PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! TWD 4x13 "Alone" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

MinionZombie
09-Mar-2014, 11:53 AM
Please keep all talk of episode 4x13 "Alone" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

The Walking Dead Episode 413 – Alone: ”As one group finds what may be an ideal shelter, another group comes to realize that the best protection comes from those around them.”

Written by: Curtis Gwinn
Directed by: Ernest Dickerson

Curtis Gwinn has previously written episode 4x07, and Ernest Dickerson has been a frequent TWD director, giving us these episodes: 4x08, 3x16, 3x01, 2x13, 2x10, 2x02, and 1x05. :)

facestabber
10-Mar-2014, 02:10 AM
I like Bob.

Legion2213
10-Mar-2014, 04:26 AM
Strong episode, felt like it was an hour long, not because it dragged, but because it had so much going on in it, lots of great stuff indeed!

Point one, totally agree with facestabber, Bob has really become a solid character, loved the little flashback to his meeting Darryl & Glenn and how he was living. Really pleased he got lucky with the walker bite as well...and a booze free Bob is a Bob you can trust! This guy seems to have conqoured his demons totally now, and can become a really good character in this show.

More Darryl and Beth gooiness, but I will let it go, because I like them both (Beth totally kidnapped by creepy morgue dude, wonder where he is shacked up?)

Darryl's battle in the morgue was very well done, using the gurney things to get some space between himself and the mini horde, really enjoyed it, as I enjoyed the fog battle in the woods with Maggie's group. I know it's only down to the writing, but it shows that people with the ability to think, improvise and act fast in this word will always have a chance of survival.

Darryl linking up with those psycho guys has potential legs, our people will have a man on the inside if the groups ever come to blows (and you know Darryl will always side with team Rick now). Their leader seems quite the charismatic charmer...where have we seen that before? ;)

Cracking episode all around for my money, really, really enjoyed this one...only 3 left for this season though. I expect if we get to see Terminus, it will only be in the last episode of S4 (the greatest season of TWD so far). :(

Rottedfreak
10-Mar-2014, 08:51 AM
I wonder if Bobs going to end up being...

Gabriel Stokes.

Moderator Note: Added spoiler tags.

kidgloves
10-Mar-2014, 12:03 PM
Much, much better than last week.
That funeral home was clearly a trap and Beth and Daryl's lack of caution was extremely irritating to me. Maybe Beths naivety seems to be rubbing off on Daryl cause they sure are making some stupid decisions.

MinionZombie
10-Mar-2014, 12:43 PM
I'd say Beth was kidnapped by those bad dudes who are probably the...

*cough* Hunters *cough*

It would make sense. Daryl reaches that fork in the road and hangs out, and then those guys just so happen to turn up? Hopefully Beth is okay, I quite like her character, and the Beth/Daryl dynamic worked better in this episode ... typical Daryl luck, though - confirm he's got a crush on Beth and then he's immediately cockblocked by a walker fest. :p

Plenty going on in this episode and I agree with Legion, it felt long in a good way. I was surprised I was only half-way through when I checked the time, so much had been going on. Even though we didn't really discover any new information in the opening montage, it was very good from a thematic stand point, and it's good to get a better look into his character.

The fog assault and the funeral home attack were both pretty damn tense.

Road sign as a weapon? Hell yeah! :D

Three episodes left?! Cor blimey! Yeah, "Terminus" will be like a last minute reveal at the end of the season - blates.

AcesandEights
10-Mar-2014, 01:30 PM
Very enjoyable episode for me. Good characterization, decent action & decent tension. The Daryl/Beth moments were much more enjoyable and seemed less forced this episode and the Bob/Sasha/ Maggie trio seemed to have a nice dynamic and it's great to see the Maggie character interact meaningfully with newer additions to the cast.

I agree that Bob had a very strong episode and comes across as a guy who is doing his best to get along, stay sane and stay true to some level of humanity...the best part is knowing that he has a very hard time doing this all.

My one negative note is that, and I've said this before & saw it harped on a bit by others last episode, they really need to stop using music with lyrics. For whatever reason, it rarely comes off as anything, but cheesy or hoaky when they try. This season hasn't been as bad as others; there has been some really bad faux-country/countryesque music from previous seasons.

Other than that, I don't mind Beth's singing, which is not what I'm talking about above.

JonOfTheShred
10-Mar-2014, 02:06 PM
I thought it was an awesome episode. Every episode this season seems to have a new "zombie moment" where they try to execute something in a fresh way for the zombie genre. Not saying the zombie mist scene hasn't been done in horror before, but it felt fresh, just like the trunk scene last week. Also really enjoyed the funeral gurney technique for taking out zombies. They're toying with Daryl in ways that actually trick me into thinking he might die. The broken arrow, lying in the coffin....seems like they're over-foreshadowing is death, to the point it wouldn't be as surprising if he did die. Truth be told, when it showed him post-kidnapping, I actually thought in my head "This is even worse than dying for Daryl...now he's stuck alone." Cool he's stuck with the Hunters, pretty sure he did the punch to the face to show the new group he's antagonistic in nature.

They're setting a lot of stuff up, hope everything delivers. People are getting bored, but that happens literally every season with every show ever. Hipster mindsets are prevalent in an apathetic society.

I wonder if Bobs going to end up being... Gabriel Stokes.

That would make perfect sense, actually. Good call.

Zombie Snack
10-Mar-2014, 02:53 PM
Very good episode, much better than last week.

MinionZombie
10-Mar-2014, 05:28 PM
The music in this episode worked for me - last week, though? Nope, not at all ... this week it did work. You definitely need musical accompaniment for a montage, and I'd say the lyrics fill the gap in missing dialogue from purely visual moments. Of course, the song has to work, and music is subjective, so there are some songs that just don't work for some people, but for others the track is perfect. Such is life.

I loved it when Maggie was taking names with that parking sign - awesome improvised weapon. :cool:

TWD 4x13 Memes:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-walking-dead-4x13-memes.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8qAKotl5tSY/Ux3yUcWl6iI/AAAAAAAACyg/u9Fi862TVzg/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Beth_Daryl_Serious_ Piggy_Back_Time_4x13_DeadShed.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tW7h1tTJ6RA/Ux3yUTwEn8I/AAAAAAAACys/Z1wd7R29qNU/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Beth_Daryl_Coffin_F ans_Foreshadowing_4x13_DeadShed.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D3bG13T37-U/Ux3yUYcXdQI/AAAAAAAACyw/olUtld8w3as/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_4_Meme_Beth_Daryl_Love_Blo cked_Walkers_4x13_DeadShed.jpg

AcesandEights
10-Mar-2014, 05:44 PM
You definitely need musical accompaniment for a montage, and I'd say the lyrics fill the gap in missing dialogue from purely visual moments.

If acting and cinematography need gap filling in such a way that lyrics are necessary then it sounds like a piss poor product. Though lyrical pieces can certainly work in film and tv (sometimes to brilliant effect), they are hardly necessary constituent components in and of themselves and their inclusion really opens up the risk factor on that personal taste aspect you mentioned.

There have been lyrical choices in TWD that have seemed to me better than others, but they don't generally tend to add much in my perspective. Either way, they're certainly not necessary.

MinionZombie
10-Mar-2014, 06:13 PM
Not saying they're "necessary", just speaking more generally about their function or intention. I think it depends on the sequence, sometimes you can have quite a clear montage or (essentially) purely visual moment (e.g. 'the mercy of the living' sequence in 1x01 where it was just the beautiful score) ... with other montages they're spread out over a longer period of time and they're more ethereal from a character stand point, seeing them go through changes as they wander the landscape, their emotions and mental state shifting and such, so lyrics can work very well.

A song choice I hated though was in season 3 when it's revealed that Andrea is tied up in that chair (the camera moves into the building and through corridors) ... that song didn't fit at all. Whatsoever. Hated that needle drop.

On the other hand, in 4x06, the Governor's return was accompanied well by "The Last Pale Light in the West".

I didn't fancy the song last week, but this week's song worked ... although yes, we don't need too much of that, and it would be nice to have a really nice bit of score in some of those kind of moments, but again it has to be something that fits (go back to what I was saying about defined moments versus ethereal montages).

Morto Vivente
10-Mar-2014, 11:17 PM
Another good episode in what's surely the strongest season of TWD so far. :hyper:

Not saying they're "necessary", just speaking more generally about their function or intention. I think it depends on the sequence, sometimes you can have quite a clear montage or (essentially) purely visual moment (e.g. 'the mercy of the living' sequence in 1x01 where it was just the beautiful score) ... with other montages they're spread out over a longer period of time and they're more ethereal from a character stand point, seeing them go through changes as they wander the landscape, their emotions and mental state shifting and such, so lyrics can work very well.

I agree, the accompaniment of "Civilian" by Wye Oak in the closing scene of "18 Miles Out" really drove home Shane's inner emotional state, kind of a musical/lyrical soliloquay. IMO a great example of music adding something to the mix. But yeah, last week's selection was way off the mark. It's a tough task to get right and even then, like you say MZ it's rather subjective, but when it works, IT WORKS! :D

facestabber
11-Mar-2014, 01:24 AM
Music with lyrics can work but it's very subjective. However Bear Mcreary's "Mercy of the living" is one of the best scores I've ever heard. Something about that really hits home with how I connected to Rick Grimes. I followed season ones development, hoping and praying that it would deliver and it absolutely delivered. I always hear that score in my head when I think of Rick Grimes and it reminds me that he is a good man. I absolutely love it and listen to it on my iPod......and that's coming from a Metalhead \m/!!!!!! My rambling is all over the place here but my point is the scores without lyrics tend to be more memorable.

Neil
11-Mar-2014, 08:16 AM
Well, I really liked that episode. Plenty going on, and it was great flicking backwards and forwards between the groups.

Not entirely sold on the idea of Maggie just happening to be lying in the exact car park next to that exact building... But OK...

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2014, 11:07 AM
Something I noticed upon closer inspection was that there was a kind of 'cross' in the rear window of the car that took beth. It almost looked like an inverted cross, but it was pretty close to a "+" ... now, I do recall that in season 2 there was a subplot involving a nutso preacher that got cut out for time and focus reasons, but I wonder if they're somehow bringing that idea back? That might make some sense considering they were at a funeral parlour ... or it could just be the guys who come across Daryl at the fork in the road.

Morto Vivente
11-Mar-2014, 12:45 PM
A crazy preacher could be a great plotline, on the surface I'd rather that than the "Hunters" being responsible for Beth's kidnapping, end of the world and all that. Maybe they could aid Daryl in her rescue (but obviously for very different reasons), assuming the preacher is an out and out antagonist.

Moon Knight
11-Mar-2014, 01:31 PM
Good episode. Did anyone notice if the man that Rick killed in the bathroom was present with Joe and the other bandits? I wouldn't be surprised if Daryl's story is far ahead of the others in timeline.

Bob has become extremely likeable and his dead man walking montage was great. I've known people who would drink cold medicine for a buzz. Loved the little touches. I'm now rooting for Bob and hope he makes it past this season.

I noticed the cross on the car as well, MZ. My first thought of course was Father Gabriel.

Beth walks into a hunter trap, hmmmm.

Like I mentioned in the precious thread, once again, more foreshadowing as Daryl rest himself inside of that coffin. They are getting a bit too obvious now.

I don't mind music with Lyrics if it fits. My favorite still being "Serpents." However, music every episode? No thanks. I prefer original pieces.

Maggie's stop sign decapitation was great and the fog scene was brilliant; even though I had already scene it multiple times.

So now, with the exception of Daryl and Beth, everyone is on their way to Terminus.

Looking forward to next week as one of my favorites, Tyreese, gets his much needed airtime.

AcesandEights
11-Mar-2014, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Daryl's story is far ahead of the others in timeline.
Good point!

Tyreese, gets his much needed airtime.
You mean hammertime? :D

Moon Knight
11-Mar-2014, 02:39 PM
Hammertime!!!!

RickGrimes
11-Mar-2014, 04:26 PM
I wonder if Bobs going to end up being...

Gabriel Stokes.

This certainly isn't impossible but I would point out that Bob is actually a character from the the comic series and from the tie-in novels.

Bob's Wikipedia Entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_The_Walking_Dead#Bob)

JonOfTheShred
11-Mar-2014, 05:56 PM
Music with lyrics can work but it's very subjective. However Bear Mcreary's "Mercy of the living" is one of the best scores I've ever heard. Something about that really hits home with how I connected to Rick Grimes. I followed season ones development, hoping and praying that it would deliver and it absolutely delivered. I always hear that score in my head when I think of Rick Grimes and it reminds me that he is a good man. I absolutely love it and listen to it on my iPod......and that's coming from a Metalhead \m/!!!!!! My rambling is all over the place here but my point is the scores without lyrics tend to be more memorable.

I agree, that is a good track. But unfortunately it's literally the ONLY track in Walking Dead that is memorable and doesn't sound like generic orchestra. The Governor had a cool musical cue too, the pulsing synth. Too bad everything else sounds so generic and obvious. The music is my one big disappointment in the series.

- - - Updated - - -

I do recall that in season 2 there was a subplot involving a nutso preacher that got cut out for time and focus reasons, but I wonder if they're somehow bringing that idea back?

What subplot are you referencing? Was this just alluded to in cast interviews or something? Never heard of a crazy preacher storyline being cut. If anything, sounds like a yin to the yang of the CDC Season 1 finale.

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2014, 07:03 PM
I noticed the cross on the car as well, MZ. My first thought of course was Father Gabriel.

Beth walks into a hunter trap, hmmmm.

Like I mentioned in the precious thread, once again, more foreshadowing as Daryl rest himself inside of that coffin. They are getting a bit too obvious now.

1) RE: the spoiler tag ... yeah, could be ... thematically it might make sense too being that Beth is also from a strongly religious family, and with all her talk of hope etc.

The preview scene in Talking Dead this week was really friggin' creepy.

Theory on that preview scene of next week's episode:
I'm thinking that, yes, Beth has been taken by a preacher of some sort. It didn't look like the sort of house a hunter would occupy - it definitely felt more like a permanent abode, rather than a temporary camp. The music, too, had that old timey shiver-inducing factor to it ... but who's the girl playing tag with a walker? Bloody creepy-looking scene there ... I've got high hopes for it as the episode is written by Gimple.

2) There is a lot of foreshadowing going on, they've maybe overdone it, but is that a bluff on top of a bluff? Either way, it's good to see such a capable character also getting into serious danger - close calls (e.g. in 4x08 - that was excruciatingly close!) and the like.

What subplot are you referencing? Was this just alluded to in cast interviews or something? Never heard of a crazy preacher storyline being cut. If anything, sounds like a yin to the yang of the CDC Season 1 finale.

It was glimpsed in the season two deleted scenes (e.g. when Dale, on the farm, sneaks a craft ciggie and turns on the car to use the lighter, but the radio comes on, and there's a voice on the radio - a crazy preacher type ... in the commentary for those scenes, IIRC, Mazzara mentioned that they were going to do a subplot involving a nutty preacher, but I think it got cut out later into the writing process, so the one or two small hints at it earlier on were cut).

Good one for Sasha and Bob, too - the benefit of these episode focusing more closely on much smaller groups is that some of those who are new/newish/not-too-upfront in the main stories, can now get some appropriate air time. Although I still feel, somewhat, that Tyreese has yet to live up to his potential ... we've had much more out of him this season than last, which is excellent (e.g. epic hammer time when they were searching for meds), but I'd like to get to know him deeper ... find out what makes him tick a little more. We've had some good backstory for Michonne and Bob recently, for example.

Then again, poor old Tyreese has got three kids and a pyromaniac to look after ... ain't got time for no damn backstory, hehe, there's shit to be done! :D

Moon Knight
11-Mar-2014, 10:44 PM
That my issue with Tyreese. Due to the fact that he was introduced at a later time, he still doesn't feel as an important or strong character as he was portrayed in the books. Hell, him and Rick have barely interacted up until this point.

Here's hoping "The Grove" finally elevates him to his proper status.

Buzzbomb
11-Mar-2014, 11:20 PM
A great episode that left me eager to find out what happens next week...

Highlights: - I thought Maggie showed great initiative leaving notes in blood for Glen. Bob nearly getting bit was ace too... though how walkers can bite through denim trousers but not get through a bandage is a bit questionable. I guess Bob got lucky:)

The undertakers was just oddball creepy. I mean Darryl must be old enough to be Beth's father... when they started the alternate head shots in tighter focus I felt like puking.

I liked how they started and finished the episode with a lone character joining another group & the contrast between the two encounters.

Thanks for the moderator spoiler tags - for those of us who haven't seen the comics, it's appreciated.

PS: Largely the music on TWD has been ok - though (for me) farmer Rick listening to The Stanley Brothers ("Precious Memories") has to be the neatest. I'd love to hear the Dead Kennedy's "Dead End" at some point....

MinionZombie
12-Mar-2014, 11:14 AM
On the Beth/Daryl age gap.

Well, by now, Beth must be 19 (she was 17 in season 2, probably coming up to 18), and I don't know if Daryl has ever been given an age, but I'd imagine they've got him somewhere in his mid-to-late-30s ... so there is quite an age gap, but at the same time they're both legal, and Daryl is in many respects much younger in mind than in body.

Reedus is 45 (but looks younger) while Kinney is 27/28 (and likewise looks younger) ... so about 18 years between them, and it's probably something similar with their character ages. Unusual, yes, but not illegal, and like I said, Daryl's emotional age is far younger than his physical age (although how old Daryl actually is is something we don't really know, I don't think) ... plus, it's the apocalypse. Maybe it's more like a crush.

I liked the bit where Daryl was just sat at the fork in the road - totally alone - just as Beth said would happen eventually, the worst thing that could happen to him.

So the thug who Rick killed in the bathroom was part of the gang that picked up Daryl? I didn't notice that, I'll have to go back and look if that's indeed the case ... the timeframe of these episoes is a little unsure ... but, even though the script was unclear about time, when we next saw Rick talking with Michonne in the kitchen (when she was going on about having found a nice clean new shirt) his wounds were significantly better. I think it was the line about him being 'passed out' all day the previous day that confused matters as that suggested hardly any time had passed (in spite of his far more healed-up look), and if he's on-the-mend, then why would he have spent a whole day passed out?

That is a frustration for me with this show - the definition of passing time between and during episodes. It's difficult to do, I guess, when you've got multiple groups to look at, so you're no doubt jumping backwards and then forward again in time with each group ... so yeah, maybe the 'under the bed' episode was a good couple of weeks after the fall of the prison. They certainly looked quite at home before they were invaded.

Legion2213
12-Mar-2014, 12:14 PM
Age doesn't really matter in this world, it's not like Beth and Darryl could settle down and after a few years, Beth wants to start going to night clubs or have a career while Darryl is more content to work late at the office or play golf with his buddies or anything.

Relationships would be rendered far more basic and old fashioned in PA society. Especially when your life could end any day soon.

JonOfTheShred
12-Mar-2014, 03:05 PM
1)

It was glimpsed in the season two deleted scenes (e.g. when Dale, on the farm, sneaks a craft ciggie and turns on the car to use the lighter, but the radio comes on, and there's a voice on the radio - a crazy preacher type ... in the commentary for those scenes, IIRC, Mazzara mentioned that they were going to do a subplot involving a nutty preacher, but I think it got cut out later into the writing process, so the one or two small hints at it earlier on were cut).

Ah, ok, I actually do remember that scene. Didn't realize it was going to be the basis of an entire subplot, kind of an interesting concept.

I noticed the cross right away too. Someone earlier mentioned they think Bob might be Father Gabriel, which would make sense given his wandering around, losing two groups (maybe one group was his 'flock') and having faith restored post-prison. But I'm starting to think maybe they're relatives? Father Gabriel's last name is Stokes, Bob's is Stookey, right? Pretty close.

Morto Vivente
12-Mar-2014, 05:34 PM
So the thug who Rick killed in the bathroom was part of the gang that picked up Daryl?

I didn't recognize the bandit from the bathroom, but the gang leader who Daryl slugs is revealed in the earlier episode while standing on the porch, just prior to the "exploding walker bomb".

- - - Updated - - -

Age doesn't really matter in this world, it's not like Beth and Darryl could settle down and after a few years, Beth wants to start going to night clubs or have a career while Darryl is more content to work late at the office or play golf with his buddies or anything.

Relationships would be rendered far more basic and old fashioned in PA society. Especially when your life could end any day soon.

Agreed. IMO the age of consent so to speak would drop rapidly the longer the ZA progressed, for many reasons. No enforcement of prior ZA laws, less judgement from peers based on extinct cultural considerations, the instinctual drive for the survival of the species etc.

MinionZombie
12-Mar-2014, 05:38 PM
I didn't recognize the bandit from the bathroom, but the gang leader who Daryl slugs is revealed in the earlier episode while standing on the porch, just prior to the "exploding walker bomb".

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. IMO the age of consent so to speak would drop rapidly the longer the ZA progressed, for many reasons. No enforcement of prior ZA laws, less judgement from peers based on extinct cultural considerations, the instinctual drive for the survival of the species etc.

1) Oh, I thought it was said that the bathroom guy was in that group? Not that I noticed either way, and they never mentioned such a thing on Talking Dead, so ... well, anyway, yeah, I knew it was the same gang from Rick's temporary house. There was no way they'd just leave those guys to a single episode.

2) It'd be a gradual thing. I think age gaps wouldn't be so much of an issue, but I still think the age of consent would continue for a good generation or two at least. It might be watered down slightly in the PA world, but I think that's a pre-apoc code of conduct that most people would be glad to keep around. However, yeah, there would be instances of 'borderline fiddlers' indulging themselves ... yeuch.

The Governor is one kind of evil ... but these roaming packs of thugs are an entirely different kind of evil ... might you say worse?

zombieparanoia
12-Mar-2014, 07:14 PM
I thought this was one of the better episodes in a while. The intro with Bob was spot on for portraying the loneliness of being someone who "just keeps surviving". I really liked how they had him being smart about where he sheltered and slept, i think they're starting to do that with eeryone more, less just sleeping out in the open. I thought the daryl and beth parts were really good. I didn't really get why it took so long to catch up to maggie or later, bob, when maggie was in the lead she had maybe a few hours on them, bob should have barely been ahead of them. I did like how bob was basically happy because he wasn't alone, post zombie apocalypse, I'm sure you really do appreciate the little things.

Not sure about daryl joining up with this new group, I hope it's not long term or a "daryl goes bad" because he thinks he lost beth forever.

Neil
12-Mar-2014, 08:02 PM
1) Oh, I thought it was said that the bathroom guy was in that group?Wouldn't it be funny if...

Silly unrealistic guess:-
Daryl was in Rick's house downstairs!!!

sandrock74
12-Mar-2014, 08:34 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if...

Silly unrealistic guess:-
Daryl was in Rick's house downstairs!!!

My roommate and I discussed that point. Good to know we're not the only ones who thought of that.

As far as coupling goes, I think the age of 18 goes out the window after "The Turn". Basically, any female of child-bearing age would be considered fair game; much the way its always been until more recent times.

ProfessorChaos
12-Mar-2014, 09:44 PM
bob's character and his attitude are growing on me, which is good since i cannot stand over half of the characters on the show anymore. speaking of which:

anyone else totally bewildered by the way the ultimate ZA badass darryl motherfuckin dixon nonchalantly opens the door thinking the dog was outside again? you can clearly see walkers' faces just outside the door if you take even the quickest glance between those boards....

the writers on this show really need to step their game up and stop making the characters unlikeable by having them doing moronic things and making completely out-of-character decisions just to build tension. all it would have taken is about a ten second clip of the dog being on the porch, darryl attempting to get it to approach him, then the dog could have taken off around the corner of the house and boom! convenient walker attack. or a quick bark, scratching at the door, and they open to the door to see the dog is being attacked and cornered on the porch, then the walkers turn on darryl and beth....either way, that jump-scare/instant tension bit just reeked of shitty writing that could've been handled much better without altering things too much.

shootemindehead
12-Mar-2014, 10:27 PM
My roommate and I discussed that point. Good to know we're not the only ones who thought of that.

You weren't. It crossed my mind too.

Wasn't there a lot of screaming going on downstairs when the bandits first came into "Ricks house" ? I seem to recall the sounds of someone getting done over.

Maybe they were stringing Daryl along and decided to bust him up in the kitchen.

sandrock74
12-Mar-2014, 10:49 PM

Wasn't there a lot of screaming going on downstairs when the bandits first came into "Ricks house" ? I seem to recall the sounds of someone getting done over.

Maybe they were stringing Daryl along and decided to bust him up in the kitchen.

I was under the impression that they were being obnoxious/roughing each other up. Typical uncouth behavior when you enter someone's home.

Moon Knight
12-Mar-2014, 11:25 PM
I loved how they ended the episode the same way it started. A lone survivor getting discovered and picked up by another group; even though the circumstances are totally different. A nice touch.

Edit: I'm calling it now, the person who kidnapped Beth will be...

Newcomer Gareth. A cannibalistic Pastor who just happens to be the leader of The Hunters. The Sanctuary is a trap!

Sounds crazy I know.

facestabber
13-Mar-2014, 12:11 AM
bob's character and his attitude are growing on me, which is good since i cannot stand over half of the characters on the show anymore. speaking of which:

anyone else totally bewildered by the way the ultimate ZA badass darryl motherfuckin dixon nonchalantly opens the door thinking the dog was outside again? you can clearly see walkers' faces just outside the door if you take even the quickest glance between those boards....

the writers on this show really need to step their game up and stop making the characters unlikeable by having them doing moronic things and making completely out-of-character decisions just to build tension. all it would have taken is about a ten second clip of the dog being on the porch, darryl attempting to get it to approach him, then the dog could have taken off around the corner of the house and boom! convenient walker attack. or a quick bark, scratching at the door, and they open to the door to see the dog is being attacked and cornered on the porch, then the walkers turn on darryl and beth....either way, that jump-scare/instant tension bit just reeked of shitty writing that could've been handled much better without altering things too much.

I agree with you. I understand complacency happens but it's over the top when Daryl friggin Dixon can uncharacteristiclly open a door without looking. Even worse the walkers outside were standing by silent and idol but prepared to jump a person that opens a door. The writers do some lazy ass shit from time to time.

ProfessorChaos
13-Mar-2014, 12:27 AM
^

didn't really notice how quiet they were, compared to their usual annoying, gnashing, hissing, snarling selves, which is a major pet peeve of mine on this show. kinda funny how they weren't making a sound, given how they are almost always depicted as being loud and non-stop with their noise-making.

being a writer on TWD must be an easy-as-piss job....:lol:

zombieparanoia
13-Mar-2014, 07:31 AM
With the "daryl casually opens door" scene, i also didn't understand how he got separated from beth. He opened the door, zombies come in, why didn't he back straight up the way he approached the door from?

Neil
13-Mar-2014, 07:42 AM
With the "daryl casually opens door" scene, i also didn't understand how he got separated from beth. He opened the door, zombies come in, why didn't he back straight up the way he approached the door from?

I think he basically wanted her to be safe/escape while he distracted them/killed them?

blind2d
16-Mar-2014, 04:57 AM
Neil is right. That was the line of thought there. Also, she was kidnapped? I thought she drove off... Wasn't really clear to me. But then, I'm slow, so...

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2014, 11:46 AM
Neil is right. That was the line of thought there. Also, she was kidnapped? I thought she drove off... Wasn't really clear to me. But then, I'm slow, so...

She was kidnapped - where did that car come from otherwise, and why wouldn't she wait for Daryl?

Daryl's gonna have to use his particular set of skills ... shit's on!

kidgloves
16-Mar-2014, 01:49 PM

Apparently someone's transcribed the dialogue from the closed captions and there is mention of a bowman. The dialogue alludes to them beating the guy up because he's done something wrong. If it's true, I'm taking it as another guy with a bow hence the conversation with Daryl on the road.

Buzzbomb
16-Mar-2014, 11:15 PM
I didn't spot that the gang who picked up Darryl were the same bunch that interrupted Rick's nap a couple of episodes back.... A good call!

Re-watching this episode, the guy next to Joe looks from his bandana to be the same dude who passed out when Rick was under the bed - so the gang had picked up Darryl before they encountered the house / Rick.

If Darryl was at the house, he would have recognised the shirt Michone had washed, if he'd seen it - and the commotion downstairs refers to the womans shirt in the wash.... I also thought I glimpsed him go up the stairs when Rick was going room to room (prior to the toilet encounter)... but I think this was the guy with the bow & arrow.

Question is - Did Rick inadverently kill Darryl by setting the soon to be walker in the bathroom loose in the house?

Time will no doubt tell...

PS: Are the Walkers getting louder this season? Too loud I think - and yes despite having the tin can walker alarm system in place those sneaky zombies on the porch were as quiet as church mice.

ProfessorChaos
16-Mar-2014, 11:23 PM
i really hope that darryl wasn't with the group that barged into rick's sanctuary.....strictly on the hopes that the writers aren't putting episodes out of chronological order for the sake of trying to keep things "interesting".

and yes, the ninja zombies are still out there when the writers feel it's convenient for the plot.