13 PM
I was hoping for a better episode, not that I mind a good "swig" of character interplay, it just seemed to meander at times. At least there was a clarification as to why Daryl has been extra pissy with Beth, her being a constant reminder of Hershel.

Someone mentioned that Daryl's demise could be on the cards? It would be interesting to see if AMC would take such a risk? To my knowledge (I could be wrong) he's a popular character with a certain demographic i.e. the female viewers. If he pays his self-imposed "debt" to Beth and dies in the act, it would be a fitting end for Daryl (IMO). Maybe even an opportunity for a homage to the death of Rhodes? :sneaky:

zombieparanoia
03-Mar-2014, 09:40 PM
Wow, so Beth wants the D, and oddly I actually mean Daryl. A girl just doesn't play truth or dare with moonshine and say "I've never gotten drunk and done something I regretted" unless she's DTF. I thought the country club side trip was kind of pointless. I would like it if they did more scavenging in general though pro shops would be stocked with sweaters, blankets, ponchos etc. You know, it's like "Oh hey, I'll grab this garbage bag and throw a hubcap in it but totally not grab a bag or two from the pro shop and fill them with useful stuff" I really didn't get why daryl was grabbing all the valuables. He seems like the first guy to realize how useless they are post apocalypse. Decent episode overall, I liked the character development but it does seem like they're doing the episode of character development before we kill them thing.

kidgloves
03-Mar-2014, 09:56 PM
Nothing against Daryl or Norman Reedus but I can't help but think that his presence is getting in the way of other characters development. The ratings are so high that killing him shouldn't have that much effect. I know a lot of people who watch this show and not one of them is a big fan. Male or female.
It seems to be an Internet thing.

rongravy
03-Mar-2014, 10:52 PM
Does anyone know the ratings for last night? I wondered if the Oscars threw it off at all.

zombieparanoia
03-Mar-2014, 11:03 PM
Nothing against Daryl or Norman Reedus but I can't help but think that his presence is getting in the way of other characters development. The ratings are so high that killing him shouldn't have that much effect. I know a lot of people who watch this show and not one of them is a big fan. Male or female.
It seems to be an Internet thing.

Yeah, I think he's mostly just the guy on the show who isn't a total horror movie trope/cliche, I don't think there is any other character who fairly reliably does the thing that would probably not get himself killed. the character manages to do this without completely being Invincible Captain Awesome too which is nice. I think you're right it is a reflection of the whole internet cliche of people who go on forums and talk about "Well, you know what I'd do..." where people talk about having some basic understanding of hunting/wildnerness skills and the need for violence occasionally even against fellow humans. I think he's also kind of an underdog, he's not the hero, he just does what he feels is the right thing.

I also think that his popularity may be why they kill him off, it's not supposed to be the daryl dixon show, it's supposed to be about rick grimes and his son, no matter how many bizarre, contradictory, poorly thought out and dangerous decisions they make.

kidgloves
03-Mar-2014, 11:03 PM
Does anyone know the ratings for last night? I wondered if the Oscars threw it off at all.
13.1m

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=17945&page=13

Morto Vivente
03-Mar-2014, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I think he's mostly just the guy on the show who isn't a total horror movie trope/cliche, I don't think there is any other character who fairly reliably does the thing that would probably not get himself killed. the character manages to do this without completely being Invincible Captain Awesome too which is nice. I think you're right it is a reflection of the whole internet cliche of people who go on forums and talk about "Well, you know what I'd do..." where people talk about having some basic understanding of hunting/wildnerness skills and the need for violence occasionally even against fellow humans. I think he's also kind of an underdog, he's not the hero, he just does what he feels is the right thing.

I also think that his popularity may be why they kill him off, it's not supposed to be the daryl dixon show, it's supposed to be about rick grimes and his son, no matter how many bizarre, contradictory, poorly thought out and dangerous decisions they make.

I didn't realize that these kinds of issues orbited around the character of Daryl Dixon, then again this is the only forum I view or post on at all, so I suppose it's hardly surprising. Daryl, the online survivalist's icon, or not as the case may be. The mind boggles. I wasn't even sure of the exact source of Daryl's popularity, but the fact that it existed I gleamed from posts on here over the months, whether supportive of the character or not. Personally I like the character.

I agree, Daryl although not the star of the show began to do what he always felt as naturally right, but only once free of Merle. For me though that's what a hero is (doing what you believe to be the right thing in the face of adversity), hence the clash between him and his brother when reunited in season 3, things had changed between them. Although, even Merle's last act was heroic, was he a hero though? Possibly a late bloomer?

Neil
04-Mar-2014, 07:49 AM
Bit of a filler episode generally, though.I agree... But I still enjoyed it...

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2014, 10:04 AM
I agree... But I still enjoyed it...

Agreed.

I think Daryl was scooping up the bundles of cash to be used as kindling - notice how they lit the shack on fire with a fat wedge of crisp notes.

They could have taken more clothing, although I doubt Daryl would be a fan of such attire - I don't think his attitude would suit pastel coloured polo shirts very well ... it's more Beth's kinda thing, although she can't have nice things, cos they just end up with blood on them within minutes. :lol:

shootemindehead
04-Mar-2014, 10:29 AM
Decent episode, but a filler nonetheless. Not that that's a bad thing in and of itself.

Without a proper setting, like the farm or the prison, you're going to get these type of episodes.

Either way, There'll be a couple more of these and then the gang will get together again and head off toward some other temporary sanctuary for S5. So I think S4 will fizzle out, rather than end with a bang.

AcesandEights
04-Mar-2014, 01:19 PM
I think Daryl was scooping up the bundles of cash to be used as kindling...

Figured the same thing when Beth called him on it.

JonOfTheShred
04-Mar-2014, 01:34 PM
- First thing I thought when Daryl's arrow was broken was "He ain't making it to Season 5."
- Beth totally wanted the DDD. The moonshine basically did all the work for Daryl, until he started drinking it himself. Though I doubt that that was what was on his mind.
- I really enjoyed the opening sequence as well. The amount of zombies outside was intense. Although I kind of wish there was less of the hissing and more moaning. Walking Dead zombies never do the zombie moan, which I always found creepier for some reason than the predator noises. There's a sadness to it. At least when zombies are in the distance, they should be moaning, then when a meal shows up they could revert to the more animalistic gnashing.
- I like seeing a group of zombies following them through the golf course. Seems like they're almost always being hunted now, which makes the show more tense.
- Additionally, I thought the character development was pretty good for both characters. Daryl expressing survivors guilt, sexy little Beth becoming rebellious and showcasing greater mental strength than Daryl.

Slow burn of an episode, probably worst of the season, but not a bad episode. The song at the end though....horrible choice. The middle fingers kind of fell flat too, but at least Daryl seemed as off-put by it as the viewers.

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone catch the Jesse Pinkman reference? Daryl was telling a story about Merles dealer (Merle, who had Heisenburgs blue meth in his motorcycle drug fun bag in Season 2), some tweaker kid who punched Merle in the face. Then the tweaker held a gun to Daryl's head and said "Time to die, bitch." Completely obvious Breaking Bad reference.

Moon Knight
04-Mar-2014, 02:27 PM
Like I said before, the foreshadowing is written all over the episode. Either Daryl dies this season or the writers are producing some serious trolling.

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2014, 06:00 PM
Although I kind of wish there was less of the hissing and more moaning. Walking Dead zombies never do the zombie moan, which I always found creepier for some reason than the predator noises. There's a sadness to it. At least when zombies are in the distance, they should be moaning, then when a meal shows up they could revert to the more animalistic gnashing.

Same here. I'd love for there to be more 'lost moans' from the walkers when they don't have anything to go after ... as well as near-silence from them in such scenarios too. That'd be creepy as hell, and it'd mix things up audio wise.

Like I said before, the foreshadowing is written all over the episode. Either Daryl dies this season or the writers are producing some serious trolling.

It's either foreshadowing, or it's just little things that just express his mental state, rather than act as harbingers of death. It was interesting on Talking Dead when Reedus addressed Beth saying to him that he'd be the "last man standing" - it didn't seem like it was fate-tempting foreshadowing - rather, as Reedus said, it was 'the worst thing that Beth could have said to him' because Daryl is sick of losing people. He's got abandonment issues, and survivor's guilt, so that would be a nightmare scenario for him. It was also interesting that he said, had Beth not been there, Daryl would have probably killed himself eventually, in spite of his natural instinct to survive he might very well have got to a place where he just chose to "cash out".

So yeah, there's lots of interesting subtext and motivational stuff going on in this episode, even if it did feel a bit stretched-thin over the entire episode. I don't mind having an episode be just about two people (I quite liked that aspect), but it didn't feel like there was quite enough going on to fill the entire running time.

Something else I'd really like to see - an episode of TWD that doesn't feature one single solitary zombie. Not one. That'd be really interesting to see, in my view. :)

Neil
04-Mar-2014, 09:33 PM
Didn't quite get the burn the house down in the dark so we attract loads of walkers and have to wander off in the dark completely unprepared... Another example of a we don't really care if we get muched to death moment? :)

facestabber
04-Mar-2014, 09:49 PM
Didn't quite get the burn the house down in the dark so we attract loads of walkers and have to wander off in the dark completely unprepared... Another example of a we don't really care if we get muched to death moment? :)

Cant say I can completely justify it as I would prefer walls between me and the walkers. When I reflect on that scene I think they are coming from the perspective of Hershel's speech at the prison, "you risk your life". With the probable loss of their loved ones, I believe the scene is representing Beth and Daryl coming to peace with the new world and their shortened life span. Almost as if they are laughing at whats to come instead of living in constant fear. Another reference with similarity may be Laurie Strode in H2O when, rather than take the escape route, she turns around and decided to face Michael Myers and just get it over with. After all the prison was a great fortified defense against walkers and in the end, it didnt matter. So I dont think it is a "we don't really care" moment but rather, throw your hands in the air and yell, "fuck it".

Legion2213
04-Mar-2014, 11:18 PM

Just looked at it as a moment of liberation and burying/burning a few ghosts. :)

Staredge
05-Mar-2014, 03:49 AM
I thought a lot of Darryl grabbing the money/jewelry was him not thinking about it being worthless. Think about him pre-apocalypse: what would that bag mean to him??? Grabbing it up is the old Darryl coming through. Using the stack of money to start the fire kind of ties into the whole "what was/what is" shift that the episode focused on. Yet another way to show the growth that he's gone through series/season/episode-wise.

Andy
05-Mar-2014, 09:30 AM

Because drunk.

Neil
05-Mar-2014, 10:58 AM
Because drunk.
Hmmm... I'm sure with the risk of becoming zombie food, I'd still not go that bonkers? But, I'm happy to give it some slack. Maybe they're over confident...

Moon Knight
05-Mar-2014, 12:29 PM
Beth knows she won't survive much longer, just like she said to Daryl. After living in fear for almost 2 years I don't blame her for wanting her first taste of alcohol before she finally departs.

Morto Vivente
05-Mar-2014, 05:27 PM
Cant say I can completely justify it as I would prefer walls between me and the walkers. When I reflect on that scene I think they are coming from the perspective of Hershel's speech at the prison, "you risk your life". With the probable loss of their loved ones, I believe the scene is representing Beth and Daryl coming to peace with the new world and their shortened life span. Almost as if they are laughing at whats to come instead of living in constant fear. After all the prison was a great fortified defense against walkers and in the end, it didnt matter. So I dont think it is a "we don't really care" moment but rather, throw your hands in the air and yell, "fuck it".

This was my thinking also. I believe the scene is a response to the fear mentioned by Beth in the prologue to "Inmates", where she claims she's becoming afraid that it's just easier to be afraid.

MinionZombie
05-Mar-2014, 06:11 PM

Just looked at it as a moment of liberation and burying/burning a few ghosts. :)

They probably did it because it's tighter narratively for them to make the decision and then immediately do it while they're still hopped up enough, rather than wait till the cold light of morning, when they might be less gung-ho about it ... plus, it's more about them doing as Legion said, casting aside their old lives, seeking a bit of rebellion (Daryl, Beth). Plus fire looks cooler at night so visually it's more stunning.

Realistically speaking though, yes, burning down your shelter in the middle of the night is daft. I'd have preferred it if they'd waited till morning, or they'd been asleep, then Beth woke up to see Daryl stewing over his thoughts, they talk, they decide to burn it down as the dawn light rises ... of course, production wise that's more of a headache as you'd have to shoot all night and hang around for dawn to come along, so just get it at night and be done with it ... even if it's not a wise move in terms of survivalism.

ProfessorChaos
07-Mar-2014, 09:08 PM
... Although I kind of wish there was less of the hissing and more moaning. Walking Dead zombies never do the zombie moan, which I always found creepier for some reason than the predator noises. There's a sadness to it. At least when zombies are in the distance, they should be moaning, then when a meal shows up they could revert to the more animalistic gnashing.

this is something that's bothered me since season 3. i think i mentioned it on these boards a while back, maybe in the thread about the "your movie sucks: TWD" videos.

moaning, groaning, or just silence would work so much better. i really have thought about muting the tv during times when loads of walkers are on the screen, it's that annoying to me now.

Legion2213
07-Mar-2014, 11:40 PM
this is something that's bothered me since season 3. i think i mentioned it on these boards a while back, maybe in the thread about the "your movie sucks: TWD" videos.

moaning, groaning, or just silence would work so much better. i really have thought about muting the tv during times when loads of walkers are on the screen, it's that annoying to me now.

Even Resi Evil zombies moaned as opposed to hissed...no scarier sound than a Resi Evil zombie groaning from the darkness when you are down to your last clip!

ProfessorChaos
07-Mar-2014, 11:53 PM
^

totally agree....and no more annoying sound than a twd walker anytime it's on screen.

sandrock74
08-Mar-2014, 01:04 AM
I've often thought of that myself; the moaning zombies from the Resident Evil 2 and 3 games are the most scary sounding zombies I've ever heard!

Zombie Snack
08-Mar-2014, 03:51 AM
Not the greatest episode but still enjoying season 4 much more than season 3.

Neil
08-Mar-2014, 09:04 AM
Not the greatest episode but still enjoying season 4 much more than season 3.

We need more farming in this series :)

Legion2213
08-Mar-2014, 06:22 PM
We need more farming in this series :)

Lets hope "Lizzie the knife" finds any livestock before Rick does... :D

Neil
08-Mar-2014, 08:27 PM
lets hope "lizzie the knife" finds any livestock before rick does... :d
lol!!

facestabber
08-Mar-2014, 08:58 PM
Lets hope "Lizzie the knife" finds any livestock before Rick does... :D

Whoa I just thought of a satisfying death for that little shit. She hops into livestock pen to play knives with piglets unaware that momma pig is watching. As she draws the knife near, momma pig attacks and mauls her to death.

Buzzbomb
08-Mar-2014, 10:07 PM
... She hops into livestock pen to play knives with piglets...

Reminds me of Rick earlier feeding the piglets to the walkers...

Hmmm... This episode started off great - hiding in the car boot and using the wing mirror/broken headlight and hubcabs was ace... but then it all went downhill...

Was the manikin that spooked Beth a shout-out to Dawn?

Dug the "Tempus Fugit" on the grandfather clock.... but kind of expected Beth to sing too.

Possibly the weakest TWD to date?

Moon Knight
08-Mar-2014, 10:41 PM
Reminds me of Rick earlier feeding the piglets to the walkers...

Hmmm... This episode started off great - hiding in the car boot and using the wing mirror/broken headlight and hubcabs was ace... but then it all went downhill...

Was the manikin that spooked Beth a shout-out to Dawn?

Dug the "Tempus Fugit" on the grandfather clock.... but kind of expected Beth to sing too.

Weakest this season, yes. However, I still prefer it over "Bloodletting" and "Arrow on the Doorpost."

zomtom
09-Mar-2014, 06:14 AM
I just hope to God there's more than two people in the next episode; not counting zombies, of course. The last ten minutes of this episode did not want to end. That conversation just went on and on and on and on...............

ProfessorChaos
09-Mar-2014, 12:37 PM

i would have to say so. emily kinney isn't that good of an actor in my opinion, and darryl's character is about a one-trick pony these days. the burning of the house was silly, and the song playing during that sequence was TERRIBLE. like you, i did have hopes for the first few opening minutes, but once it became clear the entire episode would be spent with those two trying to find booze and playing drinking games, it was another let-down from TWD.....and i still can't get over how shitty that song was at the end. i was laughing out loud at how bad it was.

to each his own, though.

Buzzbomb
09-Mar-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm wondering if the fire will be spotted by one or more of the other prison survivor groups leading to a reunion next episode....

Also - I found Darryl's attitude to alcohol a bit perplexing given how he beat up on the alcoholic army medic guy earlier in the series....

Agree the song at the end was out of place... not sure what that was all about. I did expect Beth to have a little sing along at some point - but alas that was not to happen.

Looking forward to tomorrows episode :)

MinionZombie
09-Mar-2014, 06:49 PM
I found Darryl's attitude to alcohol a bit perplexing given how he beat up on the alcoholic army medic guy earlier in the series....

That was more (or entirely) to do with them being on a mission to find medicine to cure their sick and dying friends, and all Bob wanted to do was get himself a bottle of gut rot, and actively risked their lives at one point to save it. Indeed, he'd already caused a bugger up at the Big Spot supermarket that ended up killing one of their group.

I don't think Daryl thinks that booze is inherently bad (he was rather enjoying a nice bottle of Southern Comfort in 1x06), it's more the context - with Bob it was endangering lives and an infinitely more important mission.